Prospect Info: Nils Höglander

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
and now we know with how trash his debut has been
its even wore than Kakko's which was out of this world bad.

I sure wouldn't have guessed that he would be struggling the way he has; probably he will get things straightened out. However, I also have no idea why the term "generational" would've been tagged onto this player when his junior stats were nothing close to that level.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Weirdly I thought he was quiet last night and ended up with 2 points. Those were coming.

He’s not fast enough to get away with not striding.

What a fun player to watch.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Looking like a legit first line player who can drive play. Production would be at that level as well with better luck and first line powerplay time.

A revelation and speeds everything up adding another core piece.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
If the second unit starts producing, which they usually get 1/3 of our PP goals, then I think he has a chance to win it. He is extremely consistent, even in the most brutal part of the schedule, so it wouldn't surprise me to see him still getting points late in the year, while the other front runners fall off a bit.

Another note on his game - he is so poised in his own end. He doesn't panic when he is pressured, and is capable of delivery a good break-out pass, as we saw with the Pearson chance.

Last time the 2nd pp unit got a goal was last year in a game against Mon. Going back to last regular season/playoff and the first 20 games of this year. Canucks has gone 40 games without a goal from the 2nd pp unit. Pearson did score a ppg a few games ago and last year playoffs however Pettersson and Hughes were still on the ice so I don't really considered that as a 2nd pp unit goal.

I might be wrong, I don't think a 2nd pp unit gets around 1/3 of the goals. They probably did last year but that was more of an outlier. The last time the Canucks had a 2nd pp unit that scored like last year was probably 10 years ago in 2009/2010 when Kesler and Ehrhoff were on the 2nd unit.

I don't believe Higlander will get more than 0.4 to 0.5 ppg this year

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Somewhat off topic but watching the Canucks draft players like Hoglander and Demko in the second round really has hammered home just how costly trading away a lot of draft picks during this rebuild has been. Imagine how good the young players and prospect pool would be if the team had more than the allotted picks each year rather than less. Damn! We finally get good at drafting but don’t seem to see any value in acquiring picks.

lennor

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhat off topic but watching the Canucks draft players like Hoglander and Demko in the second round really has hammered home just how costly trading away a lot of draft picks during this rebuild has been. Imagine how good the young players and prospect pool would be if the team had more than the allotted picks each year rather than less. Damn! We finally get good at drafting but don’t seem to see any value in acquiring picks.
I agree with you but also have to remember that odds of getting an nhler past round 1 is somewhere around 20 percent(don’t remember the exact number). All picks past the 1st round really is a lottery ticket. Look at the Lind/Gad draft. Don’t thing many on this board are confident about their chances.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
No doubt about it....and when you look at the players that cost the Canucks second-rounders, the list includes,: Vey, Baertschi; Sutter; Gudbranson and Tofoli...and those are the only ones I can remember. And the only guy still here is Sutter, who undoubtedly walks in the off-season.

Jimbo has often been quoted as saying he 'hates' trading draft picks....so why does he keep doing it?

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
No doubt about it....and when you look at the players that cost the Canucks second-rounders, the list includes,: Vey, Baertschi; Sutter; Gudbranson and Tofoli...and those are the only ones I can remember. And the only guy still here is Sutter, who undoubtedly walks in the off-season.

Jimbo has often been quoted as saying he 'hates' trading draft picks....so why does he keep doing it?

Benning also said he was going to turn the Canucks around "quickly"...

...in 2014.

Either too dumb to know what he's saying or too dumb to do what he says.

Reactions: I am toxic

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

The worst kind of hate is self-loathing.

Ask me how I kno . . . well, no need really . . .

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I agree with you but also have to remember that odds of getting an nhler past round 1 is somewhere around 20 percent(don’t remember the exact number). All picks past the 1st round really is a lottery ticket. Look at the Lind/Gad draft. Don’t thing many on this board are confident about their chances.
Closer to 50% for 2nd round picks. Look through the 2008-2015 NHL drafts on hockeydb to get an feel for what to reasonably expect.

Regardless....Hoglander looks like a decent impact player, which is a homerun outside of the first round.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008

The point is if the Canucks had been acquiring extra picks every year in their 5 years in the basement of the league they could have had 10+ extra picks in rounds 2-4, which would probably have led to 2 or 3 of them panning out.

Instead the canucks tried "retooling" instead of rebuilding for pretty much all of that time.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Closer to 50% for 2nd round picks. Look through the 2008-2015 NHL drafts on hockeydb to get an feel for what to reasonably expect.

Regardless....Hoglander looks like a decent impact player, which is a homerun outside of the first round.

It's not anywhere close to 50%, I guess it really depend on how you're measuring 50%. If you look at regular, it is way closer to 20%. I looked at 2012 2nd round picks. Seven players over 200 plus games, all the players that became top 6 F/top 4 D. There is like one I am showing and that is Severson.

Yes I agree that Linden/Benning should of got more picks but to act like there would of been so much better off is not that realistic.
Considering so few 2nd round picks become impact players.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Calderlander.

From Calderland.
Two more points last night that brings him up to NINE points on the season in only 20 games but has played so good and missed some great chances that HES created so i can actually see him INCREASE his points per game as the season continues to ROAR on and he deserves it too the way he has played I have to say I havent been this excited for a Canucks rookie since Hughes which was only last year i guess weve been spoiled with rookies but Hoggy is not obviously on that level but we keep getting suprised so lets not put a limit on what he can do at this point as this will not be the DEEPEST rookie crop this season anyways so I think its VERY realistic that he could end up getting nominated by the Calder and i think hes earned it and if Pettersson gets his legs going and the two of them get paired together and find some chemistry than our Hogger will definitely enter his name in the Calder race which would be FOUR seasons in a row that Canucks players have been Calder candidates thats Boeser Pettersson Hughes and hopefully this Hoggerson

Man I love this player :yo:

Reactions: Peen and I am toxic

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Two more points last night that brings him up to NINE points on the season in only 20 games but has played so good and missed some great chances that HES created so i can actually see him INCREASE his points per game as the season continues to ROAR on and he deserves it too the way he has played I have to say I havent been this excited for a Canucks rookie since Hughes which was only last year i guess weve been spoiled with rookies but Hoggy is not obviously on that level but we keep getting suprised so lets not put a limit on what he can do at this point as this will not be the DEEPEST rookie crop this season anyways so I think its VERY realistic that he could end up getting nominated by the Calder and i think hes earned it and if Pettersson gets his legs going and the two of them get paired together and find some chemistry than our Hogger will definitely enter his name in the Calder race which would be FOUR seasons in a row that Canucks players have been Calder candidates thats Boeser Pettersson Hughes and hopefully this Hoggerson

Man I love this player :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad