Player Discussion Nick Suzuki Part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
He needs to freaking work on his first 1-2 steps. This guy has no acceleration, no speed. Hope he will work on it in the offseason. He'll become such an offensive force then. Something's so odd about his skating lately. Too heavy or something.
100% true. Kept saying it when he was in junior, he's very slow.

Then somehow last year he looked like he had worked on it, accelerastion wasn't great but speed was fine. This year he took a step back it seems. Injury?

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
100% true. Kept saying it when he was in junior, he's very slow.

Then somehow last year he looked like he had worked on it, accelerastion wasn't great but speed was fine. This year he took a step back it seems. Injury?

Mental/physical exhaustion caused by a whole lot of factors, form the schedule to his line sometimes being unable to leave the dzone causing his shifts to extend too much and probably his weight gain.

He looks much better since Weber was taken out of the line-up. ;)

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Mental/physical exhaustion caused by a whole lot of factors, form the schedule to his line sometimes being unable to leave the dzone causing his shifts to extend too much and probably his weight gain.

He looks much better since Weber was taken out of the line-up. ;)
Can’t wait to watch suzuki next year with few pounds in less in a normal calendar. His offensive flair is really impressive and he is gonna be close to be a PPG imo with right winger

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Nice to see Suzuki back at what he was earlier in the season. For the Habs to have success they need him to produce like he has been doing in the past 10 days or so. Petry is the other guy, when both are on their game, were a much harder team to play againsr!

Completely agree, great observation.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Can’t wait to watch suzuki next year with few pounds in less in a normal calendar. His offensive flair is really impressive and he is gonna be close to be a PPG imo with right winger

I think a PPG is pushing it a bit. Might hit 60-70 pts a year. Just look at Barzal, he is pretty awesome but he isn't even a PPG player. If Suzuki hits regularly 60 + points per year and being as good as he is defensively, we will have found our 1st C. Not an elite one but a good one.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

Just needs to work on his legs, being a bit more powerful would help. He needs the weight for his style of play.

Reactions: jaffy27

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Just needs to work on his legs, being a bit more powerful would help. He needs the weight for his style of play.
I rather like suzuki to work on a sort of thing. When I look about what Kk needs to (work) about few poster (agility/balance/shot/quickness). Im just desesperate. Lol.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
I think a PPG is pushing it a bit. Might hit 60-70 pts a year. Just look at Barzal, he is pretty awesome but he isn't even a PPG player. If Suzuki hits regularly 60 + points per year and being as good as he is defensively, we will have found our 1st C. Not an elite one but a good one.
If he continues his pace the next few weeks he will already be in that range if you pro-rate the point totals.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
On pace for 56 pts over 82games. Even tho he went through a 20 games streak of abysmal hockey.

Not bad for a 2nd year.
Coming into the year, I was hoping for that type of production if everything went well.

A lot went wrong and he still is about to pull it off.

When he puts everything together, and I'm sure he will, he will be a legit #1 C.

He is dominant at his best, carries the team on his back.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Coming into the year, I was hoping for that type of production if everything went well.

A lot went wrong and he still is about to pull it off.

When he puts everything together, and I'm sure he will, he will be a legit #1 C.

He is dominant at his best, carries the team on his back.
Some props from Botterill ...

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I rather like suzuki to work on a sort of thing. When I look about what Kk needs to (work) about few poster (agility/balance/shot/quickness). Im just desesperate. Lol.

give it a year, your desperation might not be so severe lol

a year ago, Suzuki put up 1 point in his last 9 games of the regular season before COVID shut down & iirc, there were lots of posters lamenting his limitations and flaws.

kids are almost exactly 1-calendar year apart, so will be interesting to see how the same age comparisons look year over year.

My bet, for the next 2-3 years, JKO will be roughly a year behind Nick's impact level, and both will keep ramping that up year over year before stabilizing at elite or just-below elite level performers as they hit their mid-20's prime

Reactions: 417

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I kept saying to those that were talking about how he should be sent down or put in the press box that this is an unusual season to begin with that got even tougher when the NHL opted to go with a schedule of 24 games in just 42 days. That is just so insane to play that many games on top of an already condensed schedule, there was going to blow back from this either in the form of injuries or guys just wearning down mentally and or physically. I really don't think enough is being said about just how difficult the schedule is and how it impacts these players.

Suzuki being a 2nd year player that is being asked to carry the load offensively since Danault has struggled so badly considering where he's been the past few years for us and KK has fallen off the map in April.

There's not telling how good this kid will be though. I would bet everything I own he gets in the 60-70 pt range and then it's a question of down the road can he do even better.

Look at this season, as crazy as it's been, he's had 2 stretches of 9 games where he had points in only 2 of those 9 games. So in 18 games he had points in just 4. The rest of the season he has 29 pts in 32 games.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
give it a year, your desperation might not be so severe lol

a year ago, Suzuki put up 1 point in his last 9 games of the regular season before COVID shut down & iirc, there were lots of posters lamenting his limitations and flaws.

kids are almost exactly 1-calendar year apart, so will be interesting to see how the same age comparisons look year over year.

My bet, for the next 2-3 years, JKO will be roughly a year behind Nick's impact level, and both will keep ramping that up year over year before stabilizing at elite or just-below elite level performers as they hit their mid-20's prime
I have a lot of patience hahah. I give to him until 22/23 yo to evaluate what we have between hands for KK. I would never trade him for a package, thornton mistake is an exemple. Maybe My expectation about a 3rd oa pick were maybe too high? Don’t know. I just see so many elite forward coming into the league younger, and being dominant player early in their career. But the way Suzuki is playing, personnally, he is more the type of player I prefer. Imo suzuki belongs some elite attribute really hard to teach to every player who tells me he will be an elite player during his career. Like caufield. I Just watch few games in the NHL. Today you ask me. You are building your core. Wich one you take between caufield and KK? Im running with caufield.. but. Lets see

Reactions: jaffy27

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
I kept saying to those that were talking about how he should be sent down or put in the press box that this is an unusual season to begin with that got even tougher when the NHL opted to go with a schedule of 24 games in just 42 days. That is just so insane to play that many games on top of an already condensed schedule, there was going to blow back from this either in the form of injuries or guys just wearning down mentally and or physically. I really don't think enough is being said about just how difficult the schedule is and how it impacts these players.

Suzuki being a 2nd year player that is being asked to carry the load offensively since Danault has struggled so badly considering where he's been the past few years for us and KK has fallen off the map in April.

There's not telling how good this kid will be though. I would bet everything I own he gets in the 60-70 pt range and then it's a question of down the road can he do even better.

Look at this season, as crazy as it's been, he's had 2 stretches of 9 games where he had points in only 2 of those 9 games. So in 18 games he had points in just 4. The rest of the season he has 29 pts in 32 games.
Absolutely. On top of the general anxiety inducing times we live in - being in a bubble with the team, away from friends and family, all the traveling they've had to do, etc.

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
Suzuki shooting(and scoring) more from his position on the powerplay has perfectly opened up that long pass to Toffoli across the ice. Having some actual set plays that work is letting that wave on the powerplay set up nicely. Hopefully they can keep it up

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Suzuki shooting(and scoring) more from his position on the powerplay has perfectly opened up that long pass to Toffoli across the ice. Having some actual set plays that work is letting that wave on the powerplay set up nicely. Hopefully they can keep it up

And KK, Cole, and Romy seem to be developing some chemistry on the 2nd unit...

Romy's not there yet, but will get there.

Reactions: Sagikev

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I had hoped he'd pace for like 55 points this year. He's now pacing for 59. He's heating up at the right time too.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Ya the Caufield hype has overshadowed that Suzuki has become one of those guys who’s going to get points every single night. 80 point seasons are an eventuality. 100 point seasons are not out of the question- especially with the chemistry he has with Toffoli.

I remember when Toffoli signed he basically said he came here to play with Suzuki after watching him in the bubble. Guess he saw a guy who would be a perfect fit for him. Two guys with just unreal skill and IQ who like to slow the game down and then pounce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad