No Supplemental Discipline for Reaves hit on Wilson

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Vegas is also 15-13, while Reaves sits 9th on his team in points and sees barely over a minute in PP time per game. Sure for Reaves this seems impressive, but like you said, that isn’t saying much.

He’s still an enforcer.

Can some of you really not comprehend that it’s ok to NOT like Reaves hit and behavior after the fact while still not condoning Wilson’s behavior in general? What’s with that?

It’s like some of you really have that limited of a though process that it can only be one way or another.

I don't much like Reaves behavior after the fact. I wish the hit was delivered on time and not late. All that said, I am not a fan of saying Reaves' only purpose is as an enforcer. I see him growing offensively and trying to change his game. He has been practicing relentlessly since he got here on his redirects and that is how he has scored most of his goals now. I mean that isn't the work of a talentless goon either.

Would he have a career in hockey if he couldn't deliver the hits he could? Unlikely, but I don't think it is fair to say that this is the only thing he does. If you watch him more than this game (especially this season), he actually skates around and plays hockey rather than trying to run guys all game. I have no doubt that last game was an exception due to his history with Wilson. I honestly hated the guy when we first got him, but I've seen a lot more of his game now, and I like most of what he brings. I'm not a huge fan of the bravado, but OTOH, hockey could use some personality now and again.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
True, but his fight card is still far superior than Wilson’s. Wilson would knock himself out before ever fighting a super-heavyweight in Brian McGrattan.

True, but Wilson doesn't like to call himself a lion and act like he's the toughest guy to ever play the game when he generally gets to beat up on middleweights whenever he does fight.

In Vegas for preseason this year, Mr. Lion got frisky and MacDermid came over and challenged him, dropping a glove ready to go. Mr. Lion, the true spot-picking-non-code-following-fake, just mouthed off and acted tough behind the refs.

The real heavyweights understood that established guys gave them a chance when they were trying to break in so they returned the favor: even in preseason.

Reaves is a pathetic clown, however. His "HW Champ" status is solely due to the lack of enforcers in the NHL. That's another reason why his lion comment was so ridiculous; he's not in a jungle but rather a zoo in which he has escaped his enclosure and is feasting on hapless visitors.

Reactions: DrewGl

DrewGl

Jul 28, 2018
Alexandria, VA
I don't much like Reaves behavior after the fact. I wish the hit was delivered on time and not late. All that said, I am not a fan of saying Reaves' only purpose is as an enforcer. I see him growing offensively and trying to change his game. He has been practicing relentlessly since he got here on his redirects and that is how he has scored most of his goals now. I mean that isn't the work of a talentless goon either.

Would he have a career in hockey if he couldn't deliver the hits he could? Unlikely, but I don't think it is fair to say that this is the only thing he does. If you watch him more than this game (especially this season), he actually skates around and plays hockey rather than trying to run guys all game. I have no doubt that last game was an exception due to his history with Wilson. I honestly hated the guy when we first got him, but I've seen a lot more of his game now, and I like most of what he brings. I'm not a huge fan of the bravado, but OTOH, hockey could use some personality now and again.
Probably the most level headed post in this thread.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
So no comment at Wilson seeking out Reaves right after being knocked down? But Reaves with a hit that Wilson himself has made isn't hockey? It really seems like you're just mad. My logic isn't all over the place, I'm literally repeating myself every post. Wilson does something, it is hockey. Reaves does the SAME THING, not hockey. Wilson does WORSE, still hockey for some reason. Please elaborate.
I clearly said both shouldn’t taken it upon themselves to get even with each other because in the end acts like what we saw will take place.

Your problem so your repeatedly saying something that isn’t true and is only said by a select few. I never said what Wilson does is hockey, where as what Reaves does is dirty. So before you post anything else, stop basing our argument on something I clearly never said and don’t believe in.
You don't ask a lion to knit you a sweater.
:laugh: Flawless.

I see your point. The irony is that People have still been trying to say that Reaves is suddenly an actual hockey player with some importance, while Wilson is nothing more than a dirty POS. It’s just strange how one day gets that benefit(that he doesn’t deserve) because he put Wilson in his place.

That doesn’t mean Wilson is any better, but when Reaves is on the ice, do people reallt expect anything less from him outside of being a brute? In the end, as much as he tried to play, that’s still his role.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I wasn't talking about liking those guys I was talking about Pens fans being OK with their players being targeted or going unprotected by DOPS BECAUSE of those guys.

But while we're on the topic...(too lazy to look for the Cooke appreciation thread on the Pens board)

Plenty of us Pens fans hated Cooke's cheap shots. Please don't lump us all into that thread!

Reactions: egelband

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Yet that’s exactly what is happening. Except the major difference in how they are played is that Wilson is there to play the game while Reaves is there to be a presents of intimidation and pick fights.

What’s stupid is that Reaves somehow gets a pass for ultimately being dirty himself.

I clearly said both shouldn’t taken it upon themselves to get even with each other because in the end acts like what we saw will take place.

Your problem so your repeatedly saying something that isn’t true and is only said by a select few. I never said what Wilson does is hockey, where as what Reaves does is dirty. So before you post anything else, stop basing our argument on something I clearly never said and don’t believe in.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
[mod]

Wilson isn’t an enforcer, a goon, he isn’t there LIKE REAVES for a particular reason. That doesn’t mean all the dirty hits he does and his behavior is “hockey” or that it’s ok to do. The difference between the two is Wilson is an actual regular and impactful to his team(when he isn’t doing stupid shit). Where as when Reaves is on the ice, well.....the proof is there. If you honestly want to manipulate this whole situation and complain something that is being said, make sure it’s actually being said....don’t take a bunch of my quotes and put them out of context. We both know Wilson is no angel, while Reaves just showed everyone how arrogant he is. Both are guilty, both should have been disciplined(Wilson more so).

Maybe if I do more dots, my statement appears more clear to you.

Last edited by a moderator:

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
[mod]

Wilson isn’t an enforcer, a goon, he isn’t there LIKE REAVES for a particular reason. That doesn’t mean all the dirty hits he does and his behavior is “hockey” or that it’s ok to do. The difference between the two is Wilson is an actual regular and impactful to his team(when he isn’t doing stupid ****). Where as when Reaves is on the ice, well.....the proof is there.

You're saying that Reaves is only there to take guys out, but Tom isn't. Yet Tom takes more guys out in a dirtier fashion. You may not understand it, but you're largely absolving Wilson's dirtier play in contrast to Reaves because he scores more goals.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Wilson never celebrated or bragged about a hit that injured someone. He hasn’t spent whole games targeting a specific opponent. People are confusing someone whose adrenaline gets the best of him versus someone who nefariously plans to injure someone. Reaves is a no-talent scoundrel who will get his, either in hockey or in life.

Reactions: Dr Black and 53or8

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
[mod]

Wilson isn’t an enforcer, a goon, he isn’t there LIKE REAVES for a particular reason. That doesn’t mean all the dirty hits he does and his behavior is “hockey” or that it’s ok to do. The difference between the two is Wilson is an actual regular and impactful to his team(when he isn’t doing stupid ****). Where as when Reaves is on the ice, well.....the proof is there. If you honestly want to manipulate this whole situation and complain something that is being said, make sure it’s actually being said....don’t take a bunch of my quotes and put them out of context. We both know Wilson is no angel, while Reaves just showed everyone how arrogant he is. Both are guilty, both should have been disciplined(Wilson more so).

Also, Wilson has twice as many fights the last few seasons. You seem to really admonish Reaves of things you think are what he brings to the game, but those same things in spades are held less against Wilson. And you also seem oblivious to the fact that you're doing that.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
You're saying that Reaves is only there to take guys out, but Tom isn't. Yet Tom takes more guys out in a dirtier fashion. You may not understand it, but you're largely absolving Wilson's dirtier play in contrast to Reaves because he scores more goals.
:laugh:

Do you enjoy making up your own narrative? I never said that either. I’m not going to argue what I did or didn’t say or attempt to understand your translating tactics. You clearly are fishing for things through my statements.

I never said any of that, YOU did. That still doesn’t take away the fact that Reaves whopping 12 minutes average ice time a game is mainly for being what he is, an enforcer. Not making dirty hits. Wilson is clearly more of a secure player on the roster, his problem is he can’t seem to go more than a month without making a dirty or controversial hit.

You coming to Reaves aid is cute, especially since you have to create strawmen and be as bias as they come. Before you say anything else, I don’t think Wilson is innocent, just a better overall player.....but he needed to be disciplined, the league showed their true colors letting Reaves off the hook. They need to either be more consistent or hand down harsher suspensions.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Also, Wilson has twice as many fights the last few seasons. You seem to really admonish Reaves of things you think are what he brings to the game, but those same things in spades are held less against Wilson. And you also seem oblivious to the fact that you're doing that.
And what exactly does he bring to the game?....since your suddenly such an avid supporter, Mainly because he put Wilson in check?

Don’t be that guy. It’s clear your just happy he took Wilson out. That’s all this is.

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
I despise both Reaves and Wilson but at least Wilson can play hockey. Reaves is beyond useless and Wilson would be dumb to fight him for more reasons than the fact Reaves would win since that's all he practices.

Reaves' stats so far this year: 6 G, 4 A, 10 P.

Yep, can't argue with the chief there.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
:laugh:

Do you enjoy making up your own narrative? I never said that either. I’m not going to argue what I did or didn’t say or attempt to understand your translating tactics. You clearly are fishing for things through my statements.

I never said any of that, YOU did. That still doesn’t take away the fact that Reaves whopping 12 minutes average ice time a game is mainly for being what he is, an enforcer. Not making dirty hits. Wilson is clearly more of a secure player on the roster, his problem is he can’t seem to go more than a month without making a dirty or controversial hit.

You coming to Reaves aid is cute, especially since you have to create strawmen and be as bias as they come. Before you say anything else, I don’t think Wilson is innocent, just a better overall player.....but he needed to be disciplined, the league showed their true colors letting Reaves off the hook. They need to either be more consistent or hand down harsher suspensions.

One of my replies was literally just quoting what you said three times, and you're still claiming I'm making up false narratives out of thin air. Must be a D.C. thing......

So hypothetically, if Reaves were to play 5 more minutes of ice time, he could take worse hits like Wilson?

YOUR posts have said that Reaves isn't there to play hockey, he's there to pick fights and make questionable hits and Tom is there to play hockey. It just so happens he gets into more fights and makes even more questionable hits. What am I missing here?

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
And what exactly does he bring to the game?....since your suddenly such an avid supporter, Mainly because he put Wilson in check?

Don’t be that guy. It’s clear your just happy he took Wilson out. That’s all this is.

Something about making up false narratives.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
One of my replies was literally just quoting what you said three times, and you're still claiming I'm making up false narratives out of thin air. Must be a D.C. thing......

So hypothetically, if Reaves were to play 5 more minutes of ice time, he could take worse hits like Wilson?

YOUR posts have said that Reaves isn't there to play hockey, he's there to pick fights and make questionable hits and Tom is there to play hockey. It just so happens he gets into more fights and makes even more questionable hits. What am I missing here?
Your “quoting” me while insisting my quote is saying something that I wasn’t. Your purposely using it out of context.

I’m sorry if you can handle their on ice obligations and their overall roles to their teams :laugh:. Reaves IS an enforcer who sees little ice time overall. Reaves is hardly there to play hockey, he’s their to fight, intimidate, and put players in check.....like enforcers do(shocking!). Wilson has a much bigger role on his team, except he chooses to do dumb shit and make dumb plays(like his hit history). But in now way is their impact equal.

You can try to avoid the simple facts, doesn’t make it less true. Like I said, you have Reaves back because you hate Wilson. Your emotionally invested and choose to creat arguments that aren’t said while trying to reverse our views on why Reaves is there.

You know what, your right. Reaves isn’t there to fight. He’s there to score goals and make plays....he just isn’t very good at it and that’s why his ice time is so low. While Wilson is just a dirty POS who happens to be more talented than Reaves.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Reaves' stats so far this year: 6 G, 4 A, 10 P.

Yep, can't argue with the chief there.
That's in 29 games played, meanwhile...

Tom Wilson has 8G 6A 14P in only 11 GP

Will this be a career year for Reaves? Most likely, does that make him have true hockey value? I mean, it's not hard to have a career year when your previous career high is 13 points. In fact in 11 games this season Wilson has eclipsed Reaves career high in points and goals and tied his assists record... once again that's only in the time since mid November.

Food for thought, the only time Tom Wilson ever finished a season with under 13 points he was 19 years old and a rookie.

So yeah... I don't see how these guys are comparable in value in the least.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Your “quoting” me while insisting my quote is saying something that I wasn’t. Your purposely using it out of context.

I’m sorry if you can handle their on ice obligations and their overall roles to their teams :laugh:. Reaves IS an enforcer who sees little ice time overall. Reaves is hardly there to play hockey, he’s their to fight, intimidate, and put players in check.....like enforcers do(shocking!). Wilson has a much bigger role on his team, except he chooses to do dumb **** and make dumb plays(like his hit history). But in now way is their impact equal.

You can try to avoid the simple facts, doesn’t make it less true. Like I said, you have Reaves back because you hate Wilson. Your emotionally invested and choose to creat arguments that aren’t said while trying to reverse our views on why Reaves is there.

You know what, your right. Reaves isn’t there to fight. He’s there to score goals and make plays....he just isn’t very good at it and that’s why his ice time is so low. While Wilson is just a dirty POS who happens to be more talented than Reaves.

Your point is that the things Wilson does that are dirtier and more frequent than Reaves are ok because he plays on a higher line than Reaves. Tom Wilson fights more an hits dirtier, but that's ok because he is a better goal scorer. That's exactly what you're saying, it's just I'm positive you don't know that's what you're saying.

Your quotes weren't out of context. Your opinion on the two has been the same throughout, and how exactly has it been misrepresented? Everything you've said about the two is plain and simple.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Right.......

Coming from you that’s rich. You have been spouting off about this and that, making up arguments as you go by trying to tie me into your agenda.

I can't help it if you're slow to understand words that you yourself have used, and being held to them. Everyone is different and learns on their own schedule.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Kind of off topic, but I just found out today that I didn't grow up too far away from Tom Wilson's girlfriend and that she happens to be from Winnipeg.

But also wanted to comment on the picture of Reaves signing. Realistically it could be said that Reaves signed a picture with him in it, not necessarily what the context of the picture was.

dylanmacarthur

RonFrancis dēlenda est
Nov 8, 2013
Stay classy Vegas and Reaves!

ryan-reaves-signed-photo.jpg

Shagged Yer Nan

Tom Filthson
Feb 15, 2012
NoVa
I think this thread is well over the actual hit and more about the antics post-game and the classless glorification and cheering of an injured player from posters who are known to want a safer nhl.

It’s kinda bull-shit. You can’t constantly preach player safety, then all of a sudden change your positions due to the circumstances. That makes you a clown and weakens any future statements/arguments you make.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->