Rumor: Noah Hanifin

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
If Conroy doesn't let any GM talk to Hanifin/his agent, he's only tanking the trade return.
Very true. But we've seen GMs do stupider things. I remember arguing this same thing as well with OTT fans last year that no GM in their right mind would offer a package if they couldn't negotiate ahead of time and OTT fans seemed pretty confident that it was the right move to have other GM's blindly offer their best offer because if "they knew he wouldn't sign with them, they wouldn't make an offer". or some nonsense like that.

The point here wasn't to argue Hanifin other that to have the forum consider... Hanifin might not want to come to us, and he has a say in this given the circumstances, regardless of whether or not Stevie trades for him

Reactions: Stony Curtis

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
27 is basically the prime age for a defender. Locking up Hanifin would help stabilize the blue line for half a decade.

The best Yzerman team building comparable would be when he brought in McDonagh to Tampa.

He signed McDonagh to a 7x6.75 deal that started in his age 30 season.

I guess my next question is wasn't Tampa basically in win-now mode when he did that?
With the Hronek trade it seems like Yzerman thinks the Wings are still a few seasons away.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I guess my next question is wasn't Tampa basically in win-now mode when he did that?
With the Hronek trade it seems like Yzerman thinks the Wings are still a few seasons away.
The team has way outperformed expectations this year. If Yzerman thinks this team is a contender heading into July 1 he doesn't sign Holl to a three year deal.

This team's window is open now and if would be foolish not to take advantage.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
The team has way outperformed expectations this year. If Yzerman thinks this team is a contender heading into July 1 he doesn't sign Holl to a three year deal.

This team's window is open now and if would be foolish not to take advantage.
Yeah, the biggest question mark was scoring and it sure looks like Yzerman has addressed that. We have 3 guys capable of scoring 30 goals and about 4 capable of hitting 20. Goalie is being addressed through numbers with Lyon being the surprise. Nedeljkovic was the guy two years ago and last year it was Husso. We keep that approach until either Augustine or Cossa are ready to rock.

Having Seider, Hanafin and Edvinsson locked into your top 4 for the next 7 or so years would be awesome and signal we are ready to start competing.

We are making a big assumption here that he even wants to sign with us. Hanafin is a Boston kid, BOS has a significant need for a player like him. This might be a Debrincat situation
I assumed we would be able to sign Jacob Trouba for free because he grew up in Rochester. He had different ideas. I would be sure to gauge Hanafin's interest in a long term deal, that has to be part of any trade IMO.

Reactions: PelagicJoe

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I think SY at the time felt the team wasnt good enough to make 2023 NHL playoffs and we had some assets to sell during an "elite" draft year...that's as much as I would read into that..

I think every single move made since then was because he no longer felt we were a rebuilding team..

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
walman - seider
chiarot - andersson
maatta - gostisbehere
petry

if we are going after andersson instead (not sure he wants to live long term in the place that gave him a hit and run fun-time lol) then we need to trade maatta/holl and ghost, bring up edvinsson.

walman - seider
Edvinsson - andersson
chiarot - petry
holl/maatta

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023

The Hanifin file has been a grind for the Flames, as Hanifin’s camp is more or less holding the trade process hostage, flexing his power as a pending free agent to sway interested suitors. Officially, Hanifin can only block a trade to eight teams via his limited ‘no-trade’ clause. In reality, all Hanifin’s camp has to do is quietly signal to an interested party that he will not be willing to sign there long-term and it effectively kills the potential of a deal. So, who is on the list of teams where Hanifin would entertain a new deal? That part isn’t entirely clear, but is believed to include Tampa Bay and Florida, plus potentially Boston, Los Angeles and Vegas. Not entirely sure where New Jersey stands, also believed to be one of the teams interested. The problem for the Flames is that some (many?) of those teams do not have the assets Calgary wants to make a deal. The net result may be a return the Flames feel isn’t commensurate with his value.

AlwaysSunnyInDetroit

Oct 1, 2021

if we are going after andersson instead (not sure he wants to live long term in the place that gave him a hit and run fun-time lol) then we need to trade maatta/holl and ghost, bring up edvinsson.

walman - seider
Edvinsson - andersson
chiarot - petry
holl/maatta

oops, i didn't know about the accident haha. still, i think i'd be better for us since he has 2 years left after this one at a reasonable cap hit, plays the more valuable side and can fill in on the top pair if seider goes down. fits our timeline better for asp coming over too

trading maatta, holl, ghost and bringing up edvinsson all sound like good things to me!

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
oops, i didn't know about the accident haha. still, i think i'd be better for us since he has 2 years left after this one at a reasonable cap hit, plays the more valuable side and can fill in on the top pair if seider goes down. fits our timeline better for asp coming over too

trading maatta, holl, ghost and bringing up edvinsson all sound like good things to me!
don't get me wrong, I'd be good with andersson and i think we all probably would be, I just think you can't not trade ghost. A defensive pairing of chiarot and ghost makes me want to shoot myself, responsibly.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
the problem is nobody is playing bad lol (a good problem to have) and the players we want to get rid of nobody will want
yeah its annoying

I wanted petry punted and all of a sudden him and chiarot are clicking like a dominating shut down defensive pairing so how can you get rid of petry. Maatta was playing ok but he is a great trade bait player, yet he hasn't really made any big issues/mistakes recently.

Ghost on the other hand, just because you score two very nice goals in one game does not mean you are safe buddy. I am all over that ass to get traded.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
The expiring UFA on a 1 year deal who has been on 3 teams in 3 years and was moved at 2 of the last 3 deadlines….???
Yes, the expiring UFA who leads Detroit defensemen in scoring on a team that's currently in playoff position.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yes, the expiring UFA who leads Detroit defensemen in scoring on a team that's currently in playoff position.
If they’ve had a conversation about re-signing and it’s not looking likely and another team wants to pay for him, I think he could get moved.

I don’t think you should ever be shocked if an expiring UFA that’s only been with you for a year gets moved. Just my opinion though.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
If they’ve had a conversation about re-signing and it’s not looking likely and another team wants to pay for him, I think he could get moved.

I don’t think you should ever be shocked if an expiring UFA that’s only been with you for a year gets moved. Just my opinion though.
I think he'd return a 2nd, max. Not worth disrupting the team for a 2nd at this point.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think he'd return a 2nd, max. Not worth disrupting the team for a 2nd at this point.
We’ll see what the Wings do. I have some questions if he’s the kind of defenseman you really want on your team in a playoff series. I’ve seen him get manhandled in some playoff series before. He has been giving us juice offensively lately though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad