Player Discussion Nikita Scherbak: Scherby-Dooby-Doo

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Sherbak got injured a bunch and resisted coaching. He was also slow. That it isn’t the organizations fault.

he has lost a lot of time to injuries, I don't know if he resisted coaching, where did you hear that? I also don't think he's slow. The organization did a text book case of how not to develop talent imo. You have a 19 year old kid that had a major knee injury in the off-season, he goes to the AHL and doesn't look 100%, gets injured, comes back and gets injured in his first game.

So after being out all off-season, and most of the regular season, when he comes back they move him to a much more difficult position that he didn't play in juniors so he hasn't played for years. Meanwhile all the other players are in mid season form while a just turned 20 year old Scherbak has had 2 major injuries and his defensive game was shit so moving him to a brand new position at this time while also putting more pressure on his already weak defensive game. So of course he gets exposed, they give up and move him back to RW, then for some reason put him at LW. All while trying to get his legs back.

Then the next year they put him with Audette, they were tied at the hip, the problem though is you have the 2 youngest forwards playing together all the time, two forwards with weak defensive games and not the best efforts and worst of all two playmakers. Finally they put him with Hudon and Terry later in the season.

Way too much rumbling for a player who doesn’t have the skill to be an nhl top 6 player nor the intelligence or drive to even be a bottom 6 player.

Literally a player of zero use.

total BS, Scherbak at 21/22 was on pace for 87 pts in Laval last year on the worst team in the league. He certainly has the skill to be in the top 6 if you can live with his mistakes and boneheaded plays at times. He could be in the KHL in a year or two or maybe he starts to put it together but he's not short on skill.

Definitely the .org.’s fault for drafting him. Can’t be that they just noticed how slow he is.

I don't think he's that slow but I would question Timmins and his staff for drafting a kid in the 1st round with questionable work ethic. He has a bit of an odd skating stride but I never thought he was slow.

Reactions: Et le But
Apr 28, 2010
I don't think he's that slow but I would question Timmins and his staff for drafting a kid in the 1st round with questionable work ethic. He has a bit of an odd skating stride but I never thought he was slow.

I think at this time, they chose skills/stats over work ethic. We needed it at the time. (We still do)

Kinda like with McCarron, they chose size over pretty much anything. We also needed it at the time.

With this organization, can't really question how they scout for players with good work ethic. I mean just look at our lineup right now. Very hardworking, just not talented enough.

But yeah, I'm not sure anymore if we're just unlucky or they don't know how to develop young guys. Thinking a little bit of both.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
In regards to the draft record, the only possible thing more foolish than making terrible picks would be to clearly know that the picks have busted, but still hang on to the dream until the players are are 26 years old.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
In regards to the draft record, the only possible thing more foolish than making terrible picks would be to clearly know that the picks have busted, but still hang on to the dream until the players are are 26 years old.

Scherbak wasnt a terrible pick. And I remember clearly that almost everyone including was in his bandwagon to draft him. Also, I dont blame just the Habs for this whole mess. Even if the stats were there, I think the worst place where he was been mismanaged was over Kevin Constantine's regime back to Everett days. Another example where you put a lion in cage long enough to make the predator a victime of the system

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
can't believe we waived Scherbak instead of Chaput/D'Agostino/Peca/Deslauriers.
I know. f***ing idiots.

Whose position in the top 9 should he have taken?
Top 12 you mean. Hudon. Way way more potential.

No. Making terrible picks in the first round is more stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
We missed Pasternak by 1 place. Nobody after Sherbak, and many before him, have accomplished much either. Ho Sang is about the only other option.

Ho Sang isn't waiver-eligible. Would have saved us that.

Reactions: Bacchus1

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
This kid will feel hard done by. I did not care about whether we should keep him or not, but I feel we could have got something in return. Its a good gamble for L.A.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Top 12 you mean. Hudon. Way way more potential.
Hudon's got one foot out the door but Scherbak's gotta show something to his coaches. That's just how it is in the NHL. Nobody gives you a shot until you force them (or have enough reputation and hype). Scherbak knows he didn't earn a spot.

I wish he was handled better but it is what it is. These old boys clubs want any excuse to make an example of a perceived lazy young player.

Reactions: Vachon23

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
he has lost a lot of time to injuries, I don't know if he resisted coaching, where did you hear that? I also don't think he's slow. The organization did a text book case of how not to develop talent imo. You have a 19 year old kid that had a major knee injury in the off-season, he goes to the AHL and doesn't look 100%, gets injured, comes back and gets injured in his first game.

So after being out all off-season, and most of the regular season, when he comes back they move him to a much more difficult position that he didn't play in juniors so he hasn't played for years. Meanwhile all the other players are in mid season form while a just turned 20 year old Scherbak has had 2 major injuries and his defensive game was **** so moving him to a brand new position at this time while also putting more pressure on his already weak defensive game. So of course he gets exposed, they give up and move him back to RW, then for some reason put him at LW. All while trying to get his legs back.

Then the next year they put him with Audette, they were tied at the hip, the problem though is you have the 2 youngest forwards playing together all the time, two forwards with weak defensive games and not the best efforts and worst of all two playmakers. Finally they put him with Hudon and Terry later in the season.

total BS, Scherbak at 21/22 was on pace for 87 pts in Laval last year on the worst team in the league. He certainly has the skill to be in the top 6 if you can live with his mistakes and boneheaded plays at times. He could be in the KHL in a year or two or maybe he starts to put it together but he's not short on skill.

Chris Nilan mentioned some lazy floating habits, and that the coaches wanted him to play more of and aggressive quick style. Specifically, he mentioned when the puck went back down the ice that Sherbak wouldn’t skate, but would take a long loopy line back.

When I saw him play I also noticed that he lacked effort when he played. He showed it a bit, but usually when he was attacking, not defending.

Watching him play I thought that he needed a lot of work, looked weak on his feet, lacked quickness and effort, and too rarely showed high offensively IQ.

Sure, he had a tough road being shifted about, but I don’t think that was the issue with Sherbak. I think it was effort, dedication, and commitment to off-ice training.

Reactions: Vachon23

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Disappointing that we lost DLR and now Scherbak for nothing. Very curious to see how these two do on new teams over the next few seasons.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well for now DLR isn't a huge loss... playing 8min a game in Detroit.

The coaches in Montreal have a lot more insight on how good/bad these guys are. They are not always right but they can be wrong. I think it's premature to say anything for sure at this stage. I do like their ceiling potential but can they reach that with another team? Time will tell.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Scherbak looked really good in his first training camp with the club and seemed to regress/didn't develop any further after that.

I find this to be the case with several prospects recently. McCarron and DLR are two other players that come to mind that looked better in their first few opportunities with the club than anything after that.

Everyone seems to hit a wall.

It's funny that the two most successful draft picks since 2008 thus far, Gallagher, Sergachev, Galchenyuk and Lekhonen, spent the least amount of team in the AHL.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->