Player Discussion Nino "El Niño" Niederreiter

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirant

Kiprusoffarian
Dec 2, 2011
I apologize if this ground has been covered before, but the inner Winerhawks fan in my got really curious.

How is Nino doing? He really struggled to adapt to the NHL style with the Islanders (though his "deer in the headlights" was going to be inevitable - he really needed to learn that he had to hit hard to become an effective NHL presence). With the Sound Tigers, he seemed to struggle and sulk without Nelson (or the possibility of an NHL return) around. And of course came the trade demand incident.

I'm curious to see the initial reaction from Wild fans are. I loved him in Portland and it's been no secret that I'd wanted to see him and Baertschi play in Flames red just for nostalgia's sake. Stats lurking seems to indicate he's doing alright, but of course stats aren't everything.

What do you think of him?

Last edited by a moderator:

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
he's raw, but he certainly has the drive, willingness, and skill to thrive in the NHL. just needs experience. love that trade.

PoorLeadership

Oct 8, 2013
NYI got robbed big time. Watching him at the previous world championships, he hit opponents as often and even more hard than Clutterbuck, while actually being able to play the game that is ice hockey.

OpRedDawn*

I was hoping he'd throw some more hits on the forecheck, but other than that, he's been good.

He's got good hands and can definitely pass well and protect the puck. Our guys never seem to get into scoring spots though like other teams do, so we haven't seen him really get a good scoring chance yet.

Billy Mays Here*

Wait, a forward prospect of ours might develop into something good?

50246-so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-c-RHL9.jpeg

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
Playing above what i expected.

Hopefully he can translate into the quality player that everyone was hoping he would become..

isles got robbed as written earlier..

Jarick

Doing Nothing
He looks raw, but has played great. Hasn't made huge glaring mistakes or been lazy at all. His puck skills are good and he was excellent with the puck along the boards last night. Has showed good vision and executing the passes as well. Haven't seen his shot much but heard good things. The kid looks like the real deal to me.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
Playing above what i expected.

Hopefully he can translate into the quality player that everyone was hoping he would become..

isles got robbed as written earlier..

i think until hes poppin in 15G per yr we shouldnt say "isles got robbed" but thats just me!

Last edited:

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Like most people have said, he looks good. Trading Clutter and a 3rd is looking better and better as long as he continues to play solidly.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
100% love this kids energy. He goes H.A.M. when he's out there. Has some great looks and keeps it on his stick

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
You can definitely see why Nino gets the "potential" label. Good size. Good puck protection. Good vision. Good shot.

But until he just goes ahead and starts being a difference maker, it's still unknown if he's going to be a top-6 winger or pretty good 3rd line who can chip in a little offense.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Nino reminds me of Coyle from last year, except it seems he has better vision distributing the puck than Charlie had.

I think he's looked pretty impressive thus far.

MNjens

Sep 27, 2013
Per Kevin Falness: Line combo at practice today. Parise koivu NINO. Heatley Granlund and Pommer on the second

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Per Kevin Falness: Line combo at practice today. Parise koivu NINO. Heatley Granlund and Pommer on the second

Interesting. That could actually work. That is, if Heatley realizes he still plays hockey.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota

Yes... that's what i was hoping to hear after last nights game. I thought Mikko, Parise, and NINO were the best fowards, NINO especially. The kid is very strong and good at keeping his feet moving on the cycle so noone can knock him off, they're always chasing his back and and he makes plays because of it.

Parise Koivu Nino
Granlund Coyle Pominville
Cooke Brodziak Heatley/Mitchell (split ice time)
Rupp Konopka Fontain

what i want to see when everyone is healthy.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
Interesting. That could actually work. That is, if Heatley realizes he still plays hockey.

good 4 nino, hope he makes the best of top line time. as for heatr, i wonder if he would ok a trade to FLA if we kept 2.5 mill cap hit? be nice to freeup 5 mill cap!

MNjens

Sep 27, 2013
with this new line combo I could see Nino going to the next level. Should get a lot of scoring chances with Koivu, and Parise out there. I like the second line even better now too with the addition of Pommer. Granny will have 2 guys to look for out there now.

If the second line still doesn't work out with Heatley there, then he needs to be moved to the fourth line/PP

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
I hope that if nino does play on the first line, his game will jump to the next level. heatley is ruining that 2nd line. last night it should have been:

big 3
zucker-granny-nino, for the 2nd line

really want to see nino on the first, but pommer is ok there too. but it wouldnt hurt to try and spread the wealth

Haite

x
Jun 27, 2011
Man I'm glad we did that trade.

Funny how it goes. Isles mishandle Nino, he requests a trade and we end up landing a 20-year-old former fifth overall pick for a third liner and a third round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->