Prospect Info: Nils Höglander

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I think his shot/scoring will be fine as he continues to gain experience.

I like that he releases as soon as he can and doesn't give the goalie time to get fully set, that's the more effective way to beat modern goalies cleanly unless you have a Laine/EP type of shot which few do. He also isn't just blindly shooting at their pads/chest either, he's picking corners. Eventually he'll get score some beauties.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
And I'll make the Pavel Bure comparison again, because whenever he's on the ice, I say to myself "ok, now get the puck to Hoglander", because he has that ability to make things happen the way Bure did. He gets you on the edge of your seat whenever he has the puck. Exciting player to watch.

again, we'll point out, this is a terrible comparison

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
again, we'll point out, this is a terrible comparison

The operative words being”he makes things happen the way Bure did”. That’s a perfectly fair assessment. Just like when I said he is built like Bure, then people jumped on me for that comparison. I watched Bure plenty, and the way Hoglander charges to the net looks a lot like Bure.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
The operative words being”he makes things happen the way Bure did”. That’s a perfectly fair assessment. Just like when I said he is built like Bure, then people jumped on me for that comparison. I watched Bure plenty, and the way Hoglander charges to the net looks a lot like Bure.

Nope

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
He’s been excellent so far. And consistently the best player on his line (and often best Canuck forward). He is missing high and wide a lot on his shots, not sure if it’s just a sample size/luck issue or not. Really impressive player.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
mrs krutov says he seems to be the most noticeable guy on the ice whenever on the ice, and wants to know how we got this guy. this is noteworthy because she is usually reading a book while half watching hockey. also, she calls him homelander.

anyway, i am upping my assessment. at first i thought he was pretty good for an undersized second rounder winger implying he was limited in the upside. now i think he is just say pretty good and his upside may be significant if he can beat goalies with that shot.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Bure didn’t score in his first game Hoglander did
It’s fair to say Hoglander is better and Pavel......if you are reading this, cause I know you scour our forums daily, I’m sorry bro but you never lived up to your 3rd round draft expectations bro

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He's literally nothing like Bure. He does have a bit of Marchand to his game.

I'm always leery of overkill projections on rookies. Boeser after 20 games was the new Ovechkin. Pettersson after 20 games was 'as good as McDavid' and getting comparisons to Gretzky. Hughes last year was a 'legit #1 defender'. Then the league adjusts and the player settles into the grind and ... not so much.

What he's done is very encouraging. He's going to be a solid top-6 forward in some fashion. But he needs to hit the net. He needs to work better with linemates. And he's had a built-in advantage this year as one of the few NHLers playing in Europe ahead of the season.

Reactions: Peen and WTG

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
He's literally nothing like Bure. He does have a bit of Marchand to his game.

I'm always leery of overkill projections on rookies. Boeser after 20 games was the new Ovechkin. Pettersson after 20 games was 'as good as McDavid' and getting comparisons to Gretzky. Hughes last year was a 'legit #1 defender'. Then the league adjusts and the player settles into the grind and ... not so much.

What he's done is very encouraging. He's going to be a solid top-6 forward in some fashion. But he needs to hit the net. He needs to work better with linemates. And he's had a built-in advantage this year as one of the few NHLers playing in Europe ahead of the season.

Agreed, sans the advantage. I think the league has been in full swing for about the last 12 Canucks games. Guys looked ready to go after the pause in action.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Agreed, sans the advantage. I think the league has been in full swing for about the last 12 Canucks games. Guys looked ready to go after the pause in action.

He currently is 8-0-1-1 -6 since the start of February. I do wonder if the league has caught up to him a bit. That said, he's looked far from bad in those games.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
He's the next Peter Forsberg!
According to nhl.com Peter Forsberg was a CENTRE well our Hog is a winger so not sure the comparison is EXACT

Last edited by a moderator:

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
He currently is 8-0-1-1 -6 since the start of February. I do wonder if the league has caught up to him a bit. That said, he's looked far from bad in those games.
Being taken off PP1 and Horvat's production falling off a cliff has hurt a lot. It drives me nuts that he hasn't gotten more than a shift or two with Petey and Boeser.

Reactions: lawrence

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
According to nhl.com Peter Forsberg was a CENTRE well our Hog is a winger so not sure the comparison is EXACT

Well, I have to admit, I'm not nearly as knowledgeable about hockey as you are. Hopefully from reading your posts I can learn a thing or 2. But I can tell you that when Hog touches the puck, I get that same feeling I got when Bure got the puck, because he (Hoglander) has the ability to stickhandle through multiple people and create scoring chances. Like Bure.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
If Hoglander ever gets 30 goals I'll be very happy. I saw Bure play live at least 30 times ... sorry, its a poor comparison.

I'm a huge fan, and very pleased, but Bure was as close to generational as the Canucks have ever seen. Hopefully peterson ends up in that conversation.

I'll be happy if we consider Hoglander one of our top 5 players in a few years. He's close now. Right now I would have him 7th. EP, Hughes, Demko, Horvat, Boeser and Miller.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
If Hoglander ever gets 30 goals I'll be very happy. I saw Bure play live at least 30 times ... sorry, its a poor comparison.

I'm a huge fan, and very pleased, but Bure was as close to generational as the Canucks have ever seen. Hopefully peterson ends up in that conversation.

I'll be happy if we consider Hoglander one of our top 5 players in a few years. He's close now. Right now I would have him 7th. EP, Hughes, Demko, Horvat, Boeser and Miller.

I wasn't saying Hoglander would be a 60 goal scorer, just that certain aspects of his game remind me of Bure. Bure could stickhandle through multiple people, Hoglander can too.

I would rank him as the 3rd most talented player on the team. Obviously that talented has yet to be fully tapped, but when it is, I think he will easily be a 30ish goal scorer, with the playmaking ability to put him in the 80 point range at his peak.

By the way, if Bure were playing today, there is no way he gets 60 goals.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
By reading all of the Hoglander comments, he is getting a little overrated, Bure? Forsberg? Marchand? 80 points? I don't think so. Before anyone goes crazy on me. Remember what the definition of overrated is. You can think a player is overrated and stil be a good player.

He is a good playmaker, can stickhandle and good possession player but two things are missing. He doesn't have the shot that can beat goalie cleanly from far out. He is doesn't have the elite straight line speed. If he doesn't improve those 2 areas. I don't see him being more than middle 6 to a second line winger.

There is a reason why his stickhandling is not leading to any goals. As of right now, he is similar to Reid in a bit, lot of flash and dash and doesn't lead to a lot of results.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
no

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009

Demkos reputation precedes him. He doesn’t steal games. He lets in a bad goal a little too often (ot winner). Outside of the Vegas run of games, he’s been just ok.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
By reading all of the Hoglander comments, he is getting a little overrated, Bure? Forsberg? Marchand? 80 points? I don't think so. Before anyone goes crazy on me. Remember what the definition of overrated is. You can think a player is overrated and stil be a good player.

He is a good playmaker, can stickhandle and good possession player but two things are missing. He doesn't have the shot that can beat goalie cleanly from far out. He is doesn't have the elite straight line speed. If he doesn't improve those 2 areas. I don't see him being more than middle 6 to a second line winger.

There is a reason why his stickhandling is not leading to any goals. As of right now, he is similar to Reid in a bit, lot of flash and dash and doesn't lead to a lot of results.

Are you saying it’s unreasonable to compare him to forsberg /bures hall of fame careers? You realize he has 7 points right? That seems like he’s right there.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East

I dont even know what you are trying to say in the middle paragraph.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->