Player Discussion Nino "El Niño" Niederreiter

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Our PP has sucked for 4 years now.

Earlier this year, we got lucky when we were scoring on the PP. Just as we were unlucky with the whole goaltending issue, but it was not indicative of the whole.

Last good PP we had was under Richards (ug).

I am impressed with the PK and how it has come around at least.

It does seem odd that one of our better shooters and goal leaders has been completely taken off the PP.

But the coach knows best right? That's why for his entire coaching career he's sucked at the PP. I still can't believe Pit has as bad of a PP under him as they did, with THEIR lineup.

And yes, I'm blaming the damned coach on this.

He has done well at other things however, so before a couple of you say I'm a heathen, realize I'm just saying it about the PP.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Bolded.

EDIT: Damn, Digital beat me. I'll give you a toast of gif.

YiVcxAa.gif
:cheers:
You can't compare Pominville, Koivu, and Suter to Nino. They don't play the same role on the PP. Pominville and Suter were on the point. Koivu is a centerman who earns his keep with assists.

The two players you could compare Nino's role to would be Vanek and Parise. Both have scored on the PP in the past week.

Pominville was moved off the point to give Dumba a shot on the top PP unit.

Pominville will earn more goals in a "forward" role on the PP.

Vanek was moved down to the 2nd pairing to make room for Dumba.

Yeo is changing things up.
Will he? Just like he earns more goals 5v5 with top line minutes? :help:

I like the Dumba move but I still think Nino should be in for Pominville and Brodin in for Suter. That would give the PP a ton of movement ability instead of stationary passing.
This is actually a Nino Niederreiter discussion.

PK is related to the PP because they're both parts of special teams. We want the PK to be a WEAPON that helps us WIN when our 5v5 isn't generation anything also. You need to keep goals out of your net to win games too.
Our special teams differential is +6, which is 10th in the league.

A discussion of why Nino is not on the PP :help: PK isn't relevant to this discussion no matter how you spin it and use my words.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
:cheers:

Will he? Just like he earns more goals 5v5 with top line minutes? :help:

I like the Dumba move but I still think Nino should be in for Pominville and Brodin in for Suter. That would give the PP a ton of movement ability instead of stationary passing.

A discussion of why Nino is not on the PP :help: PK isn't relevant to this discussion no matter how you spin it and use my words.

I didn't say he'd earn more than Nino, I said he'll get more goals than he currently has been getting while playing on the point.

I haven't spun anything, I replied to someone that called Yeo an idiot, which I think was unnecessary. It's very tough for a team to excel at literally every aspect of the game.

I told you why Yeo made his moves and why Nino wasn't getting PP time. He hasn't been producing on the PP, say what you want about how he only gets 36 seconds, yada yada yada. But over a span of 4 months, if you can't contribute to at least 1 PP goal, you're doing something wrong.

These are what I wouldn't mind seeing:

Parise - Koivu - Pominville

Dumba - Scandella/Spurgeon

Vanek - Granlund - Stewart/Nino

Suter - Spurgeon/Scandella

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I didn't say he'd earn more than Nino, I said he'll get more goals than he currently has been getting while playing on the point.

I haven't spun anything, I replied to someone that called Yeo an idiot, which I think was unnecessary. It's very tough for a team to excel at literally every aspect of the game.

I told you why Yeo made his moves and why Nino wasn't getting PP time. He hasn't been producing on the PP, say what you want about how he only gets 36 seconds, yada yada yada. But over a span of 4 months, if you can't contribute to at least 1 PP goal, you're doing something wrong.

These are what I wouldn't mind seeing:

Parise - Koivu - Pominville

Dumba - Scandella/Spurgeon

Vanek - Granlund - Stewart/Nino

Suter - Spurgeon/Scandella

So if he won't score more than Nino why is he there?

It shouldn't be hard for this team to excel at everything. We are stacked with depth in every position.

Give Pominville/Vanek/Koivu 36 seconds of PP and I bet they would have the same result. Nino has points in four of the last five games playing on the third line...

Parise-Koivu/Granlund-Nino
Dumba-Brodin

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Pretty sure Chris Miller posted the ice time for units one and two will be more even tonight with the personnel swaps.

hey, the kings PP was 27th in the league when they won the cup. ****ing impossible, right?

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
So if he won't score more than Nino why is he there?

It shouldn't be hard for this team to excel at everything. We are stacked with depth in every position.

Give Pominville/Vanek/Koivu 36 seconds of PP and I bet they would have the same result. Nino has points in four of the last five games playing on the third line...

Parise-Koivu/Granlund-Nino
Dumba-Brodin

Because he's still a guy 1 year removed from a 30 goal season. He has the better resume than Nino does.

There isn't a team in the NHL that excels at everything, otherwise they'd be the perrenial Stanley Cup Champions. It's very very hard to have every aspect of the game down.

I bet one of them would be able to score a goal in at least 4 months worth of games. Also, Nino has been on the 2nd line with Chris Stewart and Mikko Koivu.

Granlund has no place on the Top PP unit and rightfully so until he can learn how to win faceoffs. Brodin has 14 points, he's not an offensive firepower, and should not be on the first PP unit.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
Pretty sure Chris Miller posted the ice time for units one and two will be more even tonight with the personnel swaps.

hey, the kings PP was 27th in the league when they won the cup. ****ing impossible, right?

So we have to climb only one position...:handclap:

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Because he's still a guy 1 year removed from a 30 goal season. He has the better resume than Nino does.

There isn't a team in the NHL that excels at everything, otherwise they'd be the perrenial Stanley Cup Champions. It's very very hard to have every aspect of the game down.

I bet one of them would be able to score a goal in at least 4 months worth of games. Also, Nino has been on the 2nd line with Chris Stewart and Mikko Koivu.

Granlund has no place on the Top PP unit and rightfully so until he can learn how to win faceoffs. Brodin has 14 points, he's not an offensive firepower, and should not be on the first PP unit.

A guy that isn't a threat unless someone is carrying him. The only thing that was going for him (his shot) isn't doing so hot this year.

Look at Pittsburgh, better 5v5, near 20% PP, 85.1% PK.

Just recently he was moved to 2nd line. Not enough time to even judge the impact yet he has started producing the past 5 games.

I agree about the faceoffs but Granlund is much better at being creative on the PP. Brodin isn't there for shooting, he's there for mobility and puck handling ability. It's not like he has no shot either, he had 3 ppg last year.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
A guy that isn't a threat unless someone is carrying him. The only thing that was going for him (his shot) isn't doing so hot this year.

Look at Pittsburgh, better 5v5, near 20% PP, 85.1% PK.

Just recently he was moved to 2nd line. Not enough time to even judge the impact yet he has started producing the past 5 games.

I agree about the faceoffs but Granlund is much better at being creative on the PP. Brodin isn't there for shooting, he's there for mobility and puck handling ability. It's not like he has no shot either, he had 3 ppg last year.

is he, though? how can you tell in :36?

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Stewart would help with winning puck battles down low and in the corners. Vanek needs to start firing pucks.

Yeah my only gripe is when Stewart stops moving his feet. Everything else about him I like. Vanek needs to be on a side wing open for a one-time or wrist shot.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
is he, though? how can you tell in :36?

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. Because Koivu's moves you can always see coming and they are slow and usually don't create anything. Granlund speeds up the play and his passes are better than Koivu's and he's not stationary.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. Because Koivu's moves you can always see coming and they are slow and usually don't create anything. Granlund speeds up the play and his passes are better than Koivu's and he's not stationary.

that just sounds like everyone else on repeat. but if you keep repeating it, it'll become true, i suppose. but it's not. passes are better, possession isn't, scoring chances aren't.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Sure, you can put Granlund out there on the 1st unit for a minute...

but half of that minute will be spent collecting the puck from our end after he loses the faceoff and it gets cleared. If anything, I'd be okay with having him AND Koivu out there.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta

but half of that minute will be spent collecting the puck from our end after he loses the faceoff and it gets cleared. If anything, I'd be okay with having him AND Koivu out there.

Could be interesting. Might just be a pass-fest though.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Nino was a beast tonight vs. Nashville - really like that big line, although they may have to give some muscle back to Granny's line, they got manhandled tonight.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Yeah for all that it hasn't been showing up, Nino has been playing well the last few games. Very hard attack with or without the puck. He can smell the post season.

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010
Some may disagree but I think Stewart has been a bit of an example to guys like Coyle and Nino on how use your size and strength effectively. Just going to the net and strength on the puck, down low, cycling, holding guys off to make time to create a play. Nino has been playing a hard nosed game lately and Coyle has been noticeably more physical and offensively inclined lately too. His second goal especially last night was something I think we've all been waiting to see from him all year.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Some may disagree but I think Stewart has been a bit of an example to guys like Coyle and Nino on how use your size and strength effectively. Just going to the net and strength on the puck, down low, cycling, holding guys off to make time to create a play. Nino has been playing a hard nosed game lately and Coyle has been noticeably more physical and offensively inclined lately too. His second goal especially last night was something I think we've all been waiting to see from him all year.

Powerforwards take more time to develop than skilled snipers/playmakers.

I think Coyle will take a little time to reach his peak, but he'll be good.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012

Good point - these guys can model the work ethic after ZP, but how to play big, there was no model to follow on the team.

Seems to me Nino has been off the charts physical since they put him with Stewart.

Well said El Nino.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
I still haven't given up hope on Coyle.

Last night he showed what he's capable of if/when he finds that next gear.

I also agree that Stewart is potentially an influence on Nino and Coyle.

Nino always deferred too much when he was put with the Big Dogs - he needs to be just a little more selfish. He'll get there.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
I still haven't given up hope on Coyle.

Last night he showed what he's capable of if/when he finds that next gear.

I also agree that Stewart is potentially an influence on Nino and Coyle.

Nino always deferred too much when he was put with the Big Dogs - he needs to be just a little more selfish. He'll get there.

Throw in Tuch and Lucia, and suddenly this team has some size, and hopefully swagger down the road, like a true WC power.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Except, Granlund doesn't lose EVERY faceoff, so not sure why you're assuming he does. He was 67% on the dot last night, and in February, he was 55% on the dot... he's struggled most of this month and off and on during the year, but he's not completely inept either.

Koivu doesn't win every faceoff either... there are plenty of times he loses the draw on the PP and it gets cleared and they have to go back and re-enter the zone. Though it never takes 30 seconds to do so, so that's quite the exaggeration.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
If they play the next game (and we actually get a powerplay) the way they practiced for the last, we'll be able to see the wonderous magical Granlund center extravaganza. surely they'll score. how can they not, with equal time?

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Was just scrolling down the goal scorer stats, when I realized something:
Nino is a half Ovechkin!

AO: 47G 26A 73P +9 52 PIM
NN: 24G 13A 37P +5 26 PIM

Ovie needs to score a goal and +1 tomorrow to make it perfect :D

Little more on topic: his line is rolling right now, hope they can keep it up.
His scoring went downeards in the 2nd half but it was expected. His effort stayed the same I believe and 24 goals are still a good number after all.
One thing I like is how differently he scores his goals, he has not only a nice wrister, but also lifts 'em backhand like Koivu or deflects one or another im front of the goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad