No Supplemental Discipline for Reaves hit on Wilson

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
So it appears that the top thing that can be determined by the comments posted on this and the team threads is that the fans of the Washington Capitals have replaced the fans of the Pittsburgh Penguins are the most whiny, clueless group of homers on the entire site. Too funny. Just remember folks; what comes around goes around with how you play the game.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Because he did a hot lap?

He also did it prepping for the peg.

Good Lord you Caps fans are babies.

I actually don't really care at all, the point is that if all you need to do to justify your garbage is have a reason, they're easy to find. I don't know the guy personally so it's not going to ruffle my feathers, but I'm sure there are players who have enough respect and admiration for him to take exception to that. Unless Marchessault looks like a public session skater until he shakes the rust off, there's really no pretending what was going on there and it's disingenuous to try.

Eye for an eye, blind world, etc., it's as stupid when it's in your favor as it is when you think it's unjustified.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
No, we're on the "Hurr hurr, now starts the era of Wilson getting his" thing.

Terrible reading comprehension. D-

People here are acting like this is the new era and Wilson is going to get more of this, I just don't see it. Guys like Reaves are a rarity in the league and a luxury that barely anyone can afford in 2018 (an enforcer that doesn't produce any points?).

Guys like Byfuglien (valuable and strong players) are the only players that will be able to do what Reaves did and I don't think Dustin Byfuglien's grow on trees.
Fair enough. Thought there might be an underlying implication.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
I wasn't talking about liking those guys I was talking about Pens fans being OK with their players being targeted or going unprotected by DOPS BECAUSE of those guys.

But while we're on the topic...(too lazy to look for the Cooke appreciation thread on the Pens board)
I don't think that happened. What happened was Cooke got more calls against him in games than he probably should have because everyone expected him to constantly do dirty shit. It was at times irritating but by the end I understood it because Cooke was a menace and probably deserved to be treated differently. While I do think Cooke caused the stars to get run more than they would have I don't think the league ignored such things because of Cooke.

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
What thread? And what do the posts actually say? I know my take was always "It's a shame he such an idiot because when he's not trying to hurt people he's a good hockey player." That is not defending him.
What thread... Really? :rolleyes:

Funny because every single Pens fan tell us that they never liked Matt Cooke nor even appreciate him but there still is this thread. :biglaugh:

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017

4858e6302b8122537577928e9a838cdc

Has Wilson commented after this hit? Haven't seen anything

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I don't think that happened. What happened was Cooke got more calls against him in games than he probably should have because everyone expected him to constantly do dirty ****. It was at times irritating but by the end I understood it because Cooke was a menace and probably deserved to be treated differently. While I do think Cooke caused the stars to get run more than they would have I don't think the league ignored such things because of Cooke.

Well the other Pens fan who brought it up disagrees with you on that.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Where are the posts defending him for dirty hits? I didn't see any in that thread.

In that particular thread, pretty much any post that claimed Cooke had reformed himself was a denial of his continued dirtiness.

You could make a distinction between being in denial about a dirty player, and defending one. It's not a distinction that is particularly meaningful though.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
This is disgusting.

Here's the thing, and I'm sure many fans will rush to try and dispute this but I've watched literally every game Tom Wilson has played in the NHL, Tom Wilson makes bad hits.... but they're attempts at hockey.

I will not sit here and tell you Tom Wilson has never made a bad hit. TW43 regularly in his career has made dangerous and reckless hits that have cause injury to his opponents. I'm also not going to sit here and act like the guy should not alter his game, in the games he's played since he returned he has been amazing when his nose is kept clean. All of that said, there is no doubt in my mind, Tom Wilson doesn't hit to injure, he hits to hurt. I know that statement sounds stupid, but hear me out. In football I played defensive line and I remember distinctly my coach explaining this concept to me. Getting hit hurts, pads barely do anything for the pain. If you hit your opponent hard it will hurt more. Over time a mentally weaker opponent will avoid you and that will make the rest of your job easier, Tom Wilson does this. The idea of hitting to hurt is the entire basis of contact sports, it's a mental test. Wilson is so good at hitting to hurt it opens the ice up for Ovechkin and Kuznetsov because opponents panic. At the end of the day though getting hurt is again 90% mental and you hope your opponent will be able to walk off the field no worse for the wear.

Now, hitting to injure? That's a different thing, that's intentionally going out of your way to try cause some sort of potential dangerous health event for your opponent. It's disrespectful, it's unethical, and it's got no place in sport.

I believe that Tom Wilson has crossed the line on many occasion and injured his opponent, at no point given his reaction and break down of hits he has made did I ever believe his intent was to injure. The way Wilson defends his hits you can tell there is an analytical approach and justification that took place in his own mind as to why the play was "a hockey play".

During the VGK game I was willing to accept this argument from Reaves, he was hitting to hurt Wilson, he wanted to throw Tommy off his game and make him panic when he was on the ice. A tip of the cap to Reaves I thought. Everything that has happened since then has changed my mind. The open relishing of Wilson's injury, the joking/flexing to the press about the hit, the signing merchandise with the hit on it, etc. To me I'm starting to believe that Reaves got on the ice that night with the intention of injuring Tom Wilson.

I know to many posters it will seem like I'm splitting hairs here, but honestly for every bad Tom Wilson play there is an explanation from him that supports the idea that he believed he was making a hockey play. And for every bad Wilson hit the worst you can really find is that he didn't reach out to the guy he hit after the fact. This Reaves relishing the moment thing is about 100 yards out of bounds.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
It’s scary how desensitized we have become. It’s one thing to not have sympathy for a dirty player getting a taste of his own medicine, but to be HAPPY and wish it upon anyone is pretty crude.

I’m not angel, when it comes to guys like Cooke, I loved the few hits where he was on the receiving end. And to this day I don’t feel bad for him, but I never celebrated it. I was hopeful that he would change his ways, but when he didn’t, I simply shrugged and thought oh well.

I mean is it really “justice” that a goon like Reaves delivered that hit on Wilson? Did he have it coming? Yes, but perpetuating the cycle doesn’t help anything. Wilson will still be Wilson, while Reaves one and only Job is to go after players and be a brute. Nothing will change or come of this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kuzya daddy

MrGold

Mark Scheifele is a piece of ****
Jan 7, 2012
This is disgusting...

(snipped)

Here's the thing, and I'm sure many fans will rush to try and dispute this but I've watched literally every game Tom Wilson has played in the NHL, Tom Wilson makes bad hits.... but they're attempts at hockey.

I will not sit here and tell you Tom Wilson has never made a bad hit. TW43 regularly in his career has made dangerous and reckless hits that have cause injury to his opponents. I'm also not going to sit here and act like the guy should not alter his game, in the games he's played since he returned he has been amazing when his nose is kept clean. All of that said, there is no doubt in my mind, Tom Wilson doesn't hit to injure, he hits to hurt. I know that statement sounds stupid, but hear me out. In football I played defensive line and I remember distinctly my coach explaining this concept to me. Getting hit hurts, pads barely do anything for the pain. If you hit your opponent hard it will hurt more. Over time a mentally weaker opponent will avoid you and that will make the rest of your job easier, Tom Wilson does this. The idea of hitting to hurt is the entire basis of contact sports, it's a mental test. Wilson is so good at hitting to hurt it opens the ice up for Ovechkin and Kuznetsov because opponents panic. At the end of the day though getting hurt is again 90% mental and you hope your opponent will be able to walk off the field no worse for the wear.

Now, hitting to injure? That's a different thing, that's intentionally going out of your way to try cause some sort of potential dangerous health event for your opponent. It's disrespectful, it's unethical, and it's got no place in sport.

I believe that Tom Wilson has crossed the line on many occasion and injured his opponent, at no point given his reaction and break down of hits he has made did I ever believe his intent was to injure. The way Wilson defends his hits you can tell there is an analytical approach and justification that took place in his own mind as to why the play was "a hockey play".

During the VGK game I was willing to accept this argument from Reaves, he was hitting to hurt Wilson, he wanted to throw Tommy off his game and make him panic when he was on the ice. A tip of the cap to Reaves I thought. Everything that has happened since then has changed my mind. The open relishing of Wilson's injury, the joking/flexing to the press about the hit, the signing merchandise with the hit on it, etc. To me I'm starting to believe that Reaves got on the ice that night with the intention of injuring Tom Wilson.

I know to many posters it will seem like I'm splitting hairs here, but honestly for every bad Tom Wilson play there is an explanation from him that supports the idea that he believed he was making a hockey play. And for every bad Wilson hit the worst you can really find is that he didn't reach out to the guy he hit after the fact. This Reaves relishing the moment thing is about 100 yards out of bounds.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
It’s scary how desensitized we have become. It’s one thing to not have sympathy for a dirty player getting a taste of his own medicine, but to be HAPPY and wish it upon anyone is pretty crude.

I’m not angel, when it comes to guys like Cooke, I celebrated the few hits where he was on the receiving end. And to this day I don’t feel bad for him, but I never celebrated it. I was hopeful that he would change his ways, but when he didn’t, I simply shrugged and thought oh well.

I mean is it really “justice” that a goon like Reaves delivered that hit on Wilson? Did he have it coming? Yes, but perpetuating the cycle doesn’t help anything. Wilson will still be Wilson, while Reaves one and only Job is to go after players and be a brute. Nothing will change or come of this.
I think that's one of the finer points to this that I find most perplexing given that some are acting like Reaves is a savior. If you don't like Tom Wilson I totally understand it, but Ryan Reaves is the same guy in a different sweater. Reaves concussing Wilson shouldn't be some sort of celebration for a lot of reasons but most of all because Reaves could easily have done that (and probably will at some point) to any other player in the league. If I'm an impartial fan maybe I'm not outraged over the hit, but I'm in the very least weary that Reaves is running around the league doing this.

I mean guys, you didn't solve the Tom Wilson problem.... now there are just two Tom Wilson's skating around.

Reactions: GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
I see what you did there :laugh: should have used different wording. I embraced seeing Cooke get what he deserved, but I never celebrated him getting injured from it. My mistake.
I think that's one of the finer points to this that I find most perplexing given that some are acting like Reaves is a savior. If you don't like Tom Wilson I totally understand it, but Ryan Reaves is the same guy in a different sweater. Reaves concussing Wilson shouldn't be some sort of celebration for a lot of reasons but most of all because Reaves could easily have done that (and probably will at some point) to any other player in the league. If I'm an impartial fan maybe I'm not outraged over the hit, but I'm in the very least weary that Reaves is running around the league doing this.

I mean guys, you didn't solve the Tom Wilson problem.... now there are just two Tom Wilson's skating around.
Exactly.

It’s almost like “goon on goon” crime. It doesn’t solve anything. That was exactly what Reaves is supposed to do in that situation, that’s what he’s paid for. I think perhaps a fight would have been a better way of settling things, but Reaves stopped down to Wilson’s level. Will Wilson continue doing what he does? Sure, but the irony is that people like Wilson give Reaves a job in the league.

Reaves should have gotten at least a game. Aren’t we trying to steer away from hits like that? I mean that’s what a majority of the board have complained about. But I do understand the almost “blood thirsty” mentality that many anti Wilson posters have....that’s on him, but let’s be human beings here. Reaves NOT getting any discipline basically sent a very bad message to the league....if your already a repeat offender, it’s open season. And the league will turn a blind eye. It’s just going backwards.

Sniperberg

Mar 30, 2017
This is disgusting.

If Tom Wilson is justifying his actions on ice with that logic (Bolded parts), then he should retire and do something else.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
I wonder how it would have all unfolded if Reaves wasn’t the one who hit Wilson. They hve history, it was no surprise to anyone....I mean at least not to me.

What if A guy like Pacioretty laid that hit on Wilson? Would he be more of a “hero?” The Knights unspoken leader who gave the big bad Wilson a taste of his own medicine? Or would he get a lot or backlash? Are we simply content with the fact that Reaves is the one that did it, and that we accept that because, well......Reaves isn’t exacly a valued player.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
If Tom Wilson is justifying his actions on ice with that logic (Bolded parts), then he should retire and do something else.
What makes Reaves actions more justified? What does he get out of all this in the end? He’s on the ice to fight, to intimidate, to literally stir shit up. Does he really have more of a place in the hockey world than Wilson?

I respect Reaves, it’s just confusing how so many are crowning him for this hit when that’s his job at the end of the day. Your basically encouraging a job that insist on an individual to go around and “regulate” other players, while crying foul about a player who plays a game way to close to that line, and at times steps over it. What’s the difference?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad