Nintendo Switch #4: More than 1 year later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Personally, I've never related to the expensive port criticism and I've always viewed it more as a "what is the value of the experience" thing. Plenty of cutting edge expensive AAA games, I wouldn't be caught dead paying even $10 for, and the games involved in something like this package are worth well over $80 to me, even if it takes no effort for them to port it.

While I agree the value is what's most important, there's a few things I don't like....okay, mostly just the one: Mario 64 should at least be "ported" to 16:9 to fit modern displays. I know that's not a console port thing, but a display port thing. :laugh:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
While I agree the value is what's most important, there's a few things I don't like....okay, mostly just the one: Mario 64 should at least be "ported" to 16:9 to fit modern displays. I know that's not a console port thing, but a display port thing. :laugh:
Maybe. I'm not super quick to jump on stuff like that because I've never really hated black bars or felt that 16:9 aspect ratio is automatically better, because sometimes it depends on what a game is appropriately designed for and how much changing the field of view actually changes the game (both practically and visually). In some cases 4:3 UIs straight up do not fit 16:9 unless you re-do them, and this is not a remaster, it's just a port. I'm not familiar enough with SM64 to know what is and isn't a factor, though.

With videogames I can maybe see your point a little bit more, but with things like movies and TV, changing the aspect ratio from the source is sometimes borderline blasphemy to me (unless very very specific and thorough consideration is made).

I would probably see a better argument for more upscaling options than aspect ratio changes. For some reason 2D ports are often smart enough to make things look as they were intended with CRT filters and scanlines (that were intended by design to cover up their warts), but old 3D games never do (they're just raw and exposed), and they often look disgusting as a result of this, IMO. I wish they looked more like this, personally:

04639976b17f2aef12c852d1c48d561289cee9d0.jpg

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Maybe. I'm not super quick to jump on stuff like that because I've never really hated black bars or felt that 16:9 aspect ratio is automatically better, because sometimes it depends on what a game is appropriately designed for and how much changing the field of view actually changes the game (both practically and visually). In some cases 4:3 UIs straight up do not fit 16:9 unless you re-do them, and this is not a remaster, it's just a port. I'm not familiar enough with SM64 to know what is and isn't a factor, though.

With videogames I can maybe see your point a little bit more, but with things like movies and TV, changing the aspect ratio from the source is sometimes borderline blasphemy to me (unless very very specific and thorough consideration is made).

I would probably see a better argument for more upscaling options than aspect ratio changes. For some reason 2D ports are often smart enough to make things look as they were intended with CRT filters and scanlines (that were intended by design to cover up their warts), but old 3D games never do (they're just raw and exposed), and they often look disgusting as a result of this, IMO. I wish they looked more like this, personally:

04639976b17f2aef12c852d1c48d561289cee9d0.jpg

It's a minor nitpick, really.

Although I do believe the interwebs has succeeded in using PC emulation for 16:9 high frame rate Mario 64, but I have no idea if it works well or not.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It's a minor nitpick, really.

Although I do believe the interwebs has succeeded in using PC emulation for 16:9 high frame rate Mario 64, but I have no idea if it works well or not.

There are PC versions running at 60FPS and 16:9 but I dont know how stable they are.

The animations look weird at 60FPS though as the orginal game was clearly not designed for it.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I was about to say , next year is the 35th anniversary of The Legend of Zelda. My guess is they do another money grab pack of games, and I know I'll buy them regardless of how they look or anything else really.

There are also Skyward sword port rumours so I would not be surprised to see that somewhere in the 35th anniversary.

Yeah, I'm expecting Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword to get HD ports (WW and TP already have HD versions) next year.

Hopefully they fix some stuff in SS. I absolutely hate the Imprisoned fights. Gathering those tear things were also a pain and not enjoyable.

Reactions: robertmac43

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Didnt see this anywhere but Switch is getting Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 Complete Edition on Sept 24th. This is from Frontier (original RCTs & Planet Coaster) and not Atari's HORRIBLE ports/games.

I love these games and cant wait to try it. Hoping it's not a bug filled mess. Hoping to play this before Pikmin 3 Deluxe. I played the 1st two and loved it. Never got to play the 3rd.

Last edited:

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
This is not based on anything at all, but if Skyward Sword would be difficult to port to Switch, could they just kind of follow suit with the Mario games and include Ocarina of Time in a hypothetical three game package?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Cool. Anybody familiar with the game and know if there's anything notable about it besides charming spritework?
It's a fairly standard beat 'em up if you've played River City Ransom, but it has one of the best soundtracks out there and if you've read the comic, it's very faithful to it.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Hmm.. I have mixed feelings about whether I want to give it a shot then.
I'm going to buy it regardless because I've wanted the game on Switch for years, but maybe see how much it costs since there was no price revealed. And maybe give the comic a try if you're interested.

Nice

Jan 26, 2016
Glad I got in that pre order for 3D all stars from Amazon before they sold out. Normally I don't even pre order but I had a feeling they'd have stock issues given that it's a limited time release. Looking forward to playing sunshine for the first time.

Reactions: Kid Icarus

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
It would be impossible as the game is built around the 1 for 1 motion controls. Its not the same as mapping waggle
Nah, they could remap the motion controls to the right analog stick. Maybe have holding L1 activate sword swing.

So for example, position the sword with the right analog stick, then when you're ready to swing hold L1 and move the analog stick

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Wow those are some great additions by Nintendo.

Quick question for Mario fans, which game are you starting with come Friday?

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Probably 64. I still have yet to get all 120 stars despite beating that game probably 4 different times.

I'm actually looking forward to the release. Usually I revisit the old Mario games (specifically SMW and SMB) once and a while but its been ages since I played any of those 3 games.

Its been probably at least 10 years since I played 64, sunshine I probably haven't played since I was in middle school (so like 15 years ago give or take) and Galaxy i haven't played since I was starting high school. Galaxy will come last since its the only one of the three I ever 100 percented (with both Mario and Luigi)

Reactions: robertmac43

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I also think I'll start with 64. That or Sunshine, with Galaxy being last. After that I think I'll go back in to Odyssey and attempt to get some more moons.

Reactions: Prairie Habs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad