Player Discussion Nick Suzuki Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He seems to have earned himself a nice run with good players like Kovalchuk on his wings.

With Drouin and Byron coming back, his linemates (as well as Domi's) should continue to be good - unlike most of the year.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Can we fast forward into the future where we complain that Nick isn't a 1st line C and is holding back "insert high draft pick here" from greatness?

Just want to get ahead of the board and turn on him before everyone does.

Reactions: angry pirate

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Can we fast forward into the future where we complain that Nick isn't a 1st line C and is holding back "insert high draft pick here" from greatness?

Suzuki is pacing for nearly 50 points in his rookie season. No one will be complaining about him playing first line minutes, trust me.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

I'm positive Suzuki's going to be a legitimate 1 or 2.

That Julien actually played him more than Danault is really all you need to know. I'm not worried there. We all want guys who can hurt you in different ways and that's what he is.

Danault, not so much. He's a compliment to any line he's on. But he lacks the skill.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Pierre Lebrun was talking about Suzuki last night and the progression he made from Sept of 18 to Sept of 19. And he said imagine if he improves his power skating this summer where he gets an extra step.... It's exactly what I've been thinking about as well. If he can get that extra step... we might have our star boys!

Hungry to improve? Suzuki's got that IMO.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Let's just hope KK is hungry to improve too.

Agreed. Not too concerned about it yet. I think we need to see how he looks when he fills into that frame. Age 21-23 range is what I say. Mantha type time for development?

I think Poehling is hungry to improve as well. Curious to see how he looks heading into next season. Who knows about Brook and Fleury.

Barilko

You are what you is
Jan 30, 2016
If only our blind leaders could land a true number 1 Center

2—Suzuki 3-Danault. 4— Poehling. Would look pretty solid for the first time in oh too many years.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I'm positive Suzuki's going to be a legitimate 1 or 2.

That Julien actually played him more than Danault is really all you need to know. I'm not worried there. We all want guys who can hurt you in different ways and that's what he is.

Danault, not so much. He's a compliment to any line he's on. But he lacks the skill.

Suzuki is pacing for nearly 50 points in his rookie season. No one will be complaining about him playing first line minutes, trust me.

I guess if his name was Dick Dzuki then maybe fans would start complaining LOL.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
This guy is awesome. Looks like development didn't suck with him. OR maybe he is just actually good but nah that's never it.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
I had a good laugh on the main boards, some dooche trying to trade Suzuki + Caufield for Brady Tkatchuk

Another guy trying to trade Suzuki, KK, Caufield + 2020 1st for Lafreniere LMAO

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I had a good laugh on the main boards, some dooche trying to trade Suzuki + Caufield for Brady Tkatchuk

Another guy trying to trade Suzuki, KK, Caufield + 2020 1st for Lafreniere LMAO

I wouldn’t trade Suzuki straight up for Tkachuk. I think Suzuki ends up the better player, especially positions considered.

KK on the other hand, looks like a horrible pick in hindsight.

McGuires Corndog

Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Suzuki already is the better player right now, much better, high talent high IQ

I think it’s pretty close. Tkachuk had a great rookie year last year, but he’s also only 1 month younger than Suzuki due to his late September birthday he was not eligible for the 2017 draft.

I think it would be a toss up depending on what your team needed. But just imagine had we drafted Tkachuk and he was on Suzuki’s wing.... that could of worked.

I had Tkachuk as a huge Do Not Draft(atleast not at 3), I was very wrong on that one.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
I think it’s pretty close. Tkachuk had a great rookie year last year, but he’s also only 1 month younger than Suzuki due to his late September birthday he was not eligible for the 2017 draft.

I think it would be a toss up depending on what your team needed. But just imagine had we drafted Tkachuk and he was on Suzuki’s wing.... that could of worked.

I had Tkachuk as a huge Do Not Draft(atleast not at 3), I was very wrong on that one.
I don’t think you were wrong, look at his numbers he’s nothing special right now, I think his ceiling is maximum 60 points. KK will be the better player and he’s a Centerman

Reactions: Jesperi Suzuki

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013

Most people on this board had Tkachuk out of their top 10. Lol.

Reactions: Redux91

McGuires Corndog

Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Most people on this board had Tkachuk out of their top 10. Lol.

That was the consensus on most of HF, not just the Habs board.

Most people also thought Cody Glass was a better prospect than Suzuki, and while that may still be the end result, it certainly doesn’t look that way at all right now.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
This guy is awesome. Looks like development didn't suck with him. OR maybe he is just actually good but nah that's never it.

The same thing was said last year about Kotka, which was also said when Galchenyuk was scoring 30 goals for us. None of it means anything since each player is his own and Suzuki is likely smarter then both while not having their skating concerns which in today's NHL is certainly very important. But still one just has to read last years posts on Kotka and how posters were telling me how wrong I was for wanting Kotka to spend another year in Liiga. Now he's considered garbage. We all know how fans were going nuts for Galchenyuk in his first few years but oh how did that story change in a hurry.

But guys with very high end skill should overcome any development issues as long as they don't have physical issues like skating, speed, size, strength, IQ, effort, it's the guys that aren't as skilled that can't just go on a tear and put up a few goals to get their confidence going.

Everyone should agree the development under MB has down right terrible. For me I have never seen an organization make so many mistakes and still be employed.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
The same thing was said last year about Kotka, which was also said when Galchenyuk was scoring 30 goals for us. None of it means anything since each player is his own and Suzuki is likely smarter then both while not having their skating concerns which in today's NHL is certainly very important. But still one just has to read last years posts on Kotka and how posters were telling me how wrong I was for wanting Kotka to spend another year in Liiga. Now he's considered garbage. We all know how fans were going nuts for Galchenyuk in his first few years but oh how did that story change in a hurry.

But guys with very high end skill should overcome any development issues, it's the guys that aren't as skilled that can't just go on a tear and put up a few goals to get their confidence going.

Everyone should agree the development under MB has down right terrible. For me I have never seen an organization make so many mistakes and still be employed.
I don't think playing Kotkaniemi in the NHL was the wrong call. He looked good and basically forced Plekanec to retire. I personally don't think he came to camp ready also injuries didn't help. Suzuki has looked great and better than Kotkaniemi last year. Let's not forget that Suzuki earned his spot on the team.

Would be nice if we could draft players like him but that's a huge order for Timmins who drafts by need no matter what.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't think playing Kotkaniemi in the NHL was the wrong call. He looked good and basically forced Plekanec to retire. I personally don't think he came to camp ready also injuries didn't help. Suzuki has looked great and better than Kotkaniemi last year. Let's not forget that Suzuki earned his spot on the team.

Would be nice if we could draft players like him but that's a huge order for Timmins who drafts by need no matter what.

It's very clear it was the wrong call, you don't go from playing that well to putting up 2 assists when you are a playmaker first. That's brutal.

Suzuki is 20 and coming off one of the best playoffs in OHL history, he should be better and is. That shouldn't be a knock on Kotka who needs to make the improvements in his skating and strength that Suzuki did as he made huge strides from his age 16 and 17 seasons when I saw him to where his skating is now. Of course he filled out and got stronger which he badly needed but did. Some guys clearly don't work hard enough, ala Kristo, Fischer, Collberg, etc... at that 18, 19, 20 age and think their talent will carry them. Good on Suzuki to show he's committed to becoming a very good NHLer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad