Rumor: Noah Hanifin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
pure speculation.

"who is on that list? That part isn't entirely clear" lol. God I hate these "insiders" who are never on the "inside".

It mentioned Tampa, Florida, possibly New York or Boston are on the list.

If they’ve had a conversation about re-signing and it’s not looking likely and another team wants to pay for him, I think he could get moved.

I don’t think you should ever be shocked if an expiring UFA that’s only been with you for a year gets moved. Just my opinion though.

Trading him for futures while in the playoffs makes us worse, because now Holl is playing again. No way the team trades Ghost or anyone else on the D to bring up Ed.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
It mentioned Tampa, Florida, possibly New York or Boston are on the list.
"isn’t entirely clear, but is believed to include Tampa Bay and Florida"
"plus potentially Boston, Los Angeles and Vegas"

If they actually know something, they should make definitive statements about it.

Reactions: Detroit Knights

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Hanifin is a 27 yr old UFA. I'm guessing he's gonna want a long term deal to sign somewhere.

I can't see Yzerman handing out that kind of deal to a Dman that age.

Unless he's a wizard and can convince Calgary to take Holl and essentially swap him for Hanifin, am I missing something here?
If you aren't willing to give out term to high-end UFAs, you aren't going to be able to sign any high- end UFAs,. This is the only opportunity they have to go out and grab as big of a bag as possible.

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
If you aren't willing to give out term to high-end UFAs, you aren't going to be able to sign any high- end UFAs,. This is the only opportunity they have to go out and grab as big of a bag as possible.

They just signed DeBrincat for 4 years.

They just signed Patrick Kane for 1 year.

Are they "high-end UFA" enough for you?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

Debrincat was a trade, not a UFA.
Kane was a very special case due to injury.

The lion's share of free agents will receive more dollars and more term than they deserve. That's just the nature of open bidding.

Reactions: RedHawkDown

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
I understand that ... DeBrincat was RFA, but the point remains that you can get UFA's without giving them a contract that lasts until their death.

Austin Matthews signed a shorter term deal, and wanted it to be even shorter. It's not a static thing that players automatically want, or get 7 or 8 year deal. Things are shifting.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I understand that ... DeBrincat was RFA, but the point remains that you can get UFA's without giving them a contract that lasts until their death.

Austin Matthews signed a shorter term deal, and wanted it to be even shorter. It's not a static thing that players automatically want, or get 7 or 8 year deal. Things are shifting.

sometimes

but a 7-8 year deal being a bridge too far for a high end player is a weird line in the sand to draw when you're perfectly fine giving guys like Copp/Compher 5 year deals

Reactions: RedHawkDown

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
Yeah, there's a laundry list of disastrous UFA signings in the last number of seasons that have hamstrung their respective teams.

Klingberg wasn't one of them, but there's plenty of posters who were more than willing to throw long-term deals at him, Nazem Kadri ... etc. The list of bad deals go on and on.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

You arguably have a point with DeBrincat, but Patrick Kane wasn't exactly a first-time, 27-year-old UFA and no, he really isn't high-end enough for me at his age and in his condition.

That is cool though, just don't get upset if he signs elsewhere for 7 or 8 years and we sign worse for three or four years.

Yeah, there's a laundry list of disastrous UFA signings in the last number of seasons that have hamstrung their respective teams.

Klingberg wasn't one of them, but there's plenty of posters who were more than willing to throw long-term deals at him, Nazem Kadri ... etc. The list of bad deals go on and on.
But what are you saving that money for by avoiding that bad deal exactly? The opportunity to pursue another potentially bad deal? Based on that thinking you probably shouldn't get out of bed in the morning.

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
Okay, so you've shrunk the goalposts to only include first-time 27-year old free agents.

If "he" is Noah Hanifin, I'm already on the record as being against trading for him and tossing him an 8-year deal. So, I won't be upset.

But what are you saving that money for by avoiding that bad deal exactly?

Yeah, that's easily the dumbest question I've been asked today.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Okay, so you've shrunk the goalposts to only include first-time 27-year old free agents.

If "he" is Noah Hanifin, I'm already on the record as being against trading for him and tossing him an 8-year deal. So, I won't be upset.

Yeah, that's easily the dumbest question I've been asked today.
Wait, you want to sign older UFAs? After all of these years you haven't figured out what happens to players on the north side of 30? Personally I am interested in first-time UFAs given that those are the better ones.

So we don't spend the money and term on Hanifin. Who exactly are we spending it on? Shall we re-up with Petry in another year? He won't require much term. Ghost? Again, he won't demand much term. Cheap crap is just that, crap.

I have said it before and will say it again. The NHL does not award points for "managing the cap." They award them for winning games. One of these days people will start figuring that out.

Reactions: Bench

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
I've never insisted on any of those things you mentioned. But feel free to create any strawmen you like ... though I can't understand why you would.

Are you okay?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I've never insisted on any of those things you mentioned. But feel free to create any strawmen you like ... though I can't understand why you would.

Are you okay?
Then answer the question posed. If you think Hanifin would command a deal not worth making, how do you propose using those dollars?

Are you spending them on current players?
Are you targeting another free agent(s)?
Are you pocketing them?

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
There are 2 phases to any Hanifin deal ... first there's what you're going to have to give up. Second is how much and how long the contract demand is. Not particularly fond of either one of those things.

Oh, yeah, perhaps the third thing ... is he actually good enough for people to be splooging all over themselves here? Have you watched him play? Is he deserving of all the "savior" status?

Most posters wouldn't even know he existed unless he was being mentioned on all the internet clickbait sites day after day.

Any answer about spending the money, that is not 'on hookers and blow' is the wrong answer.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Oh, yeah, perhaps the third thing ... is he actually good enough for people to be splooging all over themselves here? Have you watched him play? Is he deserving of all the "savior" status?

You're asking if a former #5 overall pick who has been a top 4 defender his entire career and puts up 30-40 points like clockwork is good?

Yeah man, he's great.

He's not that elite #1 but players of Hanifins skill and contribution are the bedrock to winning franchises. And that's exactly why teams like Boston and Tampa are chasing this guy even though they already have excellent blue lines.

Most posters wouldn't even know he existed unless he was being mentioned on all the internet clickbait sites day after day.

And I gotta say this feels more like a self-report for your own lack of knowledge. We're on a prospect obsessed forum, so I'd say "most posters" have been very familiar with Hanifin, a top prospect, and his game for many, many years. So yeah man, he's kind of a known quantity and using wild assumptions that people only want him on the team because he's in the recent rumor mill...

That dog don't hunt.

People are interested in him because he's an excellent defender in his prime who would make the Red Wings more competitive.

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
So, you have no concerns about paying the price to actually obtain him, and then sign him to a high-priced 8-year deal? None at all? A guy you just readily admitted isn't really that #1 guy?

I wish I had as much knowledge and faith (and naivete) as you obviously do.

You don't think posters are reading the latest clickbait and then coming back here to echo their feeling about how great Hanifin is and how important he is to the Wings present and future? Come on.

I'm clear on who Hanifin is as a player, that's why I'd prefer the Wings didn't pay the price ... twice, as it were. In trade price and in contract price.

Tampa hardly has an excellent blue line ... they just lost one of the league's best defencemen, and are in kind of a different stage of "trying to win it all) than the current Red Wing group. If Tampa doesn't win the Cup, it's a failure. Hardly the same can be said for the Red Wings.

But Boston's is good yes, and they're perhaps chasing him, yes. But you wouldn't know that other than reading the clickbait. That dog don't hunt.

Reactions: Ulysses31

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
No I wouldn’t have trouble paying the prospect price or the contract price.

More likely than not, Hanifin will be better than the prospects given for him and a guy like him would profile to be worth the long term contract too.

I’m also fine if they don’t trade for him. But no, I’m not worried that the Wings are going to be demonstrably worse if they deal stuff for and extend Hanifin than if they don’t make a move for him. Honestly, more likely that some of the highly thought of prospects flop than getting Hanifin and having him blow up to be useless

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
So, you have no concerns about paying the price to actually obtain him, and then sign him to a high-priced 8-year deal? None at all? A guy you just readily admitted isn't really that #1 guy?

I wish I had as much knowledge and faith (and naivete) as you obviously do.

You don't think posters are reading the latest clickbait and then coming back here to echo their feeling about how great Hanifin is and how important he is to the Wings present and future? Come on.

I'm clear on who Hanifin is as a player, that's why I'd prefer the Wings didn't pay the price ... twice, as it were. In trade price and in contract price.

Tampa hardly has an excellent blue line ... they just lost one of the league's best defencemen, and are in kind of a different stage of "trying to win it all) than the current Red Wing group. If Tampa doesn't win the Cup, it's a failure. Hardly the same can be said for the Red Wings.

But Boston's is good yes, and they're perhaps chasing him, yes. But you wouldn't know that other than reading the clickbait. That dog don't hunt.

You're making the classic mistake in thinking that just because someone has different evaluation than you that they are:

1) only reading headlines
2) naive
3) unfamiliar with the cost

None of those are true for the majority here. We just have a different opinion than you on the situation. Keep in mind you're the one who entered this conversation saying the only reason people could possibly disagree with you is because they are ignorant and following hype. I'm dispelling that notion as it's very dismissive and ultimately kind of smug and condescending.

That's my routine, brother. Back off.

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
Hey man, that's fine. I don't feel like debating this ... it doesn't make a lick of difference who's right and who's wrong.

Just got back, tough loss today, really outplayed in all facets of the game by Florida. It kind of gives you a decent idea of what the Wings are up against, if they indeed make the playoffs.

They're going to be a pretty decided underdog, no matter who they face.

But, you're not as good as you think you are when you're winning and not as bad as you think you are when you're losing. But today brought back memories of the, not so far past, really bad Wings clubs.

They were completely dominated, in their own rink. Florida dictated the pace and the Wings got caught up in trying to match Florida's tough game and they just can't do that. No matter who you are as a team, you gotta use what got you here. Powerplay completely anemic.

Reactions: Filppula

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Hey man, that's fine. I don't feel like debating this ... it doesn't make a lick of difference who's right and who's wrong.

You're being awfully aggressive and insulting for someone who "doesn't feel like debating this". Insinuating that someone only reads headlines because they don't agree with you is pretty intellectually dishonest, IMO.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
The thing about Hanifin is that teams overspend for guys like him all the time in free agency, if I'm him I really want to get to free agency just to see what kind of offers I'm going to get. I think if you deal for him, you're going to have to give him a boatload to get him to give up his free agency. But I'll be honest when I say I have always been underwhelmed by the guy.

Reactions: deca guard

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
The thing about Hanifin is that teams overspend for guys like him all the time in free agency, if I'm him I really want to get to free agency just to see what kind of offers I'm going to get. I think if you deal for him, you're going to have to give him a boatload to get him to give up his free agency. But I'll be honest when I say I have always been underwhelmed by the guy.

The rumor out of Calgary was they offered $7.5 million x 8, his asking price, but his unwillingness to commit to Alberta has been the issue. Assuming that's the price, I think any team should be happy with that.

Also I'm surprised you knew who he was before recently, so you must really know your hockey! :sarcasm:

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
The rumor out of Calgary was they offered $7.5 million x 8, his asking price, but his unwillingness to commit to Alberta has been the issue. Assuming that's the price, I think any team should be happy with that.

Also I'm surprised you knew who he was before recently, so you must really know your hockey! :sarcasm:
I'm not really following it that close, so yeah I would have expected him to be asking for more than that, and yeah I would have assumed there would have been plenty of teams to offer him more in free agency.

I had the guy a bunch of times in our league and we was always waiver wire fodder for me, so maybe I'm just still bitter about that, lol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad