Prospect Info: Nils Lundkvist: Part III

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
You guys are smoking some good stuff (please share) if you believe a player like Eichel can be had for a package like that. Negotiations would have to include Lafreniere for Buffalo to even look at it.

Funny too how you think other teams would value all of these players that obviously are not huge pieces likely in NYR's future. Miller possibly and Buchnevich can still get better, but some top players can't be kept due to cap constraints.

1) We are talking about an “Eichel wants out,” scenario, not where we are paying to talk Buffalo into selling him to us.

2) Name another package a Superstar has brought back more in the last decade, we’ll wait.

3) Name a team that could beat our offer without gutting themselves.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
1) We are talking about an “Eichel wants out,” scenario, not where we are paying to talk Buffalo into selling him to us.

2) Name another package a Superstar has brought back more in the last decade, we’ll wait.

3) Name a team that could beat our offer without gutting themselves.
You tell me what superstar WITH TERM has requested a trade in the last decadeS?? Biggest one is Lindros and the Nordiques killed the Flyers in that deal. Do you remember what the Rangers offered for Lindros? What did disgruntled Alexei Yashin get from NYI? Just Zdeno Chara and Jason Spezza! Contract problem with Pat Lafontaine got fair return for NYI in Pierre Turgeon. Only recent deal that involves just a very good player is Matt Duchesne and Avalanche were huge winners in that deal too. Eichel is locked up for what 6 more years including this one? He will score 100 points one day soon. Every team in the league would want him if they could afford cap hit and you think offering players like Ada and Buchnevich and a mid first round pick will be enough?
Los Angeles Anaheim and Ottawa could easily beat what you are offering. Buffalo could wait until other teams created cap space if necessary. Like I said what team wouldn’t want a 24 year old superstar centre locked up for 6 years?
Sorry that hearing someone with a different opinion upsets you so much. I am huge hockey fan who is very high on the Rangers. They will be a top and exciting team to watch for a very long time. Ranger fans have a lot to be excited about. However all I am saying is that if you want a player like Eichel it would take Lafreniere PLUS PLUS to get him. The pluses would have to be significant like 2 more top prospects that Sabres really like. Eichel is a sure thing. Even Lafreniere is not a guarantee.

Last edited:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
You tell me what superstar WITH TERM has requested a trade in the last decadeS?? Biggest one is Lindros and the Nordiques killed the Flyers in that deal. Do you remember what the Rangers offered for Lindros? What did disgruntled Alexei Yashin get from NYI? Just Zdeno Chara and Jason Spezza! Contract problem with Pat Lafontaine got fair return for NYI in Pierre Turgeon. Only recent deal that involves just a very good player is Matt Duchesne and Avalanche were huge winners in that deal too. Eichel is locked up for what 6 more years including this one? He will score 100 points one day soon. Every team in the league would want him if they could afford cap hit and you think offering players like Ada and Buchnevich and a mid first round pick will be enough?
Los Angeles Anaheim and Ottawa could easily beat what you are offering. Buffalo could wait until other teams created cap space if necessary. Like I said what team wouldn’t want a 24 year old superstar centre locked up for 6 years?
Sorry that hearing someone with a different opinion upsets you so much. I am huge hockey fan who is very high on the Rangers. They will be a top and exciting team to watch for a very long time. Ranger fans have a lot to be excited about. However all I am saying is that if you want a player like Eichel it would take Lafreniere PLUS PLUS to get him. The pluses would have to be significant like 2 more top prospects that Sabres really like. Eichel is a sure thing. Even Lafreniere is not a guarantee.

If the support for your argument has to stretch back 20+ years (and in 2 cases, 30+ years) when there was no salary cap, then you don't really have an argument.

If Eichel's problem with Buffalo is lack of winning, why the hell would he even want to go to LA or Ottawa? One team is rebuilding and the other is notorious for being a tire fire with a cheap owner. I know that he doesn't get to pick his spot, but I can't imagine a team would ever trade for a player if he doesn't want to be there, ESPECIALLY if he's going to be as expensive as you think he's going to be in terms of assets and as expensive as we already know he is salary wise. There are some owners out there who just can't or will not commit that much money to a single player too, especially with a pending no movement clause looming the season after next.

Also you can't just snap your fingers and open up cap space, that itself comes at a premium. Not to mention that there are a ton of teams out there who simply cannot open up enough space just by murdering their current roster, those are almost always the competitive teams. Have you seen the hoops teams have had to jump through to open up space before this season started? That was JUST to become compliant, let alone find a way to open up 10 million dollars worth of space to add another player WHILE sending assets out.

As far as Star players who have demanded a trade? Erik Karlsson like 2 years ago lmao. Now the 1.5 seasons vs 5 (not 6, Eichel will not get traded in season) years of control make a difference for sure.

How about Joe Thornton? He was in a pretty identical situation in Boston when he got traded. That it self was almost 16 years ago, but that at least took place in the cap era, which is more relevant than dipping back into the days of Pat Lafontaine, Alexei Yashin and Eric Lindros.

Here are other guys who have been traded within the last 10 years (not 30) under our current cap structure who are a rung below talent wise, but were star players themselves:

Subban
Richards (Mike)
Carter
Nash
Kessel (Tor to Pitt, this one had salary retention too)

I feel tempted to throw Seguin and Hall in there as well, but those were Chiarelli specials. Regardless, I'm sure that I'm forgetting a few.

I don't even know why you're here trying to lecture us on fair trade value when you yourself have no clue what the modern market is like. Lafreniere plus plus? Lol and you WONDER why you're catching heat.

Buchnevich, DeAngelo and a 1st is not realistic either, but it's much, much, MUCH closer than what you're proposing.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

If you’re such a big hockey fan and in touch with what’s going on with the Rangers then you probably don’t need to go back 30 years for an example. In fact the Rangers own move to bring Nash is a much closely matched example. Eichel is great but he’s a top-tier player who’s just below superstardom on a team that struggled to make playoffs or he couldn’t turn into a playoff caliber... same as Nash was viewed when he asked for a trade.
The package in the post you originally replied to was significantly higher in quality than Dubinsky, Anisimov, Erixon and 1st that were moved for Nash (and Buchnevich : ) ).
Lafreniere PLUS PLUS? Get the f*** out of here.

Last edited:

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
You tell me what superstar WITH TERM has requested a trade in the last decadeS?? Biggest one is Lindros and the Nordiques killed the Flyers in that deal. Do you remember what the Rangers offered for Lindros? What did disgruntled Alexei Yashin get from NYI? Just Zdeno Chara and Jason Spezza! Contract problem with Pat Lafontaine got fair return for NYI in Pierre Turgeon.
Sorry, but your argument really looses credibility when you need to go back that far. Why not take it a step further and revisit the Gretzky trade? Or the Rick Middleton one?

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
If you’re such a big hockey fan and in touch with what’s going on with the Rangers then you probably don’t need to go back 30 years for an example. In fact the Rangers own move to bring Nash is a much closely matched example. Eichel is great but he’s a top-tier player who’s just below superstardom on a team that struggled to make playoffs or he couldn’t turn into a playoff caliber... same as Nash was viewed when he asked for a trade.
The package in the post you originally replied to was significantly higher in quality than Dubinsky, Anisimov, Erixon and 1st that were moved for Nash (and Buchnevich : ) ).
Lafreniere PLUS PLUS? Get the f*** out of here.
Nash is a decent comparable, but Eichel is better and a centre too which is worth more. Eichel is a superstar. Hockey is a team sport. Its not basketball. Some big differences are that in the Nash deal the Rangers had huge leverage as Nash only gave permission to be traded to 5 teams and the Rangers were the only ones in position to make the trade. IF Eichel says he only wants to go to the Rangers then yes they won't have to give up quite as much as Laf plus plus, but the minumum will be a lot more than ADA Buch etc. Some big prospects that the Sabres love will have to be included.

A pretty good example is what the Rangers gave up to get Adam Fox who made it pretty clear he wanted to come to the Rangers and would even play out his last year in college and sign with NYR a year later. Yet the Rangers STILL gave up 2 second rounders for him! A coveted player will be worth a ton even IF they want out. Rangers could have had him for absolutely nothing if they waited a year.

Last edited:

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
If the support for your argument has to stretch back 20+ years (and in 2 cases, 30+ years) when there was no salary cap, then you don't really have an argument.

If Eichel's problem with Buffalo is lack of winning, why the hell would he even want to go to LA or Ottawa? One team is rebuilding and the other is notorious for being a tire fire with a cheap owner. I know that he doesn't get to pick his spot, but I can't imagine a team would ever trade for a player if he doesn't want to be there, ESPECIALLY if he's going to be as expensive as you think he's going to be in terms of assets and as expensive as we already know he is salary wise. There are some owners out there who just can't or will not commit that much money to a single player too, especially with a pending no movement clause looming the season after next.

Also you can't just snap your fingers and open up cap space, that itself comes at a premium. Not to mention that there are a ton of teams out there who simply cannot open up enough space just by murdering their current roster, those are almost always the competitive teams. Have you seen the hoops teams have had to jump through to open up space before this season started? That was JUST to become compliant, let alone find a way to open up 10 million dollars worth of space to add another player WHILE sending assets out.

As far as Star players who have demanded a trade? Erik Karlsson like 2 years ago lmao. Now the 1.5 seasons vs 5 (not 6, Eichel will not get traded in season) years of control make a difference for sure.

How about Joe Thornton? He was in a pretty identical situation in Boston when he got traded. That it self was almost 16 years ago, but that at least took place in the cap era, which is more relevant than dipping back into the days of Pat Lafontaine, Alexei Yashin and Eric Lindros.

Here are other guys who have been traded within the last 10 years (not 30) under our current cap structure who are a rung below talent wise, but were star players themselves:

Subban
Richards (Mike)
Carter
Nash
Kessel (Tor to Pitt, this one had salary retention too)

I feel tempted to throw Seguin and Hall in there as well, but those were Chiarelli specials. Regardless, I'm sure that I'm forgetting a few.

I don't even know why you're here trying to lecture us on fair trade value when you yourself have no clue what the modern market is like. Lafreniere plus plus? Lol and you WONDER why you're catching heat.

Buchnevich, DeAngelo and a 1st is not realistic either, but it's much, much, MUCH closer than what you're proposing.
You are correct he would likely not want to go to LA or Ottawa, but they have better ownership, fanbase, history, current team, prospect pool, better city to live etc. Many factors to consider. Those were just the obvious teams that could easily beat the proposals mentioned. 2 teams that could and likely would offer more are Philadelphia and NYI. Philly has tons of young high end players they could trade including Frost, Farabee, Lindblom, Sanheim etc. They could give Couturier too and throw in Gostisbehere for free. NYI could give Barzal and Dobson and Wahlstrom. Easily better than proposals I have seen here.

Your examples are not good comparables. Subban? He didn't want out and Weber is much better than Subban LOL. Karlsson had an expiring contract and was 28 years old AND the Senators have easily won that trade. They got Josh Norris who is going to be very good AND Tim Stutzle! You are laughing about that trade as one of your best comparables? They got more on top of that but Norris and Stutzle alone is an amazing return, of course San Jose didn't think they would stink that bad, but still. Also if a player is on an expring contract of course they must get what they can. Huge difference with Eichel as he has 6 more years on his contract. Kessel was different as the team wanted to trade him as they were rebuilding and he was getting booed by the fans. Not a good comparable. Joe Thornton didn't ask for a trade either. It was media and management driven. I believe Richards also did not ask for a trade, but anyway the trade was a pretty fair one as they got Wayne Simmonds and Brayden Schenn in return. Win for the other team AGAIN!

You are right you can't just snap open up cap space, but that is why the 6 years left on the contract would give the Sabres plenty of time to wait for the right deal to come along. Teams that want to win now like the Flyers would be willing a lot for a superstar centre who could put them over the top. If Eichel does ask for a trade I see the Flyers as the best bet if they are willing to give fair value. If the Rangers aren't adding Lafreniere to a deal they aren't getting a player like Eichel. End of story.

Last edited:

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
Sorry, but your argument really looses credibility when you need to go back that far. Why not take it a step further and revisit the Gretzky trade? Or the Rick Middleton one?
That's because there aren't many good comparables. Please let me know when you have a good one that supports your argument that Eichel could be had for ADA, Buchnevich and a 1st. :popcorn:

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
That's because there aren't many good comparables. Please let me know when you have a good one that supports your argument that Eichel could be had for ADA, Buchnevich and a 1st. :popcorn:

Those pieces also don't really address Buffalo's needs... They have wingers. They have a pretty solid defense. If wingers/defense are going to be big parts of an Eichel package, they need to be CLEAR upgrades on what they already have (and as much as I love Buch and ADA, they aren't that) or they need to offer similar quality with lower price/cost control (whereas Buch/ADA are already on 2nd contracts).

I figure that a goalie would be a given--either Georgiev or one of the prospects if they prefer.
A 1st rounder would be a given.
A roster player with star upside would be a given.

I could see an offer like: Georgiev, Kakko, Chytil or Lundkvist, and a 1st for Eichel. If push came to shove, I'd make that "or" an "and" and offer both Chytil and Nils. I like all of these players, but Eichel is a #1 center signed to term, and all of the pieces we'd be offering here would be in positions that would still be well covered.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
You are correct he would likely not want to go to LA or Ottawa, but they have better ownership, fanbase, history, current team, prospect pool, better city to live etc. Many factors to consider. Those were just the obvious teams that could easily beat the proposals mentioned. 2 teams that could and likely would offer more are Philadelphia and NYI. Philly has tons of young high end players they could trade including Frost, Farabee, Lindblom, Sanheim etc. They could give Couturier too and throw in Gostisbehere for free. NYI could give Barzal and Dobson and Wahlstrom. Easily better than proposals I have seen here.

Your examples are not good comparables. Subban? He didn't want out and Weber is much better than Subban LOL. Karlsson had an expiring contract and was 28 years old AND the Senators have easily won that trade. They got Josh Norris who is going to be very good AND Tim Stutzle! You are laughing about that trade as one of your best comparables? They got more on top of that but Norris and Stutzle alone is an amazing return, of course San Jose didn't think they would stink that bad, but still. Also if a player is on an expring contract of course they must get what they can. Huge difference with Eichel as he has 6 more years on his contract. Kessel was different as the team wanted to trade him as they were rebuilding and he was getting booed by the fans. Not a good comparable. Joe Thornton didn't ask for a trade either. It was media and management driven. I believe Richards also did not ask for a trade, but anyway the trade was a pretty fair one as they got Wayne Simmonds and Brayden Schenn in return. Win for the other team AGAIN!

You are right you can't just snap open up cap space, but that is why the 6 years left on the contract would give the Sabres plenty of time to wait for the right deal to come along. Teams that want to win now like the Flyers would be willing a lot for a superstar centre who could put them over the top. If Eichel does ask for a trade I see the Flyers as the best bet if they are willing to give fair value. If the Rangers aren't adding Lafreniere to a deal they aren't getting a player like Eichel. End of story.
The Rangers have one of the best owners in the sport. He lets the hockey people run the show while giving them basically unlimtied funds to work with. The rest of those are your opinion, and may not be Eichel's.

Anyway, it would be cool if you could vacate our Nils Lundkvist thread and let it get back to the topic at hand.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
You are correct he would likely not want to go to LA or Ottawa, but they have better ownership, fanbase, history, current team, t pool, better city to live etc. Many factors to consider. Those were just the obvious teams that could easily beat the proposals mentioned. 2 teams that could and likely would offer more are Philadelphia and NYI. Philly has tons of young high end players they could trade including Frost, Farabee, Lindblom, Sanheim etc. They could give Couturier too and throw in Gostisbehere for free. NYI could give Barzal and Dobson and Wahlstrom. Easily better than proposals I have seen here.

Lmao the level of arrogance in this post is golden.

So the flyers don't have to give up anyone close to Lafreniere but the Rangers would have to give up Lafreniere PLUS PLUS?

Again, I kindly ask you to get the f*** out of here.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The most recent market comp is Nash. I would say for Eichel, you are probably looking at Chytil, Lundqvist, Buchnevich and a 1st. Maybe one can sub in DeAngelo for Buchnevich.

One cannot evaluate trades from the pre-cap era as comps to a capped era.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The most recent market comp is Nash. I would say for Eichel, you are probably looking at Chytil, Lundqvist, Buchnevich and a 1st. Maybe one can sub in DeAngelo for Buchnevich.

One cannot evaluate trades from the pre-cap era as comps to a capped era.

Unless you're the Flyers! Then you can offer up a year away from UFA Couturier who would never re-sign in Buffalo, a prospect and a roster player.

Rangers? LAF PLUS PLUS!

Anyway, back to Nils

Reactions: RGY

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Since we've discussed the possibility of Kravtsov coming back to NA later this season after the KHL season/playoffs end, is there a chance that Nils would sign an AHL tryout deal to get some time in with Hartford?

I know @Amazing Kreiderman has mentioned Nils being expected to sign his ELC after this season, but I wasn't sure if there were any updates on whether or not he'd try to get some AHL time this year.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Since we've discussed the possibility of Kravtsov coming back to NA later this season after the KHL season/playoffs end, is there a chance that Nils would sign an AHL tryout deal to get some time in with Hartford?

I know @Amazing Kreiderman has mentioned Nils being expected to sign his ELC after this season, but I wasn't sure if there were any updates on whether or not he'd try to get some AHL time this year.

A PTO for Lundkvist is possible. Last season that was the plan. They even had the jerseys ready to go in Hartford for Lundkvist.

But it all depends on when he is released. He is under contract with not just his team but also the Swedish federation as a NT player, and the IIHF WC ends June 6th so that is the date I would look at. Without NHL players at the Worlds, Lundkvist's odds of making the team are pretty good.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
A PTO for Lundkvist is possible. Last season that was the plan. They even had the jerseys ready to go in Hartford for Lundkvist.

But it all depends on when he is released. He is under contract with not just his team but also the Swedish federation as a NT player, and the IIHF WC ends June 6th so that is the date I would look at. Without NHL players at the Worlds, Lundkvist's odds of making the team are pretty good.

Wouldn't the Rangers be able to initiate a transfer - I was under the impression they could do it at any point of the season as long as the transfer fee is paid? Was or wrong? Or would it require Nils signing contract with the Rangers instead of with Hartford?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Wouldn't the Rangers be able to initiate a transfer - I was under the impression they could do it at any point of the season as long as the transfer fee is paid? Was or wrong? Or would it require Nils signing contract with the Rangers instead of with Hartford?

The transfer agreement has a window that opens July 1st, and closes August 15th.

Once the deadline of August 15th passes, a player cannot sign an NHL contract unless they are free agents (i.e. contract termination)

Reactions: kovazub94

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I'm probably wrong, but I think it would require him to sign his ELC, which would end up burning a year off of it. If we can do it and it fits within the timetable, the PTO seems like the best option to get some games in for him before heading into the offseason.

It's also probably not necessary to rush him over just yet and let him get the extra time training with the Swedish national team like AK said. We could just let him have the offseason to get his legs fresh and be ready for training camp when things are hopefully returned (relatively) to normal later this year.

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
The transfer agreement has a window that opens July 1st, and closes August 15th.

Once the deadline of August 15th passes, a player cannot sign an NHL contract unless they are free agents (i.e. contract termination)
I thought I saw reports it was possible to get out sooner, but from interviews it sounds like Nils wants to win championship this year. Unfortunately for the Rangers he is on a really good team and playoffs could last another 7 weeks once the season ends sometime in March.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I thought I saw reports it was possible to get out sooner, but from interviews it sounds like Nils wants to win championship this year. Unfortunately for the Rangers he is on a really good team and playoffs could last another 7 weeks once the season ends sometime in March.

It's only possible to sign sooner if he is released from those contracts. In that case he would be considered a free agent and the NHL doesn't have to pay a transfer fee

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

In what world do the Kings and Senators have better history than the Rangers? Unless you mean the recent cups for the Kings, that's not really history and the team sucks now. The Kings also do not have a better fanbase than the Rangers. Also, I bet 9 out of 10 people would prefer NYC to Ottawa. Why are you trolling this thread anyway?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad