Nintendo Switch #4: More than 1 year later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I haven't played it, but it looks like the kind of thing that's so hectic that Mario skill seems like it wouldn't even necessarily translate (because the challenge/fun of the game has never really been about how many enemies on screen-- unlike Tetris, which fits like a glove). Is that the case?

No it definitely challenges your Mario skills as the extra enemies can make the platforming way harder.

Challenges your memory of secrets too as the extra coins or knowing where a star is can be a life saver.

I don't totally get all the mechanics though. Especially level progression as you jump back and forth a lot and even the warp zones are random.

The fire flower is a must. You are in a bad spot without one

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
No it definitely challenges your Mario skills as the extra enemies can make the platforming way harder.

Challenges your memory of secrets too as the extra coins or knowing where a star is can be a life saver.

I don't totally get all the mechanics though. Especially level progression as you jump back and forth a lot and even the warp zones are random.

The levels are just random. I've gotten consecutive castle levels a few times.

But hey, first try.

EjS-eZBU8AAVFkf

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The gameplan seems to be:

Grab the 1up and star in 1-1 to give yourself time and coins -> plow through 1-2 with the star -> use warp zone to go back to 1-1 or 1-2 -> repeat -> 2-2 to farm enemy kills.

How the warp zone works is detailed in this reddit post but I cant imagine this works forever since In theory people are going to start picking new levels

I got a whole heap of 2nd and 3rd place finishes but no win yet. I had one within my grasp but I botched by dying a second faster than the other guy. Feelsbadman.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I have gotten instances where the warp pipe only gives 1-1 and 1-2 despite me picking 3-1 for instance.

Hammer bros make life so much more difficult. They get thrown into a castle level and it's basically impossible to avoid a hit without the fire flower.

I suspect Lakatus will add new wrinkles when 4-1 starts showing up.

But yeah that has been my basic loop. I skip the bonus pipe in 1-1 and always hit the star, get the star in 1-2 as well and get the piranha plants to piss people off then jump to 2-2 if available to drown people in fish and bloopers.

There doesn't seem to be any good reason to jump into a castle level unless forced. You either end up there early and you have no enemies to farm time, or the enemies make the tricky platforming a real nightmare.

Sending someone Bowser isn't worth the trouble.

I am not a pro Mario player by any stretch but I am pretty consistently getting top 5. It seems a lot of people are not at all used to Mario's physics in this game (or even realize Mario can run)

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Unlocked 3-4 finally by beating 3-3 in a match.

That match got really hectic as the levels get trickier but you are still being bombarded by like 3 Bowsers, plants at the worst spots, and hammer bros.

When everyone finally unlocks world 5 and bullet bills show up, shit is going to get really crazy.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Unlocked 3-4 finally by beating 3-3 in a match.

That match got really hectic as the levels get trickier but you are still being bombarded by like 3 Bowsers, plants at the worst spots, and hammer bros.

When everyone finally unlocks world 5 and bullet bills show up, shit is going to get really crazy.
My opponent got to world 4 and there were just... lakitus and spinies everywhere.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Let me guess: you can throw multiple lakitus at your opponents?

Thats an outright death sentence depending on the level since lakitus aren't super easy to kill

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Let me guess: you can throw multiple lakitus at your opponents?

Thats an outright death sentence depending on the level since lakitus aren't super easy to kill
You can if you kill multiple, yes. Each enemy you kill is sent to someone else, but that enemy can also be returned.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Just bought and downloaded Hades. I wanted to wait for a sale but everyone’s been raving about it and I’m an idiot.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

I will probably never hear this track in game but damn this game's soundtrack slaps.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Real hectic game today as more levels from worlds 4 and 5 were featured.

I ended up in castle 3-4 with bullet bills zipping around and two Bowsers and time speeding down. Couldn't get the starman roll i really needed.

Also had a game with 4 Lakatus raining spiny death on him. They spawn at different heights and just ruin your jump paths.

This is getting harder and in turn more fun as the 1-1 and 1-2 loops get shorter and shorter.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Honestly if Nintendo was smart, they would realize this is popular, still take it down in April but use the downtime to build a version you can sell to people.

A super mario 35 with SMW or SMB3 would be even better given the wider variety in course design and enemies. This is is a very good starting point

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Decided to cave and get Hades. I play handheld and am fairly iffy on rogue likes.

Played a few hours and LOVE IT. The unique dialogue is incredible.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC

Good to know.

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
Honestly if Nintendo was smart, they would realize this is popular, still take it down in April but use the downtime to build a version you can sell to people.

A super mario 35 with SMW or SMB3 would be even better given the wider variety in course design and enemies. This is is a very good starting point

This may well be exactly what Nintendo is doing:

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Hades is really addictive

I'm not a big rogue like guy. Some of the "main" ones people love I couldnt get into.

I love this one. They almost make each runthrough unique. From the dialogue, to the story, they make you dieing and restarting part of the story.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Has anyone played Torchlight 2 on Switch, and is it worth it but on sale?

Also anyone have information or thoughts on Infernium ?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I wonder how this would work though? Besides the Lost Levels, most Marios are their own separate thing. SMB3's levels are specifically designed for its physics, and obviously flying would be a huge advantage.

Yeah I don't think flying powerups would make for fun game play in something like this.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I can't for the life of me get past the area 3 boss in Hades.

Simply not creating near enough damage.

I am also awful with the sword. Haven't been able to even clear area 2 with it. All my runs that ended at the end of area 3 were with the shield or the fists.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I can't for the life of me get past the area 3 boss in Hades.

Simply not creating near enough damage.

I am also awful with the sword. Haven't been able to even clear area 2 with it. All my runs that ended at the end of area 3 were with the shield or the fists.

Mobility seems to be a key with those guys, in my experience.

I usually have more success picking up extra dashes from Hermes, and having a dash boon that does damage as well as something that inflicts Doom from Ares works well on them.

Strike quickly and inflict doom, and then get moving before you catch and axe or spear to the face....particularly when they start calling down favour from the gods.

I've had the most luck with the bow and spear so far, but I have yet to beat the final boss....so take what I say with a grain of salt haha.

I almost had the last boss last night, but I choked at the last second....and I had such a good build too.

Reactions: sa cyred

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Hades has been fun so far. As soon as I started playing it I said, "wow this feels a lot like Pyre" and sure enough discovered they were both made by the same developer. I finally beat Megara after about 10 runs and on the same run got all the way to Bone Hyrdra and got wiped out. I had a great loadout too with max health and tons of damage boosts to regular and dash attack.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Mobility seems to be a key with those guys, in my experience.

I usually have more success picking up extra dashes from Hermes, and having a dash boon that does damage as well as something that inflicts Doom from Ares works well on them.

Strike quickly and inflict doom, and then get moving before you catch and axe or spear to the face....particularly when they start calling down favour from the gods.

I've had the most luck with the bow and spear so far, but I have yet to beat the final boss....so take what I say with a grain of salt haha.

I almost had the last boss last night, but I choked at the last second....and I had such a good build too.

I actually beat them with the gun weapon and the Posidien dash, which is really really good.

The bottom mirror upgrades make a huge difference in adding some damage bonuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad