Nikita Scherbak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
I hope management doesn't rush him. Give him time to develop.

Same here...I'm so darn excited for Hudon, Scherbak, McCarron, and more, but...I'd rather suffer with patience (by being patient) so our prospects can get all the proper time to fully develop.

Was Galchenyuk rushed? Bournival? Can Scherbak, Hudon, McCarron adapt to the NHL as quickly as Subban and Gallagher? We shall see, but it's better to play it safe than to ruin a prospect by rushing him.

Semin + Kassian:
they should help give time for Hudon, Scherbak, McCarron to take their time to develop properly (without rushing them). And, maybe Andrighetto can help in the top 9? Maybe Hudon will be ready? But, Scherbak and McCarron can take their time to fully develop (no rush with Semin and Kassian there).

I like Scherbak a lot but the "few on planet Earth can shoot it like him" is a huge exageration.

Anytime a scout or hockey writer/journalist wants to compliment a Hab or Hab prospect, well...I'll take it with a huge smile!! It's way better than negative reports/comments.

Last edited:

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Same here...I'm so darn excited for Hudon, Scherbak, McCarron, and more, but...I'd rather suffer with patience (by being patient) so our prospects can get all the proper time to fully develop.

It's great to be patient but sometime being too much patient can be a problem.

Next year we will be in a situation where 2 young dmen with an interesting toolbox will have to clear waiver to be set down and we don't know yet if they can play at the NHL level. Pateryn has only 20 games of exp and Tinordi 40. That's not a lot of exp for interesting young guys needing to clear waiver to be sent down. Specially since both of them did not look too much awful when they played.

I wish Tinordi and Pateryn had a little bit more experience (let's say around 60-80 reg season games played across 2-3 seasons). But instead we played guys like Murray, Bouillon and Weaver.

I don't have a problem with being patient with Hudon, Scherbak and McCarron. But i hope we will avoid to put ourselves in a situation where all 3 will need to clear waiver while having less than 60 games played at the NHL level.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
We won't rush him. He, Big Mac, and others will get a call-up (much like last year.. a couple games each, I'd imagine) and the only chance he plays on the team full time this year is if there's a long term injury *knock on wood* and we really need him in a top 6 role. Other than that, I can see him refining his pro game in Saint John's.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site

Next year we will be in a situation where 2 young dmen with an interesting toolbox will have to clear waiver to be set down and we don't know yet if they can play at the NHL level. Pateryn has only 20 games of exp and Tinordi 40. That's not a lot of exp for interesting young guys needing to clear waiver to be sent down. Specially since both of them did not look too much awful when they played.

I wish Tinordi and Pateryn had a little bit more experience (let's say around 60-80 reg season games played across 2-3 seasons). But instead we played guys like Murray, Bouillon and Weaver.

I don't have a problem with being patient with Hudon, Scherbak and McCarron. But i hope we will avoid to put ourselves in a situation where all 3 will need to clear waiver while having less than 60 games played at the NHL level.

I think pateryn solidified himself down the stretch last year as a roster player. His play warranted the promotion.

Tinordi has yet to do that in the stints that he has had. He has always found a way to play himself off the roster.

So I'm more concerned about tinordi at this point than pateryn. We just have to hope that he turns the corner this year, and makes the decisions to be made alot more clearer.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I also expect Barberio to be way better than Juulsen in the next training camp, does that make me a Barberio fanboy?

Nope.

Sorry but i did not realize he was talking about the camp. Cause Thomas played more games than Scherbak at the camp anyway.

Thomas played 5 games out of 6 at the camp last year.
Scherbak played 2 games out of 6 at the camp lats year.

There's a 7th game where i can't get the lineup (the one in quebec city). But anyway even if Scherbak played this game in quebec city and Thomas did not play it Thomas still played more and Scherbak did not get an extended look at all he did not play any of the last 4 games at the camp according to NHL.com.

I'm sorry again i tilted as soon as i've seen Thomas outperformed and forgot i was in the Scherbak trade and thought we were talking about Thomas outperforming people when considering the whole season.

Yeah he was good at the camp. But that's about the only thing we can say about Thomas last year. In the season he did not finish any play.

realtalk11

Oct 7, 2013
I like Scherbak a lot but the "few on planet Earth can shoot it like him" is a huge exageration.

lol ok:shakehead

just think about this

what's the hockey population pool ( north america, russia, countries like sweden,finland etc)

how many can shoot like scherbak ?

A few.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
lol ok:shakehead

just think about this

what's the hockey population pool ( north america, russia, countries like sweden,finland etc)

how many can shoot like scherbak ?

A few.

Ok, first off whenever a scout describes a player its to nhl standards, of course his shot is excellent if you consider every hockey player in the world, almost any NHLers shots are part of "the few" if you use every hockey player as a comparable, why the hell would a scout do that anyway?

To me "a few" means world class, the scouts's quote made it seem like his shot was among the best in the world, look I think Scherbak has a shot at being a really good player for us but when it comes to his actual shot I dont expect it to be anything too special compared to nhl standards, probably abonne average but he wont make a career out of his shot IMHO, he's got plenty of great tools to work with but Ive seen him play several times both live and on WHL streams and was never blown away by his average shot.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Habs fans are really excited to see Scherbak and McCarron join the Bulldogs this year.

It reminds me of our enthusiasm for Beaulieu and Tinordi three years ago.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
I doubt McCarron or Scherbak see a single game in the NHL this year (other than pre-season). As promising as they are, they are both quite raw and the Habs will have more polished prospects available for a call-up if needed (Hudon, Andrighetto, Thomas, Holloway).

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
The off season signings Kassian & Semin will bring very closely the same types of game our young 1st round picks from 2013(McCarron) & 2014(Scherbak) will, after some seasoning in the AHL, developing them properly. While watching the progress of Kassian into the big body presence on RW the Habs haven't had since Kovalev. Kassian of course plays the tougher go to the net and board game, Kovalev shied away from, making great offensive plays from the perimeter was his forte.(Which doesn't work well in NHL playoffs) Kassian is nowhere near the talent level of Kovalev, but his combination of skill & toughness is just the type of game that thrives in the NHL playoffs. While Semin has a similar level of talent to Kovalev, he's a little smaller but much quicker and creates offence as seen when he played alongside Ovechkin & Backstrom in Washington.(All three players lit the league up and were very hard to keep in check, Montreal managed to beat them with Halak's heroics as they did with Pittsburgh that year. Anyway signing Semin at 31 yrs. of age is a great move IMHO, giving the Habs two more RW's to provide extra offence until both McCarron & Scherbak are ready to assume bigger roles (Top Six) within two yrs. most likely. I expect that Scherbak may very well be considered the steal of the 2014 Entry Draft, even though he was taken in the 1st round 26th overall, many scouts will be wondering why they didn't scout him heavily after the effort he had at the Prospects game that spring. Thanks to Timmins & our scouting team for landing him, Lernout, Koberstein and Audette(Even though it will take him a while to beef up to NHL standards, his talent is huge.):nod::handclap::handclap::handclap:

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I doubt McCarron or Scherbak see a single game in the NHL this year (other than pre-season). As promising as they are, they are both quite raw and the Habs will have more polished prospects available for a call-up if needed (Hudon, Andrighetto, Thomas, Holloway).

I'll bet my house one of the 2 sees at least 1 game!!!

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005

At this point I'd sooner keep Pateryn than Tinordi. If Tinordi doesn't straighten out soon I'd gladly include him in a trade. He doesn't have an infinite amlount of hockey sense in his cranium.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Habs fans are really excited to see Scherbak and McCarron join the Bulldogs this year.

It reminds me of our enthusiasm for Beaulieu and Tinordi three years ago.

As someone that follows our prospects very closely every year, I'm way more excited for the duo of Scherbak/McCarron then I was for Beaulieu/Tinordi. For me I just can't wait to see what Scherbak can do as I think very highly of him, and McCarron I think he's going to bring an element to the Habs that they sorely need.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
As someone that follows our prospects very closely every year, I'm way more excited for the duo of Scherbak/McCarron then I was for Beaulieu/Tinordi. For me I just can't wait to see what Scherbak can do as I think very highly of him, and McCarron I think he's going to bring an element to the Habs that they sorely need.

Me too but I wasn't incredibly high on NB. Just thought he had too many question marks at the time.

Scherbak and McCarron just have the potential to turn us into a perennial contender IMO.

I can't believe they finally picked this year to move away from Hamilton. Blargh!

Soltantgris

May 31, 2010
If McCarron become a good power forward, I'll remember for ever his year's draft. ''McCarron??'' Who the hell is McCarron !!! Google it. Oh, he's a monster. Ranked like late 2rd ??? Well.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Im very excited about him. He can shoot, deke and pass and skate. It's a good combo and let's not forget that he has some size.

A euro prospect yes but in mold of NA. If he improves his hitting which im sure isn't bad, that would be perfection.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
In my opinion, there is still one Top 6 spot open and it's Scherbak's to lose.

Maxpac - Pleks - Gallagher/Semin
X/Semin - Galchenyuk - Gallagher/Semin
Desharnais - Eller - Kassian
Weise - Mitchell/Flynn - DSP/Bournival

It will be a Hudon / Ghetto / Scherbak / Desharnais competition imo. (2 spots / 4 +) players. I think the most likely scenario is Scherbak-Desharnais makes it, but I think Hudon could make Desharnais tradeable, he's versatile as well. If MaxPac can't start the year, Galchenyuk will play LW for a little while.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
In my opinion, there is still one Top 6 spot open and it's Scherbak's to lose.

Maxpac - Pleks - Gallagher/Semin
X/Semin - Galchenyuk - Gallagher/Semin
Desharnais - Eller - Kassian
Weise - Mitchell/Flynn - DSP/Bournival

It will be a Hudon / Ghetto / Scherbak / Desharnais competition imo. (2 spots / 4 +) players. I think the most likely scenario is Scherbak-Desharnais makes it, but I think Hudon could make Desharnais tradeable, he's versatile as well. If MaxPac can't start the year, Galchenyuk will play LW for a little while.

I'd lean towards they 2nd line winger spot being more of Kassian's to lose than Scherbak's. I'd be really surprised if Kassian wasnt given every opportunity to succeed in the top 6. I don't think he was aquired with the thought he would top out as a 3rd liner.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Im very excited about him. He can shoot, deke and pass and skate. It's a good combo and let's not forget that he has some size.

A euro prospect yes but in mold of NA. If he improves his hitting which im sure isn't bad, that would be perfection.

My biggest concern for Scherbak is his defensive game, I know he worked on it last year but how he does at the NHL level is going to be very telling in how quickly he can secure an NHL roster spot. The coaching staff will never give him quality minutes if he can't play passable defense.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I hate the "he needs to play defense" argument so bad when it comes to forwards. If the guy is good enough to have an impact offensively on the top 6, give me a break when it comes to his play in the defensive end.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I hate the "he needs to play defense" argument so bad when it comes to forwards. If the guy is good enough to have an impact offensively on the top 6, give me a break when it comes to his play in the defensive end.

Our entire system is based around never making a mistake and hoping to win every game 1-0 off a fluke bounce in the offensive zone simply by funnelling the puck to the net from the perimeter and hoping for human error on the part of a goalie.

So, I hate the argument too but it's entirely logically given the coaching staff/philosophy of the team.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Oh, that I know. It wasn't meant as a diss to the poster I was replying to. It has a lot more to do with the two-way philosophy in place in the modern NHL, not just the Habs. And don't get me wrong, two-way play is important and of tremendous value when your best offensive guy also happens to be your best two-way guy, such as Pacioretty or Plekanec. But when it comes to guys like Galchenyuk or Scherbak, what I want from them is the high-end offensive talent we've been sorely lacking up front over the last decade and more.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012

(In a slow taunting voice) Oh... he will play defense... yes he will...by the numbers. MWAHAHAHHAHAA! Oh, I'll also develop him out his drafted position to just make everyone insane!

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
My biggest concern for Scherbak is his defensive game, I know he worked on it last year but how he does at the NHL level is going to be very telling in how quickly he can secure an NHL roster spot. The coaching staff will never give him quality minutes if he can't play passable defense.

if DD can play THAT bad defense and be in the NHL 4 years now..

im not even WORRIED about nikita.

i agree with lebowski, people bring up this defense thing like a player will get scored on EVERYTIME he hops on the ice and thats just not the case. worry about how he's going to look like in the offensive zone first before worrying about how he will look inside a zone that has carey price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad