GDT: SAUNAMEN @ long pile end knob wompers' herbadashery

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
The funny thing about playoffs is that often a guy/line that sucks in one round can be stars in the next.

Isles/Tampa/ vegas not good matchups for Necas though.

That's playoffs though...time and space doesn't exist like in regular season games, and that's what he needs to elevate his game. Most teams will stifle that like the Isles have.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I’m still not sure what to make of this team. We’re up 3-0 in the series, yes, but Game 1 & 3 were pretty poor performances, and even though we dominated Game 2, it took a miraculous comeback to get that win. And this is against a team that’s considered one of the worst in the playoffs.

Should we be excited because we’re getting the wins and there’s still another level that we can play at? Or concerned that we haven’t played our best at a time of the year where our best is likely going to be needed, more often than not? Because if we do face the Rangers next round (and it’s looking likely), performances like the last 3 games are going to find us on the opposite end of the possible sweep.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
GDT: - long pile end knob wompers @ SAUNA

ONCE AGAIN I MUST TEMPORARILY YIELD MY GDT DUTY UPON ANOTHER.

@Surrounded By Ahos WILL YOU RISE TO THE OCCASION MY FRIEND? WILL YOU RIDE THE PATH OF VENGEANCE UNDERNEATH THE BLUE SKY?

BE WARY THOUGH… SPIRITS RARELY BARGAIN. @3CanesInTheBox
1714126921905.gif

JustPenalties

Jan 17, 2024
Win is a win, but I still arent that confident about this team. On the other hand its nice to see that Canes can just take a routine win, but... we have to admit that Freddie was the difference in this game. I am surprised that Islanders played kinda softly, I was expecting a lot more physicality and was a bit scared Islanders would just start to do all kinds of but dirty s*** but they didnt.

And what the f*** were those Islander fans doing? It was only a one goal game, few minutes left and they were just sitting there quietly.. I allmost feel bad for the Islander players, they are doing their best and the home crowd is not even trying to cheer for them.

Last edited:

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Gonna need TDA to step up a lot more than he did last night, because he dragged Skjei all the way down with him last night, and we can't have that happen, especially if we close this series out and play NYR the next round, and anyone we play beyond.

Hoping last night was just rust, but if it continues we might need to consider alternative plans

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
Am I hearing things or are these guys blatantly rooting for the islanders?
Probably getting paid by the game so they want a longer series.

Helluva save but im pretty sure that would have been called back for GI
Thankfully he saved it cause I don't trust our luck with GI reviews, even the obvious ones.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Probably getting paid by the game so they want a longer series.

Thankfully he saved it cause I don't trust our luck with GI reviews, even the obvious ones.

I’m fairly certain we’ve had that exact situation play out against us before (tied up player accidentally takes out goalie’s skates) and it wasn’t determined to be GI. That doesn’t mean much overall, but given the situation of the game and our history, I would have been surprised to see it overturned.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I'm not too worried about us not "playing well". I think the Canes played a very good game. Of course we'd get a push from the Islanders. I wasn't able to watch a few parts of the game, but from what I saw the Isles didn't get a ton of quality looks in the crease - we were there defensively for the most part and covered. Andersen was very good, but he was also able to see almost all the shots the Islanders threw at him. I did think our best period was the 2nd, which is ironically the period we were outscored in. This to me looked like a really good team playing a mediocre team. The mediocre team appeared to play "harder" but it didn't result in many grade A scoring chances.

Probably the most baffling thing is how we've had several occasions where one of our D leaves coverage to double team the puck carrier and leaves a player alone in the slot. Burns has done that and also DeAngelo has missed some assignments last night. The players should know the man to man system well at this point. It doesn't seem like genius coaching by the Islanders, just some mental mistakes on our part.

Have we scored more than last year? Last year we scored 2, 4, 1, 5, 2, and 2 goals in our games played. 2.67 goals/game. This year, it's 3, 5, and 3 for 3.67 goals/game. But, this year we've had 2 empty netters, so really 3.00 goals/game (last year Canes had no ENGs). It's still more impressive that we're closing out games really well.

The next opponent, should we advance, will be a better team for sure. If we play the Rangers, they are also very good defensively but they have a lot more facets to their game. They're excellent on the PP. They have very good goaltending. I like how their defensemen play aggressively. I'm concerned about how well we can kill penalties, and how our 2nd line matches with them, and if they can exploit Tony DeAngelo defensively. At the same time, we're better 5 on 5. We have more firepower offensively than the last time we played these guys. All that's in the future though, and I shouldn't look forward to the next series when this one isn't done.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Again, we are playing the Islanders, and what they do very, very well is disrupt other teams. They disrupt other teams and make it look like bad, sloppy hockey, then they get occasional bits of offense off the counterpunch when they get a break the other way.

And we just keep coming and totally overwhelm them. That's how you beat a system like that- just keep pressuring with volume. If they break up 9 plays you'll have a 10th they can't break up. I'm not worried about looking bad, the looking bad is a side effect of the tactical choices both teams are making.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
Maybe we should try TDA and Slavin together and pair Burns with Skjei? TDA and Slavin worked well in the past. Though Burns seems to be good for a couple of boneheaded plays a game with Slavin already, not so sure how he would look next to Brady…

Honesty, advanced metrics aside, I thought Tony was ok. Rod even gave him praise after the game.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Again, we are playing the Islanders, and what they do very, very well is disrupt other teams. They disrupt other teams and make it look like bad, sloppy hockey, then they get occasional bits of offense off the counterpunch when they get a break the other way.

And we just keep coming and totally overwhelm them. That's how you beat a system like that- just keep pressuring with volume. If they break up 9 plays you'll have a 10th they can't break up. I'm not worried about looking bad, the looking bad is a side effect of the tactical choices both teams are making.

What happened in the third period last night was not "disruption, with the occasional counterpunch" from the Islanders. The Islanders were the ones that came at us in waves and overwhelmed us, and all we could do most of the period was dump the puck down the ice.

Obviously, it's expected to get a pushback from the opposing team looking for the tying goal, especially to prevent going down 3-0 in the series. But even Rod said postgame that the third period wasn't what he drew up.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho

And the point I'm trying to make is that we're beating their system with less than (in some case much less) effort than I've seen this team exert for other matchups. Which will only bode well for us down the road. Maybe it just looks that way, but I could be convinced that it's also our game plan. You can visibly see the team ramp it up if the Isles are starting to get more dangerous. Game 2 being an outlier, where I think it got away from us. From my perspective the team never seemed out of it even down 3-0.

Either way, we're up 3-0 in the series. I think there's probably data to support some of our theories good and bad, but the only thing that really matters is they're winning.

Last edited:

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
And the point I'm trying to make is that we're beating their system with less than (in some case much less) effort than I've seen this team exert for other matchups. Which will only bode well for us down the road. Maybe it just looks that way, but I could be convinced that it's also our game plan. You can visibly see the team ramp it up if the Isles are starting to get more dangerous. Game 2 being an outlier, where I think it got away from us. From my perspective the team never seemed out of it even down 3-0.

Either way, we're up 3-0 in the series. I think there's probably data to support some of our theories good and bad, but the only thing that really matters is they're winning.
I remember playing the Lightning in 2020 or 2021. It felt every game like we were so close. Their goalie was outstanding. They "capitalized" and we didn't. We had more energy and effort.

In reality, they were the better team.

Last edited:

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL

I’d add that although isles had a bunch of hits in this series, it’s not the devastating types that are occurring in other series.

Even Caps have been more physical versus the Rags than Isles against us.

That bodes well down the road.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I’d add that although isles had a bunch of hits in this series, it’s not the devastating types that are occurring in other series.

Even Caps have been more physical versus the Rags than Isles against us.

That bodes well down the road.

Well, yes and no. We're already down Fast and Pesce (who will obviously not be 100% when/if he returns). And Jarvis and Chatfield had some "hold your breath" moments last night. We're walking a tight rope, injury-wise.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Well, yes and no. We're already down Fast and Pesce (who will obviously not be 100% when/if he returns). And Jarvis and Chatfield had some "hold your breath" moments last night. We're walking a tight rope, injury-wise.
Not due to physical play by isles though except for perhaps Chatfield. Fast was game 82, pesce non contact, Jarvis friendly fire.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I think Isles fans (based on various posts I've seen) assumed their team would give Carolina more of a run for the money physically. I think it's pretty clear were not as much of a pushover team as we once were. Not to say we're Vegas but players like Aho, Jarvis, and suprisingly Guentzel are of the small but mighty variety. I'm not even sure you could call Aho small anymore. Dude is on that Brindy fast track to gains.

Fa9qlrVX0AAQkxl.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad