Nico Hischier

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
How much untapped potential does he have left? Can he become a top 10 or 15 centre? He had a very good rookie season. He had more points as a rookie than Thornton, Lecavalier, Stamkos and Hall, but is there much room for improvement and growth?

BeastoftheEast85

Dec 31, 2010
New Jersey
I believe there is a huge amount of room for growth. He is relatively young even for his draft and under developed physically. His underlyers are all in line or better than most recent picks except McDavid. I believe he is on track to be a top 10-15 center with top 5 potential.

TwoPiece

Jul 24, 2018
I think he'll be a consistent 20-goal and 60-point scorer, and Selke Trophy nominee/finalist/winner, for a long time during his prime years. I doubt he'll top 30 goals or 80 points, but I've been wrong before.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Lecavalier, Thornton, and Stamkos all had very underwhelming rookie seasons so it’s not very impressive out scoring them. All of the other recent 1st overall forwards had a higher ppg in their rookie seasons (even Yakapov). Hischier didn’t get much pp time but he also played almost entirely with the Hart trophy winner so that more than offsets his lack of pp production. He’s a good player but more of a Duchene than what you normally would expect to get out of a 1st overall pick.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I believe there is a huge amount of room for growth. He is relatively young even for his draft and under developed physically. His underlyers are all in line or better than most recent picks except McDavid. I believe he is on track to be a top 10-15 center with top 5 potential.
He isn't young for his draft. He's born in the first 4 months of his class (guys young in that class would be Vilardi and Suzuki). I also wouldn't say his underliers are better than Matthews d+1, and it would be behind MacKinnon's too. He could become a top 5 center, but I'd expect him more in the 10-15 range.

Reactions: lawrence and 135ace

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I don’t think he has that high of a ceiling to be honest.

He had an okay rookie season next to the hart winner. I think RNH is a good comparable to him, and honestly RNH had a better rookie season with much less around him.
So RNH now, a low end 1C is where I think he ends up.

Top 5 and even top 10 future center talk is insane. That’s Matthews/Eichel/Barkov/Mackinnon level and he quite obviously is on a much lower level

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ

He had an okay rookie season next to the hart winner. I think RNH is a good comparable to him, and honestly RNH had a better rookie season with much less around him.

Top 5 and even top 10 future center talk is insane. That’s Matthews/Eichel/Barkov/Mackinnon level and he quite obviously is on a much lower level

Hmm, maybe there is a reason that Hall had a career year...ever think that maybe both players benefitted from each other?

RNH comparison is lazy. His rookie year was loaded up with PPPs. His ES scoring was not nearly as consistent.

I expect Nico to be a 60-70 point #1C with consistent Selke considerations. It wouldn't surprise me if he has a 80 point season or so at his peak either.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Not many players peak at 19, so I think he definitely will get better.

Pretty awesome player already from the games I’ve seen.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Nico earned his time next to Hall and they benefited off of each other much more than people think. Of course playing with Hall helped but it wasn't a one-way street, Hall gained a lot playing with Nico too. And people saying otherwise are just being flat out lazy and didn't watch any of the games.

It's hard to say where Nico's ceiling is. He's a very talented player with an excellent work ethic. I could see him putting up a few PPG+ seasons down the line with excellent defense.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I'm not sure where you're getting that Hischier was young for his draft year. If he was born just 4 months earlier he would have been eligible for the '16 draft. He's the 20th youngest player from the first round of his draft class.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
It's actually not unreasonable to predict Nico to top out as a 60 point center. That's still a decent player in my eyes. Add in some very good 2 way and defensive play, and you've got a really good player on your hands. Bo Horvat comes to mind when I think of this type. Granted, he was not a 1st OA player, but 9th.

Edit: He might add in a 70 point season here or there, but I expect his average to be around 60-65 pts

Edit #2: See also, RNH. A weaker #1 pick, but still a good, consistent 60 point center, with good 2 way and defensive play. Both good comparables for Nico

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

RNH had a very high oiSH% in all situations. Hischeir was high at 5v5, but didn't get first PP unit time or have a good oiSH% with the man up. I viewed him as an RNH/Duchene level talent when he entered the league, I now think he might be slightly better, but a career like Duchene's without the crazy down years (Duchene's 2016/17 and 2011/12) seems like a reasonable projection in my eyes.

TwoPiece

Jul 24, 2018
Are you using an extreme outlier to prove a point? Most players improve from their rookie season. Some dont, sure, but its reasonable to expect that most will.
I'm not trying to "prove a point". I have an opinion. There are no guarantees when discussing the future of a player's success (or otherwise). I'm using a statistical history to provide you with an example of why it's not a guarantee that he improves upon his rookie season. Reasonable doubt.

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
RNH had a very high oiSH% in all situations. Hischeir was high at 5v5, but didn't get first PP unit time or have a good oiSH% with the man up. I viewed him as an RNH/Duchene level talent when he entered the league, I now think he might be slightly better, but a career like Duchene's without the crazy down years (Duchene's 2016/17 and 2011/12) seems like a reasonable projection in my eyes.
All of that is fair enough. I agree with you

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
It's actually not unreasonable to predict Nico to top out as a 60 point center. That's still a decent player in my eyes. Add in some very good 2 way and defensive play, and you've got a really good player on your hands. Bo Horvat comes to mind when I think of this type. Granted, he was not a 1st OA player, but 9th.

Edit: He might add in a 70 point season here or there, but I expect his average to be around 60-65 pts

Edit #2: See also, RNH. A weaker #1 pick, but still a good, consistent 60 point center, with good 2 way and defensive play. Both good comparables for Nico

Those are pretty bad comparisons...especially Horvat. Their games are not similar is any way.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think he's going to develop into a consistent 65-75 point a yr. guy. Thinking he's going to be a part of a good Devils team over the next few yrs.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Those are pretty bad comparisons...especially Horvat. Their games are not similar is any way.
I was merely stating points wise and 2 way play, that's all. A Horvat level type player. Don't be upset because your 1st OA may turn out to be a weaker one

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I was merely stating points wise and 2 way play, that's all. A Horvat level type player. Don't be upset because your 1st OA may turn out to be a weaker one

I'm not upset...look at my earlier post, I said I expect a 60-70 point #1 center.

I just think your comparisons are lazy.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
He’ll get better but to 5 center is being delusional, he does not have near that potential. I don’t see him being more than a low end 1C but thats my opinion.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
He’ll get better but to 5 center is being delusional, he does not have near that potential. I don’t see him being more than a low end 1C but thats my opinion.

Top 5 is a bit aggressive for sure, but I could see him as a top 15 center, maybe edging closer to 10 at his peak.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I similarly think it's funny that people would project Hischier at a Bo Horvat level, who matched Hischier's D+1 in his D+4 year. That doesn't make any sense. Moreover, RNH would've been a better player if he were given more time to develop physically, and wasn't surrounded with only kids. I think it's fair to believe that Hischier has the same level of talent as RNH, but is developing in better circumstances, which will result in a better player.

Point totals will vary with the way the league calls penalties, but I think he'll be a top-25 scorer. And he has the hockey sense to make his teammates better. I thought the same thing about RNH, but I think Nico is much more likely to reach that level with consistency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad