Player Discussion Nick Suzuki Part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
LOL I have the same problem, dunno why but I refuse to round up to 5'10'' and say 5'9.5''.
My father was like that...he would never say he was 6 foot and would even argue with his doctor when they called him 6 foot...he'd say "I'm 5'11 and three-quarters", like it was some kind of insult when he was called 6 foot...never understood it and he'd never explain it...

Reactions: Wats

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
LOL I have the same problem, dunno why but I refuse to round up to 5'10'' and say 5'9.5''.

If you are shorter and you lie about your height by even a half inch you will chirped. Tall people get away with this all the time tho. Guy I work with says he’s 6’6 I said I don’t think your 6’6 man. So we pulled out the tape took the work boots off sure as shit 6’4 3/4. He can’t argue about it either cause we had a level and everything. We are carpenters after all. But yet I still catch him telling people he’s 6’6. I said I don’t even want you telling people you are 6’5 bro. Lol. f***in tall people get away with this all the time. Thing that annoys me about this guy to is he hates sports, of all kinds. Parents tried to put him in as a kid but nope not interested. I was trying to make WHL teams in 2003-2004. Probably the worst time in hockey history to be short. Coulda used that height lol. That’s why I’m so specific because man did they make a huge deal about size back then. It’s unfortunate tho I was blessed with speed and the moosejaw warriors made me go from 173 to 190. My speed took a hit even tho I trained the right way. I’m still fast at 34 but it was never quite the same after that dumb bulk. It’s not smart going up to much from your natural weight

Last edited:
Reactions: Wats

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Still getting points while being average.

if you take out the poor run he had in Feb where he had 2 pts in 9 games, the rest of the season he's got 25 pts in 32 games which is a pace of 64 pts. So of course you can't take out those bad games but it shows that perhaps in a non condensed schedule with more experience under his belt he can be a 60-70+ player without it being much of a stretch at all imo.

The question just becomes, can be be more or even much more, only time will tell and he will need continued improvement with his physical tools but the IQ and skill are there to do a lot of damage especially if he's got help like KK turning into a legit threat so teams can't load up on Suzuki (when he's older), and they have a few legit scoring threats on the wing like Tiffoli, Caufield hopefully, etc.. (not saying just on his line, we will need 2 good top 6 lines plus solid depth on the bottom 6 as it's unlikely that Suzuki and KK are ever going to be close to a Crosby/Malkin like duo. Of course we can hope but the reality is more likely we will have to hope that we have 2 really good young centers that can both put up north of 60 pts with wingers that can do the same and solid depth. A big start to that will be getting puck moving blueliners so that our PP is much better and the forwards get set up better.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
SuZuki isnt playing his best hockey right now, but few things show to me he could become better than KK. He already had a long stetch where he was a ppg player at the beginning of the year. I never saw KK done that. On PP, he has a better arsenal than KK. He can scores or set up a nice play who brings a goal. He is not playing with consistenty right now, but I think its more about shape condition/young age. There is a difference between him and KK. They are both young, but I prefer suzuki progression wheres lack of consistency is normal. KK will have to learn and improve on many aspect of his game, wheres it more concerning imo

70Stang

Feb 21, 2008
I'm curious to know if he's playing hurt? He looks awfully slow out there and non existant to the eye test. Funny how last year he was the better player between him and KK and now its the opposite. Im hoping he gets it going and not having to play with 92 should really help. As for 92 he needs to sit and never play again.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
My father was like that...he would never say he was 6 foot and would even argue with his doctor when they called him 6 foot...he'd say "I'm 5'11 and three-quarters", like it was some kind of insult when he was called 6 foot...never understood it and he'd never explain it...
Just an honest man.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Suzuki's average or slightly above average skating will hold him back IMO. I love both Suzuki and KK equally but I think KK has a higher ceiling

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Suzuki's average or slightly above average skating will hold him back IMO. I love both Suzuki and KK equally but I think KK has a higher ceiling

The weird part is that every couple of games there's some moment where he has to hustle to get somewhere. It might be a loose puck, or a backcheck where he's the guy responsible. But in those times he's had a big burst of speed. Then he doesn't use it for the rest of the game.

It would be too simple to call it laziness, but it's like he's not able to sustain a high speed rather than not able to create a high speed. If he can improve his conditioning, maybe that underlying speed is still there.

Or maybe he just doesn't play a speed style, and would rather slow the game down and make plays.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The weird part is that every couple of games there's some moment where he has to hustle to get somewhere. It might be a loose puck, or a backcheck where he's the guy responsible. But in those times he's had a big burst of speed. Then he doesn't use it for the rest of the game.

It would be too simple to call it laziness, but it's like he's not able to sustain a high speed rather than not able to create a high speed. If he can improve his conditioning, maybe that underlying speed is still there.

Or maybe he just doesn't play a speed style, and would rather slow the game down and make plays.

His acceleration is actually pretty good. He closes gaps and I'm impressed at times. However, his ability to carry the puck from our end to the other end is limited and he has to pass the puck. I see more ability with KK to be a puck possession center to be honest.

But Suzuki is very clever and he knows the areas he needs to improve. I just hope he stays hungry to keep improving. That is key to development as he heads to his mid 20's. When does his prime start? Hard to say but the average is around age 24-26 range. If he reaches prime and is a pt/game player at 22/23, he's fringe elite level IMO.

Reactions: Canadienna

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Its just reaction time and realizing its too late. I was like that when I played sports too, pretty sure its that because he has shown he can be fast.

One thing that would help is just learning to play with more pace overall.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
His acceleration is actually pretty good. He closes gaps and I'm impressed at times. However, his ability to carry the puck from our end to the other end is limited and he has to pass the puck. I see more ability with KK to be a puck possession center to be honest.

But Suzuki is very clever and he knows the areas he needs to improve. I just hope he stays hungry to keep improving. That is key to development as he heads to his mid 20's. When does his prime start? Hard to say but the average is around age 24-26 range. If he reaches prime and is a pt/game player at 22/23, he's fringe elite level IMO.

Agree completely. That quality is what separates good from great.

Its just reaction time and realizing its too late. I was like that when I played sports too, pretty sure its that because he has shown he can be fast.

One thing that would help is just learning to play with more pace overall.

Also agree. Once he loses body position he kind of dogs it and just waits for someone else to fix it.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014

I think it's a mix of things. In certain situations, it's obviously lack of hustle which is something a bunch of us criticized about him in the WJC. He's just too casual in certain situations.

But you can't deny that the current schedule is tough on the team and Suzuki has played a lot of tough minutes this year. Most guys his age have a hard time with the regular schedule, now imagine this one for a guy who's not really a smooth skater nor too much of a physical specimen.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

That’s my height and I understand it. I’m not 6’.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Playoff Suzuki- Activated

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad