Player Discussion Nikita Scherbak: Scherby-Dooby-Doo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
I've been saying since the summer I think he gets traded, unless their isn't much of a market for him and then maybe they carry him on the roster till they need to make room. If they can't get anything of value for him, maybe they could try to see if he would clear waivers but I don't think he would. But maybe with him being injured, not playing much this year, perhaps he would clear but I'd be a bit surprised if he did clear and not sure they would try it. But at the end of the day it doesn't matter as it's unlikely he'll ever be a player that CJ will trust and want to put out there unless it's with guys that are really strong in their own end.

they can, the only thing they have to worry about is if the league thinks they are trying to circumvent waivers but I don't see how the league could say anything, the guy has barely played all year and just injured his knee.

I hope they do. He needs to get some consecutive games in, so that he can earn his coach’s trust, or raise his value.

Last edited:

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Our offence has struggled, our PP has sucked all year.. two areas where Scherbak can potentially help us. Hopefully he's given one last shot because I doubt we get anything decent for him in a trade right now.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Chaput is good in the faceoffs and that's about it. He played 7min yesterday... he's about to be send down.

He's been good on pk and on the cycle. his line with him over peca has had the puck in the ozone more.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Our offence has struggled, our PP has sucked all year.. two areas where Scherbak can potentially help us. Hopefully he's given one last shot because I doubt we get anything decent for him in a trade right now.

I'm open to giving him a shot but he's not going to help our PP. He has a long way to go before the coaches start trusting him in key situations. Skill is there for sure, it's between the ears which seems to be the problem.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Zykov has another year left on his contract. Could scare some teams.

I don't think it would, he's 23 and it's a 675K cap hit. If you are picking Zykov it's because of what you think he can do in the future so unless the team that were to pick him wants him in the AHL but doesn't want to him 700K to play there, I wouldn't think it would be much of an issue. It would be interesting if he clears to see what the Habs do, or even if he doesn't maybe rush to see if they can push him through since there doesn't seem to be a place on the team for him under CJ anyway.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
My only question of how this relates to Scherbak is: given I would claim Zykov, what does that mean for Scherbak? To me nothing, because I would get rid of some of the deadwood ahead of young players with offensive potential like Scherbak and Zykov - such as Peca and Deslauriers.

What do we have to lose?

We should be building for the future. Scherbak and Zykov have a better future potential. Plus they help the tank in the short run.

Jul 6, 2016
My only question of how this relates to Scherbak is: given I would claim Zykov, what does that mean for Scherbak? To me nothing, because I would get rid of some of the deadwood ahead of young players with offensive potential like Scherbak and Zykov - such as Peca and Deslauriers.

What do we have to lose?

We should be building for the future. Scherbak and Zykov have a better future potential. Plus they help the tank in the short run.

Peca and DLO are 4th liners. You put Zykov and Scherbak on a 4th... and it becomes a disaster. If you don't have space on the top-9 for them, it is because they don't deserve to be regular NHL players at all. Or are lacking in some key aspects of their game.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
if he passes maybe they will feel Scherbak will pass.

If he passes Scherbak should pass too. The main difference between the two is two teams gave up on Zykov while only one gave up on Scherbak. 2+ teams giving up is usually a good sign of someone not having what it takes. 1 team it's always a little bit tricky.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Peca and DLO are 4th liners. You put Zykov and Scherbak on a 4th... and it becomes a disaster. If you don't have space on the top-9 for them, it is because they don't deserve to be regular NHL players at all. Or are lacking in some key aspects of their game.

I'm ready to think long term. If they have holes in their game that can be fixed, better to develop them than play guys with low ceilings.

We need to look to find eventual upgrades to some guys that are currently in our top 9.

Zykov had 33 goals in the AHL last year - in 63 games. And, 7 points in 10 games in the NHL.

Look at how well Skinner is flourishing now that he's out of Carolina.

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
Scherbak will never get a chance here. Julien was just praising our 4th line of DLo-Chaput-Agostino - you know, the one he expected to get us back in the game with 2 minutes remaining against the Bruins. He'd rather play those 3 instead of Hudon and Peca, so Scherbak will never play unless there's 5 or 6 injuries.

Not saying he'll amount to anything, but this season, I would give him a chance before any of the 26 year-old AHLers on the 4th line.

Bye Scherbie.

Jul 6, 2016
I'm ready to think long term. If they have holes in their game that can be fixed, better to develop them than play guys with low ceilings.

We need to look to find eventual upgrades to some guys that are currently in our top 9.

Zykov had 33 goals in the AHL last year - in 63 games. And, 7 points in 10 games in the NHL.

Look at how well Skinner is flourishing now that he's out of Carolina.

You will know tomorrow at noon which NHL team sees what you are seing... There is about 15-20 teams below the Habs that could claim him.

Last edited:
Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
You will know tomorrow at noon which NHL team sees what you are seing... There is about 15-20 teams below the Habs tat could claim him.

Yeah and although I'm mainly stat watching with Zykov, I just don't think we have much to lose. Our top 9 needs upgrades and I'd sacrifice a current 4th liner in order to give Zykov a chance to round out his game on the 4th line and hopefully eventually overtake a current player in our top 9.

Jul 6, 2016
Yeah and although I'm mainly stat watching with Zykov, I just don't think we have much to lose. Our top 9 needs upgrades and I'd sacrifice a current 4th liner in order to give Zykov a chance to round out his game on the 4th line and hopefully eventually overtake a current player in our top 9.

our top-9 with everyone healthy is not as bad as you may think

Drouin-Domi-Shaw
Tatar-Danault-Gally
Byron-Kotka-Lehkonen or Armia or Hudon
DeLo-Peca-Chaput-Agostino- Scherbak ?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
our top-9 with eveyone healthy is not as bad as you may think

Drouin-Domi-Shaw
Tatar-Danault-Gally
Byron-Kotka-Lehkonen or Armia or Hudon
DeLo-Peca-Chaput-Agostino- Scherbak ?

Every player in that top 9 is a "solid player." It just needs more offensive punch. I have Armia as a 4th liner. And, Lehkonen and Hudon are playing like 4th liners now. And, to me, Shaw either maintains this production and can stay with Drouin and Domi, or he should be back on the 4th line. He will hurt any other line he plays on offensively.

Jul 6, 2016
Every player in that top 9 is a "solid player." It just needs more offensive punch. I have Armia as a 4th liner. And, Lehkonen and Hudon are playing like 4th liners now. And, to me, Shaw either maintains this production and can stay with Drouin and Domi, or he should be back on the 4th line. He will hurt any other line he plays on offensively.

Zykov is NOT your solution then. You need a way better player to really improve that top-9.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Zykov is NOT your solution then. You need a way better player to really improve that top-9.

He's not now. But he may be in the future. Same with Scherbak.

We missed the players this summer that our GM should have upgraded our top 9 with (Skinner, Perron, Duclair).

I'd rather see a 4th line of Agostino Chaput Zukov than Agostino Chaput Deslauriers because of Zykov's potential for growth.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille