Player Discussion Nicklas Backstrom

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I think the lack of All Star games is because every team gets an all star and Ovie was always our player. Ovie even stopped going at some point to get more rest.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
He’s also one of just 23 players in NHL history to register at least 700 helpers before hitting 1,000 games. Twenty-one of 23 of those players are in the Hockey Hall of Fame; the remaining two are Jaromir Jagr and Sidney Crosby, who are not yet eligible for the HHOF and are still actively playing.

wow that’s cool.

Reactions: Calicaps

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
His rookie year with 13 games left Caps are 7 points out of a playoff spot and they need 20 points in those games for any chance, probably 22-24. They’re playing on NBC on a weekend afternoon against the Penguins and he deflects a Crosby pass past Huet with 28 seconds left for the game winner. Shittiest thing possible, he gives away a point, and like everyone in the world knows Caps fans hate losing to the Penguins. Caps finish 11-1-0 to make the playoffs on the last day, Backstrom with 3 goals 8 assists including scoring the game tying and GWGs vs Atlanta in the last 4 minutes after the lone loss vs Chicago.

Last edited:

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
There was a report that he was skating in full equipment but still not in an intense manner heralding a return.

At this point hoping for a January return.

I thought I also read somewhere that while he was skating, he "didn't look right".

Based on [personal speculation] I'm going to say we may have seen the last of Nick Backstrom on the ice for the Caps.

Mod edit: modified the post to remove “based on a source I can’t even remember.” Do not post information based on unverified sources or claim to have insider information. It sounds like this post was based on Tarik El-Bashir’s comment in The Athletic that Backstrom doesn’t “look quite right” skating during his rehab stint but it’s against forum rules to claim to have information from a source if you haven’t cleared the source or insider information claim with a moderator or site admin.

Last edited by a moderator:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I thought I also read somewhere that while he was skating, he "didn't look right".

Based on nothing more than this speculation from a source I cannot even remember, I'm going to say we may have seen the last of Nick Backstrom on the ice for the Caps.

TEB reported that. He said that both Oshie and Backstrom were skating before practice in full pads. He then said that Backstrom didn't look right

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
There was a report that he was skating in full equipment but still not in an intense manner heralding a return.

At this point hoping for a January return.

Its just guessing and analysis based on what little they've said but this situation seems to have been serious enough for surgery but rehab was an option. Hearing him talk about it, the previous surgery was not a good experience and if this is the same injury returning, he doesn't want to repeat it.

My fear is that there is no promise that rehab will get it done. The longer this light to medium non hockey skating goes on the more concerned I become. Of course I am working off thin info and could be totally wrong. Its just food for thought

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
That’s some massive doom and gloom Dave…..eesh.

I think that its unlikely but I can see the scenario where that's the deal. Backstrom apparantly doesn't want surgery. Its not clear that he doesn't need surgery. If he can't play without another surgery and would rather stop playing than get another surgery, then that is not a great scenario.

Since the team wont tell us anything other than he isn't ready to practice and he is week to week, its hard to know anything. What we know is that he made some comments about his hip and his last surgery about the same time that they decided to go the rehab route. The rehab route appears to be costing him at minimum the first 25% of the season without at the same time showing much progress toward playing.

It bares watching. I myself am planning on him playing around the all star break or the olympic break. But thats a long way off

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008

Based on nothing more than this speculation from a source I cannot even remember, I'm going to say we may have seen the last of Nick Backstrom on the ice for the Caps.
Sent chills down my spine ☹️

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Backstrom has spent all off season rehabbing. All of training camp and the current regular season rehabbing. Not sure what to think of a hip injury taking that long to rehab or why there was not a surgical option. Easy to be doom & gloom on this.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Backstrom has spent all off season rehabbing. All of training camp and the current regular season rehabbing. Not sure what to think of a hip injury taking that long to rehab or why there was not a surgical option. Easy to be doom & gloom on this.

This is just a guess. Ive seen his comments on the subject during the off season. His previous surgery(2015?) was apparantly a very unpleasant experience and he didn't want to repeat it. Its hard to know if surgery wasnt needed or he is trying to do all he can before getting surgery or if he would rather retire than have to have the surgery.

MacLellan after the playoff exit last season said something along the lines that what to do about Backstrom's injury had not been decided yet. Thats really all we have. I see no sign that he is close to returning. At the same time I see no sign whatever that the Caps are ready to make a move to use his LTIRd salary cap space. So, they must be thinking he is going to come back

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
This is just a guess. Ive seen his comments on the subject during the off season. His previous surgery(2015?) was apparantly a very unpleasant experience and he didn't want to repeat it. Its hard to know if surgery wasnt needed or he is trying to do all he can before getting surgery or if he would rather retire than have to have the surgery.

MacLellan after the playoff exit last season said something along the lines that what to do about Backstrom's injury had not been decided yet. Thats really all we have. I see no sign that he is close to returning. At the same time I see no sign whatever that the Caps are ready to make a move to use his LTIRd salary cap space. So, they must be thinking he is going to come back

Fair points here. I do recall him bit about the previouis surgery being difficult recovery. I just can't recall another non-surgical hip rehab that lasted this long that turned out well but I'm getting older and the memory is not as good. Guess trade deadline will tell the tale.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad