No Supplemental Discipline for Reaves hit on Wilson

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
You spent WAY too much time on the "why" behind the bolded bottom line of truth, which is the crux of the matter. "Why" is an excuse. And when the issue is unpunished headshots, with so many clearly taking direct aim at the head and not even getting a hearing (like Malkin on Oshie) the excuses are hollow.

Caps fans want CONSISTENCY in treatment of players. It's currently open season on Caps players where elbows and shoulders are being thrown to the head intentionally, and nothing is being done. We aren't losing role players and scrubs to this, our stars have been going down all year, and the league is doing next to nothing.

Claiming "yeah will people hate Tom Wilson and he hits guys in the head" as justification for that is not acceptable. Just because you and Tom Wilson or Caps haters don't care doesn't mean it's not an issue.

You want consistency? Sorry, not going to get it.

The Pens were dropping like flies when the scumbag Cooke was on the team. A number of our top players were taken out of commission by elbows, late hits, etc. Coincidence? Nope.

If you have a player who doesn't respect other players in the league, you're not getting any respect in return. Welcome to the Jungle Baby!

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
You want consistency? Sorry, not going to get it.

The Pens were dropping like flies when the ******* Cooke was on the team. A number of our top players were taken out of commission by elbows, late hits, etc. Coincidence? Nope.

If you have a player who doesn't respect other players in the league, you're not getting any respect in return. Welcome to the Jungle Baby!

I'm sure Pens fans were OK with all of that then, yes?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Maybe they can both dirty hit themselves right out of the league!

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
I'm sure Pens fans were OK with all of that then, yes?
Personally I grew to hate Cooke because he was such a dirty p.o.s. I got tired of seeing him try to hurt people. That it also did nothing but make the stars targets did not help. Also he was at the point where his rep was so bad that he'd get called for things he didn't even do but it was understandable because he did so much.

Btw, I also hated James Neal because he was a dirty p.o.s. I lost any regard for him after he kneed a guy who was down on the ice in the head. Maybe he has cleaned things up as I have not heard anything about him but I thought he was dirty as hell.

Reactions: BillPrep

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Wow. Amazing response. I assume you’re a Caps &/or Wilson fan so I thought I’d look at career stats to see who belongs in the game: Wilson or Reaves.

In about ten seasons, Reaves has 832 penalty minutes and one* suspension versus Wilson’s 827 penalty minutes in six seasons and four suspensions.

To truly grasp how malicious Wilson is, check out this The Sporting News article. Tom Wilson suspension timeline: Controversial Capital has built career on blurring lines

Make no mistake, Reaves player archetype is going the way of the dodo bird, but Tom Wilson should have been banned permanently by now. Not so Reaves.

* I found one suspension in my google search.

Lets not defend Reaves! He is a massive dirty player, and the fact he hasn't been suspended longer and more often in his career is ridiculous. He does all kinds of dirty crap, I have seen countless intentional hits from behind, among many other idiot moves from him.

Uncle Bill

Know it all
Sep 21, 2011
Lets not defend Reaves! He is a massive dirty player, and the fact he hasn't been suspended longer and more often in his career is ridiculous. He does all kinds of dirty crap, I have seen countless intentional hits from behind, among many other idiot moves from him.
I wasn’t defending Reaves. I merely pointed out which player more deserves to be in the league. Fines and suspensions are indeed a valid barometer. As I said, his type is going the way of the dodo bird.

Last edited:

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
You spent WAY too much time on the "why" behind the bolded bottom line of truth, which is the crux of the matter. "Why" is an excuse. And when the issue is unpunished headshots, with so many clearly taking direct aim at the head and not even getting a hearing (like Malkin on Oshie) the excuses are hollow.

Caps fans want CONSISTENCY in treatment of players. It's currently open season on Caps players where elbows and shoulders are being thrown to the head intentionally, and nothing is being done. We aren't losing role players and scrubs to this, our stars have been going down all year, and the league is doing next to nothing.

Claiming "yeah will people hate Tom Wilson and he hits guys in the head" as justification for that is not acceptable. Just because you and Tom Wilson or Caps haters don't care doesn't mean it's not an issue.
This happens to every team.

Avs have had 2-3 of these too.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Food for thought to all of the posters say "Haha, loved it can't wait to see it happen again."

It literally took the strongest player in the league making a late blind side hit to knock Wilson on his rear, so unless your team is hiding 1980's Dolph Lundgren somewhere on your roster I think you're just going to have to keep getting your jollies from this game. This isn't going to be a regular occurrence and it's not because teams won't try...

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Food for thought to all of the posters say "Haha, loved it can't wait to see it happen again."

It literally took the strongest player in the league making a late blind side hit to knock Wilson on his rear, so unless your team is hiding 1980's Dolph Lundgren somewhere on your roster I think you're just going to have to keep getting your jollies from this game. This isn't going to be a regular occurrence and it's not because teams won't try...

Nah, Reaves also knocked him on his rear when Wilson took a late run at him earlier in the game as well, because Tom was mad at....you guessed it, Reaves knocking him on his rear again. It wasn't a perfect storm for Wilson to get knocked down, it was just the fact his dad just so happens to play for the Vegas Knights who the Capitals happened to be playing....

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
2016: Caps fans talk smack. Pens fans show Crosby hoisting the cup. Caps fans are dejected and humiliated.

2018: VGK fans call out a widely recognized cheapshot player. Caps fans show Ovi hoisting the cup. VGK fans: "Meh." Caps fans: "OMG you're supposed to be humiliated!"

FlightlessBird

Nov 5, 2005
Pittsburgh
It’s a strange dynamic; Caps fans defend Wilson for plays that are reckless but generally acknowledge his recklessness and have long moved on from debating the arbitrary nature in which the League chooses to enforce its own rules but I have never once seen a Caps fan revel in ANY injury to ANY opponent from ANY hit.

Just curious, what do you think of the fans posting images of Wilson’s hits at the moment of impact as a retort to posts they don’t like? For example, someone posted the ZAR hit from last playoffs along with an image of Wilson lifting the cup. IMO, that’s just another way to “revel” in the injury.

Btw, I agree with your implied point. But let’s not pretend it doesn’t happen the other way ever.

Edit: Sorry, didn’t realize @TNT87 basically said the same thing. Should have read further :)

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Personally I grew to hate Cooke because he was such a dirty p.o.s. I got tired of seeing him try to hurt people. That it also did nothing but make the stars targets did not help. Also he was at the point where his rep was so bad that he'd get called for things he didn't even do but it was understandable because he did so much.

Btw, I also hated James Neal because he was a dirty p.o.s. I lost any regard for him after he kneed a guy who was down on the ice in the head. Maybe he has cleaned things up as I have not heard anything about him but I thought he was dirty as hell.

I wasn't talking about liking those guys I was talking about Pens fans being OK with their players being targeted or going unprotected by DOPS BECAUSE of those guys.

But while we're on the topic...(too lazy to look for the Cooke appreciation thread on the Pens board)

Reactions: Koized

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Not at all. But my problem was with Cooke, not the league.

Then why bring it up? I don't believe you and other Pens fans just held your tongues during these injustices you claim happened at the hands of the DOPS.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Wilson picked a war with Reeves when he ran Marchessault like 2.5 seconds after he passed the puck. Reaves has been especially intense against Wilson ever since.

And Marchessault deserved that shot after openly mocking Barry Trotz. See why revenge is stupid?

Reactions: Koized

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad