Player Discussion Nikita Tryamkin | V

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Podkolzin had mentioned that he would like to stay in Russia until he was 100% NHL ready to have a solidified role (I’m assuming top 6?) and that sort of thing is something that could scare GMs like Benning.
That can be seen as both good and bad.

Good in that when he does arrive, he's be ready to contribute.
Bad if he comes over and doesn't like his role and decides to bail.

Ultimately, you have to interview the player and understand what drives him. From the very little I have seen and heard about him, he plays the game hard, like Ovy in terms of effort and hustle. He's not one of those cherry picking floaters.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
"We haven't closed that door. I'm in constant communication with his agents in North America & Russia to keep tabs on him. We're hoping at some point he decides he's going to come back. For a guy his size he's a good skater & can play in today's style of game.".....Benning...
Yes, heard the same interview. Sounds like Jimbo is very interested in bringing him back. And if he's getting benched and is in the doghouse with his KHL team, maybe even next season is a possibility. How a guy can go from being a KHL all-star d-man to being a healthy scratch and having his captaincy stripped, is little bizarre.

But if by some happenstance, Tryamkin, Julovi and Hughes were all to make the Canucks next season--with Jett Woo in the wings--it would be a game-changer on the Canucks blueline. They could actually seriously explore the trade market for Tanev, Edler or Gudbranson.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Yes, heard the same interview. Sounds like Jimbo is very interested in bringing him back. And if he's getting benched and is in the doghouse with his KHL team, maybe even next season is a possibility. How a guy can go from being a KHL all-star d-man to being a healthy scratch and having his captaincy stripped, is little bizarre.

But if by some happenstance, Tryamkin, Julovi and Hughes were all to make the Canucks next season--with Jett Woo in the wings--it would be a game-changer on the Canucks blueline. They could actually seriously explore the trade market for Tanev, Edler or Gudbranson.
I'd say give it a year if all 3 make it next season:
Edler-Tryamkin
Hughes-Tanev
Juolevi/Hutton-Gudbrandson/Stecher

I don't see him back until the contract is done though but he would make Gudbrandson expendable

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland

Pure conjecture, but maybe he’s refusing to extend his contract.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I thought it was politics and an attempt at wooing that got him the captaincy in the first place personally.
Sooo.. I could easily get on board with your conjecture.

Lol - I read that as " I could easily get bored with your conjecture"!

Next year would be great, but I really hope to see him the following one at least. "Come on down and get your payday."

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
We need this guy back badly. We don't need him to be a Pronger and take guys heads off. But we do need someone who can clear the front of the net. 3 of the goals last night vs Boston was because Pouliot and MDZ can't clear the net and are too weak there.

Last edited:
Reactions: billvanseattle

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
Pure conjecture, but maybe he’s refusing to extend his contract.

Get the feeling that something odd is happening over in Russia. It seems odd to me that they would name a guy a captain and then just 12 games in, strip him of the captaincy, even if the guy had a bad stretch of games. Could you imagine if the Canucks had named Horvat captain and just 12 games in they stripped him of that... regardless of any poor production? Just seems like there is some other sort of disagreement between the player and organization.

That's what I was thinking - 'old school soviet' punishment

You sign or you sit Nikita!!

Old School soviet punishment is still a thing. There are still often times when Russian players who are not playing in Russia get overlooked for lesser talented players that are playing the the KHL or Jr teams in Russia. If a player has not committed to their team, or perhaps has even made it clear that they intend to leave, I would not rule it out as a possibility as to being the reason he's had his captaincy taken away.

Reactions: Nomobo

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Get the feeling that something odd is happening over in Russia. It seems odd to me that they would name a guy a captain and then just 12 games in, strip him of the captaincy, even if the guy had a bad stretch of games. Could you imagine if the Canucks had named Horvat captain and just 12 games in they stripped him of that... regardless of any poor production? Just seems like there is some other sort of disagreement between the player and organization.

Didn't the Canucks fire Bill LaForge after only 20 games? It can happen...

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
He was named captain part way through last season, not at the beginning of this season. He was only captain for three games this season before they named their prized signing Dawes as captain. Tryamkin still has a "A" and their GM still sees him as future captain material. Tryamkin publicly thanked their current coach for noticing him back in 2011.

Literally every Avto defenceman has been a healthy scratch this season. There has been a conscious effort by the coach to rotate the defencemen. Seems to be working pretty well for them. The last two games he missed were due to an injury that also kept him off the national team.

Some actual news - Avto's salaries were reported by Sport-Express. Tryamkin's salary is about $710k base + $160k in bonuses.

Доус зарабатывает 190 млн в рублей в год в «Автомобилисте», Миловзоров – 70, Егоршев – 61

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Bill LaForge was a prick who the players hated. They refused to play for him, and he treated them like 15 year olds. He should have been gone after 10 games.

They also refused to play for Harry Neale who replaced him and was fired at the end of that season. The Canucks were the worst sort of "country club" type team back then...

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
He was named captain part way through last season, not at the beginning of this season. He was only captain for three games this season before they named their prized signing Dawes as captain. Tryamkin still has a "A" and their GM still sees him as future captain material. Tryamkin publicly thanked their current coach for noticing him back in 2011.

Literally every Avto defenceman has been a healthy scratch this season. There has been a conscious effort by the coach to rotate the defencemen. Seems to be working pretty well for them. The last two games he missed were due to an injury that also kept him off the national team.

Some actual news - Avto's salaries were reported by Sport-Express. Tryamkin's salary is about $710k base + $160k in bonuses.

Доус зарабатывает 190 млн в рублей в год в «Автомобилисте», Миловзоров – 70, Егоршев – 61

For a player so vocal about his ice time while in Vancouver it seems to be news that a player and former captain was a healthy scratch .

SomeSortOfHockey

Oct 9, 2013

In other words 960k tax free USD. Equivalent to about 2mill USD salary if he played in Vancouver. On top of that he does not have to live in Vancouver, gets to live in his home country and enjoy a significantly lower cost of living and more opportunities.

Easy to see why he came back. It will take Vamcouver significant money to pry him back. I figure 4 mill on a short contract that takes him to UFA as soon as possible and frees him to sign where he wants.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
In other words 960k tax free USD. Equivalent to about 2mill USD salary if he played in Vancouver. On top of that he does not have to live in Vancouver, gets to live in his home country and enjoy a significantly lower cost of living and more opportunities.

Easy to see why he came back. It will take Vamcouver significant money to pry him back. I figure 4 mill on a short contract that takes him to UFA as soon as possible and frees him to sign where he wants.
No.. They still get taxed around 13%.

$710K base = about $1.1-1.2 mil here.

$860K with bonuses = about $1.3-1.5 here

He's actually making more than I thought. Took a significant cut to go back home for 3 yrs.

Especially if you consider he doesn't sound like he'll hit bonuses if performance based.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
No.. They still get taxed around 13%.

$710K base = about $1.1-1.2 mil here.

$860K with bonuses = about $1.3-1.5 here

He's actually making more than I thought. Took a significant cut to go back home for 3 yrs.

Especially if you consider he doesn't sound like he'll hit bonuses if performance based.
Wow! This is actually a worse KHL contract than I thought. I mean if Gudbranson is worth $4m a season; Hutton at $2.8; and even Pouliot at $1.1; then who knows what Tryamkin signs for?

Little wonder Jimbo is in regular contact with his NA agent. If he only played three seasons in VanCity, he'd be set for life.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Why are people so quick to defend Tryamkin over losing his captaincy.

We saw the same thing here.. Tryamkin was entitled and felt like he should be given things such as more ice time eventhough he came into camp out of shape. Then he bolted home the first chance he got.

If anything, losing his captaincy is further evidence of this player's character.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad