Nintendo Switch #4: More than 1 year later

Status
Not open for further replies.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Shout out to Hades for actually getting me to use my Switch for the first time since Fire Emblem.

Reactions: robertmac43

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Mario controls nicely but the camera is still as horrible as it was in 1996 lol.

Trying to get 100 coins in Lethal Lava Land was a test of my sanity since the camera fights you with all of its being to make sure you can't see shit ahead of you while you're shell surfing. the 6th star (Pyramid Puzzle) in shifting sand lands is also an exercise in futility since you basically have to make three consecutive blind jumps in order to uncover the "secret" spots since the camera refuses to show you where you need to land.

Outside of that it's still a solid game and it really gives you an appreciation for how far the 3D side of Mario has come going from basic 64 all the way to Odyssey, which is a masterclass in movement/physics based gameplay.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
50 stars. Just flying through the game.

71. Shifting Sands Land so far the most annoying level, but it wasn't anything too difficult.

Last edited:

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
I have seen nothing but really high praise for Hades. It's $5 off until tomorrow as well so I think I'll go ahead and snag it.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
80 stars for me. Flew through snowman's land before going to bed and got all 7 stars.

Most annoying stars so far:

Shifting Sand Land: Pyramid Puzzle - because i too love making blind jumps in hopes of landing on a tiny platform

Hazy Maze Cave's 100 coin star - not difficult really, just incredibly tedious. Also you absolutely need the blue coins to get it because you do not want it to come down to having to shimmy across the grate for the last couple coins.

Dire Dire Docks 100 coin star: barely enough coins to get it and you need to put yourself at the mercy of that whirlpool in the middle of the underwater part.

Lethal Lava Land 100 coin star: the camera is trying to kill you: the level

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
EiouplmVgAAz2so
EiouplpVgAA4GpC

Well, that's one down. :thumbu:

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
So for the guys playing the Mario 3D's, how did they translate the Wii motion controls for Galaxy? Is anyone using a Pro controller? Somehow I missed 64 and Sunshine, I took a Mario hiatus after the first 3 on the NES until Galaxy. I am contemplating picking it up as I have $500 bucks that was earmarked for a Series X that I was unable to get, but I also just bought PGA 2k21 and Ghost of Tsushima so a third game in two weeks might be tough to slip past the wife, on the other hand nintendo first party games almost never get a discount so waiting a few months will not likely save me any $$

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
So for the guys playing the Mario 3D's, how did they translate the Wii motion controls for Galaxy? Is anyone using a Pro controller? Somehow I missed 64 and Sunshine, I took a Mario hiatus after the first 3 on the NES until Galaxy. I am contemplating picking it up as I have $500 bucks that was earmarked for a Series X that I was unable to get, but I also just bought PGA 2k21 and Ghost of Tsushima so a third game in two weeks might be tough to slip past the wife, on the other hand nintendo first party games almost never get a discount so waiting a few months will not likely save me any $$
Plus the game is a limited release one, so if you want it, I would get it sooner than later!

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com

I use an 8BitDo SN30 Pro+, and in the menus, you use the accelerometer to control the pointer, whereas in the levels, it feels like a regular game.

The games are fine, I've never played anything other than SM64, and just wanted the package for Sunshine and Galaxy.

If you want a physical copy, I doubt it lasts long on the shelves, that pesky planned limited release.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It's a limited release that stops being available in less than half a year, so that's another reason to think it'll never go on sale as well.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
26 year old me finishes the job 7 year old me couldnt.

Game still hold up and im so glad I got to play it again. Except Tick Tock Clock. That level is still ass

Attachments

• 20200926_145518.jpg
    20200926_145518.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Is there something a bit off with the Sunshine port? Mario slides around like a MFer and i can't tell if it's just me not being used to it having not played for well over 10 years or if they screwed something up.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I can recommend the RCT3 for switch. I think they did a very good job with the port. I've been playing through the missions (which are crazy easy but hey lol). Works really well in handheld. Just a reminder that it ISNT Planet Coaster (same devlopers but one game is alot older). I definitely suggest if you want a portable theme park builder with some financial management involved that this is a good one. you get all expansions also.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Picked up Hades the other day. Only played for an hour or two, but I'm not as blown away as I thought I would be (Bastion is one of my favourite indie games). I'm guessing it's a game that has a lot more depth under the surface that I haven't noticed yet, though, but I'm starting to realize I'm not a huge roguelike fan (only really enjoyed Slay the Spire and Dead Cells).

Also picked up Mario 3D Allstars. Was able to find someone on Craigslist that wanted Splatoon 2 for it, and found Splatoon 2 for $45 so basically got the game 50% off. I've only ever played a few hours of Mario 64 and Galaxy before picking this game up, so all of the games are pretty new to me. I started Mario 64 and, while it has aged better than I anticipated, I was surprised by how Mario slips all over the place (feels like he's always running on ice...but my last Mario experience was Odyssey so maybe I'm biased) and how difficult the camera can be at times.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Picked up Hades the other day. Only played for an hour or two, but I'm not as blown away as I thought I would be (Bastion is one of my favourite indie games). I'm guessing it's a game that has a lot more depth under the surface that I haven't noticed yet, though, but I'm starting to realize I'm not a huge roguelike fan (only really enjoyed Slay the Spire and Dead Cells).

Also picked up Mario 3D Allstars. Was able to find someone on Craigslist that wanted Splatoon 2 for it, and found Splatoon 2 for $45 so basically got the game 50% off. I've only ever played a few hours of Mario 64 and Galaxy before picking this game up, so all of the games are pretty new to me. I started Mario 64 and, while it has aged better than I anticipated, I was surprised by how Mario slips all over the place (feels like he's always running on ice...but my last Mario experience was Odyssey so maybe I'm biased) and how difficult the camera can be at times.
I noticed the same problem with Mario.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Heads up for anyone looking for controllers. The WalMart near me has clearanced out their powerA controllers. I picked up two enhanced wireless controllers for $25 a piece. This sale isn't reflected on their website, but it's not the first time I've had this experience with Walmart (website says one thing, brick&mortar store says something else).

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
So Super Mario Bros 35 is actually pretty great. Its basically "what if we took the tetris 99 system but threw it on a mario game?"

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
So Super Mario Bros 35 is actually pretty great. Its basically "what if we took the tetris 99 system but threw it on a mario game?"
I haven't played it, but it looks like the kind of thing that's so hectic that Mario skill seems like it wouldn't even necessarily translate (because the challenge/fun of the game has never really been about how many enemies on screen-- unlike Tetris, which fits like a glove). Is that the case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad