Player Discussion Nino "El Niño" Niederreiter

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAYHA

Jan 17, 2015
In the woods
If we are a fast forechecking team, I think we can afford to play the body more. I went their d to hear footsteps and turn the puck over. When they literally have no fear of getting hit, they can exit the zone cleanly. I get that you don't wanna arrive late and go running around all game... But when you dump it in deep and their d gets on the puck first, you can afford to hit the guy
Like Yeo's first couple months coaching

PAYHA

Jan 17, 2015
In the woods
He's streaky, but with the way all 4 lines are now rolling pretty alright, he may get enough quality chances to get there

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Nice to see him hit 20. Quite a few games left, if he gets on a roll, there's no reason he can't get to 30. Would be fun!

It wouldn't be unheard of... 21 games to get 9 goals... .42 goals/gm. He's at .34 goals/gm right now which is a 28 goal season pace (27.88 technically).

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
Already potted 21, if he gets 25 this year he has exceeded his expectations from me at least this year. Very nice to see him developing so well!

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Already potted 21, if he gets 25 this year he has exceeded his expectations from me at least this year. Very nice to see him developing so well!

Compared to that 55g 1g 0a -29 season, he developed quite well over the last two years :D

25 goals would be a nice achievement for him, there's no doubt for me that he'll add some 30 goal seasons too in the coming years.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
21 goals is already ridiculous playing 13 minutes a night with barely any PP time.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
21 goals is already ridiculous playing 13 minutes a night with barely any PP time.

I think our top goalscoring wingers are in good company.

EruSOZA.jpg

Casper

30 goal grinder
Mar 23, 2010
MN

Its awesome. We are just seeing Nino starting to scratch his potential. As he gets a little more mature and is able to handle the top six minutes without changing his game his numbers should only go up.

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
Awesome for him to hit 20 goals. I think we need either nino or Coyle to become a really good pwf.

(Unpopular opinion incoming) I like how yeo has used him. He has been tasked with driving our third line for the most part. It's great experience to do that rather than get used to deferring to talented linemates. The next step is driving a better line against better competition.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Awesome for him to hit 20 goals. I think we need either nino or Coyle to become a really good pwf.

(Unpopular opinion incoming) I like how yeo has used him. He has been tasked with driving our third line for the most part. It's great experience to do that rather than get used to deferring to talented linemates. The next step is driving a better line against better competition.

i defend Yeo at every turn mostly because the reactions against him by most here are so over the top short sighted and nuts, but while Nino does flourish on the 3rd line and that's where I wanted him this year anyway, Yeo has tried and does want him playing a top six role--Just that Nino defers too much and doesn't play the same game he does on the third. Probably just an experience thing, and having a great offensive season should do wonders for his confidence and realizing his role on the team is to drive offense, not be there to support the veterans. I mean, it turns out the third line works best for him now (or playing with Coyle and another young guy) but he's sort of down there through his own doing, not a grand strategic move. It looks good though--gives us scoring punch on three lines meaning one of them should be fairly free to find scoring chances.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
My problem with Yeo on all this is when to swap power play units. Whan I watch other teams, 30-45 seconds of powerplay is usually when you put on the 2nd unit. Wild, a face off 50 seconds in, he doesn't change, even a minute in. I'd be fine with swapping power play units as often as the opponents swap pkers, especially if it ain't working.

M A D D E N I N G !

J22*

My problem with Yeo on all this is when to swap power play units. Whan I watch other teams, 30-45 seconds of powerplay is usually when you put on the 2nd unit. Wild, a face off 50 seconds in, he doesn't change, even a minute in. I'd be fine with swapping power play units as often as the opponents swap pkers, especially if it ain't working.

M A D D E N I N G !

The PP turned around when they put the current group together and started giving them extended time. They used countless combinations trying to find anything that worked, and once they found something that did work at a decent success rate, people want to complain about the limited icetime for the guys that don't produce?:dunno:

I would like to see Dumba replace Pominville and Koivu and Parise should switch roles, but I have no desire to see increased PP time for Granlund, Coyle or Brodin.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
some people would like to risk a negative side toward PP% to see if the gain in playing the 2nd unit would be worth it. Beginning of the year i would have loved to seen it tinkered with on a nightly basis but now is not the time, especially when we're finally okay at it. 2nd unit has limited time to impress, just like players do hoping to move up from the bottom six. some players manage it. 2nd unit deserves to move up, they'll produce more. same thing applies to kids in the bottom six--seems unfair they only get however many minutes to show they belong in a bigger role, but logistically it's what you do unless the team is faltering. it's certainly not doing that lately.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
nino gets a gold star for turning his career around. i will be happy if hes a perennial 20G scorer with the chance of a 30G season. we hit the jackpot trading for him. what was the nyi gm thinking?????? now if we can trade for yakupov aka nino#2

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
nino gets a gold star for turning his career around. i will be happy if hes a perennial 20G scorer with the chance of a 30G season. we hit the jackpot trading for him. what was the nyi gm thinking?????? now if we can trade for yakupov aka nino#2

That he has lot of prospects with offensive upside besides nino.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan

M A D D E N I N G !

Completely wrong....

If they get a faceoff ~1 minute in they always change to the second unit. Thing is, they just don't get stoppages at an appropriate time...first unit will do a good job and keep the puck in the zone for over a minute which makes changing to the second unit a little bit more difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad