Confirmed with Link: Nino Niederreiter (MIN) Traded for Victor Rask (CAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Sebastian Aho is an extremely good hockey player who bolstered Victor Rask's value to the absurd point where he was traded 1-for-1 for Nino Niederreiter. And even though he's making Nino look good again in Carolina, I bet he could make Rask look good again here!

Nino could be the case of losing faith to the team and now playing hard to earn his spot in the new team. Imo this team peaked 2-3 years back and is past it's twilight, and Aho isn't enough to lift this team up. It's time to start planning and building the team 5 years to the future.

I'm not a Minnesotan or a die hard Wild fan either, but after closely watching 10 years of Wild hockey I'm allowed to make some conclusions.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Nino could be the case of losing faith to the team and now playing hard to earn his spot in the new team. Imo this team peaked 2-3 years back and is past it's twilight, and Aho isn't enough to lift this team up. It's time to start planning and building the team 5 years to the future.

I'm not a Minnesotan or a die hard Wild fan either, but after closely watching 10 years of Wild hockey I'm allowed to make some conclusions.

I absolutely believe that Nino was over this team. Whether it was the criticism by media/fans, weather, travel, linemates, etc. I think he was ready for greener pastures.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
And I already am starting to want Fenton fired now lol

He is damn close to a ppg player since the trade... Rask is like .2 in the games he was healthy for
I'm just wondering if Fenton drank the boilermaker when he executed this deal. For the people who don't know the boilermaker is a drink where beer is mixed with scotch. If the Bruins knew Donny I'm sure would have offered more like maybe danton Heinen and grezlyk. Something like that . There is no way nino was shopped around.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'm just wondering if Fenton drank the boilermaker when he executed this deal. For the people who don't know the boilermaker is a drink where beer is mixed with scotch. If the Bruins knew Donny I'm sure would have offered more like maybe danton Heinen and grezlyk. Something like that . There is no way nino was shopped around.
Why are you sure of that?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It was reported by Russo that Nino had been shopped around since this summer. He was just on the radio confirming that.

The only possible silver lining to the Nino trade is that when other teams see how he has flourished away from our mess, they might think other players like Zucker, Coyle and Staal are capable of doing the same. Sadly, I think they are right, especially in Staal's case.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
It was reported by Russo that Nino had been shopped around since this summer. He was just on the radio confirming that.

The only possible silver lining to the Nino trade is that when other teams see how he has flourished away from our mess, they might think other players like Zucker, Coyle and Staal are capable of doing the same. Sadly, I think they are right, especially in Staal's case.
Russo wouldn't have the slightest clue as to any of that

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
As to whether Fenton had been talking to other teams about Nino? I think he could very well have a clue about that much, just not from the Wild end.
You don't need a source to know that every player in the league is available for the right price. Pretending like trading Nino was the only think on Fenton's agenda for the past 4 months, or that anyone could even begin to guess what the asking price is/was, is ridiculously ignorant. I guarantee that Spurgeon beame available the second that Fenton was hired. Does the fact that Spurgeon is still here prove that he has zero value?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Suddenly because Fenton keeps things close to the chest Russo has no idea what’s going on in any way? I don’t think so.
List all of the rumoured deals involving Nino then? List any rumour that Russo has put out there that has an actual source?

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
List all of the rumoured deals involving Nino then? List any rumour that Russo has put out there that has an actual source?
Russo’s sources that Fenton had been shopping nino around are other league GM’s. It’s not a far-fetched idea to think that a guy brought in to make changes to the core, was shopping the core.

Off the Top of my head: the Dvorak + Domi for Zucker + Nino is the only trade I can think of. I’m not sure of the source but to think that’s just completely made up is to probably be too much skeptic.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Russo’s sources that Fenton had been shopping nino around are other league GM’s. It’s not a far-fetched idea to think that a guy brought in to make changes to the core, was shopping the core.

Off the Top of my head: the Dvorak + Domi for Zucker + Nino is the only trade I can think of. I’m not sure of the source but to think that’s just completely made up is to probably be too much skeptic.
So, you don't have a list then? How can you possibly speak to Nino's value without knowing what was offered/turned down? Even the Domi deal is nothing more than Russo speculation.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
You don't need a source to know that every player in the league is available for the right price. Pretending like trading Nino was the only think on Fenton's agenda for the past 4 months, or that anyone could even begin to guess what the asking price is/was, is ridiculously ignorant. I guarantee that Spurgeon beame available the second that Fenton was hired. Does the fact that Spurgeon is still here prove that he has zero value?
If it's a semantic argument over what "shopping" means then I agree. We don't know how hard he was trying to move him or what he was asking for or who he talked to or what; all we know for sure is the deal that was made. I also doubt that Fenton's list of "safe" players is all that long; probably just the NMC guys.

But it's sort of beside the point. If everyone's available and he's been discussing everything with everyone, we're still left with three facts:

1.) Nino (along with everyone else) was available the second Fenton took over
2.) Every team in the league had months to make whatever offers they wanted to for Nino
3.) Fenton eventually accepted Rask as the return

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
So, you don't have a list then? How can you possibly speak to Nino's value without knowing what was offered/turned down? Even the Domi deal is nothing more than Russo speculation.
I said nothing of nino’s value. 57 just said that it was reported by russo that Nino has been shopped around all summer. To which you said Russo would have no idea, to which I disagreed. I guess Russo saying other gms have been telling him that Fenton is shopping Nino isn’t a reliable source because we didn’t get the exact gms name and Russo is a liar.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
If it's a semantic argument over what "shopping" means then I agree. We don't know how hard he was trying to move him or what he was asking for or who he talked to or what; all we know for sure is the deal that was made. I also doubt that Fenton's list of "safe" players is all that long; probably just the NMC guys.

But it's sort of beside the point. If everyone's available and he's been discussing everything with everyone, we're still left with three facts:

1.) Nino (along with everyone else) was available the second Fenton took over
2.) Every team in the league had months to make whatever offers they wanted to for Nino
3.) Fenton eventually accepted Rask as the return
Exactly. My only point is that #3 doesn't prove anything other than #3. We (including Russo)have no idea what else was offered. we (including Russo) have no idea on how much Fenton values Rask.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I said nothing of nino’s value. 57 just said that it was reported by russo that Nino has been shopped around all summer. To which you said Russo would have no idea, to which I disagreed. I guess Russo saying other gms have been telling him that Fenton is shopping Nino isn’t a reliable source because we didn’t get the exact gms name and Russo is a liar.
Do you have quotes from these "other GM's"? What was said? What was offered for Nino?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Exactly. My only point is that #3 doesn't prove anything other than #3. We (including Russo)have no idea what else was offered. we (including Russo) have no idea on how much Fenton values Rask.
I do agree that it doesn't say much about Nino's "value," though I think fans get too fixated on that idea. If you look at trades that actually get made it doesn't seem to be a big driver in how GMs operate. I blame fantasy hockey.

Reactions: 2Pair

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I do agree that it doesn't say much about Nino's "value," though I think fans get too fixated on that idea. If you look at trades that actually get made it doesn't seem to be a big driver in how GMs operate. I blame fantasy hockey.
I guess the only point I'm really trying to make is that nobody but Fenton knows what Nino's value was/is. And the posters here that are constantly quoting Russo(who is saying nothing of substance) as proof, are driving me crazy.

Put it this way. If the Rask that Fenton actually got, is the same Rask as Fenton was expecting? Then it doesn't matter if that was the best possible offer Fenton could get for Nino, because making that trade is still moronic.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I guess the only point I'm really trying to make is that nobody but Fenton knows what Nino's value was/is. And the posters here that are constantly quoting Russo(who is saying nothing of substance) as proof, are driving me crazy.

Put it this way. If the Rask that Fenton actually got, is the same Rask as Fenton was expecting? Then it doesn't matter if that was the best possible offer Fenton could get for Nino, because making that trade is still moronic.
100% agreed. I think we're all just getting itchy for something that'll wash the taste out of our mouths.

Reactions: 2Pair

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
It's not really relevant what Nino's value was and what offers Fenton was getting.

What matters is that Fenton traded Nino, a good player who looked like he needed a change of scenery/team composition, one-for-one for a vastly inferior player on an absolutely brutal contract.

And that means it was a horrific and moronic trade.

Reactions: space321 and 2Pair

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
It's not really relevant what Nino's value was and what offers Fenton was getting.

What matters is that Fenton traded Nino, a good player who looked like he needed a change of scenery/team composition, one-for-one for a vastly inferior player on an absolutely brutal contract.

And that means it was a horrific and moronic trade.

This coming from someone who thinks it would have been better to just waive Nino and lose him for nothing...
Yet I'd bet if he had done that... You'd be screaming about that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad