Post-Game Talk: No double entendre today | Jets lose 3-1 to Lina

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetsfan8

Mar 13, 2013
You remind me of the callers on 1290 who call in to complain about the forwards we have and expect to get better players out of no where. Where are you going to get better forwards from to replace those guys? The good ol NHL tree? Just for the Jets picking? Oh look a fresh crosby for us to pick up. Get real. This is what the Jets have and for what we have being in the position that we are, I am impressed.

all i want is proper lines
you dont play your two worst players on the second line and give them 20+ minutes of ice time every night
we play a three line system, with jokinen and miteinnen on line #2

i dont ask for new superstars to be yanked in, i ask for common sense on the line creations

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Weird vibe around here after a loss.

They miss guys like Slater, Wright, & Peluso right now, guys that play a heavier game and bring some effort on the forecheck. That explains why the Jets are going with three lines right now, because one line is missing from the equation. I'd like to see them sign Lowry and at least bring him in to skate with the team; not at all stating they should waste a year of his contract but rather just to bring him in for a look and see if his feet can keep up for a game or two if possible. Call up O'Dell too. An infusion of some youth around a team at this time of year serves to push the pace in-house and motivates vets in the process.

Whatever. Despite all of the warts that some here wish to highlight... they are still leading the pack right now. The Jets current position in the standings beats the heck out of where they stood last season at the same time (comparatively speaking).

I think Wright and Slater are sorely missed, gutless performers like Wellwood, Tangradi, Mittens, Jokinen and Burmi don't bring the intensity to overcome B games by the teams top players.

What O'Dell is still doing in the A is puzzling when your getting basically nothing from a handful of forwards.

Avocado Coolranch

Just a fool
Jul 1, 2012
Vancouver
you dont play your two worst players on the second line and give them 20+ minutes of ice time every night

i dont ask for new superstars to be yanked in, i ask for common sense on the line creations

Not many options when it comes to second line. Most of the players we have are third liners. Jets need a top 6 right winger bad but not as easy to obtain as most think.

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville

Fair enough - what player combinations would you consider proper lines? And, how would you manage those lines in a game like this one?

Remember, you've got to match them against the 'Canes lines for the best results, AND you've got to play the D pairings with the 4 line combos you put together. And, don't forget the Jets played almost a quarter of the game short-handed, so you've got to account for the PK players, and keeping them from getting gassed too early.

So with all that, what would be your 4 line combos?

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Post-game audio

Jets-bench-March-30-300x200.jpg

Jets - Bogosian, Wheeler, Ladd and Pavelec.

To listen click here.

Coach-Noel-post-game-March-30-300x225.jpg

Coach Noel less than pleased.

To listen click here.

Canes-bench-March-30-300x200.jpg

Canes: Coach Muller and Eric Staal.

To listen click here.

Jets-and-Hurricanes-post-game-300x200.jpg

Guest Host Michael Remis and Analyst Richard Pollock break down the Jets play against the Hurricanes.

To listen click here.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Fair enough - what player combinations would you consider proper lines? And, how would you manage those lines in a game like this one?

Remember, you've got to match them against the 'Canes lines for the best results, AND you've got to play the D pairings with the 4 line combos you put together. And, don't forget the Jets played almost a quarter of the game short-handed, so you've got to account for the PK players, and keeping them from getting gassed too early.

I think with Kulda, Stu back in on D you could play Meech and Clitsome at forward positions and get better results than the anaemic forwards we have in right now.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg

Olli and Anti played 16:47 minutes and 14:11 minutes tonight. They were +2 and combined for 1g and 1a and 3 shots.

On that note I don't think they have ever played 20 minutes in a game, and have averaged 17:33 and 13:16 per game this season.

It's unusual that you would single them out this game, as they are the only line that produced a goal. I can only assume this just a rage reaction to the loss, bolstered by your well-documented dislike of them.

Also, to respond to your earlier thread, Pavelec did not play badly today. One goal off a deflection off of a skate. The PP goal can not be counted against him. The first goal wan't terrible either. Even if you take away the first goal, the Jets still failed to score 2 goals, so he was not one of the 'big reasons we lost the game'.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
You remind me of the callers on 1290 who call in to complain about the forwards we have and expect to get better players out of no where. Where are you going to get better forwards from to replace those guys? The good ol NHL tree? Just for the Jets picking? Oh look a fresh crosby for us to pick up. Get real. This is what the Jets have and for what we have being in the position that we are, I am impressed.

And you remind me of someone who started watching hockey again in September 2011 and is just happy to be back in the league. Which is fine, but rather than putting words in my mouth or insulting me, maybe try refuting what I was saying.

Those 7 forwards I named have scored 16 goals in 34 games. If you include Burmistrov (3), Wright (1) and Slater (1) - players that deserve a roster spot but haven't produced offensively - that puts us at 20 goals in 34 games from 10 of 14 forwards.

If you don't think foward depth is a problem on this team, I can't help you. Glad you're following the NHL again though.

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
If hockey was a non-contact sport, Kyle Wellwood would be awesome. Unforutnately...

Not our proudest effort. Byfuglien was not good. Oddly enough, I thought Mittens had himself a decent evening. If you are getting okay play from Mittens, and you kill 6 penalties, you should be able to get a win off of a 3rd string goalie. Alas, we spent the evening trying to soften his pads, and the puck stayed out of the net.

All things considered, I'm very disappointed.

jetsfan8

Mar 13, 2013

Ladd-Little-Wheeler
Kane-Antropov-Burmistrov
Slater-Jokinen-Wellwood
Wright-Miettinen-Peluso

nect year antropov would be replaced by someone (whether its a trade, FA, or whatever

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
I should qualify my previous post by making it clear that I do not believe that Mittens belongs anywhere near an NHL top-6. I just meant he was not a disaster today. Basically, he was not Wellwood-bad, which is a notch or two below disgustingly terrible.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
If hockey was a non-contact sport, Kyle Wellwood would be awesome. Unforutnately...

He had a horrible shift where he coughed it up twice I think, and almost a third time where he poked the puck up, but a Jet managed to get to it first. Still, damn sloppy and probably one of the worst shifts of any player in the game.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
He had a horrible shift where he coughed it up twice I think, and almost a third time where he poked the puck up, but a Jet managed to get to it first. Still, damn sloppy and probably one of the worst shifts of any player in the game.

I think I could count on a hand of a man missing fingers how many good games Wellwood has had this season. If Slater and Wright were back Welly would be sitting next game.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Ladd-Little-Wheeler
Kane-Antropov-Burmistrov
Slater-Jokinen-Wellwood
Wright-Miettinen-Peluso

nect year antropov would be replaced by someone (whether its a trade, FA, or whatever

Slater and Miettinen are in positions that they've never played for the entirety of their careers, as far as I'm aware.

I like the look of that 2nd line, although I'd prefer Burmistrov down the middle and Antropov on the wing.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Slater and Miettinen are in positions that they've never played for the entirety of their careers, as far as I'm aware.

I like the look of that 2nd line, although I'd prefer Burmistrov down the middle and Antropov on the wing.

I've been spouting for a while:

Ladd-Little-Wheeler
Kane-Antropov-Burmistrov
Miettinen-Jokinen-Wellwood
Wright-Slater-Peluso

As, Burmistrov says (something along the lines of): I can like playing wing with Antro, as him and I will swap roles on the ice if it is needed.
(His broken English was kind of like that)

Ironically this is where Kane, Jokinen, Antropov, Burmistrov and Wellwood have seen their best numbers, offensively + defensively, and goals + corsi(chances)

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Ladd-Little-Wheeler
Kane-Antropov-Burmistrov
Slater-Jokinen-Wellwood
Wright-Miettinen-Peluso

LLW
Kane Burmi Antro
Wright Joki Welly
Peluso Slater Mittens

And swap Joki and Antro when needed.

Its frustrating to see the team lose, but in pro hockey you can't win them all, but you can control your next five games, go 3-2 and you are well positioned.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Not many options when it comes to second line. Most of the players we have are third liners. Jets need a top 6 right winger bad but not as easy to obtain as most think.

Thats right, these players don't just grow on the ol NHL tree, like some of us 1290 callers think. Could you imagine what we could do if Cammalleri, Jagr, Pominville, Roy, Ribeiro, Boyes, Ott, Clowe were available?

Avocado Coolranch

Just a fool
Jul 1, 2012
Vancouver
And you remind me of someone who started watching hockey again in September 2011 and is just happy to be back in the league. Which is fine, but rather than putting words in my mouth or insulting me, maybe try refuting what I was saying.

Those 7 forwards I named have scored 16 goals in 34 games. If you include Burmistrov (3), Wright (1) and Slater (1) - players that deserve a roster spot but haven't produced offensively - that puts us at 20 goals in 34 games from 10 of 14 forwards.

If you don't think foward depth is a problem on this team, I can't help you. Glad you're following the NHL again though.

I don't disagree that forward depth is an issue, but what did you expect? The team was brought in from Atlanta and initially did not have much forward depth to begin with. This is just the second season of the Jets coming back. How can you expect a huge forward overhaul in that short span. The Jet's management plan on building through the draft. Doesn't that take time?

I understand the frustration but your post is just rant and no solution (maybe just stating the obvious). I apologize for grouping you in with the callers on 1290 and didn't mean to offend. It just sounded like you wanted to throw every Jet under the bus over one loss and my bad for assuming I guess. I honestly admit, I didn't follow the NHL until the Jets came back but I don't get what is wrong for being a new fan.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
Thats right, these players don't just grow on the ol NHL tree, like some of us 1290 callers think. Could you imagine what we could do if Cammalleri, Jagr, Pominville, Roy, Ribeiro, Boyes, Ott, Clowe were available?
I imagine what we will do is watch those players be traded to some other team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad