No Supplemental Discipline for Reaves hit on Wilson

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018
Caps fans are right. Reaves had no interest in playing hockey. He was out to get Wilson from the moment the puck dropped. And while the hit in question was relatively benign; the actions/intent of Reaves thru 35+ minutes was far from it.

The NHL should be embarrassed. Embarrassed that Reaves acted the way he did. Embarrassed that they allowed this situation to unfold to begin with. If they hand out the proper discipline when they are supposed to, then Reaves doesn't go ape shit on Wilson.

Wilson has been suspended 4 times in just over a year. Add to that a dozen or so other borderline hits that could be argued were fineable/suspendable. If the NHL had stopped giving a repeat offender the benefit of the doubt, and actually sent a message that they aren't going to stand for these late-ish and/or high hits, then we are talking about more than 4 suspensions. And we are talking about longer suspensions. And players like Reaves are less likely to have a vendetta against players like Wilson. No guarantee since it's Ryan Reaves, but certainly less likely if Wilson had served the amount of time the rest of league feels is fair.

The NHL could have prevented this. They could have saved Wilson from being concussed. They chose not to.

PS: The hit in a vacuum is not suspendable. Wilson delivered an identical hit on Marchessault in the SCF that was only a 2 minute minor. Difference is that Wilson wasn't hunting Marchessault all game long. Unfortunately the NHL doesn't have a protocol for 'hunting'. After this, I hope they consider adding that discretion to their decision making process when reviewing for possible suspensions.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
This is disgusting.

*snip*

Live by the sword, die by the sword as it relates to the hit.

As for the aftermath, especially the dumb comments afterwards, Reaves is a dipshit. Acts like one on the ice so it isn't surprising he is milking this for all it is worth. Then again, it is what he will be most famous for moving forward so no surprise he's milking it.

No issue with the hit or autographing pictures of it. He should just do himself a favor and not speak. That lion in the jungle shit was embarrassing.

Reactions: Koized

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
This is disgusting.

Here's the thing, and I'm sure many fans will rush to try and dispute this but I've watched literally every game Tom Wilson has played in the NHL, Tom Wilson makes bad hits.... but they're attempts at hockey.

I will not sit here and tell you Tom Wilson has never made a bad hit. TW43 regularly in his career has made dangerous and reckless hits that have cause injury to his opponents. I'm also not going to sit here and act like the guy should not alter his game, in the games he's played since he returned he has been amazing when his nose is kept clean. All of that said, there is no doubt in my mind, Tom Wilson doesn't hit to injure, he hits to hurt. I know that statement sounds stupid, but hear me out. In football I played defensive line and I remember distinctly my coach explaining this concept to me. Getting hit hurts, pads barely do anything for the pain. If you hit your opponent hard it will hurt more. Over time a mentally weaker opponent will avoid you and that will make the rest of your job easier, Tom Wilson does this. The idea of hitting to hurt is the entire basis of contact sports, it's a mental test. Wilson is so good at hitting to hurt it opens the ice up for Ovechkin and Kuznetsov because opponents panic. At the end of the day though getting hurt is again 90% mental and you hope your opponent will be able to walk off the field no worse for the wear.

Now, hitting to injure? That's a different thing, that's intentionally going out of your way to try cause some sort of potential dangerous health event for your opponent. It's disrespectful, it's unethical, and it's got no place in sport.

I believe that Tom Wilson has crossed the line on many occasion and injured his opponent, at no point given his reaction and break down of hits he has made did I ever believe his intent was to injure. The way Wilson defends his hits you can tell there is an analytical approach and justification that took place in his own mind as to why the play was "a hockey play".

During the VGK game I was willing to accept this argument from Reaves, he was hitting to hurt Wilson, he wanted to throw Tommy off his game and make him panic when he was on the ice. A tip of the cap to Reaves I thought. Everything that has happened since then has changed my mind. The open relishing of Wilson's injury, the joking/flexing to the press about the hit, the signing merchandise with the hit on it, etc. To me I'm starting to believe that Reaves got on the ice that night with the intention of injuring Tom Wilson.

I know to many posters it will seem like I'm splitting hairs here, but honestly for every bad Tom Wilson play there is an explanation from him that supports the idea that he believed he was making a hockey play. And for every bad Wilson hit the worst you can really find is that he didn't reach out to the guy he hit after the fact. This Reaves relishing the moment thing is about 100 yards out of bounds.

"I've literally watched every game Tom Wilson has played, in my Big Tom pjs, and he always looks to me like when he headshots a guy from the blindside that he's really trying his best not to do that thing he repeatedly does. But when Reaves blindside hits my idol Tom shoulder to shoulder and he hits his head on the ice, I don't know it just seems MORE dangerous to me as a Caps fan for some reason."

This thread is the best thing to happen all season.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
"I've literally watched every game Tom Wilson has played, in my Big Tom pjs, and he always looks to me like when he headshots a guy from the blindside that he's really trying his best not to do that thing he repeatedly does. But when Reaves blindside hits my idol Tom shoulder to shoulder and he hits his head on the ice, I don't know it just seems MORE dangerous to me as a Caps fan for some reason."

This thread is the best thing to happen all season.
I’m not saying Wilson’s last hits should be ignored or justified. But being on the ice for the sole purpose of going after a player......not playing hockey, not contributing, but to look for your opportunity to hurt someone.....that’s BS and everyone should know that.

Reaves is glorying what many of you hate, but your accepting that “eye for an eye” mentality because it’s Wilson, what your not understanding is that Reaves is now no better than Wilson, while loosing tons of respect and class in my book. This is his claim to fame, being a goon who delivered a dirty hit on a man known for such, and now he’s the savior? How hypocritical is that?

Reaves doesn’t contribute to hockey, he contributes to making sure guys like Wilson don’t do what they do from time to time....the irony is that he stepped over the line but all is forgiven because it was for the best. And by “best.” Nevermind how predatory it was, nevermind that that’s what Reaves mission was that entire time he was on the ice, nevermind that he injured someone with the same type of hit.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
I’m not saying Wilson’s last hits should be ignored or justified. But being on the ice for the sole purpose of going after a player......not playing hockey, not contributing, but to look for your opportunity to hurt someone.....that’s BS and everyone should know that.

Reaves is glorying what many of you hate, but your accepting that “eye for an eye” mentality because it’s Wilson, what your not understanding is that Reaves is now no better than Wilson, while loosing tons of respect and class in my book. This is his claim to fame, being a goon who delivered a dirty hit on a man known for such, and now he’s the savior? How hypocritical is that?

Reaves doesn’t contribute to hockey, he contributes to making sure guys like Wilson don’t do what they do from time to time....the irony is that he stepped over the line but all is forgiven because it was for the best. And by “best.” Nevermind how predatory it was, nevermind that that’s what Reaves mission was that entire time he was on the ice, nevermind that he injured someone with the same type of hit.

A) Reaves' hit was nowhere near as bad as numerous high Wilson hits. I don't understand why Wilson will hit guys late AND high, but Reaves hits Wilson late and everyone is supposed to think he did worse because Wilson hit his head on the ice.

B) Tom went after Reaves late earlier in the game for revenge on a hit in the offensive zone. So when Tom looks for a late hit, it's cool. But AGAIN when Reaves does it, it's bad. Dangerous. A threat to society.

C) Reaves actually scored a goal in this game. When Wilson has a goal and some big hits, Caps fan can't wait to come on here and tell eveybody how great he is. But when Reaves does that, he is "only out there to injure guys." The injury that, again, only came from the way Wilson landed and not from.....say, someone's elbow.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Live by the sword, die by the sword as it relates to the hit.

As for the aftermath, especially the dumb comments afterwards, Reaves is a dip****. Acts like one on the ice so it isn't surprising he is milking this for all it is worth. Then again, it is what he will be most famous for moving forward so no surprise he's milking it.

No issue with the hit or autographing pictures of it. He should just do himself a favor and not speak. That lion in the jungle **** was embarrassing.

Reaves is one of the biggest piece of shits in the entire league. He has zero class and is no better than Tom Wilson, the same people who are celebrating a hit on a player they don't like will end up whining when someone domes their favorite player.

The responses here are just as classless as Reaves.

Reactions: third man in

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
A) Reaves' hit was nowhere near as bad as numerous high Wilson hits. I don't understand why Wilson will hit guys late AND high, but Reaves hits Wilson late and everyone is supposed to think he did worse because Wilson hit his head on the ice.

B) Tom went after Reaves late earlier in the game for revenge on a hit in the offensive zone. So when Tom looks for a late hit, it's cool. But AGAIN when Reaves does it, it's bad. Dangerous. A threat to society.

C) Reaves actually scored a goal in this game. When Wilson has a goal and some big hits, Caps fan can't wait to come on here and tell eveybody how great he is. But when Reaves does that, he is "only out there to injure guys." The injury that, again, only came from the way Wilson landed and not from.....say, someone's elbow.
So? It’s still a very dangerous and controversial hit. It’s still a hit he didn’t need to dish out, but did because he obviously had a bone to pick either Wilson.

I’m not saying that at all, that’s where your getting things twisted. Both shouldn’t be doing those kinds of hits. The difference is Reaves got a pass while Wilson wouldn’t have, and that isn’t how things should work. Reaves wanted to stir things up. He wanted Wilson to go after him. They have a history and it shows.

Nice attempt to misuse my original statement and put some extra BS on it. I never said he is out there to injure anyone, but he was out there to provoke Wilson. Stop pretending like Reaves is a consistent player who actually contributes. He had Wilson’s number and Wilson was more than happy to retaliate. My point they aren’t paying Reaves to score or really even be a consistent player on the scoresheet. He’s their to fight and police his team. That doesn’t mean he didn’t take things to far this time around.

Using your logic, when a Goon like Reaves lays a bad hit on Wilson, everyone is happy and proclaims it as the best thing ever.....but when Wilson does it to another player, he’s dirty and a POS who doesn’t deserve to play......see the hypocrisy?

Wilson shouldn’t be treated differently. He should face the repercussions of his actions. What’s stupid is that Reaves somehow gets a pass for ultimately being dirty himself.

It Reaves hit Ovechkin like that, in retaliation to the hits Wilson has done....does that make it any better? Would people be happy? It’s the same concept. A lot of the people Wilson hit didn’t deserve it.....so why not even up the score and do the same?

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
So? It’s still a very dangerous and controversial hit. It’s still a hit he didn’t need to dish out, but did because he obviously had a bone to pick either Wilson.

I’m not saying that at all, that’s where your getting things twisted. Both shouldn’t be doing those kinds of hits. The difference is Reaves got a pass while Wilson wouldn’t have, and that isn’t how things should work. Reaves wanted to stir things up. He wanted Wilson to go after him. They have a history and it shows.

Nice attempt to misuse my original statement and put some extra BS on it. I never said he is out there to injure anyone, but he was out there to provoke Wilson. Stop pretending like Reaves is a consistent player who actually contributes. He had Wilson’s number and Wilson was more than happy to retaliate. My point they aren’t paying Reaves to score or really even be a consistent player on the scoresheet. He’s their to fight and police his team. That doesn’t mean he didn’t take things to far this time around.

Using your logic, when a Goon like Reaves lays a bad hit on Wilson, everyone is happy and proclaims it as the best thing ever.....but when Wilson does it to another player, he’s dirty and a POS who doesn’t deserve to play......see the hypocrisy?

Wilson shouldn’t be treated differently. He should face the repercussions of his actions. What’s stupid is that Reaves somehow gets a pass for ultimately being dirty himself.

Wilson JUST got "a pass" for hitting Seney late blindside. A pass in that the NHL doesn't really deem those hits as suspendable, same as Reaves' hit on Edler.

Wilson has faced supplemental discipline for his headshots. This, and I can't make this more clear, wasn't a headshot. I don't understand the disconnect with people who say these guys are one in the same or this hit was *giggle* WORSE than what Wilson does. When Wilson does that, it's hockey but when Reaves does it, he's only out there for one purpose and that's to put guys out (ONCE AGAIN, Wilson is out because of how he landed....)

My logic isn't that when Reaves lays a "bad hit" everyone is happy and when Wilson does that he's a POS. That's a weird conclusion to come to. What my point has been this whole time is simple, everything that has been said about Reaves can be said about Tom and then some. Wilson went after Reaves later than Reaves went after Wilson. Wilson has cracked guys in the head, but Reaves' shoulder to shoulder hit is what goes over the line to Wilson apologists. That's my issue.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Wilson would not have survived in the eighties with his reckless and spot-picking ways. Let this be a lesson to him.
That can be said about a lot of players. Even star players now a days have done plenty of dirty stuff. Back in those days, the only reason why a star player would be dirty is only because he had the baddest enforcer on his team.

Now a days, there is no ownership. If Crosby or Malkin want to hack someone or worst, they get to because players can’t hold them accountable anymore.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Wilson JUST got "a pass" for hitting Seney late blindside. A pass in that the NHL doesn't really deem those hits as suspendable, same as Reaves' hit on Edler.

Wilson has faced supplemental discipline for his headshots. This, and I can't make this more clear, wasn't a headshot. I don't understand the disconnect with people who say these guys are one in the same or this hit was *giggle* WORSE than what Wilson does. When Wilson does that, it's hockey but when Reaves does it, he's only out there for one purpose and that's to put guys out (ONCE AGAIN, Wilson is out because of how he landed....)

My logic isn't that when Reaves lays a "bad hit" everyone is happy and when Wilson does that he's a POS. That's a weird conclusion to come to. What my point has been this whole time is simple, everything that has been said about Reaves can be said about Tom and then some. Wilson went after Reaves later than Reaves went after Wilson. Wilson has cracked guys in the head, but Reaves' shoulder to shoulder hit is what goes over the line to Wilson apologists. That's my issue.
And that means that NHL should simply turn the other cheek to Reaves hit? No. The NHL should have been more strict on Wilson. Now they just exposed themselves as true hypocrites on everything they say they care about and act on.

Don’t be silly. Only a selective crowd actually defend Wilson. Everyone knows his history and how he plays.

Yet that’s exactly what is happening. Except the major difference in how they are played is that Wilson is there to play the game while Reaves is there to be a presents of intimidation and pick fights. Wilson shouldn’t be hitting people the way he has, and Reaves shouldn’t go out of his way to hit Wilson like he did, because we all know that’s the only reason why he was on the ice. Let’s not create a different narrative.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
And that means that NHL should simply turn the other cheek to Reaves hit? No. The NHL should have been more strict on Wilson. Now they just exposed themselves as true hypocrites on everything they say they care about and act on.

Don’t be silly. Only a selective crowd actually defend Wilson. Everyone knows his history and how he plays.

Yet that’s exactly what is happening. Except the major difference in how they are played is that Wilson is there to play the game while Reaves is there to be a presents of intimidation and pick fights. Wilson shouldn’t be hitting people the way he has, and Reaves shouldn’t go out of his way to hit Wilson like he did, because we all know that’s the only reason why he was on the ice. Let’s not create a different narrative.

Wilson is there to play the game and Reaves isn't. Again, Wilson sought out htting Reaves later than Reaves did, specifically because Reaves knocked him down seconds earlier in O-zone. That is hockey. But a hit less late to you is not hockey. Please elaborate.

deepelemblues

May 25, 2016
Pittsburgh
Maybe now Tommy will understand what can happen, and will change the way he plays so he is less of a danger to others and isn't such a magnet for league-wide hate. If this was Random NHL Player and not Tommy, it would be a nothingburger. Big shoulder-to-shoulder hit that was maybe a small fraction of a second late with an unfortunate ending. Move along. But it is Tommy. So it's got be some big deal.

I see nothing wrong with karma getting rough. Some people, by virtue of their own actions that they undertook of their own free will, remove from themselves being entitled to sympathy when something bad happens to them. Tommy is one such person.

Also LOL at this Reaves was running for Wilson all game. Like that's an illegitimate way to play a contact sport. Wrong. It's a part of contact sports. Pick a guy and go after him all game. Beat him down physically and/or get his mental game off track. Doesn't matter what GreatGonzo thinks of it, it is done in literally every contact sport and is 100% legitimate.

Last edited:

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Wilson is there to play the game and Reaves isn't. Again, Wilson sought out htting Reaves later than Reaves did, specifically because Reaves knocked him down seconds earlier in O-zone. That is hockey. But a hit less late to you is not hockey. Please elaborate.
Your logic is all over the place. There is a difference between “hockey” as you like to call it, and being a predator and seeking out a player just to prove a point. That’s obvious that that’s what Reaves did given by his overall demeanor and words after the fact. He was proud he laid that hit on Wilson.....is that hockey? Being a GOON and having your claim to fame be blindsiding a player causing a concussion? I don’t recall Wilson acting like his shit didn’t stink after those hits.

FYI, I’m not condoning Wilson’s hits or his behavior. It’s your priorities that need a bit of a reflection, especially when you think what Reaves did was “hockey” while what Wilson has done isn’t. Kind of ass backwards if you ask me.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Interesting that Reaves is on pace to have his best season offensively (granted, not saying much). He is even getting lots of PP time in Vegas. 6 goals, 10 pts with 2 PPG and a +/- of 4. Pretty decent for a talentless plug only looking to injure guys and instead of playing hockey.
Vegas is also 15-13, while Reaves sits 9th on his team in points and sees barely over a minute in PP time per game. Sure for Reaves this seems impressive, but like you said, that isn’t saying much.

He’s still an enforcer.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Can some of you really not comprehend that it’s ok to NOT like Reaves hit and behavior after the fact while still not condoning Wilson’s behavior in general? What’s with that?

It’s like some of you really have that limited of a though process that it can only be one way or another.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Your logic is all over the place. There is a difference between “hockey” as you like to call it, and being a predator and seeking out a player just to prove a point. That’s obvious that that’s what Reaves did given by his overall demeanor and words after the fact. He was proud he laid that hit on Wilson.....is that hockey? Being a GOON and having your claim to fame be blindsiding a player causing a concussion? I don’t recall Wilson acting like his **** didn’t stink after those hits.

FYI, I’m not condoning Wilson’s hits or his behavior. It’s your priorities that need a bit of a reflection, especially when you think what Reaves did was “hockey” while what Wilson has done isn’t. Kind of ass backwards if you ask me.

So no comment at Wilson seeking out Reaves right after being knocked down? But Reaves with a hit that Wilson himself has made isn't hockey? It really seems like you're just mad. My logic isn't all over the place, I'm literally repeating myself every post. Wilson does something, it is hockey. Reaves does the SAME THING, not hockey. Wilson does WORSE, still hockey for some reason. Please elaborate.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
...Wilson shouldn’t be hitting people the way he has, and Reaves shouldn’t go out of his way to hit Wilson like he did...
While true it is close to equating the two and they aren't equal. Reaves did not target the head. Wilson frequently does. That is a major difference. The only thing wrong with Reaves' hit is that it was late, and not even that late according to the NHL's standards. Being late is at most a component of the hits that have gotten Wilson in trouble, while the main problem is usually that he explodes through the head. The typical suspendable Wilson hit is much worse than what Reaves did to Wilson. I mean, we just saw Wilson get away with basically the same thing without supplemental discipline. Wilson would not be nearly as hated if he stopped hitting people in the head. Well, it might be too late for him now so I should say he wouldn't be nearly as hated if he had never hit people in the head, or at least hadn't made it a habit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->