Player Discussion Nicklas Backstrom

stanleycaps18

I cheer for laundry
Jul 10, 2003
Chocolate City
washcaps.com
I think you have to look at it as Ovi and Nicky ending their careers here. The only hitch, I suppose, is if Ovi is in striking distance at the end of the contract and wants another year or something to try to get it. If he is still that productive, it is a good problem to have. That said, With Kuzy, Vrana and three top skill guys in the pipeline, along with Carlson and Orlov in their primes, I think 5 years from now could still be a very interesting team.

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
100% overpaid, but as previously stated dude has been a bargain his whole career. Love to see him and Ovi go down as legends together. No problem with the overpay, he's earned it.

Obviously not the same situation, but if Tom Brady leaves the Patriots, it just slightly alters the lens of his career. I'm glad we won't have a situation like that.

#CapsLegend

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
I wonder how much more Nicky pockets but going it alone - and dumping the money grubbing lawyer who just re-uses a contract template.docx and scores big
Interesting thought. Wonder if Nicky presented it to the team as a way to make the numbers work better for both? Don't screw me, and I don't add an extra 10% or whatever the going rate is.

Reactions: RandyHolt

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Interesting thought. Wonder if Nicky presented it to the team as a way to make the numbers work better for both? Don't screw me, and I don't add an extra 10% or whatever the going rate is.

Agent fees are in the 3-5% range, so not trivial at all when talking about $50M deals, but probably not enough to make cap considerations the driver. I think Nick said he felt like he knew enough and wanted to learn the rest about the process, and didn't feel the need to spend the agent fees, but I doubt it altered the deal much. He got the same exact cap % on this deal as he got on his first long deal, so the two sides obviously agreed on overall compensation numbers.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->