Confirmed with Link: Nino Niederreiter (MIN) Traded for Victor Rask (CAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
He did get 21 in 2015-16, and I'd assume that him hitting those sorts of numbers again was part of Fenton's thinking here. Still, from watching him so far it's really hard to see him hitting 20 again, regardless of where he plays.

We're not getting anywhere until we trade for Sebastian Aho.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Are the rest of the players banking goals off of him? Parise is pretty good at the bank shot, but that's asking a lot from ZP.

a goals a goal am i right? idk i havent watched the last couple games. i just think in the 2C spot he will pot in around 20 goals and 40 points. below that who knows, i have no idea what our lineup is gonna look like.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
My sarcasm detector is probably failing me, but I don't follow.

Sebastian Aho is an extremely good hockey player who bolstered Victor Rask's value to the absurd point where he was traded 1-for-1 for Nino Niederreiter. And even though he's making Nino look good again in Carolina, I bet he could make Rask look good again here!

Wabit

May 23, 2016
He did get 21 in 2015-16, and I'd assume that him hitting those sorts of numbers again was part of Fenton's thinking here. Still, from watching him so far it's really hard to see him hitting 20 again, regardless of where he plays.

I don't disagree with what he did in the past. I just haven't seen it in his game so far. I do think the summer will help some, but I'm not sure how much.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Sebastian Aho is an extremely good hockey player who bolstered Victor Rask's value to the absurd point where he was traded 1-for-1 for Nino Niederreiter. And even though he's making Nino look good again in Carolina, I bet he could make Rask look good again here!
While I very much agree with that, I'm going to lean hard on my Devil's Advocate Pitchfork and point out that Aho wasn't in the league in 2015-16.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Rask is about as invisible as it gets. Once in while he pops up on the radar with a giveaway, or even something good, but in general he's a guy you just don't notice out there. Now Pominville was like that, too, but the difference was that you'd check the score sheet after a game and Poms would have a goal, or an assist, or both. Rask? Nada.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Rask is about as invisible as it gets. Once in while he pops up on the radar with a giveaway, or even something good, but in general he's a guy you just don't notice out there. Now Pominville was like that, too, but the difference was that you'd check the score sheet after a game and Poms would have a goal, or an assist, or both. Rask? Nada.
The worst part is that if you watched Pominville you'd see him doing a lot of savvy stuff, even if it didn't all translate to the boxscore. If you go out of your way to watch Rask he'll just make you angry.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Rask wasn't really ever on a line with Aho in Car. 129 mins in 16-17, less than 100 mins in 17-18, and nothing this year.

Rask's best season (21g/27a) was 15-16, so unless Aho was somehow getting him points from Finland, yea it doesn't work.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I agree, I'm just trying to stop my pessimism from snowballing too much.

There are so many other things with the Wild (or MN sports as a whole) to be pessimistic about. Why get caught up on just this one thing? :skeptic::laugh::popcorn:

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
There are so many other things with the Wild (or MN sports as a whole) to be pessimistic about. Why get caught up on just this one thing? :skeptic::laugh::popcorn:
Mostly because it's the most recent. As soon as another trade is made that'll be the all-consuming thing.

I don't follow any other pro sports and I suspect that growing up in Minnesota is a big reason for that.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Mostly because it's the most recent. As soon as another trade is made that'll be the all-consuming thing.

I don't follow any other pro sports and I suspect that growing up in Minnesota is a big reason for that.
After this trade, I'm terrified of the next one.

Reactions: BagHead

Wabit

May 23, 2016

I'm not sweating it. If it's a lost trade it's a lost trade. At the end of the day it's just ends up as Clutterbuck for Rask trade. Getting those quality years for Nino was just icing on the cake.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Rask wasn't really ever on a line with Aho in Car. 129 mins in 16-17, less than 100 mins in 17-18, and nothing this year.

Rask's best season (21g/27a) was 15-16, so unless Aho was somehow getting him points from Finland, yea it doesn't work.

Skinner is no slouch either. Whole point is Rask is not a driver, which Nino appeared to be.

But it is time to move on, hope he can be a 3rd center with some upside.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012

o_O

Rask never played with Aho. Aho played mostly with Staal before moving to center. Rask played almost exclusively with Skinner.

I wouldn't give up on him just yet but it's baffling how far Rask fell off. I had thought that maybe a change of scenery would help him but from reading here it appears that's not the case. I was a big fan of his when he came up with the Canes. He had an almost power forward quality to his game and did a lot of little things right. I thought he would be our #2 center for the next decade. It's really hard to understand what happened to him.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
He's the reverse of what a power forward is.

I was trying to describe what he was like a couple years ago when he was on his game. Not that he was ever out there crashing and banging or beating dudes up, but he would take a direct path to the net and didn't mind running through people to get where he needed to be. It mostly made up for his lack of speed. Whatever had been going on with him for the last year or so, it's like watching a totally different guy and it makes me sad.

BlackBusa24

Dec 13, 2018
And I already am starting to want Fenton fired now lol

He is damn close to a ppg player since the trade... Rask is like .2 in the games he was healthy for

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad