Player Discussion Nicklas Backstrom

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
I’m curious what you thought a guy who is .97 PPG and has been the most consistent player on our roster for a decade was going to get?
He's done immeasurable good for the franchise and has been underpaid probably his entire time in the league, but I'm just surprised he got that combination of term and length.

I'm not going to be mad if we suck in 5 years as it's been a hell of a run, but if Ovi is on over $10m, Oshie is on ~$6m and Backstrom is on $9.2m that's a lot of money in players that could be pretty slow in a few years time.

Guessing ownership wanted to pay them their dues which I respect, but I think it could be a tough contract in a few seasons time when we're trying to resign people like Vrana.

At the end of the day I'm glad he's back

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
I get the concern from some. If we were a ruthless organization like the Patriots we would let Backstrom walk and find a younger, cheaper replacement. But I like rewarding a player like Backstrom who helped rebuild a franchise and gave us our first cup.

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
In and of itself... I have no complaints.. tremendous respect for backtrom and all he has done. I would say with his age and the term he got, he is probably 1-2M overpaid (on this deal.. was underpaid on last one).. but piggy backing on some posters here, I have concerns that there are too many aging players on high cap hit deals.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Reminder that Jeff Skinner has a 9M AAV. Matt Duchene, Ryan Johansen, and Logan Couture have 8M AAV. Anze Kopitar has a 10M AAV. Jonathan Toews has a 10.5M AAV.

This isn’t overpayment when compared against other UFA-aged 1Cs. The only recent contracts this doesn’t look favorable compared to are the ones signed by RFAs (Aho, Draisatl).

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
He's done immeasurable good for the franchise and has been underpaid probably his entire time in the league, but I'm just surprised he got that combination of term and length.

I'm not going to be mad if we suck in 5 years as it's been a hell of a run, but if Ovi is on over $10m, Oshie is on ~$6m and Backstrom is on $9.2m that's a lot of money in players that could be pretty slow in a few years time.

Guessing ownership wanted to pay them their dues which I respect, but I think it could be a tough contract in a few seasons time when we're trying to resign people like Vrana.

At the end of the day I'm glad he's back
I don’t see the issue. Backstrom is literally occupying the same percentage of cap space as previously. Even if Ovi gets over 10 million he will be occupying the same percentage of cap space as now.

So we’re looking at these guys literally occupying the same space as now. We’re there really any people expecting to make a net gain in cap space after all of this?

We’re literally going to have the same percentage of space to play with as the last 10 years

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I don’t see the issue. Backstrom is literally occupying the same percentage of cap space as previously. Even if Ovi gets over 10 million he will be occupying the same percentage of cap space as now.

So we’re looking at these guys literally occupying the same space as now. We’re there really any people expecting to make a net gain in cap space after all of this?

We’re literally going to have the same percentage of space to play with as the last 10 years
Those cap hit% are at the time of the signings. Because Ovie and Nicky signed for so long last time, they’ve had 10 years of cap inflation to reduce their cap hit% on the current rosters. They won’t have 10 years left for that to happen on these contracts.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
First full NMC the Capitals have handed to any player in the cap era. Took 15+ years for it to happen.

Well, Backie getting a NMC is kinds like Tom Brady and Giselle Bunchen signing a contract that states they agree never to have a threesome with KickSaveDave. I mean sure, its unusual and was never done before, but was it really needed? The likelihood was always next to zero.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Not true, according to Lebrun:

Someone help me out with the Cap rules here. His AAV is 9.2 so that counts against our cap every year he's playing, right? But what if he retires a year or two early, when his salaries are $5 and $2M. How much would we save if he does retire, or if both I have a threesome with Tom and G, and he gets traded, say in year 4?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Someone help me out with the Cap rules here. His AAV is 9.2 so that counts against our cap every year he's playing, right? But what if he retires a year or two early, when his salaries are $5 and $2M. How much would we save if he does retire, or if both I have a threesome with Tom and G, and he gets traded, say in year 4?
It’s not a 35+ contract, so if he retires, he’s off the books entirely. Unless they retain salary on a trade, he would also be off the books.

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
Anyone got any thoughts as to why the annual value goes up and down like that? Could understand if it was front loaded, but don't get the random drop in year 3 (3m SB, 3m salary) only to be followed by 5m SB 5m salary the next year

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Anyone got any thoughts as to why the annual value goes up and down like that? Could understand if it was front loaded, but don't get the random drop in year 3 (3m SB, 3m salary) only to be followed by 5m SB 5m salary the next year
Probably protection for a potential labor stoppage but I'm not sure

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Those cap hit% are at the time of the signings. Because Ovie and Nicky signed for so long last time, they’ve had 10 years of cap inflation to reduce their cap hit% on the current rosters. They won’t have 10 years left for that to happen on these contracts.
Even then the Ovechkin deal will likely off set the 3% Backstrom increase.

Let’s assume the cap increases the standard $3-4 million ever year. That puts it at $88 million the first year of Ovi’s deal and even a deal of $11 million would only utilize 8% of the cap whereas he currently occupies 12%.

The next Ovechkin deal money balls us into potentially ending up with the same space occupied.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Also, the Caps aren't going full rebuild anytime in the foreseeable future whatsoever. So Nik or Ovi being traded is zero percent chance. This team will contend for a championship as long as they are here and for the playoffs for long after they are gone. Give them the NMC, they ain't going anywhere at all for any reason. They will both play until they each decide they've had enough.

Reactions: Calicaps

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I wonder how much more Nicky pockets but going it alone - and dumping the money grubbing lawyer who just re-uses a contract template.docx and scores big

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad