Rumor: Noah Hanifin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
But wait...Hold up...I was under the impression that everything was 'solved' once that boomer-meanie Darryl Sutter was fired??!!

:laugh:
The problem is people hate it when they have authority that is hard on them. Take school for instance. Everyone loves the fun teacher and hates the strict teacher. But who do you learn more from? Typically, not always I'll give in, but typically it is the strict teacher.

I get why people hate the "coaching carousel" because it's like a regurgitation of coaches everywhere, but sometimes you need a hard ass (not a cu*t ass*ole, a hard ass, difference). Lalonde seems like he is a players coach and that is great, but I don't see that hard ass in him. Sutter was a hard ass, but he got your ass to perform. Not going to get into it with Babcock because he is a special kind of ass*ole, but he got his players to play at high levels. Maybe it was because they feared what he may do if they didn't, but again, not going to get into it here.

Yes, I know you are making a joke btw. But it is obvious their current coach is just not connecting with the team or is just bad. Huberdeau is -12...that is insane. He isn't a world renowned player but jesus, he is better than that.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
The problem is people hate it when they have authority that is hard on them. Take school for instance. Everyone loves the fun teacher and hates the strict teacher. But who do you learn more from? Typically, not always I'll give in, but typically it is the strict teacher.

I get why people hate the "coaching carousel" because it's like a regurgitation of coaches everywhere, but sometimes you need a hard ass (not a cu*t ass*ole, a hard ass, difference). Lalonde seems like he is a players coach and that is great, but I don't see that hard ass in him. Sutter was a hard ass, but he got your ass to perform. Not going to get into it with Babcock because he is a special kind of ass*ole, but he got his players to play at high levels. Maybe it was because they feared what he may do if they didn't, but again, not going to get into it here.

Yes, I know you are making a joke btw. But it is obvious their current coach is just not connecting with the team or is just bad. Huberdeau is -12...that is insane. He isn't a world renowned player but jesus, he is better than that.
Part joking - part serious...Another example would be with what has Keefe done since Babcock left?

Same can be said about Lalonde...Other than roster moves made by Yzerman - some nights this team looks as though Blashill is still behind the bench.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Part joking - part serious...Another example would be with what has Keefe done since Babcock left?

Same can be said about Lalonde...Other than roster moves made by Yzerman - some nights this team looks as though Blashill is still behind the bench.
completely agree with lalonde. If we put blashill back there, is there much of a difference in play?

I hate dump and chase hockey, especially if you don't have the players to execute it correctly. Passing has shown to be obviously important, who woulda thunk it.

Reactions: FMichael

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
Check out his post history.

Feel free to post anything you find in there that proves he's an insider or has "connections".

His posts are well thought out and he clearly knows the game. But again, that's about it.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I know some don't think about it anymore, but the cap is a real thing.

Seider
Raymond
Rasmussen

Are up for new contracts.

That will eat away at cap space.

Reactions: JohanFranzenstein

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Ok, then look at how few players we have under contract for 24-25.

I just would rather not pay Hanifin, when I think younger, and cheaper players coming up will be a top 4dman.

EDIT: fair point

Last edited:

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I know some don't think about it anymore, but the cap is a real thing.

Seider
Raymond
Rasmussen

Are up for new contracts.

That will eat away at cap space.
rasmussen isn't going to get that big of a pay increase though. Raymond is looking more and more to have a bridge deal around 3-5 years. Seider is the only one that we need to worry about.

Even then, We will be able to LTIR fabbri at some point with his 1 year left after this year (sadface) and perron should be done after this season. That's 8+ mil and those two will have their salary replaced, essentially by raymond and rasmussen. The cap goes up at least what 6 mil and we already have 5-6 mil available right now?

include the traded players to calgary with some of the proposals said before, you could realistically have this lineup by game 1 2024-25 (if kane doesn't work out because of his injury or whatever, you can substitute who you want, its a placeholder essentially):

1699487872968.png

Brings the kids up to play, surrounds them with veteran leadership everywhere and we still got 4.6 mil for cap left. I do think Seider gets more than 8 but i guessed there. Lalonde said him and yzerman were hoping mazur was pushing for a spot in training camp, even with the logjam, so it could be possible he makes it. Instead of soderblom, you could bring up kasper/danielson instead and rearrange the lines. I didn't care about line combos so let's not get hung up on that.

Someone somewhere suggested hanifin is getting 7 mil, so that's what I gave him. I traded maatta+ for hanifin to get here by trade deadline 2023-2024 season. Of which is very easy to fit under the cap with current cap space and even if we did sign Kane to a 1x4 deal. I bought out petry too.

Last edited:

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
That trade proposal is so patently ridiculous Yzerman would complete the trade before the offer was on the table for 30 seconds.

A 26 year-old 2nd pairing anchor.... sure. This team needs so much help, and that D is far from set. Losing only Wallinder, a pick and future NHL full time player, while dumping a stable of washed up D men works for the Wings but Calgary isn't biting on that deal.

Reactions: jaster

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
The problem is we have offense (at least much more than last year) but we don't have defense. We got all these guys in to play defense and they just can't play it. Imagine if we could pass to each other......

We cannot pass the damn puck to each other if our lives depended on it. So, we need a puck moving defenseman that can pass it on someone's tape instead of trying to get it through 3 guys and between someone elses legs (looking at you dbc, ghost, etc). I was against getting hanifin because essentially of your first point before this quoted post, but even if Ed becomes Lidstrom, you cannot expect that greatness the first callup. Imagine if Hanifin stays pretty good (which is a good possibility) and can then teach Ed. Then our left side turns into Walman - Hanifin - Ed. That is a damn good left side and I'd trade all our D on the roster (that play LD) for that all day and it's weird that you wouldn't do the same.

Also, imagine if Walman says fu*k it after his current contract expires and wants 10 mil and detroit says no. Now you are hoping to god that Ed, Wallinder, Aljo (which yes it is a possibility) all pan out? A lot of people also thought brendan smith was going to be a top 10-15 D. ***disclaimer: I don't think Walman would do that and if he continues his current play from last/this year I could see some teams paying that 10 even though it would be probably an overpayment, but then again, I didn't think Fedorov would ever leave detroit because of whatever reasons and he left for money, essentially***

I would trade all of Chiarot, Maatta, Petry, one top D prospect, and some kind of pick to have Hanifin and Ed on the roster tomorrow. That would immediately improve our defense significantly (and it seems like I am one of the few on here that still likes maatta). I would prefer that we try to get Lindholm in the same trade package as Hanifin, but if it is a forgone conclusion (not saying that it is) that lindholm isn't coming to detroit, then you got to do something for your defense. Our defense is just so bad and they chase way too much. Leaves Husso in the dust and he doesn't need more help in playing bad.
I just want to say there is no reality in any universe where Walman makes 10M

Reactions: Pavels Dog

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I'm not particularly looking for Hanifin, I'd actually like Lindholm if we're speaking with Calgary but considering the offer. I think this deal would be already done... It's cheap, imo. Guys young too at 26 and fits the rebuild(we're not in a rebuild anymore) time-line.

( Maatta or Chiarot, Wallinder, Cross Hanas, and a pick(not a first rdp.)

That's not a lot for a guy that'll come in and idk, be your 2nd best defender? I'm also though not particularly looking for a trade like this, I'll kick the dead-horse an say I'd like a top-notch C more or any goal scorer over any LHD.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm not particularly looking for Hanifin, I'd actually like Lindholm if we're speaking with Calgary but considering the offer. I think this deal would be already done... It's cheap, imo. Guys young too at 26 and fits the rebuild(we're not in a rebuild anymore) time-line.

( Maatta or Chiarot, Wallinder, Cross Hanas, and a pick(not a first rdp.)

That's not a lot for a guy that'll come in and idk, be your 2nd best defender? I'm also though not particularly looking for a trade like this, I'll kick the dead-horse an say I'd like a top-notch C more or any goal scorer over any LHD.

I don't know, I might argue that it is quite a bit for a guy who is a UFA at the end of the season. If we were looking at this deal in a few months, we'd probably be looking at Hanifin maybe pulling a 1st and change. That lack of control really hurts his value, just like it is going to hurt Lindholm's when (if) Calgary puts him on the market.

I can see this being the best offer on the table right now and Calgary holding out hoping for more.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I don't know, I might argue that it is quite a bit for a guy who is a UFA at the end of the season. If we were looking at this deal in a few months, we'd probably be looking at Hanifin maybe pulling a 1st and change. That lack of control really hurts his value, just like it is going to hurt Lindholm's when (if) Calgary puts him on the market.

I can see this being the best offer on the table right now and Calgary holding out hoping for more.
Yes, if they won't let teams negotiate with him prior I could see them not getting a ton. With that said, I have no idea why a team would short change themselves just to be petty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad