Nintendo Switch #4: More than 1 year later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
the reviews are coming in and it's basically all good. just some controller issues (but considering all the games had their own controller issues back in the day it's pick your poison really)

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The infamous "so long, gay bowser" voiceline has apparently been removed for the 64 port.

Its not even the same game anymore smh. :laugh: love how they spent the time to yank a relatively harmless voice clip (considering it didn't actually say gay bowser) but they couldn't be bothered to upscale the game.

#LegalizeGayBowser

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The infamous "so long, gay bowser" voiceline has apparently been removed for the 64 port.

Its not even the same game anymore smh. :laugh: love how they spent the time to yank a relatively harmless voice clip (considering it didn't actually say gay bowser) but they couldn't be bothered to upscale the game.

#LegalizeGayBowser

They didn't. This version is an updated Japanese version which had some bug fixes the American version didn't have.

Since in Japan he is called King Koopa, locally there is no reason for him to be called Bowser.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Great to see DKC2 (only DKC3 left to complete the original trilogy), pleasant surprise to see Mario's Super Picross (never before released in NA).

I think as far as major 1st party releases, all that is missing is Earthbound, DKC3 and Mario RPG (though I wonder if they skip that due to Square having a hand in it)

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I think as far as major 1st party releases, all that is missing is Earthbound, DKC3 and Mario RPG (though I wonder if they skip that due to Square having a hand in it)
Mario Paint would be nice or any of the Super Scope games but those are probably not going to happen.

I still find it weird Earthbound hasn't hit it yet. Maybe they're planning a collection? Hahaha...

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The one i'm most curious to see is Sunshine. 14 year old me enjoyed it quite a bit but a lot of those mechanics were janky even for its time.

I look forward to having to deal with the godforsaken Sand Bird and that ****ing monstrosity of a Pachinko machine level. I still swear on my future grave that the Pachinko machine is the worst level ever put in a mario game

Reactions: robertmac43

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
So the Mario 3D All-Star collection is just emulation? That's disappointing, feels like the definitive version of some of these games is still the ROM hacks.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Is this when more people finally realize that Mario Sunshine was awful? Kinda surprised they didn't want to do anything to it.

64 is interesting at least as a milestone. Galaxy is probably still great. Sunshine... needs help.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Is this when more people finally realize that Mario Sunshine was awful? Kinda surprised they didn't want to do anything to it.

64 is interesting at least as a milestone. Galaxy is probably still great. Sunshine... needs help.

I was 10 when Mario Sunshine came out, so its quality has nothing to do with my opinion of it. I got a gamecube for Christmas that year and it was the first game I played. I would normally be in the camp that says companies are pandering to hard to people's nostalgia, but this is one I can't say no to.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I have decided Ill go in order of when they originally came out. The visual quality will be slightly better as we I go on.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Ori 2 out of no where.

And Sunshine was fantastic. Mario's controls are buttery smooth in that game. A few extra shines are annoying, but by and large its a really fun game.

All three games in the collection are great as is.

Reactions: robertmac43

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Ori 2 out of no where.

And Sunshine was fantastic. Mario's controls are buttery smooth in that game. A few extra shines are annoying, but by and large its a really fun game.

All three games in the collection are great as is.
This

the controls in sunshine are the best controls in a 3D Mario game. Camera is an issue at times but it’s a 3D platformer, that kind of comes with the territory

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
This

the controls in sunshine are the best controls in a 3D Mario game. Camera is an issue at times but it’s a 3D platformer, that kind of comes with the territory

Is it the only game in the bunch where you have full control of the camera?

I think 64 and Galaxy are "clicks" because the 64 and Wii used buttons to move the camera instead of a second analog

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Is it the only game in the bunch where you have full control of the camera?

I think 64 and Galaxy are "clicks" because the 64 and Wii used buttons to move the camera instead of a second analog
Haven’t played Mario 64 on an actual N64 in awhile but I think you’re right. Think the C buttons controlled the camera. Galaxy did the thing where you can line up the camera behind you like Banjo Kazooie

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
What’re are people’s thoughts on the Switch Pro controller? The Joy-cons are fine but it makes BOTW a little difficult at times (I accidentally crouch too much).

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Wait, Hades pulled a "out today"? Neat.

What’re are people’s thoughts on the Switch Pro controller? The Joy-cons are fine but it makes BOTW a little difficult at times (I accidentally crouch too much).

The d-pad, triggers, and sticks are all the worst on the market. But it's somehow still better than the Joycons.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
So they didn’t remaster/update these Mario games at all, just made them playable for the Switch?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Wait, Hades pulled a "out today"? Neat.

The d-pad, triggers, and sticks are all the worst on the market. But it's somehow still better than the Joycons.

That’s a bummer. I also saw the Pro doesn’t have a headphone jack which kinda sucks. I was hoping to put my Audio Technica’s on and get the game-audio through there like I can with Xbox.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
That’s a bummer. I also saw the Pro doesn’t have a headphone jack which kinda sucks. I was hoping to put my Audio Technica’s on and get the game-audio through there like I can with Xbox.

Yea no headphone jack is weird. If you're playing docked I think headphones are limited to Bluetooth. I know my PS4 headset works, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad