Player Discussion Nikita Scherbak: Scherby-Dooby-Doo

Status
Not open for further replies.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

It's going to be fun watching him this year.

And for those who may have missed it:

Okay. So let's review:

He really likes Montreal. Maybe will be one of those one in a dozen guys who will really want to play in Montreal and even want to retire in the Jersey.

He is a high skill player.

He is fun to watch.

He has a personality.

He is Russian.

CJ is the coach. MB the GM.

Yep. Checks all the boxes. Trade bait. Too bad, I like him.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
At some point, I hope they cut him some slack for his defensive play or intensity, kid is skilled, very skilled, great hands, very good agility and nice vision, a real playmaker who can score in highlight fashion once in a while. Of course he needs to come back in his zone and hopefully cover the right guy, but I want a skilled top-6 player out of him, not another goddamn 2-way guy. Really needs to bulk up though, and reinforce those limbs, especially his lower body (yet again).

Ducharme will work with him, there lies my hopes in his case, cause CJ probably won't tolerate his lackadaisical play in his zone...

And intensity, well, I'm a firm believer that, once you have a skilled player, you work with him, you may let him get 'asleep' for some shifts (as long as he doesn't let opponents create too many plays), cause you know that he can change the game in an instant if he wants to. Reminds me of the 'Most frustrating player' thread, and Kovalev in particular, yeah, sometimes he just wasn't there, but could take control of the game in any instant, and other teams don't expect that. Not saying Scherbak can do what Kovalev could, but in the offensive zone, he's dangerous when he has the puck, that's for certain.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I'm just worried about the injuries and not keeping his head up. Love his improvement over the last few years. Would love to see what he can do playing with top top talent. Hopefully Kotka and a couple more high picks will do the trick.

Reactions: Fixxer

TouzY

Dec 1, 2014
Quebec
Whitesnake gonna be mad as hell once Scherback puts up 50 points this year
Even if he stacks 50points Claude Julien will play him under 10min/game. No staff on this team has a decent understanding of how to develop young talent. They know grinders though....

Reactions: montreal and Mrb1p

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Even if he stacks 50points Claude Julien will play him under 10min/game. No staff on this team has a decent understanding of how to develop young talent. They know grinders though....

He averaged 13:26 TOI in 26 NHL games with 56.8% of o-zone starts last season. He played over 15 minutes in 6 of those 26 games. He played between 12 minutes to 15 minutes in another 15 of those games. And in only one game he played less than 10 minutes, and that was the game against LA where he got hurt and left the game (an injury he require surgery for).

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Scherbak is one of those kids who will make that season less boring to watch since he is very skilled... If he improves his skating strength defensive play and decision making under pressure, we get a player here, but thats alot to ask and unlikely to happen at that stage of his carreer... how much he can improve on his weaknesses will make the difference between a good or a marginal top 6 player... I would compare him to Evgeni Svechnikov since both are obviously skilled but still have alot to prove at the next level...

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I'm just worried about the injuries and not keeping his head up. Love his improvement over the last few years. Would love to see what he can do playing with top top talent. Hopefully Kotka and a couple more high picks will do the trick.

Good point. He has improved, both offensively and defensively (though not as much the latter) in those years. If Scherbak continues to progress at the NHL level (as he grows into his body and bulks up a little), he'll surprise a few with the impact he can have, I'm sure.

That's probably why he was mentioned along with Petry (TO is looking for a top-3 D) and a 2nd rounder in a potential deal for Nylander. Of course, TO allegedly refused.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Scherbak is one of those kids who will make that season less boring to watch since he is very skilled... If he improves his skating strength defensive play and decision making under pressure, we get a player here, but thats alot to ask and unlikely to happen at that stage of his carreer... how much he can improve on his weaknesses will make the difference between a good or a marginal top 6 player... I would compare him to Evgeni Svechnikov since both are obviously skilled but still have alot to prove at the next level...

Scherback has a better PPG by something like .65 for last season, one is busting, the other is already a top 6 player.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Scherback has a better PPG by something like .65 for last season, one is busting, the other is already a top 6 player.
Scherbak already a top 6??? :confused: He has 6 pts in 26 games played last year, tell me you are not joking here...

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
If hes good enough to put up 1.15 PPG in the AHL hes good enough to be a top six player in the NHL.
Ton of players have good AHL stats and dont amount to anything in the NHL, the NHL is the ultimate league where your weaknesses are exposed the most and as far as I know, Scherbak is a weak 200 ft player with strength and decision making issues, he isnt a NHL top 6 yet... The kid had 6 pts in 26 games played last year, scoring some highlight goals once in a while doesnt make you a NHL player.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Ton of players have good AHL stats and dont amount to anything in the NHL, the NHL is the ultimate league where your weaknesses are exposed the most and as far as I know, Scherbak is a weak 200 ft player with strength and decision making issues, he isnt a NHL top 6 yet... The kid had 6 pts in 26 games played last year, scoring some highlight goals once in a while doesnt make you a NHL player.
Tons of 22 years old?

Also, he played like 3 minutes on average, on the fourth line, with Byron Froese.

Who cares about defensive game, let him focus on offense.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Tons of 22 years old?

Also, he played like 3 minutes on average, on the fourth line, with Byron Froese.

Who cares about defensive game, let him focus on offense.
I dont care since we are in tank mode, I would care if the Habs were competing... Scherbak still has alot to prove and improve in order to become a good top 6 player, he was a marginal NHLer last year, now lets see next camp where he is at in his development...

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
For some reason I always forget about him when I think about the potential lineups for this year. It's weird, since he's a former 1st round pick too.

Looking forward to see what he can do this year. Hopefully he can play quite a few minutes in the top six.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad