Player Discussion Nino "El Niño" Niederreiter

Status
Not open for further replies.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Wild fans, what's are reasonable expectations for niederreiter in the next couple of years? I see him as a 30 goal 20 assist guy who will contribute with his physicality and forechecking. Is his ceiling much higher or am I pretty close?

I think that's pretty close. He his the most of anyone on our team at the moment, which still is a lot less than a lot of players on other teams, and his goal scoring skills are really great. He has a great shot and soft hands. I think the only reason I only see him as a 30-35 goal scorer is because he lacks consistency. If he gains that eventually, he could break 40 goals and 60-65 points.
As for assists, I think he'll always be the type of player to have more goals than assists, or perhaps even amounts of goals and assists. He is not a natural playmaker by any stretch, though sometimes has surprisingly nice passes.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'll be interested to see how and if he improves his game going forward. Physically, he seems to be a finished product. I don't see him getting much faster or stronger.

Ace2008

Jun 28, 2006
actual bodyweight of Nino

I remember Nino when he started and he was big but I find him listed as 6'2/209...seems he is a bit bigger...any body have a more recent

say April 2015 stat....?

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i just remember dupuis swing & a miss 10 feet wide. then he goes to pens and is a decent player, they must have bought him new contacts! nino looked fabulous at times last year , lets hope he can build on that and produce in next years playoffs. go neo! ps hey nino if your reading this, can i have your autograph?

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
had a great 2014 post season as we all know against Colorado. I love nino and he's only 23 when this next season starts. However he needs to become the first line player that he was projected to be like a brandon saad. He isn't saad and that's what scares me. 2yrs left on his deal at 2.67 mil per on his bridge deal which is great. With Tuch and Greenway in the pipeline he's got some proving to do to say he isn't a 3rd liner and a fringe 2nd liner. However he is still young and I still think the world of him and his upside.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I love Nino, in a very manly sort of way.

I do think he has to keep pushing himself to be better, and needs to be encouraged to be a selfish, goal scoring jerk with an attitude.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Nice video - love the out of town calls.

I think the Wild will regret not having locked Nino up longer with his current contract. He's gonna be expensive if he continues his current progression.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Nice video - love the out of town calls.

I think the Wild will regret not having locked Nino up longer with his current contract. He's gonna be expensive if he continues his current progression.

Wild didn't have a choice in the matter, Nino wanted a short term bridge deal, just like Granlund wanted.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I'm sure if they floated a number out there, they could have.

Never said they didn't, but Nino knew he could hit it big if he progresses, he was adamant about getting a short bridge contract...don't you recall how close to training camp it was when the Wild finally got him signed?

Getting locked up long term was in no way in Nino's best interest.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Never said they didn't, but Nino knew he could hit it big if he progresses, he was adamant about getting a short bridge contract...don't you recall how close to training camp it was when the Wild finally got him signed?

Getting locked up long term was in no way in Nino's best interest.

Yeah, you are probably right on that. At least he will still be an RFA at that point, and just 24!

chokei

Dec 31, 2011
Zürich
What's the opinion of Wild fans on Nino this season? Not able to follow Wild games live. From what I hear his effort and all is there but his production seems underwhelming for a player that is still young and expected to improve and take the next step.

Expectations where high for Nino. People once expected him to become the first gamechanging forward at an international level for Switzerland. He showed promise in juniors and in the first few games with the Islanders. He then disappeared but was able to come back with the Wild, where he is now able to play a solid game. He also had good to very good games for the Swiss national team. But it appears that he is stagnating now and not able to take the next step.

There was an interview with Nino on Swiss TV recently. They confronted him with some claims on his NHL life, half serious half joking. One was: The rookie-bonus is used up. A point every two games is too less.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Somewhat underwhelming. Hasn't been producing, but he seems to be the 'big body' type of player that helps Zucker - Koivu perform well. I'd like to see him take the next step and begin putting up numbers.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
The whole line.. Zucker, Koivu, Nino have been MIAs for a few games. Hope that they'll find each other again. Soonish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad