Player Discussion Nick Suzuki Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Stan Mikita
Mikita was a better skater and a tough dude at the beginning of his career, almost a goon. I can see some similarities. God, I loved the way he played.

Funny story, for the longest time I thought he lied about his heritage. I didn't believe he was from Czechoslovakia. I thought he was First Nation. Till this day when I see pix of Stan, he looks First Nation to me.

Last edited:

goforit

Apr 14, 2010
Montreal
More hockey IQ than Saku who was trying to play bigger than he was and ended up being injured way too often.

Suzuki is my new favourite Habs player.

The three 'injuries' that Koivu suffered were:

-Cancer
-Punctured eye
-Knee injury

None of those could be related to playing too big (shoulder, concussion, broken bones, etc). Koivu's way of playing the game was more than fine. As much as I like Suzuki, and I also think that he'll be a stud, he still has ways to go before bringing what Koivu has brought before those injuries.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think the Datsyuk comp is the best one. Not quite as dynamic with the puck, but just a tremendous combo of smarts and skill- able to steal pucks and create offence the other way.

Reactions: FLHabs

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I should have stipulated the forward position. One could argue that Suzuki, Subban and Price are the 3 best players the habs have drafted or traded for in 20 years.

when he gets there but Suzuki will still need to put up the numbers, which i'm sure he will but until he does there's Kovalev who was a damn treat to watch and even Domi putting up over 70 pts. Plus for draft picks you got to have Pac, dude is a beast at scoring goals 5 on 5. One hell of a pick for where we got him

Reactions: Gains and Walrus26

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
I should have stipulated the forward position. One could argue that Suzuki, Subban and Price are the 3 best players the habs have drafted or traded for in 20 years.

It may work out that way. For now though, I'd have to say that I'd have to give the nod to Pacioretty or Gallagher over a guy that's played less than a season. Also McDonagh.

It is shocking how few stellar picks there are to choose from in the last twenty years.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Kovalev scored 15 goals in only 31 playoffs games with the Habs.

He was a money player.

If the rest of team would have elevated their game in the playoffs in 2004, 2006 ans 2008....the Canadiens would have reached at least the final once.

Actually, only Kovalev and Koivu were good in the playoffs. Souray, Markov, Ryder etc...were bad

I spoke with Carbonneau one day maybe 1 ou 2 years after Kovy left and he told me: The fans and the medias thought that I had problems with Kovy...he said comes the third period or playoffs times..he was glad To have 27 on his team because he loved the ultimate pressure....he said I knew that I could count on him To make the big play

Jul 6, 2016
It may work out that way. For now though, I'd have to say that I'd have to give the nod to Pacioretty or Gallagher over a guy that's played less than a season. Also McDonagh.

It is shocking how few stellar picks there are to choose from in the last twenty years.

Some were dealt away.... McDonagh, Sergachev... and some potential good players that could had been drafted like Carlson (who was available, but Habs traded their pick for Tanguay... And DeBrincat and Girard who were available in a second round, but Habs traded their two second-rounders to Chicago for Shaw !!!!!!!! That's lot of talents.

Reactions: 26Mats

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Kovalev scored 15 goals in only 31 playoffs games with the Habs.

He was a money player.

If the rest of team would have elevated their game in the playoffs in 2004, 2006 ans 2008....the Canadiens would have reached at least the final once.

Actually, only Kovalev and Koivu were good in the playoffs. Souray, Markov, Ryder etc...were bad

I spoke with Carbonneau one day maybe 1 ou 2 years after Kovy left and he told me: The fans and the medias thought that I had problems with Kovy...he said comes the third period or playoffs times..he was glad To have 27 on his team because he loved the ultimate pressure....he said I knew that I could count on him To make the big play

Kovy was such an impactful player. He was frustrating at times, but when came the time to elevate his game, he led the team. Too bad we had a team of scrubs and miscasts, as always.

Jul 6, 2016
The three 'injuries' that Koivu suffered were:

-Cancer
-Punctured eye
-Knee injury

None of those could be related to playing too big (shoulder, concussion, broken bones, etc). Koivu's way of playing the game was more than fine. As much as I like Suzuki, and I also think that he'll be a stud, he still has ways to go before bringing what Koivu has brought before those injuries.

He had more than one legs injury, and he was never the same after the first one. Which was way before his cancer and eye injury.

Reactions: Habs Icing

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Some were dealt away.... McDonagh, Sergachev... and some potential good players that could had been drafted like Carlson (who was available, but Habs traded their pick for Tanguay... And DeBrincat and Girard who were available in a second round, but Habs traded their two second-rounders to Chicago for Shaw !!!!!!!! That's lot of talents.

True, however speculative. No way to know that’s who the team drafts those seasons, rumours or not.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Dumont: MTL@PIT: Looking back while looking ahead - Suzuki (nhl.com/canadiens)
Though before we get to the goal, Suzuki made a difference on the scoresheet, he also made a lot of smart, simple plays that led to a slew of chances, including drawing a penalty and forcing several turnovers, as well as his excellent defensive play on the penalty kill.

When I watch Suzuki play, I see a rookie with 10 years of NHL experience.

Not only does Suzuki create the turnover prior to the goal, but he also bamboozles Murray with the greatest of ease. Take a look at how Murray sets himself for a near-side save, while Suzuki picks apart the far-side corner. That subtle, yet crucial adjustment by Murray, opened up just enough space for a perfect shott. It's all about his body language prior to the shot, which screams "I'm going to make this easy on you," but only results in trust issues for opposing goaltenders.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Tourigny (Vidéo TVA Sports) - Suzuki : 20/08/03

«Plus on lui imposait de l’adversité, plus il levait son jeu d’un cran. C’est un joueur qui carbure à ce genre de situation.»

«Il peut jouer à différentes positions. Il est très bon au centre et il peut certainement jouer à l’aile. C’est le même prototype. Il n’est pas le joueur explosif qui va te faire sortir de ton siège, mais c’est un gars qui va te faire gagner des matchs de hockey!»

«Son coach peut lui faire confiance dans toutes les situations...»

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Has shown reliability (more than what I expected):

e69a6f6b-d5fe-11ea-b8ad-02fe89184577.jpg

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
He is clearly our most skilled and most consistent forward. He has basically emerged as our defacto 1C. We need to lean on him hard.

Reactions: DangerDave

puckie

Jan 19, 2020
Suzuki is like a version of Marner at C, less explosion.
Yes, totally like Marner except not as fast, not as good of a skater, less grit, not as good at carrying up the puck, and does not have as good of one timers. Besides that just like Marner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad