Confirmed with Link: Nino Niederreiter (MIN) Traded for Victor Rask (CAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
I still think rask will find his game and will put points on the boards. He's still quite young and in the past has some scoring ability.

To me, the issue with Rask is depression.
That is why he always seems to be detached, absent.
And this trade and situation will not help. Every goal Nino scores, he probably wants to hide more.

Have him see a professional, and in 3 months you have a return on the 4 mio.

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
Nino could be the case of losing faith to the team and now playing hard to earn his spot in the new team. Imo this team peaked 2-3 years back and is past it's twilight, and Aho isn't enough to lift this team up. It's time to start planning and building the team 5 years to the future.

I'm not a Minnesotan or a die hard Wild fan either, but after closely watching 10 years of Wild hockey I'm allowed to make some conclusions.
I'm a Minnesotan and a Wild supporter and agree the Wild peaked already. If Fenton was all that that the rebuilding process would have started at the beginning of the season. Owner thought it needed only tweaks. Had to see the losses pile up first I suppose?
As I said before, the minute Doobs cools, there is little chance for wins with that defence core and no shooters.
The funniest post was " do you want the Wild to make the playoffs" -as if they have a choice.

Reactions: DumbaTrain

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
This coming from someone who thinks it would have been better to just waive Nino and lose him for nothing...
Yet I'd bet if he had done that... You'd be screaming about that too.
Look, I don't know how old you are and what kind of capacity you have to think these things, but I've explained this to you umpteenth times already and am at point where I don't expect you to ever understand it.

Losing something for nothing is better than losing something for an expensive turd.

Imagine if you lost your phone. That would suck, right? Now imagine, instead of losing your phone like that for nothing, someone would scoop up a toilet and put a turd in your pocket in place of that phone. Would that make you feel better? Would you go "well at least I got something in exchange so that's good"? Or would would you go "you know, this fills my pocket, smells and ruins my pants, I'd prefer if I had just lost the phone for nothing"?

Yeah, I probably would be 'screaming' if Nino was lost on waivers. Because I believe he's a good player who could've been traded for something useful/would've been useful for the Wild going forward. But losing him on waivers would've still been better than what actually transpired, because 4M of cap space >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Rask.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I'm desperately trying to make you understand that, in the NHL, having cap space (pocket space, clean pants) is more valuable than having terrible contracts (turds) fill up the cap. For that it's a good analogy.

Losing Parise on waivers 'for nothing' would also be rough, but it would still be PREFERABLE if the other option is to trade him for Lucic. 6M cap space >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> AHL goon.

This really shouldn't be that hard.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
And IMO... Your characterization of Rask is wrong but as I've said you are allowed to have it.
Also... If we had just dumped Nino you know nothing about a Rask trade and therefore are likely screaming about losing him for nothing.
The hate on this trade isn't because of Rask. .. It's because Nino is on a hot streak. If Nino had continued his lack of scoring... No one cares.

Reactions: TaLoN and Wild11MN

P10p

May 15, 2012
You're implying the gap between nino and rask at the time of the trade was equal to a phone from a turd? Quite the jump to make....

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
You're implying the gap between nino and rask at the time of the trade was equal to a phone from a turd? Quite the jump to make....
Are you sure about that? The Rask that I have seen is not much of an NHL player. Hopefully he figures it out, but I'm not very confident that he will.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
And IMO... Your characterization of Rask is wrong but as I've said you are allowed to have it.
Also... If we had just dumped Nino you know nothing about a Rask trade and therefore are likely screaming about losing him for nothing.
The hate on this trade isn't because of Rask. .. It's because Nino is on a hot streak. If Nino had continued his lack of scoring... No one cares.
If Nino was dumped "for nothing" I would have not agreed with it for reasons I already told you (I strongly believe he was better/more valuable than that). But at least they could've went after Stone next summer with all that cap space so I would've kept an open mind and see what happens. Again, it would've been preferable over what actually happened.

You are totally wrong about the hate on Rask. Has nothing to do with hot streaks. Nino even during his lowest lows was clearly the more effective player on the ice than Rask. You can disagree with this, but then you are wrong. Justin Kloos would be a better player than Rask has been this season.

Well you can't take it that literally. And of course I didn't mean losing like a brand new Galaxy S10 phone (which would be McDavid) but something like well-used S4, which is a bit closer to a turd.

Point being Nino belongs in the pocket, Rask belongs in the toilet.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I still think rask will find his game and will put points on the boards. He's still quite young and in the past has some scoring ability.
I hope your right. However, I think the opposite. I think he is eventually going to turn into the next ennis. The game has just gotten too fast for players like rask to be successful. The speed of the game is faster even from last year. I attribute that to why staal has had some struggles.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
This coming from someone who thinks it would have been better to just waive Nino and lose him for nothing...
Yet I'd bet if he had done that... You'd be screaming about that too.
To be honest I would rather not have rask’s cap hit. I get that it feels like getting nothing for nino would be worse than getting rask, but it’s not. Rask’s cap hit is negative value. Having his space available is far more valuable than having a liability out there who paces for 20 points.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
To be honest I would rather not have rask’s cap hit. I get that it feels like getting nothing for nino would be worse than getting rask, but it’s not. Rask’s cap hit is negative value. Having his space available is far more valuable than having a liability out there who paces for 20 points.

Just for the sake of argument...let's say that space is better.
Most fans I've seen who hate this trade also hate anything Fenton has done.... Likely meaning they don't trust the guy to do anything good... So how valuable is that space when the fans will likely complain about who he signs anyway?

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Just for the sake of argument...let's say that space is better.
Most fans I've seen who hate this trade also hate anything Fenton has done.... Likely meaning they don't trust the guy to do anything good... So how valuable is that space when the fans will likely complain about who he signs anyway?
I’m optimistic about Fenton’s ability. Being a GM is hard. He’s made 1 bad trade. I believe he was in a tough position with nino because he was certain of making a “hockey trade”. Fenton can learn from this trade. I’d rather have him make these mistakes now than when we’re putting the final peices onto a winning team. Think of it this way, if you could buy rask out and not have to take on any of his salary would you? I think a lot of fans would, and that’s essentially trading Nino for nothing.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Voicing that opinion...Maybe a little less...
Great counter argument. Is that how you do it in kindergartner? Have nothing worthwhile to say anymore so pick on a name or appearance and throw a slant at them? It doesn't really convince/work with adults.

Florida dumped Bjugstad along with a somewhat promising young-ish player McCann for 3 draft picks (I think it was 2nd and two 4ths) to make room in the cap for next summer (Panarin). I really don't see a world where Bjugstad has more value than Nino so had Fenton done the same type of move with Nino to go after Stone next summer, I wouldn't have immediately bashed the trade even if the return was seemingly very little (aside from gaining a lot of cap space that is).

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
I’m optimistic about Fenton’s ability. Being a GM is hard. He’s made 1 bad trade. I believe he was in a tough position with nino because he was certain of making a “hockey trade”. Fenton can learn from this trade. I’d rather have him make these mistakes now than when we’re putting the final peices onto a winning team. Think of it this way, if you could buy rask out and not have to take on any of his salary would you? I think a lot of fans would, and that’s essentially trading Nino for nothing.
Right now no... Because I don't know what Rask is here yet... 10 games says nothing.
Foligno sucked here last year... Now he's actually a decent player for us. Not every player adjusts well to a new team right away. Look at Staal with the Rangers as a key example.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Right now no... Because I don't know what Rask is here yet... 10 games says nothing.
Foligno sucked here last year... Now he's actually a decent player for us. Not every player adjusts well to a new team right away. Look at Staal with the Rangers as a key example.
That’s fair. If one believes Rask can still be a good player for us then keep him. I don’t know that I believe as much.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
LOOK. Rask doesn't look good. I don't think he can flourish as a center in the current NHL.

I DO think he could play well at wing. I actually like his IQ and shot for the most part. He has good instincts. But he can't handle the skating to play C.

It's too bad because no matter how you put it, Nino is flourishing, and I'm happy about it, and Rask is injured and has not played well. It was a terrible trade, Nino should not have been traded for Rask. It is a mistake.

It's in the PAST though. I am more concerned now with what Fenton will do in the future. Every GM has made one bad move, two bad moves. Fenton is a new GM. He doesn't seem to be an idiot. I do hold out hope that he learns his hat on the fly.

Fletcher made what, three or four really bad moves? And some really bad picks? And the Wild still made the PO's for x straight years.

Fletcher simply put his money on the 2010-2012 drafts, his trades and FA signings, and then let the gamble play out.

It didn't pan out as he wanted. It panned out better than some teams, but it didn't get a SC.

Coyle didn't pan out to be the 30g 30a guy. Zucker is inconsistent. Granlund is small and cerebral. Brodin is an awesome defenseman and great skater, but what looks like Lidstrom lite isn't. He simply doesn't have offensive tendencies. Dumba is the ONLY true homerun that Fletcher got besides Granlund, though I believe Fletcher thought Granlund would pan out to be a little 'more'.

Dumba is a gem on defense. Koivu is old. Suter and Parise were huge pieces but his SC hopes were with them as somewhat of the main final pieces, but the kids didn't pan out to reach what their ceilings were.

Now, it's Fenton's turn to play his hand, create his map, cast his votes, etc. He'll make another bad decision, but hopefully all further possible Rasks are benign.

I think Rask can play 3-4th line minutes. I wish he could play more. He needs an offseason skating coach, 6 hours a day.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

P10p

May 15, 2012
Are you sure about that? The Rask that I have seen is not much of an NHL player. Hopefully he figures it out, but I'm not very confident that he will.

Totally agree he has been hot garbage thus far. I'm giving him until next season hoping he can find his game. Looked more even at the time of the trade and could look better in the future. I hope! :help:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I gave the trade time, it has turned into a bad move for sure. Nino though, was not going to turn it around like he has here, so I understand the attempt. Oh well....

My only hope left for Rask, is that the huge chunk of time lost to start the season is a larger source of his problems on the ice than any of us understand.

We've seen it time and time again with players that get injured at the start of the season or hold out in contact disputes that last 2 months or more... often times those seasons end up lost for said player because by the time they get onto the ice, everyone else in the league is in mid season form, and these guys are just trying to shake the cobwebs off their game and just never seem to get going.

I'm not saying that is what's happening with him, just that it's my last hope that maybe.... just maybe, next season after a full offseason of training and full camp, could be different?

Pretty please?

space321

May 11, 2011
Nino was on pace for 40 points from the 3rd/4th line before the trade. It is not surprising to see him flourish with more ice time. Now we have a guy that's likely to be bought out lol.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Nino was on pace for 40 points from the 3rd/4th line before the trade. It is not surprising to see him flourish with more ice time. Now we have a guy that's likely to be bought out lol.
He was in the top 6 for the first 2 months. Don't act like he was 3rd and 4th line the entire time. Switching back and forth between the Koivu and Staal lines.

It was Coyle that was stuck on the 3rd line for the first two months, not Nino.

space321

May 11, 2011
He was in the top 6 for the first 2 months. Don't act like he was 3rd and 4th line the entire time. Switching back and forth between the Koivu and Staal lines.

It was Coyle that was stuck on the 3rd line for the first two months, not Nino.

Okay whatever. Bottom line is we gave up a better player than we got back. Embrace the tank, it might be what's best for this team tbh. Only wish the contract we got back wasn't so terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad