Player Discussion Nino "El Niño" Niederreiter

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Completely wrong....

If they get a faceoff ~1 minute in they always change to the second unit. Thing is, they just don't get stoppages at an appropriate time...first unit will do a good job and keep the puck in the zone for over a minute which makes changing to the second unit a little bit more difficult.

First unit cycles the damned puck too long which frequently wastes too much of our PP time.

And our PP still sucks. Just because we've gotten a few lucky goals using the most obvious setup possible does not equate to a better PP.

First unit needs to take more risks and have more quick, lateral movement, shoot more. Not cycle the puck for a minute to a minute 30 in the zone with one shot attempt, then we get to listen to that idiot Greenlay discuss how ****ing great their puck movement was, but we had no shots on goal.

Nino at least shoots and finds the open ice when he's feeling confident. Limit 1st unit to 1 min and give the second unit the latter minute. Second unit as shown greater creativity with the puck and deserve some time.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Yeah I'm certainly not absolving them of all of their failures but I just think the 1st/2nd unit thing is a little overblown in terms of their allotted time. One thing I've thought of before is having the 2nd unit start things off every once in a while but Koivu is so key to win that first faceoff...

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Yeah I'm certainly not absolving them of all of their failures but I just think the 1st/2nd unit thing is a little overblown in terms of their allotted time. One thing I've thought of before is having the 2nd unit start things off every once in a while but Koivu is so key to win that first faceoff...

Our 1st PP to 2nd PP time disparity is actually mind boggling. It isn't overblown.

J22*

Our 1st PP to 2nd PP time disparity is actually mind boggling. It isn't overblown.

It's only mind boggling if you think they should be anywhere close to equal. When you put your 4 best offensive forwards and your best dman all on one unit, that unit should get big minutes.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
It's only mind boggling if you think they should be anywhere close to equal. When you put your 4 best offensive forwards and your best dman all on one unit, that unit should get big minutes.

When 2 of your 3 leading goal scorers and your leading d'man goalscorer see little powerplay time, that is mind boggling.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Continue to see the Nino I like. Aggressive. Loving it. I'm sure someone could start a thread about how awful the Powerplay is and how much Yeo hates certain players and life isn't fair.

Nino, the subject of this thread, is playing his best all-around hockey right now. Dangerous in the offensive zone, fast and aggressive away from the puck...just playing great. the trick is going to be getting him to stay at that comfort level in other situations.

Handlanger

Mar 28, 2008
When 2 of your 3 leading goal scorers and your leading d'man goalscorer see little powerplay time, that is mind boggling.

It's even more mind-boggling when our second goal scoring leader is not even considered for the power play anymore.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
When was the last time Nino scored on the PP because it seems like a LOOOOOOOOONG time. He was on a hot stretch about 3 months ago when it seems like he was tallying all those goals.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
When was the last time Nino scored on the PP because it seems like a LOOOOOOOOONG time. He was on a hot stretch about 3 months ago when it seems like he was tallying all those goals.

When was the last time Nino was given more than 30 seconds to score on the PP? A guy who isn't even given a chance when Vanek and Pominville are clearly not working at their current positions on the power play. The power play couldn't get any worse. I'm willing to bet we could send Coyle-Granlund-Nino-Dumba-Brodin and get the same (or better) stats as Parise-Koivu-Vanek-Pominville-Suter (now Dumba-Suter) because that group is dysfunctional together.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
When was the last time Nino was given more than 30 seconds to score on the PP? A guy who isn't even given a chance when Vanek and Pominville are clearly not working at their current positions on the power play. The power play couldn't get any worse. I'm willing to bet we could send Coyle-Granlund-Nino-Dumba-Brodin and get the same (or better) stats as Parise-Koivu-Vanek-Pominville-Suter (now Dumba-Suter) because that group is dysfunctional together.

His last PP goal was on December 13th, his one before that was on November 20th.

He hasn't been working out on the PP

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market

December 13th.

Kinda hard to score when you get 20 seconds of PP time per power play. They've scored right after the PP has ended a couple times, but that doesn't count for the PP. Player 2nd in goals on the power play is 9th on the team in PP time. That doesn't make sense.'

Koivu and Pominville with 3 PP goals. Koivu is 147th in PP points/60 among all players with at least 100 minutes. 147 of 246. Pominville is 176 of 246.

Among players with over 200 PP minutes. (PP points/60)
Thomas Vanek 33/61
Zach Parise 42/61
Mikko Koivu 52/61
Jason Pominville 55/61
Ryan Suter 61/61

Among players with over 200 PP minutes (PP goals/60)
Thomas Vanek 31/61
Zach Parise 9/61
Mikko Koivu 47/61
Jason Pominville 48/61
Ryan Suter 60/61

Among players with over 100 PP minutes (PP goals/60)
Nino Niederreiter 20/246
Zach Parise 26/246
Chris Stewart 38/246
Thomas Vanek 113/246
Jared Spurgeon 152/246
Mikko Koivu 178/246
Jason Pominville 179/246
Chuck Coyle 195/246
Ryan Suter 236/246
Mikael Granlund 240/246

Shows the definition of insanity. Yeo is an idiot. Brunette is an idiot. Idk, depends on who you want to blame.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
December 13th.

Kinda hard to score when you get 20-30 seconds of PP time. They've scored right after the PP has ended a couple times, but that doesn't count for the PP. Player 2nd in goals on the power play is 9th on the team in PP time. That doesn't make sense.'

Koivu and Pominville with 3 PP goals. Koivu is 147th in PP points/60 among all players with at least 100 minutes. 147 of 246. Pominville is 176 of 246.

Among players with over 200 PP minutes. (PP points/60)
Thomas Vanek 33/61
Zach Parise 42/61
Mikko Koivu 52/61
Jason Pominville 55/61
Ryan Suter 61/61

Among players with over 200 PP minutes (PP goals/60)
Thomas Vanek 31/61
Zach Parise 9/61
Mikko Koivu 47/61
Jason Pominville 48/61
Ryan Suter 60/61

Among players with over 100 PP minutes (PP goals/60)
Nino Niederreiter 20/246
Zach Parise 26/246
Chris Stewart 38/246
Thomas Vanek 113/246
Jared Spurgeon 152/246
Mikko Koivu 178/246
Jason Pominville 179/246
Chuck Coyle 195/246
Ryan Suter 236/246
Mikael Granlund 240/246

Shows the definition of insanity. Yeo is an idiot. Brunette is an idiot. Idk, depends on who you want to blame.

:shakehead

You're obviously going to see those numbers when you're near the bottom of the league in PP%...

The PP was working for a good stretch of time and I think we were using the same units, so I guess they did get different results.

They've been in a slump and they haven't had any practice time to improve it.

Our special teams has been operating at a + since the All-Star break and with the way we're playing 5 v 5, that's what we need right now.

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010

Honestly the biggest issue with that first PP unit is that Pommer misses the net 9 out of 10 times when he gets a shooting lane or tees up a one-timer. Then Koivu, Vanek, and Suter all hesitate to shoot or try to make a ridiculous extra pass. Hopefully with Dumba on the top unit we will get more pucks to the net.

IMO the issue with Yeo is that he wants to use Nino as a net front guy instead of a shooter. Nino is a big body and all, but to not use his heavy shot is a mistake. Imagine Granlund feeding Nino perfect saucer one-timers and Vanek out front tipping pucks. That's what it should be.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
:shakehead

You're obviously going to see those numbers when you're near the bottom of the league in PP%...

The PP was working for a good stretch of time and I think we were using the same units, so I guess they did get different results.

They've been in a slump and they haven't had any practice time to improve it.

Our special teams has been operating at a + since the All-Star break and with the way we're playing 5 v 5, that's what we need right now.

So, dismissing individual numbers because the team has bad numbers? Mmk.

And yes, believe any excuse they want you to believe. Laying an egg is still laying an egg.

Special teams may be a plus because we have the #1 ranked PK. Doesn't excuse the Power play one bit. Fact is the power play has cost us multiple games. You can go ahead and snort the Wild dust, but I'm going to look at the stats and how we actually perform.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
So, dismissing individual numbers because the team has bad numbers? Mmk.

And yes, believe any excuse they want you to believe. Laying an egg is still laying an egg.

Special teams may be a plus because we have the #1 ranked PK. Doesn't excuse the Power play one bit. Fact is the power play has cost us multiple games. You can go ahead and snort the Wild dust, but I'm going to look at the stats and how we actually perform.

Can you not act so pretentious when discussing something?

No, I'm dismissing the fact that the PP as a whole has been terrible. Nino had a hot run towards the beginning of the year and that's skewing the numbers. He hasn't been getting anything done on it, and he's been getting more than 20 seconds.

The Wild have a total PP Time of 377 minutes.

Nino has been on the ice during a PP for 112 minutes.

112/377 = 30%

30% of PP time = 36 seconds of the PP.

Now, of course, it's not a fair distribution, but that's still 36 seconds to get something done. He hasn't done that since December 13. That was 4 months ago. If you can't score on the PP in over 4 months, despite only getting 36 seconds/PP, you're not proving you're deserving of a more equal distribution.

Yeo is changing up the PP units now, is he not? People just love to complain about Yeo for whatever reason.

If I'm snorting the Wild dust, you're snorting whatever the opposite is.

We do have the #1 PK in the league is that not something to get excited about? The PP may have lost us games, but the PK has also won us games, something you seem to be excusing. Of course, I want the PP to get better, but I'm not going to discredit the other achievements this team has accomplished. We obviously need to score more on the PP, but if our PK keeps it up, it's at the very least a wash. The way our team is playing 5 v 5 is what is most important.

Other important stats:

We have the 7th least amount of PK time.

We have the 11th most amount of PP time.

We have the 6th best differential between PP time and PK time at +42:32.

Last edited:

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Last ppg for each of the "main" players on the PP

Pominville (February 3rd)
Koivu (January 20th)
Parise (March 13th)
Vanek (March 10th)
Suter (February 9th) (only goal on this season)

Three players haven't scored in over a month.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Players I'd like to see given a chance on the #1 PP: Nino, Dumba, Zucker, Scandella, Spurgeon. None of them are afraid to shoot. We'll see what Dumba does with his opportunity. Every time he touches the puck he shoots it and I like that about him. Gotta shoot to score.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Can you not act so pretentious when discussing something?

No, I'm dismissing the fact that the PP as a whole has been terrible. Nino had a hot run towards the beginning of the year and that's skewing the numbers. He hasn't been getting anything done on it, and he's been getting more than 20 seconds.

112/377 = 30%

30% of PP time = 36 seconds of the PP.

Now, of course, it's not a fair distribution, but that's still 36 seconds to get something done. He hasn't done that since December 13. That was 4 months ago. If you can't score on the PP in over 4 months, despite only getting 36 seconds/PP, you're not proving you're deserving of a more equal distribution.

Yeo is changing up the PP units now, is he not? People just love to complain about Yeo for whatever reason.

If I'm snorting the Wild dust, you're snorting whatever the opposite is.

We do have the #1 PK in the league is that not something to get excited about? The PP may have lost us games, but the PK has also won us games, something you seem to be excusing. Of course, I want the PP to get better, but I'm not going to discredit the other achievements this team has accomplished. We obviously need to score more on the PP, but if our PK keeps it up, it's at the very least a wash. The way our team is playing 5 v 5 is what is most important.

Other important stats:

We have the 7th least amount of PK time.

We have the 11th most amount of PP time.

We have the 6th best differential between PP time and PK time at +42:32.

Do you not see how perfect you have to be to score in 36 seconds? Especially since most of the time they start from their own zone :help:

Not hating on Yeo, he just needs to realize that certain things don't work faster than he has been.

Why are you bringing the PK into a PP discussion? We shouldn't be striving for EVEN. We want the PP to be a WEAPON that helps us WIN when our 5v5 ISN'T generating anything.

Last edited:

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Honestly the biggest issue with that first PP unit is that Pommer misses the net 9 out of 10 times when he gets a shooting lane or tees up a one-timer. Then Koivu, Vanek, and Suter all hesitate to shoot or try to make a ridiculous extra pass. Hopefully with Dumba on the top unit we will get more pucks to the net.

IMO the issue with Yeo is that he wants to use Nino as a net front guy instead of a shooter. Nino is a big body and all, but to not use his heavy shot is a mistake. Imagine Granlund feeding Nino perfect saucer one-timers and Vanek out front tipping pucks. That's what it should be.

I agree with all of this. You could even put Stewart out front if Vanek doesn't work out.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Can you not act so pretentious when discussing something? Well then, over the pretentious handle bars I go for throwing your game right back at you.

No, I'm dismissing the fact that the PP as a whole has been terrible. Something that can't be dismissed.Nino had a hot run towards the beginning of the year and that's skewing the numbers. He hasn't been getting anything done on it, and he's been getting more than 20 seconds.

112/377 = 30% Then we are giving one of the worst PP P/60 players in the entire league 70%. Seem fair? Suter.

30% of PP time = 36 seconds of the PP. If you'd like to talk skewing of stats, we can also talk about how 2PP only gets a fair amount of time :)45-~1M) when games are out of reach. Artificially bringing the total up to a still paltry 36 seconds.

Now, of course, it's not a fair distribution, but that's still 36 seconds to get something done. He hasn't done that since December 13. That was 4 months ago. If you can't score on the PP in over 4 months, despite only getting 36 seconds/PP, you're not proving you're deserving of a more equal distribution. See Digital's next post. Just because Nino isn't scoring doesn't mean someone else is. Not many are. And he has a better chance than most.

Yeo is changing up the PP units now, is he not? People just love to complain about Yeo for whatever reason.Yes, Yeo got a new toy in Stewart. Congrats.

If I'm snorting the Wild dust, you're snorting whatever the opposite is. Fine. You're sucking Yeo's eyebrows, whatever, semantics.

We do have the #1 PK in the league is that not something to get excited about? The PP may have lost us games, but the PK has also won us games, something you seem to be excusing. Of course, I want the PP to get better, but I'm not going to discredit the other achievements this team has accomplished. We obviously need to score more on the PP, but if our PK keeps it up, it's at the very least a wash. The way our team is playing 5 v 5 is what is most important. I never said it isn't something to get excited about. But we're talking about putting someone on the PP. I'm not discrediting anything. But just because the PP doesn't score, doesn't mean its evened out by the PK not allowing a goal.

Other important stats:

We have the 7th least amount of PK time. Doesn't belong in this conversation

We have the 11th most amount of PP time. And still we are only 27th in goals. But at least that's better than our 28th ranked percentage

We have the 6th best differential between PP time and PK time at +42:32.Still don't care. I'm talking about Nino on the Power play, not on the PK. Otherwise, great team stat.

Bolded.

EDIT: Damn, Digital beat me. I'll give you a toast of gif.

YiVcxAa.gif

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Last ppg for each of the "main" players on the PP

Pominville (February 3rd)
Koivu (January 20th)
Parise (March 13th)
Vanek (March 10th)
Suter (February 9th) (only goal on this season)

Three players haven't scored in over a month.

You can't compare Pominville, Koivu, and Suter to Nino. They don't play the same role on the PP. Pominville and Suter were on the point. Koivu is a centerman who earns his keep with assists.

The two players you could compare Nino's role to would be Vanek and Parise. Both have scored on the PP in the past week.

Pominville was moved off the point to give Dumba a shot on the top PP unit.

Pominville will earn more goals in a "forward" role on the PP.

Vanek was moved down to the 2nd pairing to make room for Dumba.

Yeo is changing things up.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Do you not see how perfect you have to be to score in 36 seconds? Especially since most of the time they start from their own zone :help:

Not hating on Yeo, he just needs to realize that certain things don't work faster than he has been.

Why are you bringing the PK into a PP discussion? We shouldn't be striving for EVEN. We want the PP to be a WEAPON that helps us WIN when our 5v5 ISN'T generating anything.

This is actually a Nino Niederreiter discussion.

PK is related to the PP because they're both parts of special teams. We want the PK to be a WEAPON that helps us WIN when our 5v5 isn't generation anything also. You need to keep goals out of your net to win games too.
Our special teams differential is +6, which is 10th in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad