Rumor: Noah Hanifin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
@Petes2424 is one of the best posters on HF and definitely has some connections. He posted this over on the main board:

The Leafs have to go all-in on Hanifin but I’m not sure they’ll be able to beat other offers. The team to watch out for is Detroit. Yzerman is ready to make his “McDonagh deal” in Detroit and Hanifin could be that guy.

It gives Detroit two “pair carrying” Dmen, who can play 20-25 minutes a night in the playoffs. It makes a team so much harder to play against when they have two of those guys. Especially in a 7 game series, but would also almost guarantee Detroit makes the playoffs.

It will have nothing to do with the great young dmen they have coming either. In 2-3 years they’ll have a Top 4 of Seider/Edvinsson and Hanifin/ASP, with a pretty good bottom pairing too, with all the guys they have in the system, as well as Walman will still be around. They’ll also have many options depending on how good Edvinsson ends up.

They can include a Top young Dman prospect in Wallinder, which very few teams can include. Calgary would also get a good, termed dman for the next couple of years. Whether that’s Chiarot or Maatta, or even Holl. Then probably another prospect and a pick. The one I’d want is Cross Hanas. He’s gonna be a real good NHL player and he’s about a year away from playing every night.

Very few teams can make that type of a move without it really hurting their system. Detroit can, and we know Yzerman is going to make a move to get his “McDonagh” for Detroit.

If you look at Hanifin and McDonagh at 25-26 years old, they’re very similar players too. Gives Detroit a top “pair carrier”, both right and left handed. McDonagh was the same age (as Hanifin) when Yzerman traded for him too btw…

You always have to be interested in a player like Hanifin. No matter what your current dmen core looks like. I’d heard over the summer that Detroit is the team to watch out for on Hanifin, and have no reason to think that wouldn’t still be the case now. Especially with what they can give up, in a prospect/player/pick trade. Very few teams can match what they can do.

I suppose the real question is what side will Chiarot play if they end up trading for Hanifin.

• Haha
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Just save your assets and call up Ed. Trading anything for Hanifin and then giving him $7M+ on term is stupid.

Walman, Chiarot, Maatta, Edvinsson are all under contract for at least 2 more years on the left side.

And sidenote... using HF posters as a source is just weird.
I mean, if all it took to get Hanifin was a package involving Maatta, Hanas, Wallinder and a pick, I'd do it 100 times out of 100.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
Just save your assets and call up Ed. Trading anything for Hanifin and then giving him $7M+ on term is stupid.

Walman, Chiarot, Maatta, Edvinsson are all under contract for at least 2 more years on the left side.

And sidenote... using HF posters as a source is just weird.

He’s been very in tune with prices and with what teams are doing. He’s not the source, the people who clearly tell him things are. But it’s all scuttle butt so he can’t name names.

Reactions: Bench

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
If only it were that easy
No one ever said GMing is easy. But there needs to be a basic level of addressing needs. We have a top 4 LD in the AHL and 3-4 more 3rd pairing quality ones kicking around. Hanifin is a great player. But he is not at all what we need moving forward.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
No one ever said GMing is easy. But there needs to be a basic level of addressing needs. We have a top 4 LD in the AHL and 3-4 more 3rd pairing quality ones kicking around. Hanifin is a great player. But he is not at all what we need moving forward.
I'm just saying, you probably don't find a winger of Hanifins caliber on defense for that package. Why not sure up the defense, which is obviously Yzermans plan to begin with. I just think if a good player like Hanifin can be had for as cheap as op is suggesting, why the hell not go for it.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I'm just saying, you probably don't find a winger of Hanifins caliber on defense for that package. Why not sure up the defense, which is obviously Yzermans plan to begin with. I just think if a good player like Hanifin can be had for as cheap as op is suggesting, why the hell not go for it.
You also probably don't find Hanifin for that package, but either way... whatever assets you want to spend, don't spend them on a left D.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Get a package deal going and steal Lindholm and Markstrom, make Chia and Husso part of the deal, or else what is the point?

Then bury Petry in the press box.

A pipe dream a bit, but I agree with many here, don't see Hanifin being all that much of a help for us.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Then probably another prospect and a pick. The one I’d want is Cross Hanas. He’s gonna be a real good NHL player and he’s about a year away from playing every night.
Well this guy’s lost all credibility with me :laugh:

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Y'all are gonna drive me to hating Edvinsson with your ridiculous opinions

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
@Petes2424 is one of the best posters on HF and definitely has some connections. He posted this over on the main board:

I suppose the real question is what side will Chiarot play if they end up trading for Hanifin.

Where does this come from? I don't know of any Wings deal or other team deal that he called before hand.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Lame....

We need some skill first and foremost followed by guys who can win faceoffs

Lots of character, leadership, experience and depth

Outside of Larkin, Raymond and Debrincat we have no real skill

No thx
And unless they either win the draft lottery or hypnotize a team into trading a guy like Pettersson, they don't really have a reliable path to getting these type of players.

Would I like more skill and scoring? Yes. But with the cards he's been dealt, I don't think that's the roster Yzerman is building. So if they end up trading for a guy like Hanifin and try to be more of a Nashville/St Louis team in the playoffs, so be it.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
This would speak quite a bit about what Stevie thought of Hronek. Bringing in Hanafin and removing Hronek is basically swapping a mid 20 something RD for a mid 20 something LD, and RDs usually have more value.

I think it is critical that one of these dmen with term ie Holl or Chia need to go the other way. We are probably stuck with Petry and I don't really care. He can provide leadership from the press box and work with the young dmen at practice ala Cheli in his last couple of seasons. Chia makes the most sense as he is a LD signed for the longest term.

Seider- Walman
Ghost- Hanafin
Holl- Chia/Maata

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
Where does this come from? I don't know of any Wings deal or other team deal that he called before hand.

Quite simply, there really isn't any that would have one believe that he has "connections" ... whatever that entails. His posts are well constructed and entertaining. That's about it.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
For those of you saying we should save our assets and go after a top end forward let me throw this crazy out there.

Stevie gets Hanafin for something like Chiarot, Wallinder, Buium, and a 1st or 2nd.

You now have a top end LD to head up your 2nd pair. Wallman is signed for 2 more seasons after this and looks great with Seider. Ghost looks solid and may be interested in a 2 or 3 year deal on a team that seems to fit him well after a bunch of wandering.

Now you have your top 4 locked in for the next few seasons until a guy like ASP is ready who is a righty and could come in an replace a guy like Ghost.

So where does that leave Ed. Does he now become the piece you use to land that high end offensive guy that on rare occasion becomes available.... Ed+Kasper+1st should be able to land you a really good forward without actually removing anyone pertinent off the team.

It guts our prospect system a bit but now you suddenly have a team that could be a contender with the right goaltending.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
And unless they either win the draft lottery or hypnotize a team into trading a guy like Pettersson, they don't really have a reliable path to getting these type of players.

Would I like more skill and scoring? Yes. But with the cards he's been dealt, I don't think that's the roster Yzerman is building. So if they end up trading for a guy like Hanifin and try to be more of a Nashville/St Louis team in the playoffs, so be it.

What?

I'm not sure magic or lottery wins are the only ways to acquire skill, and Nashville, well Nashville never won a thing..ever.. St. Louis sure, but they still had a fair bit of skill throughout that lineup

I dont think or want this to go off the rails and into how to build a championship roster. However, yes, the team needs more offensive skill more than anything else at the moment in my opinion, as we still look like a one line threat team only..

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Use that package for some sort of goal-scoring winger. Bolstering left D is the absolute last place we need to burn assets and then a massive chunk of cap space.
The problem is we have offense (at least much more than last year) but we don't have defense. We got all these guys in to play defense and they just can't play it. Imagine if we could pass to each other......

We cannot pass the damn puck to each other if our lives depended on it. So, we need a puck moving defenseman that can pass it on someone's tape instead of trying to get it through 3 guys and between someone elses legs (looking at you dbc, ghost, etc). I was against getting hanifin because essentially of your first point before this quoted post, but even if Ed becomes Lidstrom, you cannot expect that greatness the first callup. Imagine if Hanifin stays pretty good (which is a good possibility) and can then teach Ed. Then our left side turns into Walman - Hanifin - Ed. That is a damn good left side and I'd trade all our D on the roster (that play LD) for that all day and it's weird that you wouldn't do the same.

Also, imagine if Walman says fu*k it after his current contract expires and wants 10 mil and detroit says no. Now you are hoping to god that Ed, Wallinder, Aljo (which yes it is a possibility) all pan out? A lot of people also thought brendan smith was going to be a top 10-15 D. ***disclaimer: I don't think Walman would do that and if he continues his current play from last/this year I could see some teams paying that 10 even though it would be probably an overpayment, but then again, I didn't think Fedorov would ever leave detroit because of whatever reasons and he left for money, essentially***

I would trade all of Chiarot, Maatta, Petry, one top D prospect, and some kind of pick to have Hanifin and Ed on the roster tomorrow. That would immediately improve our defense significantly (and it seems like I am one of the few on here that still likes maatta). I would prefer that we try to get Lindholm in the same trade package as Hanifin, but if it is a forgone conclusion (not saying that it is) that lindholm isn't coming to detroit, then you got to do something for your defense. Our defense is just so bad and they chase way too much. Leaves Husso in the dust and he doesn't need more help in playing bad.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Get a package deal going and steal Lindholm and Markstrom, make Chia and Husso part of the deal, or else what is the point?

Then bury Petry in the press box.

A pipe dream a bit, but I agree with many here, don't see Hanifin being all that much of a help for us.
See that is more intriguing. Lindholm/Hanifin and Markstrom. Markstrom is on the older side, but he is a very solid goalie. He's also 6'6'' and that helps.

Yzerman likes tall defenseman and even taller goalies to see over/around the D.

Fuc* it. What is the blockbuster that gets lindholm, hanifin, markstrom. Calgary should want to blow up their roster at this point anyways. Especially after benching huberdeau the entire third period last night

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
See that is more intriguing. Lindholm/Hanifin and Markstrom. Markstrom is on the older side, but he is a very solid goalie. He's also 6'6'' and that helps.

Yzerman likes tall defenseman and even taller goalies to see over/around the D.

Fuc* it. What is the blockbuster that gets lindholm, hanifin, markstrom. Calgary should want to blow up their roster at this point anyways. Especially after benching huberdeau the entire third period last night
But wait...Hold up...I was under the impression that everything was 'solved' once that boomer-meanie Darryl Sutter was fired??!!

:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad