No Supplemental Discipline for Reaves hit on Wilson

SpringfieldSkins

Jan 28, 2010
Springfield, VA
The hit was actually from the side. Shoulder to shoulder. (Not that it matters or that I care. Reaves could have blown Wilson up any way and I'd have been okay with it.)

What are you even trying to prove? That you’re a bigger douche than Wilson? Cause that’s how you’re coming off.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Food for thought to all of the posters say "Haha, loved it can't wait to see it happen again."

It literally took the strongest player in the league making a late blind side hit to knock Wilson on his rear, so unless your team is hiding 1980's Dolph Lundgren somewhere on your roster I think you're just going to have to keep getting your jollies from this game. This isn't going to be a regular occurrence and it's not because teams won't try...
We're still on the "what Wilson does is okay because he's bigger and stronger than most guys" thing?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
We're still on the "what Wilson does is okay because he's bigger and stronger than most guys" thing?

Is that what he said? No. He said what Reaves did is unlikely to happen again so if you're enjoying this you'd better savor it.

The size issue is not an all or nothing proposition. It is possible for him to cause damage due to his size, but also bear some responsibility for controlling himself. Chara has a stick that's longer than standard due to his height but it's not an excuse for him to use it as a weapon. However it's understandable if sometimes that reach/arc can present a problem. Same goes for the pros and cons of his height when hitting.

Ahoy there

Always in control of my stick
Nov 10, 2018
NC via WI
I don't like hits that can end careers or jeopardize the long-term health of others. This is a game. I say this as a principle because it is a very very big ask to feel sorry for Wilson.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

dylanmacarthur

RonFrancis dēlenda est
Nov 8, 2013
How do you know Reaves intended to injure Wilson? Shoulder to shoulder contact, perhaps a nanosecond too late and Wilson was watching Reaves prior to the contact, which Reaves himself stated in an interview but for some reason Wilson decided to turn his attention to his pass instead, which is a rookie move. Reaves had no control over what happened after the contact, or are you suggesting Reaves is some sort of an android able to calculate something like opponent's helmet falling off and him hitting the ice with his forehead?
I'm suggesting reaves targeted him the entire game, made a clearly illegal hit clearly part of this targeting, and achieved his goal of injuring a player.

Maybe you arent smart enough to know a blindside hit can injure someone. Doesn't take an android to know that amigo. Reaves knew it and achieved his goal.

He is a fat talentless clown. What's the most points chubs has in a season?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
You spent WAY too much time on the "why" behind the bolded bottom line of truth, which is the crux of the matter. "Why" is an excuse. And when the issue is unpunished headshots, with so many clearly taking direct aim at the head and not even getting a hearing (like Malkin on Oshie) the excuses are hollow.

Caps fans want CONSISTENCY in treatment of players. It's currently open season on Caps players where elbows and shoulders are being thrown to the head intentionally, and nothing is being done. We aren't losing role players and scrubs to this, our stars have been going down all year, and the league is doing next to nothing.

Claiming "yeah will people hate Tom Wilson and he hits guys in the head" as justification for that is not acceptable. Just because you and Tom Wilson or Caps haters don't care doesn't mean it's not an issue.

Of course it doesn't. But your fanbase does itself no favors by ardently defending every single thing Wilson does. And don't get me wrong any fanbase that employs a serial suspendee does it too. I was just reading through the Raffi Torres hit thread and it was the same story as pretty much every Wilson thread.

I'll be honest I don't know what it was that injured Kuznetsov or caused injuries to any of your other key players. But I doubt the majority opinion is "it's okay that they got injured if your team employs Tom Wilson." Maybe there are some who do, and maybe there are some that are callous cause it's the Caps but people are especially vicious towards Wilson, or in this case indifferent or glad about his injury because the amount of times he's injured a guy or potentially injured someone is quite high and every time one of his hits drums up controversy there is always a subset of fans who insist that he didn't and doesn't ever do anything wrong.

You wanna say it's unacceptable to make an exception to a desire to see physicality held to a less reckless standard when Wilson finally suffers the same treatment he's dished out to others, fine. You wanna say it's unacceptable? Fine. It won't stop people from getting mad at Wilson if he ever does something again. It won't stop people from getting mad at people who defend him for it. And as it is now with Caps fans all of a sudden calling for players being held to be more responsible for their hits, it won't change that it's in the NHL's hands to be consistent about how they crack down on illegal checks to the head. Which, you know. Didn't happen on this or the Seney hit.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Is that what he said? No. He said what Reaves did is unlikely to happen again so if you're enjoying this you'd better savor it.

The size issue is not an all or nothing proposition. It is possible for him to cause damage due to his size, but also bear some responsibility for controlling himself. Chara has a stick that's longer than standard due to his height but it's not an excuse for him to use it as a weapon. However it's understandable if sometimes that reach/arc can present a problem. Same goes for the pros and cons of his height when hitting.

Uh, sure. I can get behind this if this had happened with Wilson once or twice. But we all know it's been more than that. And I'll grant you, the Seney hit is a different kind of hit so by all accounts, maybe Wilson has learned from the Sundqvist hit. But any narrative that suggests that Wilson's size makes it impossible to be a hitter without occasionally putting players at risk is invalid. Tom Wilson is 6'4 210 lbs. Josh Manson is 6'3 214 lbs. Yes there's an inch of difference but Manson is still a tall guy. The real difference is that Manson destroys guys with hits but hasn't once made intentional or incidental contact with anyone's head. Doesn't have a reputation for doing it, doesn't have suspensions for it, because he's never done it. So it's possible to be big and strong and not hit in a manner that puts player health and safety at risk.

Hopefully Wilson has learned how to do so.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
Then why bring it up? I don't believe you and other Pens fans just held your tongues during these injustices you claim happened at the hands of the DOPS.

I bring it up because the issue isn't DOPS. It's Wilson, and when you have guy like him on your team, stuff like this happens.

Hobodrifter

Jan 23, 2009
Jeannette
What thread? And what do the posts actually say? I know my take was always "It's a shame he such an idiot because when he's not trying to hurt people he's a good hockey player." That is not defending him.
Pens fans, as far as I can remember, never explained away thrown elbows from Cooke as merely collisions between players looking at each other. There were the bs excuses for Cooke along the lines of head shots not being explicitly banned via the rules etc. That's a bad excuse, of course. But I never read the incessant and illogical type of defense that seems to come from Wilson supporters. Matter of fact, I think many of us were quite comfortable with Kane knocking Cooke out.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Trying to work up some sympathy for Wilson here...trying...trying...

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
And Marchessault deserved that shot after openly mocking Barry Trotz. See why revenge is stupid?
Because he did a hot lap?

He also did it prepping for the peg.

Good Lord you Caps fans are babies.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
No, we're on the "Hurr hurr, now starts the era of Wilson getting his" thing.

Terrible reading comprehension. D-

People here are acting like this is the new era and Wilson is going to get more of this, I just don't see it. Guys like Reaves are a rarity in the league and a luxury that barely anyone can afford in 2018 (an enforcer that doesn't produce any points?).

Guys like Byfuglien (valuable and strong players) are the only players that will be able to do what Reaves did and I don't think Dustin Byfuglien's grow on trees.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Nah, Reaves also knocked him on his rear when Wilson took a late run at him earlier in the game as well, because Tom was mad at....you guessed it, Reaves knocking him on his rear again. It wasn't a perfect storm for Wilson to get knocked down, it was just the fact his dad just so happens to play for the Vegas Knights who the Capitals happened to be playing....
His dad... who was scratched in game 5 of the SCF.

Nice...

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
What does it matter? Caps have nobody in the National League or the minors that Reeves would be remotely worried about. If Tommy boy dropped the gloves and took his beating early he would have avoided being absolutely rocked. Instead Tommy tucked his tail and ran away and we see what that got him.
I despise both Reaves and Wilson but at least Wilson can play hockey. Reaves is beyond useless and Wilson would be dumb to fight him for more reasons than the fact Reaves would win since that's all he practices.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Luke Gazdic
Brandon Bollig
Chris Stewart
Tom Sestito
Joe Thornton
Brian Boyle
Ross Johnston
Marcus Foligno
Ryan Reaves
Picking fights with 38 yo hof Thornton isn't exactly something to brag about. Joe can handle his own but he hasn't scrapped regularly since he was a Bruin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad