Nico Hischier

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
I find it funny that a lot of guys cherry pick that Halls improvement came mostly on the pp to argue that Nico didn't make Hall any better, but seem to ignore that this also means that Hall didn't carry Hischier as much as they say. As mentioned before the two almost never played on the man advantage together. Hall was 19th amongst forwards at even strength points last season wich is still very good, but not at the very top of the league like the "Hart Winner Hall put Hischier on his back" narrative suggests...

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
He was a better draft prospect than Kopitar, Getzlaf, Barzal, Kuznetsov, Barkov and Backstrom yet he only has low end 1st line center potential...if all goes well he will be a HHOF player, most top prospects have that potential.

Reactions: NJ DevLolz

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Wow Hischier is underrated by all the none hockey watchers around here. Hischier could have had around 66 points in his rookie season if he scored 20 PPP. With his offensive talent the kid is going to put up respectful PP figures.

He faced harder competition than Laine, Barzal, etc. He did not look out of place one bit.

This kid has top notch skills, defensive ability, and drive. He is going to be a real 1C you can win with, no doubt. Hopefully NJ can add the rest of the pieces.

Its so crazy that all it takes is for a player to go a certain team and he becomes some nobody questionable talent. If this kid went to Toronto instead of Matthews he would be the next big thing. Everyone would understand Hischiers dynamic skill set if he was drafted to a big team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Colin226 and Oneiro

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
How many Devils games did you watch last season? I don't even have an issue with him being around a 70 point player who is great defensively, but I'm wondering what you're basing your evaluation off of.

Obviously not nearly as much as you guys but I did catch some devils games down the stretch as I had a bit of extra interest in the Hart race this year. I didn’t see the super high end offensive ability that guys regularly hit ppg tend to have. I’m not saying he absolutely can’t get there but I think he’d have to make an unexpected developmental leap to make it.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Textbook thread of anti-NJ bias.

Looking forward to reading this again and again in the next few years.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Obviously not nearly as much as you guys but I did catch some devils games down the stretch as I had a bit of extra interest in the Hart race this year. I didn’t see the super high end offensive ability that guys regularly hit ppg tend to have. I’m not saying he absolutely can’t get there but I think he’d have to make an unexpected developmental leap to make it.
keep in mind he was the youngest player in the league and only in his second year on NA ice. Also he played a majority of the season with an injured hand/wrist

OlfactoryHughes

Aug 8, 2007
Northern California
Many laughable tales in this thread.

Kid put up the numbers that throw him in the conversation with other 1OA’s in their d+1 year. ESPECIALLY the 2.4/60.

More importantly to Devil fans, was the eye test, he poccesses the kind of talent, that we are not used to seeing in 18 year olds, and it was obvious. Defensively. Offensively. In transition.

EVen more importantly, is the character and the drive of the player, the leadership ability. Which is what actually gives me more confidence then anything.

I think this kid will be special, unique, and give other superstar players a run for their money when we play heads up. (May not beat their point totals, but will outplay them and win one on one matchups, when it counts)

Reactions: mtnet

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
No, it wouldn't be. O'Reilly is excellent-- stop being unreasonable

Nico had similar stats to him (outscored him greatly at ES) this year while playing 4+ minutes per night less

yes, it would be disappointing based on what Nico already showed (as an 18/19 year old)

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
There was a "weakest #1 overall evar" narrative associated with Nico that's just going to follow him. In general, people never like to admit that they might have been wrong, so that won't change with respect to Hischier until he actually puts up the numbers.

The amount of people that think he won't, or doesn't have the potential to, appreciably improve on his 18-year-old numbers is hilarious, though.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Did he even play on top powerplay? You know Matthews would be easily ppg if he had better powerplay deployment.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Did he even play on top powerplay? You know Matthews would be easily ppg if he had better powerplay deployment.
Hischier? No he did not. He was 8th on the Devils among forwards in PP TOI/GP. Our 2nd unit was an inept joke with a revolving door of different players. Matthews was first in that on the Leafs last year, 4th this year.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Hischier? No he did not. He was 8th on the Devils among forwards in PP TOI/GP. Our 2nd unit was an inept joke with a revolving door of different players. Matthews was first in that on the Leafs last year, 4th this year.
So he plays on top unit and is top10 in points among centers?

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
I can't believe a lot of people are low on him. He won't set the world on fire in scoring but he will be a sure fire top line center in the league with his two-way ability. In five years I would guess that he would be around the 10th best center in the league.

Offseason Champs

May 16, 2011
I know there's a lot of back and forth, and the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. In the end, the kid is 19, just had a pretty solid rookie season, and the jury is completely still out on if he can improve from it or if it was a flash in the pan. It's much easier to say he'll top out as a 60 point player than an 80. There's not a lot of evidence from his rookie season that he'll gain 30 points on average to be considered with the top centers in the league.

However I'm sure everyone in the thread agrees that it's likely he has the potential to improve upon his season and become a better player, especially as he matures and his frame fills out some. We can all go get upset in two years if he continues to put up great numbers and people continue to naysay him, but talking down about a rookie who had one season in the books so far isn't super unheard of. I'm sure many people will also say the jury is still out on if someone like Barzal is going to be super legit or if it's just a one year wonder.

Think we need to pump the brakes a bit on this thread in general.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I think he tops out as a 70-80 point, 2-way guy in his prime years. Similar to David Krejci.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
his chief has great underlying stats already - borderline top 10.

if he can do that again in bigger minutes, He's looking far better than most of the comparables being used in this thread.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
his chief has great underlying stats already - borderline top 10.

if he can do that again in bigger minutes, He's looking far better than most of the comparables being used in this thread.

Right, the "underlying" stats, the "eye test," and the HF Boards myth of infinite forward progression (i.e. just imagine where he'll be in eight years!).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad