Player Discussion Nikita Tryamkin | V

Status
Not open for further replies.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Tryamkin named to the starting lineup for the KHL All Star game.

2019 Week of Hockey Stars: Fans select starting lines

He has two assists today in his return to the lineup after being injured.

Welll.... this news kinda flies in the face of the narrative he's having a bad season.

Kinda supports that the captaincy ordeal is a purely a political issue... which is how how he got it in the first place.

Great news overall for us anyway in regards to his progression.
Great news for him for his next contract.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
With the exception of Gudbranson when he's engaged and Biega, who plays infrequently, this Canuck blueline is softer than butter. Del Zotto will hit, but then turns the puck over. For the most part, they constantly lose puck battles along the wall and get overpowered in front of the net. Pouliot, Stecher, Hutton and even Tanev just get blasted and abused constantly.

Having a guy who's 6'7" and 250 with the kind of closing speed Tryamkin has, would make all the d-men play bigger and force forechecking forwards to have their heads on a swivel.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
With the exception of Gudbranson when he's engaged and Biega, who plays infrequently, this Canuck blueline is softer than butter. Del Zotto will hit, but then turns the puck over. For the most part, they constantly lose puck battles along the wall and get overpowered in front of the net. Pouliot, Stecher, Hutton and even Tanev just get blasted and abused constantly.

Having a guy who's 6'7" and 250 with the kind of closing speed Tryamkin has, would make all the d-men play bigger and force forechecking forwards to have their heads on a swivel.

Yeah, that would be really nice. Too bad we haven't got one.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008

Cept Tryamkin is more of a gentle giant than a huge hitter.

Reactions: rypper

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Cept Tryamkin is more of a gentle giant than a huge hitter.
Doesn't lay them often, but when he does.. it's awesome.

But he is a very difficult dman to play against. Very good at using his reach to disrupt... very deceptive gap control for forwards who think they have more room than they actually do...
Board battles weren't an issue..

Hopefully he uses these three seasons over there to polish his positioning, first pass, first step and aggressiveness with the puck..

Love this gamble of a draft pick. Could pay off nicely...

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Marek Malik was very good and underrated with the right partner. I think Tryamkin is better.

Regardless I think he is an asset. On a 2 year bridge contract (RFA after) I don't see much downside.

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
Tryamkin was showing that he was easily the most underrated dman on the team the year he was here and he was improving in strides over the season.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
If Tryamkin is a gentle giant I don't know what that makes Marek Malik. Tryamkin had more than his fair share of violent encounters during this brief time here imo
Him breaking Richardson's collarbone on a hit and fighting Jamie Benn with one glove still on come to mind. Even if he's not a brute physical force it's rare to find a guy his size with his mobility. Just a strength aspect he would be exceptionally valuable in clearing the crease when you talk about how small our blue line is now with Stecher and Pouliot and will be in the future with OJ and Hughes. He is a huge piece to the puzzle for me moving forward with his ability to also play the right side. Someone in another thread was worried with the fact that we'd be limited in proper PK players if we have both OJ and Hughes on the roster at the same time. But Tryamkin being a LHD along with Tanev, Edler and Gudbrandson would be adequate for penalty killing:

Edler-Tryamkin
Hughes-Tanev
Hutton-Gudbrandson
OJ-Stecher

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Marek Malik was very good and underrated with the right partner. I think Tryamkin is better.

Regardless I think he is an asset. On a 2 year bridge contract (RFA after) I don't see much downside.
I tend to think Tryamkin has huge upside (as such, I consider him a prime asset). Just imagine if he was wearing a Canucks jersey right now....

Reactions: F A N

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
If him and Hughes on our d next year plus Kakko then WATCH OUT- we WILL be a playoff team

Kakko Pettersson Boeser
Gold Horvat Virtanen
Roussell Gaudette Lockwood
Beagle Sutter Eriksson

Hughes Tanev
Hutton Tryamkin
Edler Stecher

Marky
Demko

:yo:

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
If him and Hughes on our d next year plus Kakko then WATCH OUT- we WILL be a playoff team

Kakko Pettersson Boeser
Gold Horvat Virtanen
Roussell Gaudette Lockwood
Beagle Sutter Eriksson

Hughes Tanev
Hutton Tryamkin
Edler Stecher

Marky
Demko

:yo:
Lockwood is not making the team right away

Also that defence is still not good

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
Lockwood is not making the team right away

Also that defence is still not good

Yep! Right now Hutton and Stech are serviceable as 6/7, but it's time to move on from Edler. Canucks need another young RHD with top-pair upside, or at least 2nd-pair, and who can play the point on the 2nd unit PP. My wishlist would be getting someone like Dante Fabro or Philippe Meyers.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Yep! Right now Hutton and Stech are serviceable as 6/7, but it's time to move on from Edler. Canucks need another young RHD with top-pair upside, or at least 2nd-pair, and who can play the point on the 2nd unit PP. My wishlist would be getting someone like Dante Fabro or Philippe Meyers.
I think Hutton has show he is much better than a #6/#7 this year. Also Edler is easily our best Defenceman, so why exactly do we want to move on from him?

I do agree overall our D is bad though, especially in passing and transition.

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
I think Hutton has show he is much better than a #6/#7 this year. Also Edler is easily our best Defenceman, so why exactly do we want to move on from him?

I do agree overall our D is bad though, especially in passing and transition.

And that is part of the problem with the Canucks D. Edler would be fine as the 2nd-pair shut-down vet D on a young core, however, he no longer has the foot speed or passing ability for the role he's playing with the Canucks. He has more value to the Canucks by trading him before the deadline than hanging on to him.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Him breaking Richardson's collarbone on a hit and fighting Jamie Benn with one glove still on come to mind. Even if he's not a brute physical force it's rare to find a guy his size with his mobility. Just a strength aspect he would be exceptionally valuable in clearing the crease when you talk about how small our blue line is now with Stecher and Pouliot and will be in the future with OJ and Hughes. He is a huge piece to the puzzle for me moving forward with his ability to also play the right side. Someone in another thread was worried with the fact that we'd be limited in proper PK players if we have both OJ and Hughes on the roster at the same time. But Tryamkin being a LHD along with Tanev, Edler and Gudbrandson would be adequate for penalty killing:

Edler-Tryamkin
Hughes-Tanev
Hutton-Gudbrandson
OJ-Stecher

It's a small thing but he broke Richardsons leg not his collarbone, and that was as product of him falling on him not from the force of hit.

I think people have this idea of tryamkin in their head of being a monster who used his size destroying guys when that wasn't really the case. He's big but he's not using his size like Scott Stevens 2.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad