Prospect Info: Nils Lundkvist: Part III

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
So I just drafted this guy in my fantasy league. What did I get? Who’s a comp for him? Thanks for any info.

If he works out, you'll have a solid puck-moving two-way defenseman. The modern day defensive defenseman.

He probably isn't going to put up a tonne of points (20-30 range maybe), but his strong transition game could pay off if we turn out to be a quick strike team once our kids develop.

He'll eat up minutes and be trusted in important situations, though we are currently stacked at RD, so we'll have to wait and see how it fits together.

I'm not sure about a comp. Hampus Lindholm perhaps.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Jagge11

Dec 13, 2018
So far 14 points in 23 games. He also played with Erik Gustafsson for the first time this game since last season.

Primary assist

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
So far 14 points in 23 games. He also played with Erik Gustafsson for the first time this game since last season.

Primary assist

Wow, very difficult and underrated pass to make that was a bit in front of him to start with.

Reactions: bl02

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
10 points in his last 11 games but the doubters all of a sudden have disappeared
But the offense doesn't matter. That's not the part of his game that matters. Right? :laugh:

I mean that's the thing, Steve. You, the Rangers, everyone focused so heavily on his offensive output last season. After every game it was something about his scoring and where it stacked up historically. Best offensive season for a U21 player ever, or whatever it was! So naturally, when the offense wasn't there this season, people were like, hey, what's going on? You're as culpable as anyone for creating this beast. You talk up his offense for a whole year and then that becomes the focal point--whether that's actually his bread and butter or not.

You've spent considerable bandwidth this season explaining that the offense is just the icing on the cake, and that isn't what makes him so good. And then...you run in here to post a "neener neener" comment about his offense.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
But the offense doesn't matter. That's not the part of his game that matters. Right? :laugh:

I mean that's the thing, Steve. You, the Rangers, everyone focused so heavily on his offensive output last season. After every game it was something about his scoring and where it stacked up historically. Best offensive season for a U21 player ever, or whatever it was! So naturally, when the offense wasn't there this season, people were like, hey, what's going on? You're as culpable as anyone for creating this beast. You talk up his offense for a whole year and then that becomes the focal point--whether that's actually his bread and butter or not.

You've spent considerable bandwidth this season explaining that the offense is just the icing on the cake, and that isn't what makes him so good. And then...you run in here to post a "neener neener" comment about his offense.

The offense isn't the most important thing about his game. I always said that. But it mattered to the people criticizing his season. That was the point of my post. They're silent now.

carminejr

Sep 14, 2020

loves moving the goalposts. views any form of criticism as an existential threat to the rangers farm system and by extension, his way of life

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Can anyone update Nils and where his game is now? The previous thread just seemed like a pissing match and I'd like to get some actual updates on the player

Reactions: Cag29

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Can anyone update Nils and where his game is now? The previous thread just seemed like a pissing match and I'd like to get some actual updates on the player

He has progressed nicely over the last 12 months or so. He's playing a different role now on the 2nd pairing and what he has improved the most IMO is his decision-making. I always felt his strongest assets were his gap control and lateral movement which are great for a defenseman but now he has changed the way he plays to be more calculated and less opportunistic.

He was diagnosed with COVID-19 in November which affected his game a little, missing practice but overall I think he has been good even though his production has taken a hit early on. IMO his offensive production was never the prime indicator of his talent.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Imo at his size he better put up points or he’s not going to ever be a guy that you look at as a core piece of the blueline.

So it’s good to see him scoring as he should. Icing on the cake? no he’s not some lidstrom level defensive dman either. So the points need to come they aren’t icing on the cake for a guy built like Kendal scofield

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
He has progressed nicely over the last 12 months or so. He's playing a different role now on the 2nd pairing and what he has improved the most IMO is his decision-making. I always felt his strongest assets were his gap control and lateral movement which are great for a defenseman but now he has changed the way he plays to be more calculated and less opportunistic.

He was diagnosed with COVID-19 in November which affected his game a little, missing practice but overall I think he has been good even though his production has taken a hit early on. IMO his offensive production was never the prime indicator of his talent.

AK, noooo, he's supposed to come in and immediately match Tony D's production!!!

;)

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Imo at his size he better put up points or he’s not going to ever be a guy that you look at as a core piece of the blueline.

So it’s good to see him scoring as he should. Icing on the cake? no he’s not some lidstrom level defensive dman either. So the points need to come they aren’t icing on the cake for a guy built like Kendal scofield

Eh I dunno. Jared Spurgeon is a shrimp and not a massive point producer, I'd take a player like him in a heartbeat.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
AK, noooo, he's supposed to come in and immediately match Tony D's production!!!
Not match. Make him and any other on that side of the ice, expendable.

I like Lunqvist a lot as a prospect and believe that he certainly has an NHL future and is one of the better prospects not at the NHL level. But it is a rather odd exercise of projecting out the future and claiming that his play in Sweden makes for other players to be expendable.

I actually believe that he will be an asset that will eventually as a part of a package that will bring in Trouba's partner.

What would also make sense a possible prospect for prospect trade tat two franchises may have.

Reactions: Rongomania

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Eh I dunno. Jared Spurgeon is a shrimp and not a massive point producer, I'd take a player like him in a heartbeat.

spurgeon is a heck of a smart defensive dman though. That’s not necessarily lundkvists game either is what I’m saying. At that size you better put up points or be really good defensively. Both would be great but you’re not going to be a core player if you can’t at least do one or the other as an undersized Dman

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
spurgeon is a heck of a smart defensive dman though. That’s not necessarily lundkvists game either is what I’m saying. At that size you better put up points or be really good defensively. Both would be great but you’re not going to be a core player if you can’t at least do one or the other as an undersized Dman

Nils is pretty heady though. I don't think hes going to be a big point producer in the NHL either but his all around game is pretty solid.

Then again, I don't think he's going to be Ranger property for long #tradebait.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

I like Lunqvist a lot as a prospect and believe that he certainly has an NHL future and is one of the better prospects not at the NHL level. But it is a rather odd exercise of projecting out the future and claiming that his play in Sweden makes for other players to be expendable.

I actually believe that he will be an asset that will eventually as a part of a package that will bring in Trouba's partner.

What would also make sense a possible prospect for prospect trade tat two franchises may have.

Lundkvist doesn't make ADA expendable, Fox does. One of Lundkvist or Schneider are likely to replace him only in the sense of taking the spot on the 3rd pair, not necessarily replacing what ADA does on the ice.

ADA will provide more value than Lundkvist in a trade for a LD or center. It's possible that Lundkvist still gets moved if Schneider proves he is capable, but I don't think we'll see a scenario where ADA is still on this team in 2 years.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood

I think him being this good gives us tons of options for our team going forward. Such an important prospect and I'm so glad he keeps trending up.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Maybe Steven went a bid off track in choosing a strategy to defend Lundkvist* but if you HAD to make a point - it would be toward those who screamed bloody murder based on a tiny sample size when Lundkvist started the season slow offensively.

*Steve did mentioned a changed role for Lundkvist this season.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Maybe Steven went a bid off track in choosing a strategy to defend Lundkvist* but if you HAD to make a point - it would be toward those who screamed bloody murder based on a tiny sample size when Lundkvist started the season slow offensively.

*Steve did mentioned a changed role for Lundkvist this season.
Yeah I get it. I guess my point is that the people who were crying about his offense by and large are those who are pretty clueless in general or have really bad takes, and it's better to ignore those types of posters than to try to prove them wrong, or whatever.

The people that actually pay attention know the offense isn't his calling card, and the people that don't either don't care or won't care. Better to leave them be than engage. Because you know what? When you come in to point to his offensive hot streak, they'll be emboldened to sit, wait, and pounce on his next steak of four or five games without a point. JMO, though. I'm not the board arbiter of what can and cannot be argued. :laugh:

In general I just find the "SEE! TOLD YA!!!1!" comments to be less than useful for promoting interesting and genuine discourse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad