Series Talk: Rangers vs. Carolina (Game 1, Sunday May 5th @ 4pm ET, ESPN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I agree. I have a lot of Islanders fans in my life and they despise Rangers fans on social media for how they act like the team isnt good. Its a very odd sect of the fanbase that clearly has PTSD from the Dark Ages/never getting over the hump with Henrik. I get it to some extent but its such a downer and a drag
There is a certain segment of this fanbase who act like entitled brats and nothing will be good enough except a cup no matter how the entire season went. The Rangers have won 59 games this year and have had a terrific season. It does not matter to some unless they achieve the holy grail. Even if they win the cup you will still have some knuckleheads that would complain that they didn't do it easier. It's exhausting.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
This is going to be a tough series but we knew it was inevitable. Personally, I'd go Rangers in 7 with a gun to my head but could certainly make a case for the Canes.

I'll leave this graphic for everyone to compare to the Rangers current forward group:

View attachment 862806
Puny - Puny - Not Puny
Not Puny - Puny - Soft
Puny - Not Puny - Puny
Soft - Soft - Not Puny

Hammer these softies all series please, it will break their will and force them to make mistakes.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Jack Drury centering line 2? Uh, ok i guess? Kuznetsov is a corpse on their 4th line too. We matchup well with them
have you watched them post-deadline? drury and kuznetsov both look pretty damn good!
Its one thing to say the Canes are a better team(I disagree) and its going to be a tough series, but I think some people are covering their asses so they can "I told you so" if the Rangers lose. Just one man's opinion.
its an interesting part of fandom, psychologically. Only one team gets to win, obviously, so a belief or faith in one's own squad to get it done is almost necessarily illogical and plain ol dumb.

Furthermore, the presence or lack of belief in the teams ability to win - a game, a series, a championship - is often seen on both sides as a referendum on fandom itself.

That's playing out here; to some, if you don't believe then you're not a fan (they're all on the "main boards"). To others, to not acknowledge that we're statistically not favored means that you're just a blind and mewling zealot.

For me, personally? Ive spent the vast majority of my life on the doomtelling side of the ledger. Always seeing the other team as better, always foreseeing the reasons why we'd probably lose. I'm a Mets fan, a Knicks fan, a Rangers fan.. there's trauma there.

But this season feels a little different. Maybe it's because I have other things going on so I don't attach as much to this. I'm not sure. The point is that this team has shown all season that you can put anything in front of them and they will figure out how to beat it. They dont care about the numbers, or the narratives, or the personnel. They just f***in win.

So I know it's gonna be a challenge. I know how good Carolina is, and how good a story Andersen's success is. I know how weak Kreider is on the defensive boards, how Kakko can't pot one to save his life, how Trouba is on one leg.

But these rangers have been through it before. They want it. I think they're ready. And for the first time I actually feel like they've earned my belief.

One game, one period, one shift. Get it done.

nyrallday

Apr 23, 2024
have you watched them post-deadline? drury and kuznetsov both look pretty damn good!

its an interesting part of fandom, psychologically. Only one team gets to win, obviously, so a belief or faith in one's own squad to get it done is almost necessarily illogical and plain ol dumb.

Furthermore, the presence or lack of belief in the teams ability to win - a game, a series, a championship - is often seen on both sides as a referendum on fandom itself.

That's playing out here; to some, if you don't believe then you're not a fan (they're all on the "main boards"). To others, to not acknowledge that we're statistically not favored means that you're just a blind and mewling zealot.

For me, personally? Ive spent the vast majority of my life on the doomtelling side of the ledger. Always seeing the other team as better, always foreseeing the reasons why we'd probably lose. I'm a Mets fan, a Knicks fan, a Rangers fan.. there's trauma there.

But this season feels a little different. Maybe it's because I have other things going on so I don't attach as much to this. I'm not sure. The point is that this team has shown all season that you can put anything in front of them and they will figure out how to beat it. They dont care about the numbers, or the narratives, or the personnel. They just f***in win.

So I know it's gonna be a challenge. I know how good Carolina is, and how good a story Andersen's success is. I know how weak Kreider is on the defensive boards, how Kakko can't pot one to save his life, how Trouba is on one leg.

But these rangers have been through it before. They want it. I think they're ready. And for the first time I actually feel like they've earned my belief.

That's great. Have you seen our 2nd line center pretty much take over games?

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey

I feel you 100%. It just feels like they win the games they have to win.

And the performances of last year and the year before have made me rethink my fandom, and not obsess as much as I used to. I still love this team but yea. Those were some dark times.

nyrallday

Apr 23, 2024
Puny - Puny - Not Puny
Not Puny - Puny - Soft
Puny - Not Puny - Puny
Soft - Soft - Not Puny

Hammer these softies all series please, it will break their will and force them to make mistakes.
If we had Jordan Martinook in our top 6, fans would riot outside MSG

Reactions: HolyHagelin

nyrallday

Apr 23, 2024
I feel you 100%. It just feels like they win the games they have to win.

And the performances of last year and the year before have made me rethink my fandom, and not obsess as much as I used to. I still love this team but yea. Those were some dark times.
The beauty of being a fan is that i don't play the games and there is no pressure on me. I can be as arrogant and confident as i want because it doesn't really disturb my life either way. I sat through plenty of disappointing losses and seasons with all my sports teams (Yankees, Giants, Rangers) i hope for the best and that's it. Some overconfident douche like me on the internet isn't changing any outcome of anything. Some fans get wrapped up in predictions as if it means anything anyway.

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024

Only a little bit personally, but the canes fans seem to disagree with you

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Based Machinehead is GOAT Machinehead. I'm here for it.
I actually prefer (Blue) October Emo Machinehead.

The Isles really softened them up for us...

Edit: not looking forward to seeing their insanely aggressive PK. I wonder why more teams don't do it. This should be pretty evenly matched. Big edge in goal.

Other teams don't do it because once a team like the Rangers adapt, it can expose you badly. 5v4 quickly becomes 3v1. Panarin and Fox are the PP drivers and they like to slow it down and play kind of cute to get around aggressive defenders. As long as they make quick decisions and don't get too cute/lax in their movements, the Rangers will end up ok there. No doubt there will be PPs that look horrid where they won't even get set up but eventually they'll beat that pressure and you'll have Panarin with the puck on his stick with two wide open options and only one defender to defeat.

I agree. I have a lot of Islanders fans in my life and they despise Rangers fans on social media for how they act like the team isnt good. Its a very odd sect of the fanbase that clearly has PTSD from the Dark Ages/never getting over the hump with Henrik. I get it to some extent but its such a downer and a drag

I'm usually really positive as being negative about something that I have no control over and that is supposed to be entertainment, an escape away, from the rest of the unfun stuff in life seems pointless, but my PTSD comes from last year's playoffs where this same exact leadership group showed very little after two games. They embarrassed themselves and no amount of post conference platitudes will make me feel better until I see them show it on the ice.

nyrallday

Apr 23, 2024
The Rangers will wear down Carolina as this series moves along if they make it a focus to play physical against this smaller team which I suspect the will. Every shift matters no matter the score. It's going to be a war. Rangers in 6.
If we don't play physical then we are wasting one of our biggest advantages. Were bigger and heavier than Carolina. Use that to our advantage and wear them down.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I don't have trauma or stress.

I have several disorders but that's unrelated.

I have never been more prepared. I could not be less nervous about this series.

I know who both teams are and I know how both teams would win if they did. It could go either way.

We can have an honest discussion about the series or we could just say nice things about the Rangers. That's up to you.

I don't care where they are. This is not the Devils or the Capitals. The Hurricanes are barely a booger up my nose. I care about the next seven games.

My original post wasn't directed toward you but it certainly feels like an "honest discussion" about the Rangers means we have to shit on them and I dont abide that. It's been a decade since we won our last Prez trophy and 13 years since we swept a first round series. We did both this year. Sue me for having confidence in our team. Did the Canes? Why do I have to slobber all over another team that's never won shit and dives and cries all over the ice. f*** them. We are better. We will win. If we don't, it's massive disappointment on our part and you can tell me you told me so in 2 weeks.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010

Hopefully the Rangers start Sunday, and don't have to wait until Tuesday to start game 1.

If I'd guess, Sunday is it. There is the chance that it is Saturday if the Knicks and Bruins win tomorrow.

Right now Leafs/Bruins G7 is all that is slated for Saturday. If the East is wrapped up, it can begin a little earlier than the west.

Reactions: egelband

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
I don't want to get political, but if we lose this series, @Tob must delete his account AND write a formal letter, on our behalf, to the team's front office requesting a real rebuild, before WWF President Jack Tunney can reinstate him here.

Reactions: Tob and Ail

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
If I'd guess, Sunday is it. There is the chance that it is Saturday if the Knicks and Bruins win tomorrow.

Right now Leafs/Bruins G7 is all that is slated for Saturday. If the East is wrapped up, it can begin a little earlier than the west.
I don’t see them starting the east early.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I'm usually really positive as being negative about something that I have no control over and that is supposed to be entertainment, an escape away, from the rest of the unfun stuff in life seems pointless, but my PTSD comes from last year's playoffs where this same exact leadership group showed very little after two games. They embarrassed themselves and no amount of post conference platitudes will make me feel better until I see them show it on the ice.

That's understandable considering they had blown 2-0 leads the last 2 years to be eliminated. The fact that they nutted up and won 2 desperation games from Washington in their building to complete the elusive sweep is a step in the right direction. You never want to play more than required (just look at the position the Knicks find themselves in). Laviolette's presence is also huge imo. Steady hand who can make an adjustment. Him over Gallant in playoff situations makes us a much more formidable opponent

nyrallday

Apr 23, 2024
My original post wasn't directed toward you but it certainly feels like an "honest discussion" about the Rangers means we have to shit on them and I dont abide that. It's been a decade since we won our last Prez trophy and 13 years since we swept a first round series. We did both this year. Sue me for having confidence in our team. Did the Canes? Why do I have to slobber all over another team that's never won shit and dives and cries all over the ice. f*** them. We are better. We will win. If we don't, it's massive disappointment on our part and you can tell me you told me so in 2 weeks.
Because for some, it's not about rooting for the team, it's more about being right. You ever had something happen in your life and someone says "i told you so". I try to avoid those people because there are usually other things behind it.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

Yes, most likely Sunday. That would be a full week off. Assuming it is Sunday the Rangers will have played only 4 games over the last 3 weeks. Quite the opposite of the shit show scheduling that had them play their last 20 games in 36 days.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Because for some, it's not about rooting for the team, it's more about being right. You ever had something happen in your life and someone says "i told you so". I try to avoid those people because there are usually other things behind it.

On the flip side it was nice to tell everyone "I told you so" about the Devils being frauds.

Reactions: bhamill

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Yeah the X factor in this series is how tight it’s going to be called. If the Rangers are allowed to play through the Canes Carolina is in a lot of trouble.

If this is called like the Washington series was, it works to Carolina’s favor.

What I wouldn’t give to see Aho or Jake Grundle get Trouba’d in this series.

If we had Jordan Martinook in our top 6, fans would riot outside MSG

I dunno i think hed be a fan favorite. Dude is a dog.

nyrallday

Apr 23, 2024
On the flip side it was nice to tell everyone "I told you so" about the Devils being frauds.
Lots of people and some on this board said the Devils were gonna shit on us for the next decade, their young talent shits on ours and we have no chance. People couldn't wait to see the Devils win a fluke series against us so they can say see! I told you they would beat us!! Hughes iz better den Kakkoo!!! Then the Devils got annihilated in round 2 and sucked ass this year while we won the presidents trophy. Sounds like nobody knows shit about what they were talking about.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Lots of people and some on this board said the Devils were gonna shit on us for the next decade, their young talent shits on ours and we have no chance. People couldn't wait to see the Devils win a fluke series against us so they can say see! I told you they would beat us!! Hughes iz better den Kakkoo!!! Then the Devils got annihilated in round 2 and sucked ass this year while we won the presidents trophy. Sounds like nobody knows shit about what they were talking about.
I said the devils had talent, but a potentially awful goaltending situation.
I felt very rewarded for my foresight this season.

devils need to move a big piece for someone like askarov. If they don’t they’ll be worse than Toronto, in terms of overall success.

nyrallday

Apr 23, 2024
I said the devils had talent, but a potentially awful goaltending situation.
I felt very rewarded for my foresight this season.

devils need to move a big piece for someone like askarov. If they don’t they’ll be worse than Toronto, in terms of overall success.
The Devils literally mean nothing to me. Rempe ruined their lives this season

Reactions: HolyHagelin

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Wildly different opinions about this series.

I'm actually taken aback by some of the confidence in here. I like it - and I really hope those picking the Rangers in 4 or 5 are right!

Personally I think this is going to be a tough series to win. Any series here on out will be tough. The Caps were the weakest team in the tournament by far and the Rangers dispatched them as they should have in 4.

The Canes have some pieces that scare me but also have some that can be exploited. I see this going 6 or 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad