Rumor: Noah Hanifin

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Let me just make sure I understand some of you. In a scenario where we could acquire Hanifin for a reasonable price to clearly improve the team, we should turn it down because we have a greater need to improve a different aspect of the team and we need to hoard our resources for a scenario that may or may not happen where we are able to address that greater need via trade.

That is crazy.

If Yzerman can get Hanifin for an acceptable price, you do it. My god, what has this rebuild done to some of your brains :eek:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Let me just make sure I understand some of you. In a scenario where we could acquire Hanifin for a reasonable price to clearly improve the team, we should turn it down because we have a greater need to improve a different aspect of the team and we need to hoard our resources for a scenario that may or may not happen where we are able to address that greater need via trade.

That is crazy.

If Yzerman can get Hanifin for an acceptable price, you do it. My god, what has this rebuild done to some of your brains :eek:

What's an acceptable price?

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
What's an acceptable price?
As a general rule, i don't play fantasy hockey unless I'm playing actual fantasy hockey, but.....

Well for one, we can start with the OP. Even at that small price people here were saying to pass and go for a forward instead.
This. Just going by the OP and how people replied to that, I'm defining "fair price" in this case as... Wallinder + Hanas + Maatta +1st. I do that deal all day and twice on your mom's birthday.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
That trade proposal is so patently ridiculous Yzerman would complete the trade before the offer was on the table for 30 seconds.

A 26 year-old 2nd pairing anchor.... sure. This team needs so much help, and that D is far from set. Losing only Wallinder, a pick and future NHL full time player, while dumping a stable of washed up D men works for the Wings but Calgary isn't biting on that deal.

Don't be so certain of that.

2020–21 NHL transactions - Wikipedia

2021–22 NHL transactions - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022–23_NHL_transactions

In 3 years there haven't been really any deals that are equivalent to what many on here propose as fair value trades. Real life NHL trades are not equivalent value to EA Sports NHL trades.

Rasmus Ristolainen was well thought of in Buffalo and went for a 1st, a 2nd and Robert f***ing Hagg.
Seth Jones went for a 1st, a 2nd and Adam Boqvist. Also was a better defenseman than Hanifin at the time.
Sam Reinhart went for a conditional 1st in 22 or 23 and Devon Levi. He's a PPGish player.
Orlov went for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd at the TDL.

A 1st, a player for cap reasons and a prospect for Hanifin is about what it would cost in real life.

Fabbri + Wallinder + 1st isn't far off in value at all.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

That is crazy.

Yes.

Unless this scenario is Calgary begging Yzerman to take Hanifin for a song (like a 2nd in value) and Hanifin wants to re-sign at a sweetheart price ($5M/yr w/o trade protection) it's a stupid venture. May as well go after Danault and or Backlund while we're at it.

Some of you guys are like my dad that ended up with 10 dozen eggs in the fridge because they were cheap and he couldn't help himself buying eggs every time he went to the store which he did three times a week so he could get lotto tickets....

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Yes.

Unless this scenario is Calgary begging Yzerman to take Hanifin for a song (like a 2nd in value) and Hanifin wants to re-sign at a sweetheart price ($5M/yr w/o trade protection) it's a stupid venture. May as well go after Danault and or Backlund while we're at it.

Some of you guys are like my dad that ended up with 10 dozen eggs in the fridge because they were cheap and he couldn't help himself buying eggs every time he went to the store which he did three times a week so he could get lotto tickets....
except in this scenario, you can actually sell your leftover eggs

Reactions: jaster

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Yes.

I just want to see Edvinsson be the 3rd-pairing LD.

Really though, Hanifin is not comparable to Danault or Backlund. He provides a greater impact than those two and is better at his position than those two. Not a useful comparison.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Really though, Hanifin is not comparable to Danault or Backlund. He provides a greater impact than those two and is better at his position than those two. Not a useful comparison.

which would be crazily similar to what TB ran with Hedman/McDonagh/Sergaechev or St. Louis with Pietrangelo/parayko/Bouwemeester.

Reactions: Ricelund and jaster

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Yes, if they won't let teams negotiate with him prior I could see them not getting a ton. With that said, I have no idea why a team would short change themselves just to be petty.
we see it happen every year, though. I think a lot of it comes down to teams not wanting to give up on seasons too early, regardless of how bleak it looks. Looking forward, Calgary probably should have looked to make a couple of deals over the summer or last spring when they could have demanded more and said they were retooling rather than rebuilding (even if they were actually doing the latter).

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

The point of Backlund and Danault is not that they equate Hanifin. It's that they equate Copp and Compher and Veleno and Rasmussen...

except in this scenario, you can actually sell your leftover eggs
Or just not buy them in the first place. Use the money on shit you need rather than hoping you can barter eggs for that something.

Trading for and extending a big money LD before you're willing to insert Edvinsson into the lineup is insanity.

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
The point of Backlund and Danault is not that they equate Hanifin. It's that they equate Copp and Compher and Veleno and Rasmussen...

Or just not buy them in the first place. Use the money on shit you need rather than hoping you can barter eggs for that something.

Trading for and extending a big money LD before you're willing to insert Edvinsson into the lineup is insanity.
I'm sure if it were that easy, Yzerman would. Someone of Hanifins caliber doesn't be made available all that often especially at the price op is suggesting

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Then he'll stop beating up Kasper.

Well the joke was that everyone he fights winds up on the same team after Nemeth and Witter joined the Wings after he fought them. So either Kasper needs to be traded to the Caps or Mantha has to come back.

In any case, it was an obvious joke, but the Caps are looking to get rid of him. It would totally hilarious if Stevie fleeced them both ways on the trade, lol.

He's gotta be about the most frustrating player to watch (as a coach or fan) because we all know how much skill, talent, and physical ability he has, yet he hardly ever uses any of it.

Reactions: Murmansk16A

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
Yes.

It isn't like that. It's like you went out shopping and you saw a PS5 at home that doesn't have any good games that you want to play yet. Someone else is selling you a PS4 Pro with several games that you know are awesome and you have wanted to play at a discounted price.

Eggs indicate that it would be a fungible asset. Noah Hanifin wouldn't be a fungible asset. Not often an above average top 4D like him who can play top line minutes would be available for anything south of crazy.

And also... the difference between Noah Hanifin and our defense (sans Seider and Walman) is much greater than Veleno or Rasmussen and Danault or Backlund.

Hanifin would be a 3rd-pairing LD?

Don't you know that it's 100% impossible for left and right shots to play on opposite sides? And in this case, Nick is saying Seider 1, Edvinsson 2, Hanifin 3.

Which honestly, I don't see as a problem. Seider 20 min, Edvinsson 20 mins, Hanifin 20 mins. What's the issue here?

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON

That is crazy.

Jaster is right for once lol
If we can get Hanifin for a reasonable price we do it. We don't keep a decent prospect like Wallinder hoping he can develop into Hanifin when we can get the genuine article.

• Haha
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
I don't see him busting up Walman and Mo. I also don't see him playing ahead of Ed once he's up. Coach might because is terrified of youth, but it won't last.

Ok. and if we dealt for Hanifin, we'd have either a very good defense or a superb trade asset (be it Walman instead of paying him a premium to stick around, Seider if he wants insane money, or Edvinsson if he just keeps getting hurt.

Reactions: JediOrderPizza

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Ok. and if we dealt for Hanifin, we'd have either a very good defense or a superb trade asset (be it Walman instead of paying him a premium to stick around, Seider if he wants insane money, or Edvinsson if he just keeps getting hurt.
Or if Ed is a bustaroni as well.

Ideally you want Wal-Mo, Ed-ASP, Wallinder-whoever. But chances are we will have some bustas. If you can improve your team, you do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad