Prospect Info: Nils Lundkvist: Part III

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
oof, David Rundblad. There's a name i haven't heard for some time. What a dubious history on that guy.
Traded from St. Louis Blues to Ottawa Senators for round 1 pick in the 2010 draft (Vladimir Tarasenko)
Traded from Ottawa Senators with round 2 pick in the 2012 draft (Anthony Stolarz) to Phoenix Coyotes for Kyle Turris
Traded from Arizona Coyotes with Mathieu Brisebois to Chicago Blackhawks for round 2 pick in the 2014 draft (Christian Dvorak)
Everytime a team traded for him, they got hosed. Even if just in hindsight.

apoptygma

2-5-9-11
Apr 9, 2011
oof, David Rundblad. There's a name i haven't heard for some time. What a dubious history on that guy.
Traded from St. Louis Blues to Ottawa Senators for round 1 pick in the 2010 draft (Vladimir Tarasenko)
Traded from Ottawa Senators with round 2 pick in the 2012 draft (Anthony Stolarz) to Phoenix Coyotes for Kyle Turris
Traded from Arizona Coyotes with Mathieu Brisebois to Chicago Blackhawks for round 2 pick in the 2014 draft (Christian Dvorak)

And I remember whole HF-boards did agree that Arizone got a steal in that trade when they traded the bust in Turris for the can't miss prospect in Rundblad. He was considered the next Karlsson at that time.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

And the worst part, the kid got a lot of hockey in him and also really gave it a go. It’s not like he was a bum and teams hadn’t done their DD. But the NA hockey really exposes Ds that aren’t athletic and takes time to go from moving forward to backwards. With Rundblad, it’s possible that it’s something a good training regime could’ve fixed. In this perspective it probably didn’t help him that he was moved around so much.

For me this was also an eye opener with Bereglazov. You can do just fine in Europe but still come in distinctly below the bar in the NHL. And it’s just not skating. It’s of course about how you play the game. Remember listening to Chara while mic’d up with McAvoy when he was young. I couldn’t have imagined how much they communicate and focuses on when to drop down and when to stand up. When they came up towards the offensive blueline it felt like they were racers waiting for the signal to set of at full speed dropping down while everything else in a sense was secondary.

Last edited:
Reactions: kovazub94

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
For some context, Tomas Jonsson is a member of the triple gold club, 2 Cups, 1 WCH gold and 1 OG gold.

Anyone remember him from the Islanders? I only remember him from Sweden when he was a bit older. Wonder how good he really was in the NHL.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
And I remember whole HF-boards did agree that Arizone got a steal in that trade when they traded the bust in Turris for the can't miss prospect in Rundblad. He was considered the next Karlsson at that time.

Uh he was drafted just one year after Karlsson and I think was considered the better prospect for a bit?

apoptygma

2-5-9-11
Apr 9, 2011
Uh he was drafted just one year after Karlsson and I think was considered the better prospect for a bit?

Yeah, the Rundblad/Turris trade was during the 11/12 season that also was Karlsson's real breakout. Rundblad had been part of Skellefteå's young but very talented blueline (with Tim Erixon and Adam Larsson) posting 50 points in 55 games in his D+2 season, far outdoing anything Karlsson had done in SHL. Turris was an underperforming top 3 pick that had just signed a contract after a hold-out with Arizona.

With the "what have you done for me lately"-mindset that is very common on HFBoards Rundblad was on his peak value while Turris was at his bottom value. When Ott also had to pay a 2. rounder they where the laughing-stock of the boards. A couple of years later it was clear that Ott really won that trade.

Reactions: Hi ImHFNYR

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
I knew he would outlast Tony DeAngelo. There were guys here who seriously believed this guy would never see the ice with the Rangers which might still happen. The difference is this is 1. extremely unlikely and 2. it was never going to be because of tony deangelo.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
I knew he would outlast Tony DeAngelo. There were guys here who seriously believed this guy would never see the ice with the Rangers which might still happen. The difference is this is 1. extremely unlikely and 2. it was never going to be because of tony deangelo.
. Sorry but who said he would not outlast deangelo? Universally fans said Tony d would be gone To make room for nils

Reactions: mas0764

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
. Sorry but who said he would not outlast deangelo? Universally fans said Tony d would be gone To make room for nils
I wish I had replied to it so I could go grab it right now but I saw someone saying we should trade Nils and keep ADA in the thread about ADA's value (I think it was that thread)

ONe thing I've learned. Never listen to a word the people on here say about Dmen. Especially if it's commentary focused almost exclusively on scoring and offense

Phnxldr

Apr 4, 2018
Nils Lundkvist, come on down. Is there a possibility he signs when the SHL season ends?

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
Yeah, the Rundblad/Turris trade was during the 11/12 season that also was Karlsson's real breakout. Rundblad had been part of Skellefteå's young but very talented blueline (with Tim Erixon and Adam Larsson) posting 50 points in 55 games in his D+2 season, far outdoing anything Karlsson had done in SHL. Turris was an underperforming top 3 pick that had just signed a contract after a hold-out with Arizona.

With the "what have you done for me lately"-mindset that is very common on HFBoards Rundblad was on his peak value while Turris was at his bottom value. When Ott also had to pay a 2. rounder they where the laughing-stock of the boards. A couple of years later it was clear that Ott really won that trade.

Rundblad was quite the story. Don't forget, Rundblad was traded to OTT so the Blues could draft Tarasenko. Whenever Rundblad was traded, the acquiring team lost the trade.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Nils Lundkvist, come on down. Is there a possibility he signs when the SHL season ends?

We should post this as an announcement somewhere but:

Nils Lundkvist is contracted to both Luleå and the Swedish ice hockey federation as he is a national team player.

The SHL play offs end mid-May, but the international hockey calendar runs through to mid-June. With the NHL in full swing around the time of the World Championships, Lundkvist is a serious candidate to make the Swedish national team.

If that's the case, he will be playing hockey until mid-June and under contract until June 30th. For Lundkvist to move to NA before that, he would have to be released by both club and country.

I got this information from the PR manager of Luleå who I talk to regularly.

NYR425

Sep 30, 2005
We should post this as an announcement somewhere but:

Nils Lundkvist is contracted to both Luleå and the Swedish ice hockey federation as he is a national team player.

The SHL play offs end mid-May, but the international hockey calendar runs through to mid-June. With the NHL in full swing around the time of the World Championships, Lundkvist is a serious candidate to make the Swedish national team.

If that's the case, he will be playing hockey until mid-June and under contract until June 30th. For Lundkvist to move to NA before that, he would have to be released by both club and country.

I got this information from the PR manager of Luleå who I talk to regularly.

Quick question, I seem to recall in a lot of his video Nils playing his off side. Does he play his off side regularly in Sweden or is it just on the Power Play? If he does I was thinking a defense that looks like this would be awesome. The pairs aren't necessary in order I just placed who I thought compliments who the best. I think with how steady Nils is he is the perfect compliment for Trouba with Trouba's size there for Nils. I like Lindgren and Fox together and think Schneider's steady defense first style would compliment Millers style. Thoughts?? Think this has the makings of a top notch NHL defense for years to come

Miller - Schneider
Lindgren - Fox
Nils- Trouba
Robertson

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Quick question, I seem to recall in a lot of his video Nils playing his off side. Does he play his off side regularly in Sweden or is it just on the Power Play? If he does I was thinking a defense that looks like this would be awesome. The pairs aren't necessary in order I just placed who I thought compliments who the best. I think with how steady Nils is he is the perfect compliment for Trouba with Trouba's size there for Nils. I like Lindgren and Fox together and think Schneider's steady defense first style would compliment Millers style. Thoughts?? Think this has the makings of a top notch NHL defense for years to come

Miller - Schneider
Lindgren - Fox
Nils- Trouba
Robertson

Lundkvist sets up on the left side on the PP because that's what good coaches do. It gives the defenseman an easier path to the goal for a shot off the draw.

In open play, he moves laterally a lot so it doesn't matter much. He does seem more comfortable defensively on the right side, and offensively on the left.

With DeAngelo gone, Lundkvist's path to the NHL is a little easier. Schneider is still a year or 2 away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad