Player Discussion Nicklas Backstrom

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Aside from the obvious, I think this might be my favorite Backstrom moment.

I'm not sure I really believe this is the end yet, or maybe I'm just not willing to accept it. Whether it is or not I hate the way it's ending. Nicky deserved better.

Assists, goals, points, Cup, flashy plays ... but this shift is my favorite moment.

Oh Nicky, the end of an era. You've done all on the ice. Now it's time to enjoy with your family while your hip doesn't hurt that much.
Nostalgia moment.

Thank you for all Nicky.

Genius that didn't have all the praise that he deserves.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Since he is not retired officially. I hope he will play against Boston (the last home game - game 81). So Capital One can cheer him out one last time.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
We've been fortunate with both Nicky and OV, that they have been relatively injury free their entire careers. I can't remember a time when either Nicky or the great 8 were out for an extended period of time (particular during the playoffs). Maybe they're related to Cal Ripken in some remote way :P

Thanks for the memories, #19.

Last edited:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Didn't find any recent thread dedicated to him. The ones I found were from 2009 and before.

He had an arthroscopic hip surgery today. I didn't know he was injured, maybe that's why he slowed down against the Rangers. I hope he comes back 100% for next year.

Quoting myself from 8 years ago when I started the thread.

I hate how I started the thread talking about what would eventually end his career, even though 2015 was right in the middle of his prime.

Such an underrated and underappreciated player, and very humble as well. We would be extremely fortunate to find another Nick Backstrom. Guys like him can anchor the franchise and build a winning culture.

If this is it, it was a fantastic career. I still have some faint hope that he can be the one to put the puck on Ovi’s tape to score #895. They deserve to go out together.

DukeDog13

Dec 10, 2010
Richmond, VA
Didn't find any recent thread dedicated to him. The ones I found were from 2009 and before.

He had an arthroscopic hip surgery today. I didn't know he was injured, maybe that's why he slowed down against the Rangers. I hope he comes back 100% for next year.
Holy f*** the fact that this was literally the first post on this thread....

EDIT:

Quoting myself from 8 years ago when I started the thread.

I hate how I started the thread talking about what would eventually end his career, even though 2015 was right in the middle of his prime.

Such an underrated and underappreciated player, and very humble as well. We would be extremely fortunate to find another Nick Backstrom. Guys like him can anchor the franchise and build a winning culture.

If this is it, it was a fantastic career. I still have some faint hope that he can be the one to put the puck on Ovi’s tape to score #895. They deserve to go out together.
aaaaaand then the first post I see before my post about your post is your post about your post.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
2009-12-23
Backstrom.Ovechkin.Synchro-Turning.2009-12-23.crop.jpg

2009-12-09
Backstrom.Ovechkin.couch.2009-12-09.crop.jpg

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
And probably all subsequent years aswell. Such a shame.
Yea, it’s a bummer, but not surprising. Those joint statements were pretty dramatic, and seemed pretty clearly directed towards papering up a LTIRetirement.

But I’m glad Joe B & Locker’s PR BS was shut down quickly. (Oh, he’s working out with the team!! Just got to hold it down until he comes back).

I really didn’t want to hear that all year. If only for the sanity of this board as to whether or not they’re likely to have his cap space.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Yea, it’s a bummer, but not surprising. Those joint statements were pretty dramatic, and seemed pretty clearly directed towards papering up a LTIRetirement.

But I’m glad Joe B & Locker’s PR BS was shut down quickly. (Oh, he’s working out with the team!! Just got to hold it down until he comes back).

I really didn’t want to hear that all year. If only for the sanity of this board as to whether or not they’re likely to have his cap space.
He probably is to some extent. LTIR means he can continue to work with team's medical and training staff IINM. But clearly his time as an active Cap appears to be over.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
He probably is to some extent. LTIR means he can continue to work with team's medical and training staff IINM. But clearly his time as an active Cap appears to be over.

This. He may be experiencing soreness and limited range of motion in the hip, it would make perfect sense given the operation he had. He likely will need continued physical therapy to be comfortable. Also if they are going LTIR him, he can't just sit around on the couch eating bon bons and watching reruns. He needs to at least pretend to be trying to return, right?

I think there's no doubt Nicky gave us everything he possibly had to give. Sad ending but he damn sure tried!

Reactions: Calicaps

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010

Yeah I was thinking about that as I was watching the game and pregame. My initial reaction was same as you - what the heck are they talking about?

Then I thought about it some more and, what else can they really say? If they prematurely act like he's done they look like jerks.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Yeah I was thinking about that as I was watching the game and pregame. My initial reaction was same as you - what the heck are they talking about?

Then I thought about it some more and, what else can they really say? If they prematurely act like he's done they look like jerks.
Yea, that’s fair. And I’m sure he is still working out with the team; wasn’t implying they were lying.

I just can’t deal with constant Nick updates and how promising he looks all year. We did that the past two seasons, and all preseason this year. You don’t “step away from hockey” only to come back in January.

They can wish him well with his health and his family life and just leave it at that. It just feels like it’s Ted’s top-down messaging - he’s terrified at the prospect of turning the page. Like the casuals will suddenly realize the team is old, lol.

But yea, I’m probably being too hard on Joe and Locker for just doing their jobs in a classy manner.

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
Nice piece in the Post just now.

Nicklas Backstrom isn’t playing. His mark remains on the Capitals.​

Perspective by Barry Svrluga
Columnist|
November 15, 2023 at 3:34 p.m. EST

This is, by all reasonable measures, a high-water mark for an evolving Washington Capitals team that is not even a fifth of the way through its season. The Caps just shut out the Stanley Cup champion Vegas Golden Knights. They are on a 7-1-1 heater. They sit in second place in the Metropolitan Division. They aren’t at full strength and their power play is a mess. Yet they’re banking points under a first-year head coach.

All this, without their identity. Nicklas Backstrom’s gloves and shin pads rest above his locker at the Caps’ Arlington training facility. His padded hockey pants hang on a hook where he once sat. His teammates bustle in and out, because there is practice to be put in and games to be won. But a Capitals constant is now a casualty. It may never be the same as it ever was.
“It’s weird, you know?” veteran forward Tom Wilson said. “The ins and outs of every game, every practice, every day without him. … As a player, he carried the team for 15 years.”

I think this link will work: Post article

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad