Player Discussion Nicklas Backstrom

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I'm sure GMGM and Mahoney knew who they wanted, but you asked why McPhee went back to Mahoney and there's only so many funny ways we can mock GMGM about this, he nailed it after all.
I was just wondering if there was a legit reason to do Bruins like that or he was just trolling. But yeah, I guess he was just having fun lol.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
What’s funny is the Bruins easily could’ve said “we want Hot Dog (Kessel)” and Caps may have done the deal.....thinking the Swede would be there at 5.

I’d have to look and see who was avail at 37 back then

edit — Caps already has 3 2nds that year as it was. 34/35/52 = Neuvirth, Bouchard, Seabrook.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Agent fees are in the 3-5% range, so not trivial at all when talking about $50M deals, but probably not enough to make cap considerations the driver. I think Nick said he felt like he knew enough and wanted to learn the rest about the process, and didn't feel the need to spend the agent fees, but I doubt it altered the deal much. He got the same exact cap % on this deal as he got on his first long deal, so the two sides obviously agreed on overall compensation numbers.

At this point in their career I start to wonder what Backstrom (and AOs) post career jobs might look like. Guess we can't rule out becoming an agent for Backstrom yet.

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
I also liked Mahoney saying " lets make it look real official and put my hand over the microphone"

Oscar worthy.
I think the conversation was going on prior to the 4th pick if I remember correctly and they didn't want to tip their hand on who we wanted because it could have changed things for other teams maybe? Spit balling here but I thought that was the circumstances as well.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I wonder how good Backstrom could have been had he been the lead player on a good team? He's so understated and unselfish. Could have been a 35 goals guy on a regular basis if he needed to score more because he didnt have the passing options he does with the Caps?

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
I wonder how good Backstrom could have been had he been the lead player on a good team? He's so understated and unselfish. Could have been a 35 goals guy on a regular basis if he needed to score more because he didnt have the passing options he does with the Caps?
I don't think so. I mean he scored over 30 goals exactly once in entire career (its been 14 seasons?). Crosby almost always had a passing options during his career and still hit 30 bunch of times already. Nicky has very good wrist shot and decent snap shot but he isn't goalscorer, he would always look for a pass first even with worst line mates.

Reactions: Alexander the Gr8

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't think so. I mean he scored over 30 goals exactly once in entire career (its been 14 seasons?). Crosby almost always had a passing options during his career and still hit 30 bunch of times already. Nicky has very good wrist shot and decent snap shot but he isn't goalscorer, he would always look for a pass first even with worst line mates.

Really? Backstrom always scores more when the team needs the goals. Strikes me that its priorities. And save for when he shares the ice Malkin when has Crosby had passing options like Ovechkin, Semin, Oshie, Wilson, Kuznetsov, Williams, Green and Carlson?

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Really? Backstrom always scores more when the team needs the goals. Strikes me that its priorities. And save for when he shares the ice Malkin when has Crosby had passing options like Ovechkin, Semin, Oshie, Wilson, Kuznetsov, Williams, Green and Carlson?
Damn we had some pretty good players

Reactions: Calicaps

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Nick would be a playmaker on any team and his stat line wouldn’t change much. He would maybe have slightly more goals but slightly fewer assists. I think he would put up 30 G - 50 A - 80 pts most years of his prime.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Backstrom has the most assists (714) since he entered the League. A 28 assist lead over some other player. He is 5th in points at 971. Ovie leads with 1,119.

Backstrom is 6th in points all time for Swedish players. Only Sundin (1,349), Alfredsson (1,157), Lidstrom (1,142), H. Sedin (1,070) and D. Sedin (1,041) are ahead of him.

Backstrom is currently 11th all time in goals for Swedish players with 257. If he scores 8 more goals, he'll be in 8th place. Sundin leads with 564.

Backstrom is currently 4th all time in assists for Swedish players with 714. Only Lidstrom (878), H. Sedin (830) and Sundin (785) have more.

He is also 4th all time for Swedish players in power play points with 393 and tied for 13th all time in GWG with 38.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad