Player Discussion Nicklas Backstrom

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Fair points here. I do recall him bit about the previouis surgery being difficult recovery. I just can't recall another non-surgical hip rehab that lasted this long that turned out well but I'm getting older and the memory is not as good. Guess trade deadline will tell the tale.

Every week that passes I feel much more the same. I just know I will be accused of drama if I present that.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
Update on Backstrom, 12 points in 12 games, now 8 points away from 1,000. Every game, getting closer to looking like the normal Nicky we're used to.

Put some respect on this guy's name!
His skating is getting better. People don't talk about his defensive play. It is obviously an asset to what has been a not so good defensive team.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Backy's looking smoother and stronger every game. Rewatched the Yotes game and he was moving really well and checking like the Backstrom of old. If he's really gonna be able to play at a high level, man oh man, that's just so huge.

Reactions: kicksavedave

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Not looks at how many games Backstrom (and Wilson) but still like a pre-season number except they are getting back into the swings wither other players that have had 3 months plus to get into regular season groove. Might take a hot minute for them to get there.

Reactions: Calicaps

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Not looks at how many games Backstrom (and Wilson) but still like a pre-season number except they are getting back into the swings wither other players that have had 3 months plus to get into regular season groove. Might take a hot minute for them to get there.

But it was fun to declare them both having ruined everything by coming back after their 1st or 2nd games. Sometimes hockey fans have the patience of a hummingbird.

Reactions: usiel and Calicaps

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I’d like to see a few of the recents game cards for each and see what they say….eye test shows them ramping up.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
But it was fun to declare them both having ruined everything by coming back after their 1st or 2nd games. Sometimes hockey fans have the patience of a hummingbird.
Also the general consensus that the 2 losses to the Flyers (and therefore the return of 19 and 43) will be to blame if the team doesn't make the playoffs. Sure it sucks losing those 4 points, but I can't help thinking that somehow the 2 months to start the season when everyone was injured and they played like poo might be the bigger factor.

Last edited:
Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Peeri

Jan 13, 2016
Western Finland
Also the general consensus that the 2 losses to the Flyers (and therefore the return of 19 and 43) will be to blame if the team doesn't make the playoffs. Sure it sucks losing those 4 points, but I can't help thinking thar somehow the 2 months to start the season when everyone was injured and they played like poo might be the bigger factor.
It's not even that how they played but they were introduced into team and team cohesion just went south after they had been playing superb hockey for a long period of time. We will see how team will respond now that they have been around for few weeks. Starting around February if they are not playing much better you could say that by adding Nick and Tom might have been negative value for the team overall, but hope for the best.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Yeah, we had no idea what Nicky would have to endure.

At least he’ll retire as a champion, with over 1,000 pts in the NHL. He’ll also be remembered as one of the greatest players from Sweden.
Hall of Fame for sure and his name forever associated with one of the greatest to ever play.

It's not even that how they played but they were introduced into team and team cohesion just went south after they had been playing superb hockey for a long period of time. We will see how team will respond now that they have been around for few weeks. Starting around February if they are not playing much better you could say that by adding Nick and Tom might have been negative value for the team overall, but hope for the best.
If you can't figure out how to be better with a 1,000+ point center and a guy so unique that all 31 other teams covet him, it's not their fault; you're doing it wrong.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Hall of Fame for sure and his name forever associated with one of the greatest to ever play.

If he were to retire today, I'm not actually sure he makes it to the Hall. 100% will get his jersey retired in Washington (assuming Ted ever unfreezes those rafters), but he doesn't have enough individual accolodes to make him a guaranteed HoF bet. Closest he's ever come to winning an individual award is a 2nd place finish for the Calder in his rookie season. Other than that, his next best is a 7th place for the Selke in 2017. Led the league is assists once (2015), but it was only with 60. He definitely has a chance, especially with the way that recent years have lowered the bar for the Hall, but I think a few more seasons to push him over the 1100 point marker would make him much harder to omit than currently. There's a lot of other guys with 1000+ points who aren't in, but almost everyone with 1100 points is (aside of JR, Damphousse, and Nicholls). He needs to get some more career separation from guys like Mogilny and Dave Taylor.

Reactions: YippieKaey

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Yeah, we had no idea what Nicky would have to endure.

At least he’ll retire as a champion, with over 1,000 pts in the NHL. He’ll also be remembered as one of the greatest players from Sweden.

For sure. But you know what, he is very underrated in Sweden. There's more talk about guys like Filip Forsberg, Zibanejad etc and they're great but Backy is probably to quiet of a guy to really step into the spotlight like those flashy guys.

Peeri

Jan 13, 2016
Western Finland
If you can't figure out how to be better with a 1,000+ point center and a guy so unique that all 31 other teams covet him, it's not their fault; you're doing it wrong.
Because Nicky today is what he was even 5 years ago. IF we would release him today I promise you the line for him will be extremely short or even more likely non-existent considering his cap hit versus the product on the ice. I know are you probably the biggest fan of the #19 here, but nostalgia gets you nowhere.

Reactions: ClevelandCapsfan

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Because Nicky today is what he was even 5 years ago. IF we would release him today I promise you the line for him will be extremely short or even more likely non-existent considering his cap hit versus the product on the ice. I know are you probably the biggest fan of the #19 here, but nostalgia gets you nowhere.
Your point? Pretty sure we all know the contract sucks….but it was a reward for the previous 10 years at a bargain rate. Does Ovechkin resign if 19 is instead shown the door? You’re acting like he’s washed....

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
Your point? Pretty sure we all know the contract sucks….but it was a reward for the previous 10 years at a bargain rate. Does Ovechkin resign if 19 is instead shown the door? You’re acting like he’s washed....
Ovi would resign regardless. It was mentioned plenty of times how proud he is to play for just one franchise. Agree with everything else.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
The concept of overpaying a guy who is past his prime to reward him for playing for less than he was worth earlier in his career is totally bizarre to me. Did somebody from the organization actually say that?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Ovi would resign regardless. It was mentioned plenty of times how proud he is to play for just one franchise. Agree with everything else.
Guarantee you he would have at least thought long and hard about his future here, if 19 was let go after his 10 year deal expired.

The concept of overpaying a guy who is past his prime to reward him for playing for less than he was worth earlier in his career is totally bizarre to me. Did somebody from the organization actually say that?
Why would the organization discuss the details of private negations? Of course not. The contract AAV said all we need to know.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
As a matter of fact yes. before they both resigned GMBM made several comments saying something like we know we will have to be a little bit Nostalgic with their contracts. Or something of that nature.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad