Nikita Scherbak

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
yeah I think its more that he's pretty high on Scherbak as opposed to being down on Galchenyuk (at least I think so).

To me its Scherbak's skating which gets him in that league of Galchenyuk.

I wish I saw more of Scherbie in preseason where people really seemed to be impressed by him.

I do think some are underrating Galchenyuk a bit. If he really elevates his skating (please mother of god please!) he'll be absolutely dynamite. But really even if he doesn't make huge strides in skating or strength I think he could still be a really solid #1C. I really think pure skill he's up there really high in the league.

Along with Scherbak's skating he also is that little bit taller than Galch where he seems to have that long reach as well which just makes him project so wonderfully as an NHLer. His unique character doesn't hurt at all.

I don't think Scherbak has Galch's hands or shot. Galch's release is nasty just needs to get the accuracy going. He could easily be a 30 goal guy but I wouldn't not be shocked if he hit 40 once or even regularly. Galch's hands are world class IMO.

We're extremely lucky to have both. We truly weren't as bad as a bottom 3 team in 11-12 and had he not been injured he could've gone 1st overall.

And Scherbak to me looks like a guy who could go top 15 in a draft year. I've said it dozens of times that I'm not quite as high on him as other people seem to be purely because I don't understand how we got him with our pick. Just seems too good to be true. He seems to have everything.

yea I'm not down on Galchenyuk at all other then it was disappointing how he played at the end of the season and playoffs. Had he not struggled towards the end, he easily breaks 50 points which imo is where he should be after 3 years in the NHL (though his first was the lockout).

And I do think that Galchenyuk's skating, lack of foot speed (not saying he's slow by any means) impact his play in the NHL. Scherbak just gets the nod in terms of physical tools like size, speed, skating. How that helps him at the NHL level is anyone's guess. Personally I think it's going to help him a lot.

I don't think Scherbak has the shot that Galchenyuk has, he's more of a passer then Galchenyuk is. That's why I think they would make for a great combo together, two highly skilled young kids that can hopefully feed off each others skill set. I think Galchenyuk needs to get his nose dirty more in the front of the net but having someone with Scherbak's skill getting him the puck could make for a deadly duo imo.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
I'm a big fan of both, I'm not one of those that are disappointed with Galchenyuk's usage. I actually think the team has handled him well enough. I do think Galchenyuk was a better prospect in junior but I think it's closer then some think it is as I am looking at more then stats and am including physical attributes like size/skating/speed. I happen to think Scherbak's game isn't far from Galchenyuk's, doesn't mean that he will be as good or better in the NHL as that's really hard to guess how someone will translate at the NHL level from juniors. Just that while Galchenyuk might be more skilled, Scherbak is quicker, better skater and bigger, and imo that makes them closer then some might think.

All fair points, to which I agree for the most part. Not pointing the finger at you, I've just noticed a lot of posters underappreciating and underselling Galchenyuk's high skill level simply because he is not a 70 point player playing 3rd/2nd line minutes for most of his NHL career thus far. I thought you were a part of that particular camp, but I was wrong. I'd love to see both Galchenyuk and Scherbak be similar elite level players. That would be best case scenario for the organization.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
All fair points, to which I agree for the most part. Not pointing the finger at you, I've just noticed a lot of posters underappreciating and underselling Galchenyuk's high skill level simply because he is not a 70 point player playing 3rd/2nd line minutes for most of his NHL career thus far. I thought you were a part of that particular camp, but I was wrong. I'd love to see both Galchenyuk and Scherbak be similar elite level players. That would be best case scenario for the organization.

I stay out of the Galchenyuk thread since it seems like it's mostly there to bash management or the coaching staff. If he improves his skating and works on being quicker, more explosive while going to the net harder then I think he's going to be a very good NHLer no matter what position he plays.

Scherbak we'll just have to wait and see how it goes, perhaps I overrate him but I have been very impressed with what I have seen as he reminds me of Galchenyuk so much. But we'll see how it goes, just glad he's a pro now and we have both in our system.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
yea I'm not down on Galchenyuk at all other then it was disappointing how he played at the end of the season and playoffs. Had he not struggled towards the end, he easily breaks 50 points which imo is where he should be after 3 years in the NHL (though his first was the lockout).

And I do think that Galchenyuk's skating, lack of foot speed (not saying he's slow by any means) impact his play in the NHL. Scherbak just gets the nod in terms of physical tools like size, speed, skating. How that helps him at the NHL level is anyone's guess. Personally I think it's going to help him a lot.

I don't think Scherbak has the shot that Galchenyuk has, he's more of a passer then Galchenyuk is. That's why I think they would make for a great combo together, two highly skilled young kids that can hopefully feed off each others skill set. I think Galchenyuk needs to get his nose dirty more in the front of the net but having someone with Scherbak's skill getting him the puck could make for a deadly duo imo.

agreed. Scherbak's size (reach specifically but he seems to be filling out too) and his skating is where he'll be able to beat more defenders one on one than Galchenyuk can at this point in time. That's why Scherbak could possibly be a better NHLer.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I think some of the knocks on Chucky's skating are overblown. He's not a stop and go, corridor type speedster like Pacioretty.

Sure, it might not be on the same level as his strengths but its also far from being bad enough to be a weakness. His top end speed is impressive and can certainly back defensemen up. He's probably the best at carrying the puck down the middle along with Eller.

Edit: sorry back to Scherbak:)

Last edited:

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
How was good o'l Marshak (lol) at the development camp? Anything noteworthy? I see most people in the poll don't see him being a full time NHLER yet.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I think some of the knocks on Chucky's skating are overblown. He's not a stop and go, corridor type speedster like Pacioretty.

Sure, it might not be on the same level as his strengths but its also far from being bad enough to be a weakness. His top end speed is impressive and can certainly back defensemen up. He's probably the best at carrying the puck down the middle along with Eller.

Edit: sorry back to Scherbak:)

This is true. I remember that one back check that was really impressive around mid season or so. I think its explosiveness/acceleration thats the issue. It did seem significantly better at the beginning of the season but it almost seemed like he slowed down as the season went on. Could be him playing his first full season.

All I know is Galchenyuk had a whole laundry list of very valid reasons/excuses (NO EXCUSES!) why he didn't have a better year but one of those reasons is he plainly could've just been better. That doesn't mean that any or all of the other reasons are less valid.

Lazy with the quotes today but I also agree with montreal about how he's been more or less fine with Galchenyuk's usage except until where MT put him back to the wing far too quickly imo. The first two and a half years I was fine with him at the wing but once they put him at center he should've stayed there or at least got a longer shot there. I hope that if he doesn't at least start at C he better end up there by the end of the season. I'm not too worried because I believe he'll force MT's hand.

I'm no mod and its not my place to say but I think its fine to talk about Galchenyuk here because we were comparing the two and also this is probably a better more civil place to discuss Galchenyuk lol.

Cookie007

Mar 23, 2011
Might get fried for this but after watching a lot of sherback games last year. I believe sherback will become the player the habs had hoped for in Sergei kostitysn.

I see a lot of resemblance in their play. Good speed. Amazing vision and passing for a winger. Nice set of hands and a solid shot. Both ditched their Russian junior to come to NA to learn the NA style.

What differs is that I believe sherback is more focused and has a desire to reach his potential. Not saying Sergei K didn't... He just got caught up with the celebrity status of Montreal with his brother.

Hopefully MB and his personnel like Marty lapointe keeps an eye on all our youngsters.

And before you guys diss SK. We had the same amount of hyped for him when he first played in the AHL and got called up by carbo. I remember the boards saying he was up there with "Patrick Kane"

realtalk11

Oct 7, 2013
Might get fried for this but after watching a lot of sherback games last year. I believe sherback will become the player the habs had hoped for in Sergei kostitysn.

I see a lot of resemblance in their play. Good speed. Amazing vision and passing for a winger. Nice set of hands and a solid shot. Both ditched their Russian junior to come to NA to learn the NA style.

What differs is that I believe sherback is more focused and has a desire to reach his potential. Not saying Sergei K didn't... He just got caught up with the celebrity status of Montreal with his brother.

Hopefully MB and his personnel like Marty lapointe keeps an eye on all our youngsters.

And before you guys diss SK. We had the same amount of hyped for him when he first played in the AHL and got called up by carbo. I remember the boards saying he was up there with "Patrick Kane"

up there with "patrick kane" hahaah this board.

Same board expecting MB to get a top 6 player at all cost not taking cap considerations and stuff like that.:sarcasm:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

I'm not sure if I'd say that Scherbak is more of a passer than Galchenyuk is. He's a fantastic passer, sure, but so was Galchenyuk in junior. Chuck's also made some amazing passes at the NHL level. As an example, the no look, one time slap pass on this goal is just ridiculous:

http://video.canadiens.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlp=8474056&lang=en

Scherbak also doesn't have the hands that Galchenyuk does. On the other points I agree with you. Chuck needs to be put into a position where he's constantly moving in order to play his game. He's not much of a stop and start player.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I'm not sure if I'd say that Scherbak is more of a passer than Galchenyuk is. He's a fantastic passer, sure, but so was Galchenyuk in junior. Chuck's also made some amazing passes at the NHL level. As an example, the no look, one time slap pass on this goal is just ridiculous:

Scherbak also doesn't have the hands that Galchenyuk does. On the other points I agree with you. Chuck needs to be put into a position where he's constantly moving in order to play his game. He's not much of a stop and start player.

couldn't find the slap pass one.

but here's some things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-oHduDrVQM

forgive me if the music is horrible. i watched it on mute.

Kid's gonna be a beast.

Dagenais Bar Down*

Slap pass:

They scored a lot of fun goals early on last season. It's a shame Therrien told them to stop. :sarcasm:

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I'm excited about Scherbak too but I remind you guys that he needs to play professional hockey. There is some nasty **** awaiting him in the AHL and I want to see how he handles it. I think Galchenyuk is still struggling with the same problem in the NHL.

Last edited:

savard95

May 9, 2014
Montréal
I'm excited about Scherbak too but I remind you guys that he needs to play professional hockey. There is some nasty **** awaiting him in the AHL and I want to see how he handles it. I think Galchenyuk is still struggling with the same problem in the NHL.

Yeah, I'd give Scherbak a year in the farm. Unless he has an absolute monster of a camp.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I think Galchenyuk would benefit greatly from improved foot speed and skating, but get his nose dirty more would also help matters. That doesn't mean he won't be a quality NHLer as I don't think his speed/skating are major issues that will hold him back, just that he could stand to be better at them whereas Scherbak is quicker/better skater and that could improve more in the next few years.

it's an interesting thought, really was disappointed in how things turned out for Kostitsyn (well both actually) but with the way Sergei played in the OHL and AHL I thought he was going to be a heck of an NHLer for us. The thing with Scherbak is he's highly skilled plus he's got the size that Sergei lacked, but we'll have to see how things turn out.

Yeah, I'd give Scherbak a year in the farm. Unless he has an absolute monster of a camp.

That would likely be the case, that he spends at least a year in the AHL, but if we don't fill the hole at forward via trade/FA signing then some rookie is likely going to have to step up. I am against rushing players to the NHL since the Habs have been burned too many times, but we'll have to see how management thinks of the him and others. If they keep him in the AHL then hopefully he does well and shows improvement over the season, if they give him a look I just hope they try him with Galchenyuk and not say on the 4th line, although I do believe that players need to earn their way, I think he's a special talent that could help us win games. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
up there with "patrick kane" hahaah this board.

Same board expecting MB to get a top 6 player at all cost not taking cap considerations and stuff like that.:sarcasm:

While he was obviously never up there with Patrick Kane, S. Kostitsyn did play on the same line as Kane in juniors.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I think Galchenyuk would benefit greatly from improved foot speed and skating, but get his nose dirty more would also help matters. That doesn't mean he won't be a quality NHLer as I don't think his speed/skating are major issues that will hold him back, just that he could stand to be better at them whereas Scherbak is quicker/better skater and that could improve more in the next few years.

it's an interesting thought, really was disappointed in how things turned out for Kostitsyn (well both actually) but with the way Sergei played in the OHL and AHL I thought he was going to be a heck of an NHLer for us. The thing with Scherbak is he's highly skilled plus he's got the size that Sergei lacked, but we'll have to see how things turn out.

That would likely be the case, that he spends at least a year in the AHL, but if we don't fill the hole at forward via trade/FA signing then some rookie is likely going to have to step up. I am against rushing players to the NHL since the Habs have been burned too many times, but we'll have to see how management thinks of the him and others. If they keep him in the AHL then hopefully he does well and shows improvement over the season, if they give him a look I just hope they try him with Galchenyuk and not say on the 4th line, although I do believe that players need to earn their way, I think he's a special talent that could help us win games. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I think Scherbak has more upside than SK had but maybe not 'quite' as much as AK. AK could've been an absolute beast. I think he could've been damn near a 40/40 player.

AK seemed/seems more skilled but he was also built like a tank. Scherbak has a height/reach advantage and seems a bit quicker.

Scherbak's bulking up though is very interesting. I didn't think he'd bulk up that much that quick. If he ends up north of 210 he could be mighty scary. The good thing is Scherbak seems to have it between the ears.

God I hope Galch and Scherbak reach their potential.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Few of us thought Gallagher would be an impact NHL forward in his first pro season.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

That link is wrong. That's a pass from DSP (I think) that banked off the boards, and Subban just tees it up and wires it.

Slap pass:

They scored a lot of fun goals early on last season. It's a shame Therrien told them to stop. :sarcasm:

Wow. He didn't even hesitate. He just fired it to Subban. This is just a microcosm of why I think Galchenyuk has star potential. He has all the talent you could ask for, and he thinks the game at a high level.

Last edited by a moderator:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
That link is wrong. That's a pass from DSP (I think) that banked off the boards, and Subban just tees it up and wires it.

Wow. He didn't even hesitate. He just fired it to Subban. This is just a microcosm of why I think Galchenyuk has star potential. He has all the talent you could ask for, and he thinks the game at a high level.

Weird, on the post preview it displayed the correct goal. But yes, it was the philly goal to which I was referring. Ridiculous pass.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think Scherbak has more upside than SK had but maybe not 'quite' as much as AK. AK could've been an absolute beast. I think he could've been damn near a 40/40 player.

AK seemed/seems more skilled but he was also built like a tank. Scherbak has a height/reach advantage and seems a bit quicker.

Scherbak's bulking up though is very interesting. I didn't think he'd bulk up that much that quick. If he ends up north of 210 he could be mighty scary. The good thing is Scherbak seems to have it between the ears.

God I hope Galch and Scherbak reach their potential.

AK was on the slow side though, whereas Scherbak is much quicker imo. AK had that really heavy shot though that Scherbak doesn't and while he was a tank he often didn't know how to use his size. I would assume that Scherbak ends up north of 210 since he's only 19 and already 204.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
AK was on the slow side though, whereas Scherbak is much quicker imo. AK had that really heavy shot though that Scherbak doesn't and while he was a tank he often didn't know how to use his size. I would assume that Scherbak ends up north of 210 since he's only 19 and already 204.

AK's top speed was fine just like we both said, he wasn't nearly as quick as Scherbak.
Scherbak's shot looks more comparable to SK's. Not a force of nature but decent enough. Can't wait to see how he plays next year.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada

AK couldn't set up his own shot because he didn't have the footwork. Maybe that's how Mike Bossy would have turned out had he played today, who knows. Joe Sakic he is not.

V-2 Schneider

Mar 8, 2004
Scherbak reminds me so much of Peter Bondra, it's uncanny. Same type of explosive skating, low stance, gliding and turning, along with a sniper's release and fast playmaker hands.He's better at playing without the puck than Bondra was when he came into the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad