Nintendo Switch #4: More than 1 year later

Status
Not open for further replies.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Yea no headphone jack is weird. If you're playing docked I think headphones are limited to Bluetooth. I know my PS4 headset works, at least.

Yeah I think there’s some weird little adapter thing you have to get

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
So far so good. Got 15 stars in 64 before I had to head to bed for work in the morning and it plays great on the switch. You can even notice the difference they did with the upscsled textures.

The wing cap however sucked in 1996 and still sucks now. :laugh: took me forever to get that stupid bonus star in the cap switch course. That and the 8 red coin star in the first bowser level because i kept falling off trying to get the first two coins lmao

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Tried all three out just to see how things are. They all look great. All run smoothly.

The higher resolution on 64 is quite noticeable. 16:9 really would have been nice but it's not a deal breaker.

The remapped sunshine controls take a little getting used because of old GameCube controller muscle memory, but not too bad.

Galaxy is weird. Gyro controls for the pointer is pretty mehhhh. The spin mapped to the Y button is nice though.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Set my system clock ahead to play 3D All-Stars early

Totally worth it, even if the ports are a bit lazy I just love these games

64 with an actual analog stick is an incredible improvement

I'm really surprised at how well Galaxy works with joycons, the reset pointer button makes it really easy to grab star bits and spinning with Y helps to lessen the motion control nuisance; I do have a feeling it stinks to play in handheld with the touchscreen though, haven't tried it yet

I'm gonna play through Sunshine first since I never owned it and never beat it, but man, it is not as smooth as I remember, and the production value has not aged well

All in all, I'm happy with it so far

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Oh man i'm pumped to get home and get going on 64. Happy to hear it looks nice. I was a littler disappointed they didn't fully remake the game this year, but it sounds like the upgrades are noticeable!

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The Pro Controller is definitely really good. I use both the sticks and the d-pad a lot and don't have an issue with either.

I'm not too fussed about graphical stuff/resolution when it comes to 3D Mario. Being able to play Sunshine and especially Galaxy anywhere is more than enough for me.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The games themselves look great. I personally would argue in the other direction in that I would rather they not be touched too much (added features, tweaks, and touchups often backfire and remove charm, IMO).

That said, the UI that organizes everything is pretty awful and does give the whole thing this cheap and amateurish quality that does sour it a bit for me. That bothers me more than the fact that they're direct emulated ports (which is kind of what I expected and wanted anyways).

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I have never understood some of the complaints about 64 and how it has aged.

I think it controls really well and I never had an issue with the camera. Maybe its just because I am used to it. Idk.

Actually I might like this experience better because its not on the N64 controller which was always a bit awkward to use.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I think they should have included the option to switch to a more modern camera or the original camera controls as well as 16x9 or 4x3. Let people either play it with some modern updates or the way it was originally intended.

Reactions: robertmac43

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

I think it controls really well and I never had an issue with the camera. Maybe its just because I am used to it. Idk.

Actually I might like this experience better because its not on the N64 controller which was always a bit awkward to use.
It always controlled amazingly, like every mario game.

The camera is generally pretty smart and only becomes an enemy in levels 13-15.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
The games themselves look great. I personally would argue in the other direction in that I would rather they not be touched too much (added features, tweaks, and touchups often backfire and remove charm, IMO).

That said, the UI that organizes everything is pretty awful and does give the whole thing this cheap and amateurish quality that does sour it a bit for me. That bothers me more than the fact that they're direct emulated ports (which is kind of what I expected and wanted anyways).
Its a video game selection screen. What do you want? A broadway play?

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com

It’s a masterpiece of a 3D platformer that imo hasn’t been topped. So much replay value because of the controls.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Its a video game selection screen. What do you want? A broadway play?
Just baseline pleasantness, charm, and atmosphere would be nice, and is just as important as any other specific non-gameplay component of a game (also something we've come to expect from Nintendo-- the original 2D All Stars game had a cooler opening UI, for example-- hell most modern collections do). It looks like it was haphazardously whipped up in powerpoint or something.

Obviously not a total dealbreaker because the games themselves are the most important thing, but I'd consider it a notable flaw. Moreso than nitpicks about aspect ratios or a lack of bonus features, personally.

Last edited:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Really enjoying screwing around in 64. Going to fire up Sunshine quick to check out the upgraded graphics.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
On non Mario news I think I'll definitelly be picking up Hades. Looks like a great game and both Bastion and Transistor were awesome.

Reactions: Oogie Boogie

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It always controlled amazingly, like every mario game.

The camera is generally pretty smart and only becomes an enemy in levels 13-15.

The Galaxy camera has been the one I am noticing non-modern controls as you can't freely move it either, and the instances where it doesn't allow you to move it at all seem too frequent.

The whole game just feels kind of odd. Just a combo of it being older, very specific with how its levels are built, and motion controls being adapted. I am sure I'll get used to it though, it's just noticeable on a first impression.

I also forgot Sunshine has no long jump or backflip while Galaxy has no dive.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Hades is slightly less great on Switch controllers, but still very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad